• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

injurai

Banned
http://cat023.watmm.com/

The Caustic Window LP - CAT023
Due to popular demand and folks missing out on the Kickstarter or having payment issues, Rephlex Records has agreed to offer a last-chance to purchase a digital copy of CAT023, The Caustic Window LP for a limited time via PayPal.

As with the Kickstarter, your purchase entitles you to a digital download of the Caustic Window LP. A download voucher will be sent to the email address you purchase this copy with in June 2014. This page will not stay up for long - once the digital download is ready for delivery or sooner, the page will be taken down.

Don't miss out on this last chance to legally own a copy of the Caustic Window LP.

okno

what's 88 palace?

Hahaha, 88 Palace is one of those places in Chinatown that acts as a "restaurant" during the day and night it turns into a "night club", although it mostly functions as a "night club."
Chinatown is a full of these weird little "clubs" now. They have a dual purpose of being a restaurant during the day and the a club at night.

The thing is this was cool and fun at first when only a handful of places (I'm talking like 4) were doing this, but now it's a trend and now it's just a shit show.

The sad thing is is that this is what the underground is being forced to do in Manhattan now. You can sugarcoat it all you want but it fucking sucks.

edit: I meant to mention the plethora of air quotes. Clubbing in Manhattan is a fucking joke. And I live in Manhattan.

edit edit: it's pretty funny to me as a former Chicagoan that he is playing at a more legitimate venue there than he is in NYC.

Shaneus

Hahaha, 88 Palace is one of those places in Chinatown that acts as a "restaurant" during the day and night it turns into a "night club", although it mostly functions as a "night club."
Chinatown is a full of these weird little "clubs" now. They have a dual purpose of being a restaurant during the day and the a club at night.

The thing is this was cool and fun at first when only a handful of places (I'm talking like 4) were doing this, but now it's a trend and now it's just a shit show.

The sad thing is is that this is what the underground is being forced to do in Manhattan now. You can sugarcoat it all you want but it fucking sucks.

edit: I meant to mention the plethora of air quotes. Clubbing in Manhattan is a fucking joke. And I live in Manhattan.

edit edit: it's pretty funny to me as a former Chicagoan that he is playing at a more legitimate venue there than he is in NYC.
Come to Melbourne!

Shaneus

Speaking of Melbourne, I noticed that Bok Bok is playing here soon. I have no idea who or what he/she/they do, but I saw them mentioned here. Thoughts?

Shaneus

I've had a listen and... yeah, I don't really think it's the sort of gig for me right now. Not that it'd be shit, but I think I'd have a hard time getting into it. Friday gigs lend themselves to either being really shit or really good, off the basis that I'm usually pretty knackered from work so I'm usually hypercritical of whoever's playing. Even then, and even if they're good, if I'm not super into what they're doing, I probably won't like it.

I'd love to get a job there. There would be 3 acts a week vying for my attention.
Melbourne, or London? ;) At least we have Late Nite Tuff Guy and he doesn't get into shitty Visa kerfuffles.

Fuck that sucks for you US folk :(

injurai

Banned
London. It's got everything I love music wise.

The place I intern at has offices over there, so If I get hired on full time I might look into transferring out there. I'd also love to find work at one of my favorite labels.

Dreaver

Protip: never cheap out on an adapter to convert your audio jack. I bought a cheap one, and guess what, the head broke off and was stuck INSIDE my controller.
10371662_10203061279764342_4742241327839490143_n.jpg

Opening the controller voids warranty, so I couldn't just screw it open (and warranty doesn't apply on this...). After trying different things like screwdrivers I finally managed to take the motherfucker out with a spoke.

Seriously, how the fuck is it possible this can break?

okno

Last minute alert: If you're in NYC I'm spinning again at Bossa Nova Civic Club from 7-10. Come get funky! I know there aren't a lot of us New Yorker folks here but eh.

bowery

Last minute alert: If you're in NYC I'm spinning again at Bossa Nova Civic Club from 7-10. Come get funky! I know there aren't a lot of us New Yorker folks here but eh.

<<< new yorker here, will hit up bossa nova eventually, will hit up the bicep show in output tomorrow tho would love to meet some gaf folks

Had a guy who uses only CDJS say to me "They dont have Cue buttons do they!?" when watching my clang together a Timecode vinyl mix. Gave me a good laugh if nothing else!

Shaneus

Protip: never cheap out on an adapter to convert your audio jack. I bought a cheap one, and guess what, the head broke off and was stuck INSIDE my controller.

Opening the controller voids warranty, so I couldn't just screw it open (and warranty doesn't apply on this...). After trying different things like screwdrivers I finally managed to take the motherfucker out with a spoke.

Seriously, how the fuck is it possible this can break?
What the fuck? I had no idea such a thing could even happen. Bizarre.

Thanks for the advance notice, tiger. Now I'm definitely not going... but only for spite.

gdt

I gotta throw out some love to Shanti Celeste. She's fantastic working with Behling and Simpson, and now she's moving up and releasing solo stuff.

What a fantastic voice, and now we know shes a great producer too. Her EP on Idle Hands, "On My Own", is fantastic.

Days Like This

On My Own

Second track especially. Such soulful catchy house.

miksushag

Made a summer mixtape
https://soundcloud.com/miksuswag/miksuswag-tampere-hotline-mixtape-1

escape from new york - I heard you were dead
d train - music
john carpenter & alan howarth - mirror image
oneohtrix point never - chrome country
the whispers - tonight
ronnie rudson - west coast poplock
zapp - dance floor
midnight star - midas touch
b.b.&q. band - dreamer
the system - it's passion
break machine - street dance
freeez - i.o.u
phenomena - jennifer
patrice rushen - forget me nots
kool & the gang - fresh
margie joseph - knockout
madonna - lucky star (us remix)
cherrelle - i didn't mean to turn you on
janet jackson - the pleasure principle
pretty poison - catch me i'm falling
daft punk - da funk
madonna - like a prayer

Shaneus

Can't say I really get it. None of the sounds in that video were very interesting... or good :/
He out-pretentiousnesses Skrillex. Gah.

He might be good, but it looks like one of the rare cases where a personality gets in the way of music.

Edit: It must be doing the rounds, it was uploaded a month or two ago but there are a lot of comments from the last day or so. Like this:
PMCDNzM.png

Edit #2: There's only one classically-trained (that I know of) electronic musician who has the goods. Cosmic Baby.

injurai

Banned

tis broken ; _ ;
I must see what this was.

He out-pretentiousnesses Skrillex. Gah.

He might be good, but it looks like one of the rare cases where a personality gets in the way of music.

Edit: It must be doing the rounds, it was uploaded a month or two ago but there are a lot of comments from the last day or so. Like this:
PMCDNzM.png

Edit #2: There's only one classically-trained (that I know of) electronic musician who has the goods. Cosmic Baby.

I watched a couple other videos of the guy. He is self-described queer and bisexual, so thats part of his presence. He doesn't seem full of himself at the expense of anyone else, he seems really aware of what he is doing. He acknowledge the marketability of what he is doing. That video is mostly to promote an organ he has spent years trying to design and perfect, guess he's really proud of his baby.

Thanks for turning me onto Cosmic Baby. This is some beautiful stuff.

Shaneus

I watched a couple other videos of the guy. He is self-described queer and bisexual, so thats part of his presence. He doesn't seem full of himself at the expense of anyone else, he seems really aware of what he is doing. He acknowledge the marketability of what he is doing. That video is mostly to promote an organ he has spent years trying to design and perfect, guess he's really proud of his baby.

Thanks for turning me onto Cosmic Baby. This is some beautiful stuff.
Fair enough on that, dude. I just wasn't a fan of his almost Las Vegas-magician-esque presence and grandeur.

No probs on Cosmic Baby, either. It's incredibly impressive shit, I'm just bummed that I was five years too young when he released that album and toured Australia :(

You might have known him as one half of the duo that did Cafe Del Mar (as Energy 52). Man, when trance was trance (or something) :(

Top Bottom