• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

gdt

Sometimes Beatport or Juno get a cool exclusive then the raise the price on that shit. Super annoying. Beatport is always snatching up exclusives, then they double the price.

Widge

Lemonade has to be one of the worst things I have ever heard. Like everything I hate about happy hardcore bundled through a Pon De Floor track generator. Nothing redeemable.

Apparently this person did XLR8R's track of the year last year. God knows how. I get that there is a drive to always look for new territories. It's just... well, some territories might well be formed from distilled sulfur. No need to set up camp there.

okno

Do not ever waste money on Beatport. They overprice everything. Stick to Juno, Boomkat, Clone (sometimes), Bleep and Kristina.

OG Kush

Lemonade has to be one of the worst things I have ever heard. Like everything I hate about happy hardcore bundled through a Pon De Floor track generator. Nothing redeemable.

Apparently this person did XLR8R's track of the year last year. God knows how. I get that there is a drive to always look for new territories. It's just... well, some territories might well be formed from distilled sulfur. No need to set up camp there.

Nah man, Bipp is fucking dope. You have to agree that the production on that is damn good and so fresh. This new track though.....eh :/

miksushag

Bipp and nothing to say releases were beautiful. Just enough quirkiness to break it out of the usual molds. Lemonade is just too way out there, I understand that boundaries have to be pushed but to take every element of the song and make it sound alien is just way too much.

Nyx

Was on a festival last Saturday which only had live-acts playing in the main area.

This resulted in at least 10-15 mins of silence between every act as they had to remove their gear while the next artist was building up his equipment, very annoying.

Also, the programmer of the festival (probably) thought it was a good idea to f.e. let Carl Craig play first at 16:00, playing uplifting techno and house, and then afterwards some dude I don't even know who went at least 20-30 BPM under the tempo of Carl Craig....

Seriously?

I know that you can't keep everybody happy as a programmer but this is just plain bullshit.
Most of the crowd were standing still between 19:00-22:00 when finally Octave One was up and they played some good stuff again, in the last hour of the festival...

okno

Was on a festival last Saturday which only had live-acts playing in the main area.

This resulted in at least 10-15 mins of silence between every act as they had to remove their gear while the next artist was building up his equipment, very annoying.

Also, the programmer of the festival (probably) thought it was a good idea to f.e. let Carl Craig play first at 16:00, playing uplifting techno and house, and then afterwards some dude I don't even know who went at least 20-30 BPM under the tempo of Carl Craig....

Seriously?

I know that you can't keep everybody happy as a programmer but this is just plain bullshit.
Most of the crowd were standing still between 19:00-22:00 when finally Octave One was up and they played some good stuff again, in the last hour of the festival...

That sounds absolutely awful. Was this Tomorrowland?

I will never, ever understand the appeal of Sophie.

Nyx

That sounds absolutely awful. Was this Tomorrowland?

I will never, ever understand the appeal of Sophie.

Nah not Tomorrowland, that's way too big and commercial for me.

It was ''Stekker in het Park''

Now I knew that the music would be more experimental and I don't mind that at all, but the least you can do as a programmer is making sure that the BPM goes up throughout the day.

Noticed just now that this (and the lack of enough people behind the bar) were the biggest complaints of most visitors and the organisation already replied that they will definitely make sure it's better next year.

Oh well, I had fun still but next time I want to dance some more haha.

Not sure if this was posted but Arca's going to be touring the West Coast:

9/18 – Portland, OR @ PICA (Time Based Art Festival)
9/20 – Vancouver, BC @ The Dome at Science World (New Forms Festival)
9/23 – San Francisco, CA @ GAFFTA
9/24 – Seattle, WA @ Sky Church (Decibel Festival)
9/25 – Los Angeles, CA @ First Unitarian Church

Not sure if I'll be closer to SF or LA then but I'm so excited!

miksushag

DigiFlyer.jpg

hee hee =)

Widge

Can you guys help me? Trying to think of games which have had electronic artists come in to do a properly commissioned soundtrack. None of this licensed existing tracks malarky (Wipeout, GTA), but guys who have come in to do tracks specifically for the game.

Top of my head, I'm thinking Baiyon for the Pixeljunk games, Daedelus on Nidhogg, MOON on Hotline Miami. I believe Doseone works on some titles but they escape me. Perhaps Amon Tobin on Infamous.

miksushag

ariana grande x cashmere cat surfaced - if you care about this type of garbage (i love it)

love the current wave of rnb/pop/rap. I actually bought two Bieber songs the other day, and I'm not afraid to admit it!

Fact mix 453 - Ikonika

http://www.factmag.com/2014/07/30/fact-mix-453-ikonika/

Tracklist: 1. Ikonika feat Dam Funk – I Know (That You Are The 1) Re-work
2. Jessy Lanza – Fuck Diamond (Bambounou Remix)
3. Fiedel – Step Aside
4. Scratcha DVA – PERXOFLYF
5. Ikonika – Tug Zone (Georgia Girls & Neana Bootleg)
6. Benjamin Damage – Splash
7. Ikonika feat Optimum – Mega Church (Perc Remix)
8. Ikonika – Position VIP
9. Ben Sims – Orbit
10. BillieJean feat Dice – STFU & Blow Like A Thot (DJ Android Remix) (Kaka Edit)
11. Ikonika – Stick Shaker
12. Tinashe – 2 On (Uniiqu3 Remix)
13. Ikonika – You Won’t Find It There (Deamonds Edit)
14. Scratcha DVA X Mickey Pearce – Spoon Bender
15. Ikonika – Shovel
16. Lil Durk – Dis Ain’t What You Want (EMG Remix)
17. Rabit – Thug Rotorvator
18. S-Type – Rosario VIP
19. August Alsina – Down Right Now (Deamonds Edit)
20. Moleskin – Digital
21. Ikonika – Strawberry Underlay
22. Copeland – Advice To Young Girls
23. Ikonika – Time/Speed
24. Trey Songz – All We Do

Dreaver

Any advice on some cool tracks with energetic and tension-rising drums / snare rolls etc? I love that some have zero melody. Examples:
I:Cube - Transpiration
MATRiXXMAN - Protocol
Slam - Movement (THOSE DRUMS!
Mark Reeve - Drumatic (I know this one is slightly different, but it's cool as fuck

I'm aware of Spastikman, KiNK, Jay Daniel (brains), Girl Unit, L-Vis 1990, Dance Systems and De Sluwe Vos (Broken Snare).

Also, I'm looking for some more disco / groovy / funky techno tracks / tracks, a few examples:

Robert Hood - Dancer
Carl Taylor - Debbie's Groove (Robert Hood remix)
Ben Sims - Work Your Body
The Advent vs Billie Jean

Any advice on tracks and/or artists? If not, i still recommend you listen to these tracks because they're great.

okno

Any advice on some cool tracks with energetic and tension-rising drums / snare rolls etc? I love that some have zero melody. Examples:
MATRiXXMAN - Protocol
Mark Reeve - Drumatic (I know this one is slightly different, but it's cool as fuck

I'm aware of Spastikman, KiNK, Jay Daniel (brains), Girl Unit, L-Vis 1990, Dance Systems and De Sluwe Vos (Broken Snare).

Also, I'm looking for some more disco / groovy / funky techno tracks / tracks, a few examples:

Robert Hood - Dancer
Carl Taylor - Debbie's Groove (Robert Hood remix)
Ben Sims - Work Your Body
The Advent vs Billie Jean

Any advice on tracks and/or artists? If not, i still recommend you listen to these tracks because they're great.

Fucking loooove that De Sluwe Vos EP. "The Poltergeist" is so great.

TECHNO! (no hot links, as I'm at work and don't have much time):

R-Tyme - Use Me
Reese & Santonino - How To Play Our Music (Dub Mix)
Youandewan - Tino
Mr. G - Getting There.....DETROIT
Paranoid London - Transmission 5
Anything Mike Huckaby

OG Kush

the new Bashmore & Hyetal joint is out!
Velour - The Tower / Plato's Retreat
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/tower-platos-retreat-single/id901883686

edit: Love how active this thread is nowadays. Was kinda lifeless a couple of months back.

Sounds decent actually. Even though a lot of Bashmore's tunes have been rinsed, and you only really catch him playing his own tunes atm, Battle For Middle You is still my jam.

love the current wave of rnb/pop/rap. I actually bought two Bieber songs the other day, and I'm not afraid to admit it!

Fact mix 453 - Ikonika

http://www.factmag.com/2014/07/30/fact-mix-453-ikonika/

Don't know if posted but she's got a new track aswell: Praxis

bowery

For nyers: The hyperdub show at verboten is super stacked for their 10 anniversary tour - mala, kode9, ikonkika, spinn + taso, can't wait

Also phuture (acid house original dons) are playing a show with lvis and kingdom next thurs at verboten

BeeDog

Damn I love Lobster Theremin and how it came from nowhere. Really great house/techno/electro-ish releases on the label so far, especially this one:

Imre Kiss - Non

I recommend all of you to check this one out.

collige

Banned
Plasticman Remastered is out now. Remixes by Wen, Inkke, Kahn & Neek, etc are out soon too.

Can you guys help me? Trying to think of games which have had electronic artists come in to do a properly commissioned soundtrack. None of this licensed existing tracks malarky (Wipeout, GTA), but guys who have come in to do tracks specifically for the game.

Top of my head, I'm thinking Baiyon for the Pixeljunk games, Daedelus on Nidhogg, MOON on Hotline Miami. I believe Doseone works on some titles but they escape me. Perhaps Amon Tobin on Infamous.

Amon Tobin for Splinter Cell and Trent Reznor for Quake are the ones that come to mind. Autechre is also thanked in the credits for Metroid Prime 1 but as far as I can tell they didn't actually contribute to the OST.

collige

Banned
Hey Johnbro! Was wondering if you could provide me with some heavy hitters of this particural sound from 2014? Love the melodic style of murlo, dark0 etc! New wave grime or whatever it is called.

I'll add on a few things Johnlenham didn't mention that I liked:
Heavy - Titan EP
Strict Face - Fountains / Highbury Skyline
Fatima Al Qadiri - Asiatisch
Various - Her Records Vol 3
SPF666 - Scorpion Cache
Filter Dread - MIDI Space
Sirpixalot - Mountain Stance

And some shameless self-promotion:
College Hill - Statement of Intent VIP / Sahaqiuel v4

There's also a split Murlo/JT EP and a JT album coming out later this year.

okno

Damn I love Lobster Theremin and how it came from nowhere. Really great house/techno/electro-ish releases on the label so far, especially this one:

Imre Kiss - Non

I recommend all of you to check this one out.

Love this label. Just snagged 'Dry Thoughts' by Route 8, but want to get my hands on Imre Kiss, Rawaat, and Palm Trax. So, so good.

MATRiXXMAN - Protocol

Check this out:

Inter Gritty - Sagastyr
Audio Injection - Charge
Bryan Chapman - All But the Ram
Developer - Dirty Drive

And why not, he fits in this category: Len Faki - Stripped

I fucking love playing those tracks.

Top Bottom