• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DJ : Butane
Producer : Re-UP

I'm getting old though... all those ''new'' names I now hear about don't do much for me.

edit:

Amazing mix from tINI @ Awakenings Easter Special 020415

I'm kind of in the same boat as you... I read an article on how 33 is the year where a lot of people stop heavily following new music/genres, and well I'm a bit over 2 months away from my 33rd birthday. But really, its just a matter of time and me not 'digging' as much. Been getting a bit back into older progressive house as of late, and the occasional 'future house' retro 90's throwback I'm still into.

Haven't been clubbing as much since I'm dating a girl who doesn't like that at all. - But I will be making an exception to see my friend Blueshift open for Dusky at Verboten, my current favorite nightclub.

Anyways, I've been gone quite a bit from this thread... any new scenes/genres/acts I've missed? More into the nu-disco, deep house, and progressive side of things. Not as much into minimal techno, dubstep, trap, juke or big-room EDM.

OG Kush

Some recent gems:

Jackson Lee - Get So High

These all fall into the dub/deep house side of things.

Anyone know the sample in this? Definitely heard the vocal before but can't quite put my finger on it.

Also what do people think of the new Ten Walls:
Ten Walls - Blue Orphan
Ten Walls - Sparta
I like Sparta, but its a bit formulaic compared to his old stuff. Also just rehashing the horn synth. Decent, nothing special I feel. Atleast compared to his older stuff.

Reently heard the new Joy Orbison and Boddika - Severed Seven.. Goes off in the rave!

So, Further Future was really fun. I don't think I was able to see any of the Scissor & Thread people unfortunately, but the people I did see were really great. The Orb, in particular, jesus.

Nyx

I'm kind of in the same boat as you... I read an article on how 33 is the year where a lot of people stop heavily following new music/genres, and well I'm a bit over 2 months away from my 33rd birthday. But really, its just a matter of time and me not 'digging' as much. Been getting a bit back into older progressive house as of late, and the occasional 'future house' retro 90's throwback I'm still into.

Haven't been clubbing as much since I'm dating a girl who doesn't like that at all. - But I will be making an exception to see my friend Blueshift open for Dusky at Verboten, my current favorite nightclub.

Anyways, I've been gone quite a bit from this thread... any new scenes/genres/acts I've missed? More into the nu-disco, deep house, and progressive side of things. Not as much into minimal techno, dubstep, trap, juke or big-room EDM.

Turning 37 myself in 2 months...
I still listen to a lot of electronic music, daily even, but mostly older sets or new stuff from artists I already knew.

Occassionaly I discover new artists but nowadays it's mostly funk, disco and house instead of techno haha.

Also hardly go clubbing or to festivals anymore, I feel old there most of the time, many 16-21 year olds with clothing and haircuts I don't understand talking about stuff that I don't care about anymore...

Yup, I'm becoming that sour guy now it feels haha.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Some recent gems:

Florent/M - Chemtrails
Hidden Spheres - Goodbye
Jackson Lee - Get So High
Lars Fenin - Solidarity (Juno link, can't find YT/SC link)
Diego Krause - No Guts, No Glory EP (I'm particularly enamored by B1)
Karina - K1
Steevio - Codi

These all fall into the dub/deep house side of things.

Cool, gonna have to check some of these out... btw I checked out your Scissor and Thread mix you posted on here a few weeks ago - it was really cool! Tried to comment via Soundcloud but it wasn't posting for whatever reason. Anyways, I dug the dubby track after Bjork and the 'vampy' sounding one ~48min in. Good stuff, and I met a few of the label people when seeing Adultnapper at EZoo 2013, which tuned me into the label. Quite partial to Bob Moses' stuff.

okno

Cool, gonna have to check some of these out... btw I checked out your Scissor and Thread mix you posted on here a few weeks ago - it was really cool! Tried to comment via Soundcloud but it wasn't posting for whatever reason. Anyways, I dug the dubby track after Bjork and the 'vampy' sounding one ~48min in. Good stuff, and I met a few of the label people when seeing Adultnapper at EZoo 2013, which tuned me into the label. Quite partial to Bob Moses' stuff.

Thanks, dude! Still hard to believe my name is up on one of their podcasts, haha. Mad proud of it, as it's unlike any other mix I've ever done.

That Bjork track is actually by Plaid (Lilith (feat. Bjork)), the dubby track is Yagya (another Icelandic artist) and the vampy one is Delta Funktionen - Conflict Data. Thanks for listening, appreciate it!

Bob Moses is pretty wild. Really cool dudes! Unfortunately, they got signed onto Domino, so they're no longer with us.

Might see you at that Dusky gig!

Widge

Been too busy at work to dig for a while, just now catching up in the thread. Need another plug night sometime soon.

Jamming hard to this lately

New Earth Army - Drvg Cvltvre

Have a check of this. I was lucky enough to be offered the entire EP. The entire collection is strong, so glad not to make the choice:

http://inverted-audio.com/stream-an-entire-forthcoming-ep-from-drvg-cvltvre/#arvlbdata

The next Omnidisc release is by Cliff Lothar and is excellent. A cross between his Skudge White and remix for Hivern Discs.

Dreaver

gdt

oOOOOOOOOOOOOOH new Bicep EP coming soon...thanks for the heads up!

And Jacques Greene is in Philly June 7th......gonna try to get there. Just gotta get some people to go with. Love JG.

Rktk

"Dayne S's "My Soul" is up next, another soundsystem-ready disco-house jam which tickles the subwoofers beautifully and seems purpose built for eyes-wide-shut Summer terrace play in big outdoor spaces."

Love this, how are people for disco house?

https://soundcloud.com/exploited/dayne-s-my-soul-exploited
---
https://soundcloud.com/studiobrussel/playground-aeroplane

36:30 in is a new unreleased track from Alex Metric that I think sounds great. Alex Metric's last few tracks seemed to be going after that EDM, bang bang, woop woop thing, maybe he realised he should start making music with a groove again.

Really like that.

Anyone know the sample in this? Definitely heard the vocal before but can't quite put my finger on it.

Also what do people think of the new Ten Walls:
Ten Walls - Blue Orphan
Ten Walls - Sparta
I like Sparta, but its a bit formulaic compared to his old stuff. Also just rehashing the horn synth. Decent, nothing special I feel. Atleast compared to his older stuff.

Reently heard the new Joy Orbison and Boddika - Severed Seven.. Goes off in the rave!

its from Toni Braxton - I Get So High

This tonight \o/
10405508_10203812022492121_5544829030970799863_n.jpg

Any Bay Area peeps around next month looking to go to an underground hit me up with a PM.

Bonus if you have power tools and feel like helping a bit with making some box like structures to simulate a skyline for projection mapping. Should be a pretty simple job (especially if you have saw horsses and a circular saw).

I've built out a bunch of portable video cameras on necklaces that go into a video mixing matrix that is going to be rear projected on a 175" diagonal screen hanging above the DJ area. We'll be handing them out to the audience to create dynamic crowdsourced visuals.

A (drum and) bassment will be wallpapered floor to ceiling with mylar and have dynamic LED artwork reflecting into infinity.

gdt

So Blawan is back to putting out solo music for the first time in 3 years and he puts it on his own label vinyl only.

Goddamit. New stuff sounds good though.

okno

So Blawan is back to putting out solo music for the first time in 3 years and he puts it on his own label vinyl only.

Goddamit. New stuff sounds good though.

This should come as no surprise, considering the amount of material he has released that has remained vinyl only. The dude is dedicated to the underground, he's not going to change.

okno

New Herbert album is streaming on the Guardian. First electronic release since Scale, I guess? Love the dude's music but I don't keep up with him that much, tbh.

I've always loved Herbert, but his recent material has left me wanting. I thought '8' was fucking horrible, but I loved his conceptual piece, The End of Silence. 'Shakes' is good for what it is, but it's not what I was expecting, but, then again, it's Matthew Herbert. This is NOT a DJ album, by any stretch of the imagination, but I can see some smart people pulling off some of these tracks to good effect ("Smart" being the most obvious one) in an adventurous set. I want him to go back to doing something like Oo Licky just one more time, but it's evident that he's taking the artist route in life and not letting his past highlights define what his current output will be, and I respect that.

On that Herbert tip: I don't know how I slept this long on Galcher Lustwerk, but fuck me this dude is talented.

I mean...

Widge

On that Herbert tip: I don't know how I slept this long on Galcher Lustwerk, but fuck me this dude is talented.

I mean...

i take it you've heard his blowing up the workshop mix?

I can't find any more snippets but this upcoming release from Kessel Vale is probably the best EP of the year for me so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXMBMhXYh9A

A minute and a bit doesn't do it justice as there is some exceptional mastery of structure and evolution in there. Has the warmth of a Floating Points production but with a real electronic twang.

I've always loved Herbert, but his recent material has left me wanting. I thought '8' was fucking horrible, but I loved his conceptual piece, The End of Silence. 'Shakes' is good for what it is, but it's not what I was expecting, but, then again, it's Matthew Herbert. This is NOT a DJ album, by any stretch of the imagination, but I can see some smart people pulling off some of these tracks to good effect ("Smart" being the most obvious one) in an adventurous set. I want him to go back to doing something like Oo Licky just one more time, but it's evident that he's taking the artist route in life and not letting his past highlights define what his current output will be, and I respect that.

I mean...
Galcher is great, been on him since I saw the White Material Boiler Room and his track Put On

Movement this year was amazing. I'm so happy Shawn Rudiman finally got to play at the festival. He kicks so much ass and deserved it, he killed it. Club Toilet (I'm biased), No Way Back, and the Industry Brunch were all amazing. If you haven't done Movement before I highly recommend!

okno

Movement this year was amazing. I'm so happy Shawn Rudiman finally got to play at the festival. He kicks so much ass and deserved it, he killed it. Club Toilet (I'm biased), No Way Back, and the Industry Brunch were all amazing. If you haven't done Movement before I highly recommend!

Uggggh, I'm so jealous. This year sounded fucking amazing.

Ryan was raving about Club Toilet! I saw a video of it and it just looked fucking nuuuuts. If that's any indication of how Pride at Bunker will be, I'm now more excited than ever :)

Edit: how was my girl Dahlia at the Industry Brunch? Proud of that bitch!

Top Bottom