• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

injurai

Banned
DNB and Jungle were there biggest casualties, but it's certainly happened with house music, juke, and footwoork as well. Its started to die down, but there was so much bandwagon junk coming out of the UK. Tracks that poorly imitate old music or revolve around gimmicky vocals that come out by the truckload. They suck out everything that made the tracks good. Whens the last time you heard Sicko Cell? A lot of music that barely last a year before its totally written off, so much of it lacks any shred of longevity.

People like Marquis Hawkes making EPs titled, 'Cabrini Green' and tracks called 'Gotta Get Outta This Hood'. Wtf does he know about any of that stuff? People naming themselves Detroit Swindle. Sorry to go off on a tangent and I know a lot of you don't care, but that shit is fucking infuriating to me.

I think your complaints are with an entirely different scene of music. I was probably wrong attributing it as juke, because it's more drawing on dancehall and ragga lineage than anything. A lineage through jungle and dnb. Syncopated garage rhythms which then went on to drive 2-step and grime.

Well grime and jungle have been fusing back together recently. It's been producing some fascinating results. Dancehall naturally but also the lost cousin genres of footwork/juke have been working its way in. Giving inspiration how to lay out tracks. But the sounds breakdowns and everything draw far more from jungle heritage.

This scene is not some fad, it's part of a long heritage. Sounds in all genres roll over after a few years. These particular sound are into their 3rd maybe 4th year and still going strong.

A lot of it spurred from Exit Records from 2010 and onwards.

Stray - Can Of Cancun
Alix Perez - U
Skeptical - Imperial
Fis - Patupaiarehe
Fracture - Loving Touch

Sam Binga AYO! ft. Redders
Fracture ft Dawn Day Night - Get Busy
Dub Phizix and Skeptical feat Strategy - Marka

But then there's a bunch of stuff produced from UK scenes that is directly related to collaborative efforts with Chicago artists and labels. It's not one city or scene that owns it, London and Chicago have long been partners.
Even DJ Rashad as acknowledged embraced the DNB angle on the footwork sounds. Kode9 tries his hand with more Rashad style stuff. These releases mark a sharing of influence and interest in each other's expertise.
DJ Rashad - Let It Go
Kode9 - Kan

Others
Machinedrum - Gunshotta
Boxcutter - Dream Gator (with Ken & Ryu)
Om Unit & Moresounds - Nuff Music
Sully - Blue (my favorite album of last year, more more jungle grime fusion)
Mark Pritchard - Make A Livin never met a soul who liked this, I even hated it at first. Damn though this is a marriage of footwork and jungle. If you can get passed the vocal gore. Adore this song now.

So going back to Itoa, who actually tags his music as dancehall and not juke. Here's another example.
Itoa - Peng

I find it hard to blame anyone from taking inspiration from juke, but there are also clearly other lineages at work here. I don't think any artist is sucking out the soul of house or juke. Things have been beautifully developing. At least from someone coming from the jungle scene.

injurai

Banned

Oh wow. Red Seal has released some of the best material over the past year. Hope Djrum does more with Samurai Music Group, it's a great match.

Y'all need to get on this shit.

Album: Heart on Wave
Artist: Slime Girls

Number of Tracks and Runtime: 8 Tracks & 35 minutes

A very interesting find for me. I was just checking out the front page of bandcamp and came across this kawaii as fuck album cover. I said that shit's cute so I gave it a listen. Oh my gosh, this shit is actually nice. It has a very nice 8 or 16-bit sound with some trap thrown into it. The sounds range from melodic to nostalgic and heart pumping at the same damn time. The tunes are highly melodic in nature and there is no annoying high pitches that some 8-bit tunes tend to have. There are really only two tracks, but they're remixed well enough to sound almost like completely different songs. After listening to this I don't see how anyone cannot feel like playing a Snezz, NES, or Genesis.

Kawaii As Fuck/10

Widge

Apologies for the PR copypasta, but this is my go-to album of the moment.

To be released March 16: D.Å.R.F.D.H.S. "In The Wake Of The Dark Earth" on Field Records.

Now entering its seventh year, Dutch label Field Records continues to focus on great album projects. After a triple 12” compilation in 2014, and ahead of a third album in the coming months, now comes a 12 track opus, In The Wake Of The Dark Earth, by D.Å.R.F.D.H.S. aka Swedish pair Michel Isorinne and Jonas Rönnberg.

Between them, Isorinne and Rönnberg record under a number of different aliases and have done so for the last couple of years on labels like Opal Tapes and Northern Electronics. Their sound veers from foggy, experimental stuff to icy techno via deep acid, and produced a first album this time last year on Clan Destine Records.

This new album is one for headphones or home listening, for lonely winter nights or long night time journeys. It’s an absorbing ambient affair weighed down by a heavy sense of atmosphere. At times shadowy and eerie, at others cautiously optimistic, the perfectly crafted spaces within all invite you to get lost and completely forget the outside world. Arriving with enigmatic artwork in both digital and vinyl format, modern ambient never sounded better.

Artist: D.Å.R.F.D.H.S.
Title: In The Wake Of The Dark Earth
Label: Field Records
Cat. No.: Field15
Format: 2xLP / Digital
Release date: 16-03-2015

01. When Ansgar, Plague Of The North Arrived At The Gates Of Birka
02. Offerings To Njord
03. Leaving Mälaren, Across Austmarr
04. Drowned In Lake Ladoga
05. Ruriks Holmgard
06. Slave Merchants In Aldeigjubdorg
07. Down The River Volchov
08. White Sea / Black Sea
09. Byzantium Traders Sailing Over The Edge Of The World
10. Entering The Caspian Sea
11. Broken Arrows Hidden In The Sand
12. The Fallen City / Reduced To Loneliness

Honestly, I'm rarely listening to anything else right now. Track titles sound really morose but it moulds to your current mood. Blissful, melancholic... whatever you feel, it mirrors.

okno

Apologies for the PR copypasta, but this is my go-to album of the moment.

Honestly, I'm rarely listening to anything else right now. Track titles sound really morose but it moulds to your current mood. Blissful, melancholic... whatever you feel, it mirrors.

Loooove Field Records. I'll definitely have to check this out.

BBboy20

Boom Boom Satellites?

dRqsWWa.jpg

The song "Push Eject" from Out Loud was in the NTSC version of Gran Turismo 2.
No wonder it looks like an album cover for Gran Turismo.

Like, I heard about these guys when that PS3 show was announced but never really checked them out until a month ago and for like two weeks could not stop listening to Out Loud. Like, I'm pretty sure I would have named it album of 1999 if my 11 year old self seriously listened to music.

injurai

Banned
No wonder it looks like an album cover for Gran Turismo.

Like, I heard about these guys when that PS3 show was announced but never really checked them out until a month ago and for like two weeks could not stop listening to Out Loud. Like, I'm pretty sure I would have named it album of 1999 if my 11 year old self seriously listened to music.

Holy shit I remember this song. I loved the sound track but I didn't actually understand music or genres back then. GT, Wipeout, and SSX did a lot to shape my early taste in music. Thanks for digging up this post.

okno

*shameless self promotion*

I was asked to do the latest Scissor and Thread podcast :3 Wanted to share it with y'all. Really, really proud of this mix. Wasn't easy sorting through all of my tracks and picking out what to play!

*/shameless self promotion*

S&T Podcast 15 | Eirikur

big ander

because I guess it fits here more than anywhere else, though it doesn't fit much of anywhere:

the self-titled LP from Goodbye released on nico jaar's Other People is great. I'd call it no-wave electronica, or perverted pop. it's full of recognizable electropop ideas made entirely off. the duo of Ashlee and Chicken released an EP as F.A.G. Diarrhea Cult (yep) last year that was great. it had a song called "crying when i cum". But this is a bit less bodily and abrasive (no fucked-in-the-head Sinatra covers, though one song on Goodbye sounds like someone ate and vomited "Stand By Me") and more purely pop. There are catchy, catchy songs on here. riyl Blunt/Copeland/Hype Williams or if you want to hear what a lobotomized and twisted "Age of Consent" would sound like
"Ring"
"Open Roads"

BeeDog

8 Wigglin' Ways To Die

A1. AnD - Higgs Boson
A2. Martyn Hare - 2BE&aBN
B1. Johan Platt & Boner M - Antsinplot 05
B2. Papers - Calum
C1. DeFeKT - 6 x 6
C2. Bintus - Indigo Waste
D1. Neil Landstrumm - The Rise Of Slime
D2. Ordinate - OR 06

Awesome compilation of (industrial) techno and electro, get on it folks. Received my vinyl copy today, couldn't be happier.

I really need to become a regular in this thread. I listen to Pete Tong every week, but there's so much electronic music out there I'm not sure whether I'm listening to the good stuff or not.

daviyoung

Banned
I really need to become a regular in this thread. I listen to Pete Tong every week, but there's so much electronic music out there I'm not sure whether I'm listening to the good stuff or not.

I'm really glad Radio 1 are still keeping him going. The Essential Mix is probably the only thing worth listening to on there. They've completely dropped the ball on dance music.

injurai

Banned

I personally think this thread will keep you straight. I feel the tastes in hear are pretty vetted, and a lot of people are repping their own niche

Widge

Oh oh, I actually finished a mix:

https://hearthis.at/fourfourfun/fourfourfun-i-caught-your-reflection/

130c2c7d98b36e0afb356b29dce92aa8_w800_v3.jpg

Petwo Evans - Tumble
Claro Intelecto - White Sun
Wata Igarishi - Flare
Donato Dozzy - Fazah
Pye Corner Audio - Electronic Rhythm One
Bicep - Satisfy (John Talabot Rain Mix)
The Field - No No... (John Tejada Mix)
Le Carousel - Broken (Felix Martin Remix)
Cavaan - Wilderness
Sigward - Black Mambo
John Daly - Everlasting
Richard Fearless - Gamma Ray
CW/Avatism - Conducting The Method
Pangaea - Pob
Coni - The Opposite
Simoncino - Beyond The Dance
iamamiwhoami - Effect

Low tempo smooth atmospheric techno. DL link available in the url.

https://soundcloud.com/mikep

µ-ZIQ aka Mike Paradinas just put up a bunch of 80s synth work. They're incredible and have no business existing in our current decade.

I think a lot of you in here will really these.

Lots of interesting and great tracks thus far. I enjoyed his Tango 'N' Vectif period as a whole, so there are quite a few pleasant surprises for me. I still haven't completed the dump yet though, so I better hurry before they are "gone." It's very interesting to hear Mike recreate other "iconic" sounds from scratch as he didn't have a sampler until 1994.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legowelt has another new album out on bandcamp: https://legowelt.bandcamp.com/album/rising-sun-systems-oberheim-space

I really enjoy the versatility of Legowelt the last 5 years or so. I can see how it is hard to keep up with him given his output, but there has been a lot of good material to come out since The Teac Life and I don't feel like a lot of it should have been left to the archives.

Speaking of versatile: https://soundcloud.com/hothausrecs/legowelt-lumeria

gdt

So Duke Dumont redid The Giver and is putting it on the album. Haven't heard it yet but I'm wary....The Giver is one of my favorite tracks, and I'm not sure he rolls like that anymore.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvQlPjY878

Edit: it's solid, pretty much what you'd expect from DD today. He added the verses back in from whatever the sample came from and changed the music accordingly a bit to a verse/chorus format.

Doesn't fuck with the original though.

Top Bottom