• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

BeeDog

Also loving the new Hudson Mohawke album; he has skillfully stuck to his signature style which Rustie, for example, massively failed to do. Some proper bangers, but unfortunately some tripe, overly poppy tunes on "Lantern". The tune with Miguel was a pleasant surprise though.

Highlights: System / Shadows / Lil Djembe / Ryderz / Deepspace (feat. Miguel)

I wanted to pimp one album I discovered today:

The Fear Ratio - Refuge Of A Twisted Soul

Excellent (and very surprising!) dark trap/hip-hop with IDM influences by Mark Broom and James Ruskin, two real UK techno stalwarts.

Also loving the new Hudson Mohawke album; he has skillfully stuck to his signature style which Rustie, for example, massively failed to do. Some proper bangers, but unfortunately some tripe, overly poppy tunes on "Lantern". The tune with Miguel was a pleasant surprise though.

Highlights: System / Shadows / Lil Djembe / Ryderz / Deepspace (feat. Miguel)

I wanted to pimp one album I discovered today:

The Fear Ratio - Refuge Of A Twisted Soul

Excellent (and very surprising!) dark trap/hip-hop with IDM influences by Mark Broom and James Ruskin, two real UK techno stalwarts.
I think Very Last Breath and Scud Books are also great, and Warriors is constantly in my head. I'm actually not a huge fan of Ryderz, it sounds strangely mixed to me

Might not be everyones cup of tea but been listening to this a bunch recently
http://hanz.feltzine.us

download-cover.png

Uggggh, I'm so jealous. This year sounded fucking amazing.

Ryan was raving about Club Toilet! I saw a video of it and it just looked fucking nuuuuts. If that's any indication of how Pride at Bunker will be, I'm now more excited than ever :)

Edit: how was my girl Dahlia at the Industry Brunch? Proud of that bitch!
everyone who played at the brunch was awesome. Shawn Rudiman was playing live alongside Sassmouth for a while which was amazing. My favorite part of the day was when The Black Madonna changed the music with the weather. When it was started raining she started playing this I:Cube remix, I can't remember the name of the original track. Then when the rain stopped and the sun started shining she started playing Brighter Days. I can't with her, shes way too good lol.

Just a reminder for any bay area peeps interested, I'm throwing an underground in a church (yes really) on 6/19. i'll both be DJ'ing and presenting an installation art piece where wireless cameras worn by the audience are fed into a beat reactive effect matrix that can be further controlled by audience members at a "security" station.

Main room is going to be primarily Techno/House (from hard to groovy to deep) and the basement is gong to be DnB.

Send me a PM and I can work out getting you an invitation.

Eep. Any good?

Also, 8:58 has been out a while (one of the Orbital guys) and is pretty good too.

I thnk the majority is pretty awesome actually. Everything from bangers to some almost witch-housey type stuff. A few tracks are brought down by vocals (as is so often the case unfortunately).

Shaneus

I thnk the majority is pretty awesome actually. Everything from bangers to some almost witch-housey type stuff. A few tracks are brought down by vocals (as is so often the case unfortunately).
Does it retain any of that grimey tribal-ness of Leftism and R&S?

Does it retain any of that grimey tribal-ness of Leftism and R&S?

Yes, here and there. Unfortunately one of the tracks in that style is my least fav just cause of the vocals, but perhaps it will grow on me. The production on everything is top notch (as one would expect).

Shameless self plug again for bay area peeps. Demo of a single channel of the wireless video installation I'll be presenting at this upcoming warehouse event. There will be 3 lanyard cameras in the crowd that people can trade and one mounted aimed at the DJ going through this effect matrix. No sound and quality is shit cause i used Camtasia, but its all audio reactive. I also plan on setting up a launchpad in a "security station" so people can interactively manipulate the camera switching and effects.

MoodyFog

Hello brehs,

Figured this place was probably a good one to ask:

What are, for you, the essentials of Detroit Techno music?

I only listened to Neptune's Lair and Deep Space so far and they were both great so I want to get into more stuff

Thanks

lazygecko

Looks like Beatport's site layout went straight to modernized unusable tablet shit. I just wanted to find out what the kids are jamming to in specific genres these days but I can't even figure out how to browse by genre any more.

Looks like Beatport's site layout went straight to modernized unusable tablet shit. I just wanted to find out what the kids are jamming to in specific genres these days but I can't even figure out how to browse by genre any more.

christ dont go to beatport for that then lol

injurai

Banned

johnlenham, did you catch this yet?

It's like garage/grime based. But goes for a strange cyberpunk downtempo vibe. Doesn't know if it's 80's or 90's.

Hello brehs,

Figured this place was probably a good one to ask:

What are, for you, the essentials of Detroit Techno music?

I only listened to Neptune's Lair and Deep Space so far and they were both great so I want to get into more stuff

Thanks

One of my all time favs, though mostly listening music and not dancefloor focused
http://www.discogs.com/Carl-Craig-More-Songs-About-Food-And-Revolutionary-Art/release/65455

Quite possibly my fav track of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WLtJDKXMCE

Top Bottom