• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The new Ben Frost album, A U R O R A, is insanely good
Been obsessing over this one lately.

Hannah Diamond - Attachment
https://soundcloud.com/pcmus/attachment

I like that the boundaries in here get pushed back from time to time. Lord knows the ambient thread where I tried talking about AURORA initially doesn't really get any activity...

Recycle Culture has been on a tear this year, releasing a load of new tracks and EPs on bandcamp; this new mix of "Vacation Forever" is one of the most purely enjoyable, pleasant things I've heard out of him in a long while.

Ana Caprix remix for Doss' "The Way I Feel" is gorgeous.
His Seven Nights mix is so great, too.

okno

I like that the boundaries in here get pushed back from time to time. Lord knows the ambient thread where I tried talking about AURORA initially doesn't really get any activity...

Recycle Culture has been on a tear this year, releasing a load of new tracks and EPs on bandcamp; this new mix of "Vacation Forever" is one of the most purely enjoyable, pleasant things I've heard out of him in a long while.

Really digging Recycle Culture. Almost forgot about them, thanks!

It's nice to push the threshold. I've been getting fatigued by all the latest house and techno shit, it's getting to be overwhelmingly same-y recently. Need some ambient shit in my life right now. The new Orcas album is A M A Z I N G, if you haven't listened to it.

Shaneus

Oh yes, Recycle Culture. I still give Blood Parade a solid thrashing in my headphones every so often.

okno

Thought this might be worth mentioning in here because it's fucking awesome: The Soft Pink Truth - Why Do the Heathen Rage?

If you don't know, Soft Pink Truth is one half of Matmos, Drew Daniel. This side-project of his has been running since around 2001, and has traditionally been a study on queer culture and other some such. It's all pretty brilliant, and 'Do You Want to New Wave or Do You Want the Soft Pink Truth?' is just an awesome little left-field house album. This new album is all covers of heavy metal tracks, done in his classic house aesthetic. It's pretty fantastic.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hah, that's going to be interesting for sure. Big fan of Do You Party? but I've never actually listened to Do You Want... Also, am just now finding out that was all punk covers, so maybe a metal covers album isn't so weird after all.

This is lovely, and sounds perfect while sitting on a warm sunny couch (as I am currently) Journeymann & Khotin - Arboreal Harp Jam

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yowza.

Pinch - Solid Steel radio show 5/30

Dizzee Rascal _ Streetfighter _ White Label
Big E-D Feat Ruthless & Spider _ Gunshot (Terror Danjah Remix) _ FL Records
Creeper _ Bootleg _ White Label
Digital & Spirit _ Phantom Force _ Phantom Audio
Hidden Agenda _ Channel _ Metalheadz
Omni Trio _ Soul Of Darkness (Promenade 96 Rollout) _ Moving Shadow
Little Annie _ I Think Of You _ On-U Sound
Prefuse 73 _ Drum Machine, Cello, Headwrap _ Warp
Ron Hardy _ Music Box Classics Volume Two - Track 1 _ Partehardy
Walt J _ Divinity 01 _ Fit
Round Three Feat. Paul St Hilaire _ Acting Crazy (Club Vocal) _ Main Street
T++ _ Space Pong _ Erosion
Uusitalo _ Serti _ Force Inc
Shackleton _ Deadman, Death Dub Remix by King Midas _ Honest Jons
Kerridge _ Waiting For Love _ Downwards
DJ Stingray313 _ Sentiment _ Naked Lunch
Ed Rush _ Bludclot Artattack _ No U-Turn Records
Jeff Mills _ The Hacker _ Tresor

injurai

Banned
Yowza.

Pinch - Solid Steel radio show 5/30

Dizzee Rascal _ Streetfighter _ White Label
Big E-D Feat Ruthless & Spider _ Gunshot (Terror Danjah Remix) _ FL Records
Creeper _ Bootleg _ White Label
Digital & Spirit _ Phantom Force _ Phantom Audio
Hidden Agenda _ Channel _ Metalheadz
Omni Trio _ Soul Of Darkness (Promenade 96 Rollout) _ Moving Shadow
Little Annie _ I Think Of You _ On-U Sound
Prefuse 73 _ Drum Machine, Cello, Headwrap _ Warp
Ron Hardy _ Music Box Classics Volume Two - Track 1 _ Partehardy
Walt J _ Divinity 01 _ Fit
Round Three Feat. Paul St Hilaire _ Acting Crazy (Club Vocal) _ Main Street
T++ _ Space Pong _ Erosion
Uusitalo _ Serti _ Force Inc
Shackleton _ Deadman, Death Dub Remix by King Midas _ Honest Jons
Kerridge _ Waiting For Love _ Downwards
DJ Stingray313 _ Sentiment _ Naked Lunch
Ed Rush _ Bludclot Artattack _ No U-Turn Records
Jeff Mills _ The Hacker _ Tresor

yup, jammed to this all day
SS still remains the best show

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Skycell has weird crossover appeal. I've had numerous people ask me about it when I play it during my shift at work; that Millie & Andrea album got similar reactions from folks that never, ever listen to anything electronic.

okno

Skycell has weird crossover appeal. I've had numerous people ask me about it when I play it during my shift at work; that Millie & Andrea album got similar reactions from folks that never, ever listen to anything electronic.

I got so many people turned onto Millie & Andrea at my job too! I manage a cafe and my customers are all very, very wealthy, privileged, people who tend to just follow the hottest, newest trends, but, surprisingly, that album really struck a chord with everyone.

bowery

Night slugs and fade to mind are heading for world domination, I think they're going to be either an integral part of the next big dance movement or start entering mainstream pop production. It's a sin that producers like girl unit and bok bok aren't producing for mainstream rnb/pop artists right now after the kelela mixtape.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's a sin that producers like girl unit and bok bok aren't producing for mainstream rnb/pop artists right now after the kelela mixtape.

As an unashamed follower of the pop scene, it really continues to baffle me when a Big Name announces their new single/album and confidently declares "I'm working with ___!" and it's, like, Avicii or Calvin Harris or someone equally wretched and flat-out boring. There are so many incredible dudes from this side of things who could be elevating pop if the people in charge weren't so terrified of mixing it up now and then.

There are exceptions (Beyonce had some ace producers on her self titled) and the outlier acts (mostly r&b and Scandinavians, unsurprisingly) are definitely jumping onto this now, and if nothing else, the influences will become more apparent in seriously mainstream stuff over the next year or so. It's funny and embarrassing that we're still getting wub-wub brostep breakdowns in current pop songs...

miksushag

Just wait for the Flo Rida x Night Slugs colloboration. The pop scene is adapting to the trap phase at the moment, which really was perfected by Kanye in his yeezus lp imo. Just look at his direction to make the next big move in the game, the guy has a pretty good track record of utilizing interesting producers.

Imo the next big thing is this deep house sound that is up the bbc charts at the moment, shouldn't be long before the u.s artists starts making a mockery of the sound.

Dreaver

Really into Surgeon / Blawan kind of music lately, so made a mix. Pretty undergroundish mix with even a little bit of dubstep. Feedback is welcome.

Mix

tracklist said:
Mogwai - Fear Satan (Surgeon Remix) (with my own added hi-hats)
Oscar Mulero - 46 (Regis Antaganists Mix)
Aphex Twin - Phloam
Objekt - CLK Recovery
Nina Kraviz - Ghetto Kraviz (Steve Rachmad’s Scorp Interpretation)
Randomer - Lime Pie
Sleeparchive - 3
Jon Hopkins - Collider (Karenn Remix)
Octave One - Nicolette (Ken Ishi Remix)
Karenn - Studio 3
Vex’d - Angels
Lone - Rapid Racer
Paul Birken - Acid Youth of You (Blawan Remix)
100Me - Bombscare (100Me’s 2010 ReDub)
Leftfield - Phat Planet (David Clarke Remix)
Green Velvet - La La Land (David Clarke Remix)

You might recognize the intro though *hides*

Shaneus

Just wait for the Flo Rida x Night Slugs colloboration. The pop scene is adapting to the trap phase at the moment, which really was perfected by Kanye in his yeezus lp imo. Just look at his direction to make the next big move in the game, the guy has a pretty good track record of utilizing interesting producers.
Ugh, trap.

Imo the next big thing is this deep house sound that is up the bbc charts at the moment,
Whoop!
shouldn't be long before the u.s artists starts making a mockery of the sound.
:sadface:
Personally, I think it will be considered dead/flogged to death when it ultimately becomes considered "EDM".

injurai

Banned
Imo the next big thing is this deep house sound that is up the bbc charts at the moment, shouldn't be long before the u.s artists starts making a mockery of the sound.

You can't give the states shit for mucking up house, as the core scenes start and continue to thrive here. The mass media machine is it's own thing and should be no surprise that it boils the flavor away for easy spoon-feeding to the masses. You can certainly fear the prospects though.

miksushag

You can't give the states shit for mucking up house, as the core scenes start and continue to thrive here. The mass media machine is it's own thing and should be no surprise that it boils the flavor away for easy spoon-feeding to the masses. You can certainly fear the prospects though.

I didn't give the u.s shit regarding house music, you know what I meant by saying what I said.

okno

Guess someone's got to say it: RIP Shulgin. I feel like nearly all of us in this thread owe him some amount of gratitude. His work saved my life.

Shaneus

Guess someone's got to say it: RIP Shulgin. I feel like nearly all of us in this thread owe him some amount of gratitude. His work saved my life.
Oh fuck. Yeah, I owe a good many a night and great many a friend to having been opened up by his discovery. My musical tastes haven't been altered that much by MDMA (the occasional deeper appreciation of an odd track here or there) but my personality has, without it I'd never have opened up to people both in clubs and outside of them both sober and under the influence.

RIP :(

(is it new thread-worthy as well?)

okno

Oh fuck. Yeah, I owe a good many a night and great many a friend to having been opened up by his discovery. My musical tastes haven't been altered that much by MDMA (the occasional deeper appreciation of an odd track here or there) but my personality has, without it I'd never have opened up to people both in clubs and outside of them both sober and under the influence.

RIP :(

(is it new thread-worthy as well?)

'Godfather of Ecstasy' Sasha Shulgin dead at 88

There already is one, but, semi-not-surprisingly, there isn't much discussion. I blame it on the thread title.

gdt

Lxury's new EP, Playgrounds, is fantastic. Very interesting mix of styles too. House-y, trap-y, off beat samples everywhere. Great stuff.

Dreaver

He owes me a few of the best nights of my life as well. RIP :(

If I may ask, how did it 'save' your life?

okno

He owes me a few of the best nights of my life as well. RIP :(

If I may ask, how did it 'save' your life?

I used to be a slightly obese, socially awkward person with such a crippling social paranoia that I couldn't even go to the gas station by myself without having a panic attack. I had a lot of issues due to growing up overweight and being a foreigner in a foreign country. Used to be a very outgoing and fun kid before we moved to America, but that changed quickly as I became labeled as a social misfit and weirdo for my entire elementary through high school career. MDMA lifted me out of that hole and allowed me to be comfortable around people again. Before I tried it, I was definitely on a course to suicide.

Shaneus

I used to be a slightly obese, socially awkward person with such a crippling social paranoia that I couldn't even go to the gas station by myself without having a panic attack. I had a lot of issues due to growing up overweight and being a foreigner in a foreign country. Used to be a very outgoing and fun kid before we moved to America, but that changed quickly as I became labeled as a social misfit and weirdo for my entire elementary through high school career. MDMA lifted me out of that hole and allowed me to be comfortable around people again. Before I tried it, I was definitely on a course to suicide.
I can't say it "saved" my life as much as with your experience, but it definitely opened my life up to more than what it could've been. I very rarely take anything now, but it took MDMA to make me realise I could be an open and sociable person in this lifetime. Knowing it was possible made it all the much easier to be like that without.

It's a shame to hear about how your life was pre-MD okno, but I'm glad it served it's purpose in more ways than just being a "rave drug" :) Now imagine what life could be like for hundreds of thousands of people if it was administered as a part of psychotherapy? Even if it was restricted to only being taken within the confines of a hospital and/or doctor's office, there'd be such a significant change in the success rate of helping to "cure" depression it'd be nothing short of a miracle.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Inigo Kennedy, "Plaintive" [edit: golly gosh damn, this album (Vaudeville) is fantastic]

Great new Pariah mix: https://soundcloud.com/truants/truancy-volume-97-pariah
Oni Ayhun – OAR002-A [Oni Ayhun Records]
Sunpeople – Check Your Buddha (Sven Vath Remix) [Trelik]
Max D – Jubilee [forthcoming Trilogy Tapes]
Omar S – Track #8 [FXHE]
MGUN – Extort [Third Ear Recordings]
Marcelus – Oneness [Singular]
Nail – Sentipede [Strictly 4 Groovers]
Gesloten Cirkel – Yamagic [Moustache Techno Series]
Tres Demented – Demented Drums [Planet E]
Martyn – Bad Chicago [Non Plus]
Marcus Suckut – Mask [SCKT]
Robert Hood – Moveable Parts A1 [M-Plant]
Fumiya Tanaka – Middle Knife [Torema Records]
Mark Broom – Acid Dik (Beat Mix) [Power Vacuum]
Reeko – Miracle [Pole Recordings]
Don Papa – Done (Piano) [Sex Tags Mania]
Rupcy – Utow [Ilian Tape]
Stenny & Andrea – Sea (The Time Gate) [Ilian Tape]
i – L.T.B.C.Y.B [Recognition]
Untold – 5 Wheels [Hemlock]

okno

It's a shame to hear about how your life was pre-MD okno, but I'm glad it served it's purpose in more ways than just being a "rave drug" :)

Thanks :) For the record, I've definitely ingested probably close to 200 pills worth of MDMA. Don't do it anymore, but back then, ooph, three times a week at least.

Those white Adidas man, the best ever.

Shaneus

Thanks :) For the record, I've definitely ingested probably close to 200 pills worth of MDMA. Don't do it anymore, but back then, ooph, three times a week at least.

Those white Adidas man, the best ever.
Hah, I could tell some stories about my favourites. The dreaded red Mitzis, green/white doves, round pink hearts (probably my favourite, very tingly and chatty without being energetic or physically draining).

As much as the powder is the way to go now it seems, I kind of miss the magic when you could find a good batch of something where you and all your friends could be on exactly the same wavelength. Now too many people take too much different stuff :(

Anyway, this is probably borderline ban-worthy talk!

So, that "techno" music, eh?

gdt

Jereme LOL and Samo Sound Boy have an LP coming out together, as DJ Dodger Stadium, new track is hot.

Never Win

Goddamn.

Miss the LOL Boys too.

Edit: Love Songs, the other released track. Holy fuck this album is gonna be good.

rinse

Neo Member
Also the new joint by Leon Vynehall is something special.

Leon Vynehall - Butterflies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l-NDbAHmjg

so so good, his production is on point, solo and w/ lazarus dancehall.

new neana here

also feeling these two atm:

palace - psychosis

martyn x four tet - glass bead games

has anyone here went to any festivals yet, or planning on going? i went to lstd in bristol a few weeks back; craig richards, nina kraviz, jamie xx, dj ez were the highlights for me. also going outlook fest in september which should be sick!

Dreaver

Like Shaneus said, glad it worked out that way for you! I really hate the negativity around it, I mean it's not healthy, but heavy drinking and smoking are even worse, and that seems to be totally "ok" by today standards. I'd rather have a festival full of drugged people instead of drunk people. Besides, most harm happens when people a) aren't informed right (drink too much water or dry out because they don't drink enough) or b) they take "wrong" pills with a dangerous substance. Both a result because it's illegal and labeled as dangerous.

It's all about moderation and taking care of yourself.
so so good, his production is on point, solo and w/ lazarus dancehall.

new neana here

also feeling these two atm:

palace - psychosis

martyn x four tet - glass bead games

has anyone here went to any festivals yet, or planning on going? i went to lstd in bristol a few weeks back; craig richards, nina kraviz, jamie xx, dj ez were the highlights for me. also going outlook fest in september which should be sick!
Yeah, 2 down and 4 to go. One this week, I've got guest lists spots for a big festival in Belgium. Apart from that I've 3 more festivals (2 "smaller" ones and Awakenings) this summer. Artists I will probably see:

Adam Beyer, Joseph Capriati, Karenn, Len Faki, Infinity Ink, Jamie Jones, Finnebassen, Joris Voorn, Nic Fanciulli, The Advent & Industrialyzer, Tommy Four Seven, Gary Back, Oliver Koletzki, Kölsch, Alle Farben, Niconé & Sascha Braemer, Speedy J, Carl Cox, Jeff Mills, Dave Clarke, Blawan, Dubfire, Sven Väth, Gui Boratto, Hendrik Schwarz, Pfirter, Luigi Madonna and hopefully much more!

This will be Karenn this second time in 2 weeks. Such a great live show, can't wait!

p.s. Disclosure remix of Pharell - Frontin

Top Bottom