• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

injurai

Banned
john I finally listened to yamaneko pixel wave embrace

really great grime instrumentals, would love to see him produce some people in the future. He reminds me a lot of early Ruff Sqwad styles.

I like the music but wish the dude wasn't talking the entire time

There was a time when I couldn't stand MC's. Now I either love them or just notice them. The shift was gradual but I'm glad it happened.

Hahah i love the highest comments on these vids, its allways "wtf guy wont shut up"

I guess its a very Uk thing to have an MC/Host. I was hoping it was ASBO who just loses his shit for an hour.

john I finally listened to yamaneko pixel wave embrace

really great grime instrumentals, would love to see him produce some people in the future. He reminds me a lot of early Ruff Sqwad styles.

Yeah its good aint it. The one using chocobo sounds is great.

Not sure how many will be into this but got a guestmix full of Uk funky/garage and grime

RIZ LA TEEF CONVERGE MIX : Plan B 21/02/14

For the new page.
BROKEN BEAT, FUNKY, GARAGE & EVERYTHING INBETWEEN

Hahah i love the highest comments on these vids, its allways "wtf guy wont shut up"

I guess its a very Uk thing to have an MC/Host. I was hoping it was ASBO who just loses his shit for an hour.

Yeah its good aint it. The one using chocobo sounds is great.

For the new page.
I don't mind mc's in grime, they're saying something. but being told to listen to the music a dozen times grates on me haha

Have a party with this lineup starting tomorrow night:
Robert Hood
Andy Stott (live)
Gerd Janson
Joey Anderson
Kowton
Anthony Parasole
Maxmillion Dunbar
Hashman Deejay
Pender Street Steppers
John Roberts
Galcher Lustwerk & Young Male
John Barera & Will Martin (live)
Matrixxman & Vin Sol
Jason Kendig & Jackie House
Contakt
Mostly going for Andy Stott, Robert Hood, and Galcher Lustwerk but would be willing to see anyone else too

cool, Andy Stott is 12am-1am, Robert Hood is 1am-3am, and Kowton is 12:30-2am. Should be able to fit him in between the first two. Matrixxman & Vin Sol are directly after Galcher Lustwerk and Young Male on Sunday so that works perfectly too

injurai

Banned
i-DJ: Breakage
Tour de force right here. Breakage killing it with the fast slow drum & bass. The Burial collab is naptha.

Total Fitness - Eden At night
Breakage & Burial - Vial
Kinzy - Elevation
Die & Dismantle - Over the Edge
Hodge & Facta - Visions
Corticyte - Modulate
Mella Dee - Talkin
Breakage - ???
Breakage - Treading Water (Jakwob Remix)
Rude Kid - Saturday
Clare Maguire - Ain’t Nobody (Breakage’s Suck It Up Mix VIP)
Breakage & Dismantle - Ass Up!
Fixate - Alive
Breakage - Natty
Lynx - Bees Knees
Taelimb - Public Eye
Breakage - Come With It
Threshold - Combo 4 (Disarae Remix)
Skeptical - Playground Chat Back
Sam Binga - Steppin

Andy Stott was suitably weird, Kowton and Robert Hood were great, and Galcher Lustwerk and Young Male were fun for the hour or so I went back today. Good honest techno party all around

Hey DJs in the thread, I need some mixing advice and tips. I'm currently using a Traktor S2 and plan to move to CD-Js soon. I think my programming is pretty good, however, I really want to also get better at mixing. I recently saw some of the Rizumu guys from Philly play here and all of them are remarkable DJs. Their mixing and transitions were silky smooth and it really prompted me to improve as well.

I know this is really broad, but can you guys give some general advice on mixing tracks together, keeping your levels normal, etc

miksushag

Hey DJs in the thread, I need some mixing advice and tips. I'm currently using a Traktor S2 and plan to move to CD-Js soon. I think my programming is pretty good, however, I really want to also get better at mixing. I recently saw some of the Rizumu guys from Philly play here and all of them are remarkable DJs. Their mixing and transitions were silky smooth and it really prompted me to improve as well.

I know this is really broad, but can you guys give some general advice on mixing tracks together, keeping your levels normal, etc

Are you opting for those silky smooth transitions? Harmonic mixing and long blends are the trick to do that stuff.

edit: and knowing your tunes inside out.

I'm still very amateur at dj-ing but in my short experience the best thing is to really know everything about the tracks you're working with. Being able to tell parts of different tracks that would go well together seems extremely useful

okno

#1 rule for smooth transitions is to know your shit inside and out.

Learn how to use the high pass and low pass filters appropriately. If used properly, this will really make things sound far more natural than just killing the lows/highs via EQ.

Don't rush things. Long transitions are your friend.

But really, know your shit inside and out is the biggest thing. Know when a track is at its peak so you can start to bring in another track, or when its peak is ending. Learn what elements are inside of a track and what the next track can add to the current track. Does the current track lack high hats or claps? Find another track that has those and bring them in slowly. Using a track that is lacking a vocal, but has room in the mid for a vocal? Bring in a vocal track.

A DJ who doesn't know his tracks will make for a sloppy set. Practice at home and make mistakes. That's how you'll really start to learn how tracks work and, more importantly, how they work together.

injurai

Banned
Lapalu - Closure (ft Szjerdene) (Experimental Downtempo)

Sarah P - Moving On (80's Synth / BASS POP)

Kadahn - Wera Construct (GRIME)

Murlo - Deep Breath (feat. Gemma Dunleavy) (GRIME)

Wen - Pace Myself (GRIME)

Om Unit - DEMONS OUT (BASS/JUNGLE/DUB/TECHNO)

Innamind Recordings
Unknown - Attraction Dub // No Dread (BEAUTIFUL DUB)

IC3PEAK - UMS (WITCH)

FaltyDL - Crystal Boots Draft (quick jam blizzard bull)

Mike Gao - Pivot (HIP-HOP/BASS)

Sorrow - Lifedance (DOWNTEMPO JUKE/BASS)

injurai

Banned
Does anyone here fuck with Nokia?

princess? That stuff is usually posted in the hip hop or jazz hop hop thread. Usually the former though.

You might be into the stuff this blog does, there really good for one based in the USA.

There is atleast 9 or so on there from people that have latter got big like Logos, Dark0 and such.
http://dotheastralplane.com/mixes-2/

OOOH, this looks like a bunch of good stuff. Thanks for the heads up. How's Converge doing?

Courage

I gave the new Purity Ring a chance and I've come to accept their flavor of synthpop isn't for me. The album was generic and ultimately boring.

Top Bottom