• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

opened for avalon emerson last night. let me know what you guys think :)

https://soundcloud.com/clarkdprice/clark-price-live-obvious

Tracklist:

Tevo Howard Ft. Rick Howard - House Room (Paul Du Lac Acid Dub)
Dennis Ferrer - P 2 Da J
Christian S - Rumba
Nightmares on Wax - Biofeedback (Morgan Geist Remix)
Tony G - Simple Dreams (Young Marco Remix)
Ob Ignitt - Oh Jabba
The Mole - Hippy Speedball
John Tejada - Sweat on the Walls
Tin Man - Love Sick (tobias remix)
Matthew Styles - Don't Call Me Again
Fit feat. Gunnar Wendel - Roll Out
DBX - Spock’s Brain
Christopher Rau - Weird Alps
Traumprinz - All The Things
Shawn Rudiman - Uplink!
DBX - Blip
Pittsburgh Track Authority - Missile 2
Grand High Priest - Mixdown
Omar S - I Just Want
Oshana - Acid Disco
House Nerds - Mystery Bells
Metro Area - Miura
Omar S - Heres Your Trance Now Dance

okno

Tracklist:

Dennis Ferrer - P 2 Da J
Christian S - Rumba
Ob Ignitt - Oh Jabba
DBX - Spock’s Brain
Shawn Rudiman - Uplink!
DBX - Blip
Omar S - I Just Want
Oshana - Acid Disco
Metro Area - Miura

Will give this a proper listen later, but 1) congrats 2) amazing tracklist 3) welcome to the thread!

thabiz

Tracklist:

Dennis Ferrer - P 2 Da J
Christian S - Rumba
Ob Ignitt - Oh Jabba
DBX - Spock’s Brain
Shawn Rudiman - Uplink!
DBX - Blip
Omar S - I Just Want
Oshana - Acid Disco
Metro Area - Miura

dope

Will give this a proper listen later, but 1) congrats 2) amazing tracklist 3) welcome to the thread!

thanks man. was pretty happy with how it turned out. I felt bad for my friend who did the event, all the music heads always leave town labor day weekend so the crowd was sparse.

what.cd for the win. I pay for a ton of music and enjoy doing so, but if you are gonna make your records vinyl only and then only make 200 of them.....welp.

Widge

Yep. That is my biggie of the moment. I submitted it to Ibiza Voice with a 10/10 rating, although they notched it down to 9.5.

Does nothing else but inject party vibes to absolute perfection in my mind. Might not be pushing back the boundaries but it hones in on a glory era of music that the recent retro obsession seems to have missed.

Widge

I hate vinyl only shit with a passion.

I'm 50/50 on it. I've decided that when I start playing out, I'm going to be a majority vinyl player. I'm probably going to be playing in little pokey holes with small capacities. I covered a gig at Deaf Institute, Manchester - was in the basement, live set from Winter Son & Jozef K - looked at the DJ booth, imagined me lugging my laptop and S4 and slotting into that and thought NAH.

I do like the idea that I am curating a collection that will have the odd weapon in it that will evade a majority of people, it gives me an extra facet. I've noted how a lot of this stuff doesn't even pop up on what.CD (I tend to head there to get digi rips of the vinyl I buy), so I get that cozy "owning a piece of art" feeling about my stack.

Shaneus

NEW ORDER TO COLLABORATE WITH JAMES MURPHY?
In news that may cause hipsters to faint due to over-excitement, members of New Order have hinted at a collaboration with LCD Soundsystem and DFA Records artist James Murphy.

Bernard Sumner and Tom Chapman were interviewed about potential collaborators, and became somewhat sly when Murphy’s name was thrown into the mix. Speaking on Murphy, Sumner said “I can’t talk about any of that just yet, but there is news, we’re in the process.”
This is good news.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Oh man I'm so excited for this. New Shanti Celeste EP on Broadwalk coming 9/8

She's got the RA podcast this week:
MGUN - Risque
Tevo Howard - The Promenade
Jitterbug - Sweet Tooth
Jay L - Together
DJ Jus-Ed - Deeply I Feel (Original Mix Deeply)
Outboxx - Sequencial Circles
New Musik - Warp (ILLO Edit)
The Reflektor - El Mirador
Zennor - Storms
Maurice Fulton - You Give Me Good Feeling
Christopher McCray - Get It Right (Feel Mix)
Da Sampla - Over
Blake Baxter - When We Used To Play
Ron Trent - Altered States
Shanti Celeste - Felix
Jitterbug - Trak6
African Shakedown 2 - Bayaya (Axel Boman Re-Dub)

okno

"Ice Bowl" is nice, but not feeling the rest. They definitely channel that old old old old school sound, but don't take it far enough.

BBboy20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI2Et19vDCM

tumblr_mfwrqgPDaU1rpwzpwo1_400.gif

Sounds rough. To be honest I would be terrified of being asked to play for 2 hours in front of 5 people let alone 200.

I personally hate being asked to play at "Normal" events like birthdays, because unless its al friends into the music, it very quickly becomes "have you got X" " Why not"
until they are using your laptop to go on youtube and "Mix" by fading the volumes in and out...

Anyways if your not feeling it and the people are flakey at best i wouldnt but thats just me

yeah don't do it man, unless you REALLY need the money it will be a miserable experience. Who wants to play music they dont like for 2 hours?

Dreaver

To the above replies: I'm not even getting paid. It's just for the experience and because it's a friend service. Figured out it's not worth the experience if these are the conditions... Thanks for the opinions. I'm afraid my Macbook is about to crash tonight.

ilium

I hate vinyl only shit with a passion.

I'm glad there are still Labels releasing on Vinyl only. Nice to have tracks that are not avaible on zippyshare ;)
In todays age where the Entry barrier for djing is at an all time low it's good to have something that sets me apart from everyone else.
Besides, there are more tracks only avaible digital than Vinyl only so stop whining :p

To the above replies: I'm not even getting paid. It's just for the experience and because it's a friend service. Figured out it's not worth the experience if these are the conditions... Thanks for the opinions. I'm afraid my Macbook is about to crash tonight.

Doesn't sound like you're gonna have a good time tbh. You'll basically be a better iPod playlist. Student Partys are the worst.
Bail out.

Edit~
It's a fucking great chance to experience more than just my bedroom. Some of the reasons are probaly just worst case scenarios Part of me says I shouldn't waste this "chance".

Totally understandable, the urge to get from your bedroom in front of a crowd is a big one, no doubt. but think about it: what exactly is in there for you except playing in front of a crowd that doesn't appreciate your own curated music selection and only wants billboard stuff? You're not playing in a club environment, so there won't be any booker or promoter present that might like your set and invite you to another party. there won't be any other DJs you can socialize with. only drunk students that will ask you to play shit you don't even like. you don't get any money. you don't even have a safe place to sleep and have no idea where your equipment ends up. not the best conditions, really.

at least demand pay for your expenses and integrity ;)

Dreaver

I'm glad there are still Labels releasing on Vinyl only. Nice to have tracks that are not avaible on zippyshare ;)
In todays age where the Entry barrier for djing is at an all time low it's good to have something that sets me apart from everyone else.
Besides, there are more tracks only avaible digital than Vinyl only so stop whining :p

Doesn't sound like you're gonna have a good time tbh. You'll basically be a better iPod playlist. Student Partys are the worst.
Bail out.

Edit~

Totally understandable, the urge to get from your bedroom in front of a crowd is a big one, no doubt. but think about it: what exactly is in there for you except playing in front of a crowd that doesn't appreciate your own curated music selection and only wants billboard stuff? You're not playing in a club environment, so there won't be any booker or promoter present that might like your set and invite you to another party. there won't be any other DJs you can socialize with. only drunk students that will ask you to play shit you don't even like. you don't get any money. you don't even have a safe place to sleep and have no idea where your equipment ends up. not the best conditions, really.

at least demand pay for your expenses and integrity ;)
Well, the original plan/agreement was that I would play house-y music that's ok in my book that most people can appreciate (think of Disclosure and Tchami for example...) with a few billboard bangers such as Swedish House Mafia. Anyway, you're totally right. It's not my goal, but I'd love to start playing more outside of my bedroom. Especially getting experience of playing before a crowd and in a different environment. Plus, I only have experience with my Traktor S2, I have zero experience with cdj's and I would love to get some.

Anyway, just got a message a few hours ago they can't pick me up probably and they were discussing it if they could find a solution. This was 6 hours ago and I haven't heard since, which pretty much confirms my earlier thoughts about them not caring too much. Which means it's a no-go for me for sure.

Sub'd

Does this include dub techno and ambient mixes/tracks??

WARMTH
https://soundcloud.com/etokarecords/warmth-dopamine-ep-podcast
Yeah. This thread is about pretty much every piece of electronical music as long it's "underground". ;)

edit:
https://soundcloud.com/eravulgaris/three

First time mix. Techno/house.

In case anyone has some comments/advice, feel free to tell me! It's not without mistakes though, but there aren't that many. If it's not allowed here, I'll edit my post.

No one will probably listen but hey!

I'm listening it as we speak. 20 mins in and liking the tunes a lot! mind sharing a track list?

lush

Ital - Endgame

Spotify link above. Best work he's done so far. Absolutely incredible record.

He had the XLR8R podcast this week:

01 Ital "Beacon (Acapella)"
02 Newworldaquarium "Curse of the Bloody Puppets" (Delsin)
03 Keita Sano "She Was the One" (Mr. Saturday Night)
04 Smilin Observer "ASMR Paranormal Tag" (YouTube)
05 Endian "DBPLT01" (Nonplus)
06 Silent Servant "Mad Youth" (Sandwell District)
07 Earle Brown "Four Systems (For Four Amplified Cymbals)" (Columbia)
08 Conforce "24 (Gesloten Cirkel Remix)" (Clone Basement Series)
09 Joey Anderson "Sky’s Blessing" (Dekmantel)
10 Rhythm & Sound with Koki "Rise & Praise (Burial Mix)"
11 Intrusion "Intrusion Dub" (Echospace)
12 Robert Ashley "Automatic Writing" (Lovely)
13 Earthen Sea "Beat 31"
14 Moodymann "Silence in the Secret Garden" (Peacefrog)
15 Natan H "Giving" (Appian)
16 Instra:mental "Sun Rec." (Nonplus)
17 In Aeternam Vale "Ultrabase" (Minimal Wave)
18 Shackleton "Blood on My Hands (Ricardo Villalobos Apocalypso Now Mix)" (Skull Disco)
19 Black Dice "Semen of the Sun" (Tapes)
20 The Mole "Lockdown Party (DJ Sprinkles Crossfaderama)" (Perlon)
21 Pharoah Sanders "Let Us Now Go into the House of the Lord" (Impulse!)

http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2014/08/ital

okno

Sucks, Dreaver, but there will be other, better opportunities. I did the same thing as you when I first got started - just took any gig that I could get my hands on and it ended up wearing me down and making me so depressed I nearly gave up the whole thing. Take the chances that appeal to you, even the ones that are similar to what your friends wanted from you, so that you gain experience and know what it's like to get to a gig and have it either be amazing or completely horrible. Eventually, you'll start to get comfortable and be able to pick your gigs as they come and won't worry too much about certain things. I DJ less now than I did before, but I am far, far happier at the gigs I do get.

Widge

Bit of a groove to Craig Richards Get Lost mix. He just seems to have the knack of selecting tracks that sparkle in context with each other, even if individually they seem remarkably straight up. Mildly tempted to grab the vinyl to have a crop of battle weapons.

Well, the original plan/agreement was that I would play house-y music that's ok in my book that most people can appreciate (think of Disclosure and Tchami for example...) with a few billboard bangers such as Swedish House Mafia. Anyway, you're totally right. It's not my goal, but I'd love to start playing more outside of my bedroom. Especially getting experience of playing before a crowd and in a different environment. Plus, I only have experience with my Traktor S2, I have zero experience with cdj's and I would love to get some.

Anyway, just got a message a few hours ago they can't pick me up probably and they were discussing it if they could find a solution. This was 6 hours ago and I haven't heard since, which pretty much confirms my earlier thoughts about them not caring too much. Which means it's a no-go for me for sure.

Yeah. This thread is about pretty much every piece of electronical music as long it's "underground". ;)

edit:

I'm listening it as we speak. 20 mins in and liking the tunes a lot! mind sharing a track list?

I'll put up a tracklist first thing in the morning! Thanks for listening.

andylsun

Saw DJ Shadow and Cit Chemist last night in Boston. Renegades of rhythm tour. Amazing 2 hour mix through Africa Baambaata's record collection. Quite a bit of stuff I didn't recognize but that really didn't matter. Interplay between the two was excellent, and this was only the second time they have performed this set.

Breakdancing in the crowd was actively encouraged and I suspect there are already videos on YouTube. Hearing my school-disco favourite Good Times dropped by these two was surreal and awesome at the same time. Trams Europe Express mix was also awesome.

I'm going to have to find some Zulu Nation stuff, never seen it on my used record store hunts.

Top Bottom