• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Widge

I assume a few people in this thread dabble in DJing. I hope so at least!

Recently I've been really wanting to try my hand at doing it, for myself at least. I need a creative outlet in my life and feel like this is something I would really enjoy, but I'm starting from absolute scratch here.

Any advice on where to start in terms of equipment? I mean like what are the bare bones things that I would need to learn the absolute basics of mixing etc, as obviously I don't want to put down a lot of money into it just yet until I know that it's something that I'd really enjoy.

Also if anyone has any recommended resources for someone starting out from scratch, that would be great.

I find it depends. If you're content with playing to yourself in your bedroom or whatever, Native Instruments controllers are great for getting up and going. Jog wheels on the older models give you that hands on sensation and a digital collection is excellent for having a wealth at your fingertips easily. Probably the most cost effective option here. The original S4 is a nice friendnly £250 second hand, all you need is the software and you're in with Traktor.

If you want to be playing out, it is a case of getting used to CDJ's or Technics. I don't think I'd fancy taking my epic controller along to a proper night and having to faff around with all that. It's why I now have a wee vinyl collection.

I find it depends. If you're content with playing to yourself in your bedroom or whatever, Native Instruments controllers are great for getting up and going. Jog wheels on the older models give you that hands on sensation and a digital collection is excellent for having a wealth at your fingertips easily. Probably the most cost effective option here. The original S4 is a nice friendnly £250 second hand, all you need is the software and you're in with Traktor.

If you want to be playing out, it is a case of getting used to CDJ's or Technics. I don't think I'd fancy taking my epic controller along to a proper night and having to faff around with all that. It's why I now have a wee vinyl collection.

To add to this I would say and S2 is just as viable. Its actually really well built and pretty much as good as you will get for controllers till you are paying £800+

From that after awhile you will either be content or want to get into Djing fully which is then going to be a grand on CDJs or Vinyl route..the endless money pit haha
Not that it isnt perfectly viable to mix on controllers, my mate has booked Jlin (winner of a million album of the year awards and so on) who is doing her set on a mixtrack pro 4

Nuckinya

Neo Member

To add to this I would say and S2 is just as viable. Its actually really well built and pretty much as good as you will get for controllers till you are paying £800+

From that after awhile you will either be content or want to get into Djing fully which is then going to be a grand on CDJs or Vinyl route..the endless money pit haha
Not that it isnt perfectly viable to mix on controllers, my mate has booked Jlin (winner of a million album of the year awards and so on) who is doing her set on a mixtrack pro 4

Cheers for the replies guys. Definitely looking at just looking at playing at home, making mixes, maybe playing at small gatherings to close friends and things like that. Actually playing out would be something way down the track if this is something I develop nicely at, so for now CDJs or a record player set up is unnecessary as you said.

I've looking at the Traktor S4 Mk2 or the Pioneer DDJ-SB2. Both I've read are good for starting out. Leaning towards the latter as it's a bit cheaper, but happy to be convinced otherwise.

My main question is regarding the whole 2 deck/4 deck and 2 channel/4 channel controller. From what I've read a 2 channel, 2 deck setup is good to start with, but I'm still slightly confused as to what the differences would be from a practical standpoint, so some clarification on this would be good!

i rock the z1 and x1. currently have an s8 on loan from a friend while he's away on business, but honestly I prefer the minimal setup that I have already.

Cheers for the replies guys. Definitely looking at just looking at playing at home, making mixes, maybe playing at small gatherings to close friends and things like that. Actually playing out would be something way down the track if this is something I develop nicely at, so for now CDJs or a record player set up is unnecessary as you said.

I've looking at the Traktor S4 Mk2 or the Pioneer DDJ-SB2. Both I've read are good for starting out. Leaning towards the latter as it's a bit cheaper, but happy to be convinced otherwise.

My main question is regarding the whole 2 deck/4 deck and 2 channel/4 channel controller. From what I've read a 2 channel, 2 deck setup is good to start with, but I'm still slightly confused as to what the differences would be from a practical standpoint, so some clarification on this would be good!

4 decks is just for having well more decks, so you can layer more songs.
Though I dont know anyone that does more than 3 decks on vinyl or 2 decks and a cdj.

Thats why I mentioned the S2 as the S4 just has added expansion for 2 more decks, which are pretty unnecessary imo.

4 decks is just for having well more decks, so you can layer more songs.
Though I dont know anyone that does more than 3 decks on vinyl or 2 decks and a cdj.

Thats why I mentioned the S2 as the S4 just has added expansion for 2 more decks, which are pretty unnecessary imo.

There are other benefits to the s4. The s4 can act a mixer for other devices, the s2 cannot

Rktk

Brighton (UK) based producer Braxton making his music on MTA Records.

adK9SFG.jpg

Holy shit he is good, if you like house, heard him while listening to a mix from Russ Chimes. I will try and catch him when he is in London next.

The Brighton based Braxton is emerging, consistently delivering a fresh strain of darkside percussion and gun finger grooves on the likes of Chase & Status' powerhouse label, MTA Records. His cut-loud-for-the-club sound is like a hybrid of weighted house and techno music smacked bang in the middle of 2016's bass music territory and it's already been saluted by a number of respected luminaries including Pete Tong, MistaJam and Todd 'The God' Edwards. Braxton's also touched the likes of Tourist (with whom he toured last year), Grades and Blonde from whom he's provided sterling remixes.

Aspidistra
21 Days

Mix of his:
Braxton - FABRICLIVE x MTA Records Mix

gdt

New DJ Dodger Stadium is kicking around. Can't wait to get to it. FOM was stellar.

New Breakbot LP too. Loved his last album.

This is the exact route I took. I bought a traktor s2 and I used it until recently. I'm moving onto CD-Js now, but I appreciate everything I learned on the controller.

Widge

Sasha enters the Late Night Tales series! Rather like it. 100% Sasha productions erring on the chilled side. Raises a few Involver-esque heartbeats at points but always dips right back down again.

DJ88

I just uploaded my first mix under my DJ alias on my pages which I'll be uploading mixes to twice a month. Will always be a collection of tracks I'm really liking from the last 2-3 weeks so always the newest stuff and hopefully nothing you've heard before.

Hope you guys don't mind me sharing the link here. I'd love to get some feedback. First half is very Tech-House while the second half is Techno focused. I hope you guys enjoy it.

https://www.mixcloud.com/ComplexSolution/shatter/
feb1agosro.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Intergalactic Summer (Kastis Torrau Remix) - Stas Drive
2. Volta - Matthias Tanzmann, Daniel Stefanik
3. We Feel - Ben Remember
4. Crazy Claves - Dani Sbert
5. Trece - Kenny Brian
6. Coulees (Blue Version) - Summer (Brendon Collins), Swyft
7. Move a Little Closer - Nicole Moudaber
8. Colante (Nick Devon Remix) - Innellea
9. Kitana (Original Mix) - Andres Blows
10. Submission (Truncate Rework) - Truncate & Jimmy
11. Time For Change (Lonya Remix) - Cristoph
12. Quetzalcoatl (Petter B Remix ) - Cari Lekebusch

daviyoung

Banned
I just uploaded my first mix under my DJ alias on my pages which I'll be uploading mixes to twice a month. Will always be a collection of tracks I'm really liking from the last 2-3 weeks so always the newest stuff and hopefully nothing you've heard before.

Hope you guys don't mind me sharing the link here. I'd love to get some feedback. First half is very Tech-House while the second half is Techno focused. I hope you guys enjoy it.

https://www.mixcloud.com/ComplexSolution/shatter/
feb1agosro.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Intergalactic Summer (Kastis Torrau Remix) - Stas Drive
2. Volta - Matthias Tanzmann, Daniel Stefanik
3. We Feel - Ben Remember
4. Crazy Claves - Dani Sbert
5. Trece - Kenny Brian
6. Coulees (Blue Version) - Summer (Brendon Collins), Swyft
7. Move a Little Closer - Nicole Moudaber
8. Colante (Nick Devon Remix) - Innellea
9. Kitana (Original Mix) - Andres Blows
10. Submission (Truncate Rework) - Truncate & Jimmy
11. Time For Change (Lonya Remix) - Cristoph
12. Quetzalcoatl (Petter B Remix ) - Cari Lekebusch

sweet set, just the right type of funky...do you have a dl link?

holy shit

Widge

Found myself having a chuckle at the latest I'm Starting To Feel Ok compilation (which is great)... Gold Panda appears on there under an alias with a depressive jack track, except it has a sample of a guy over the top of it saying combinations of:

Chelmsford
On a Saturday
White shirt
Blue jeans
Brown (brahn) shoes

As someone who grew up in Chelmsford, I know how FUCKING SHIT it is. So the mocking tone struck a chord.

Widge

I don't have the cash for vinyl nowadays but I plan on getting one or two special ones whenever I can rather than bulking up on "solid cuts". Currently my hitlist reads:

DJ Richard - Grind
Gonno - Remember The Life Is Beautiful
Bill Converse - Meditations/Industry (wow)
Disasterpeace - Fez (omg repress you bastards)
Throwing Snow - Axioms Ltd Ed (6 track pressing of formerly digital releases)
Mgun - Gentium

Might be the odd bit of inspiration in there for you! DO check that Throwing Snow & Bill Converse.

I don't have the cash for vinyl nowadays but I plan on getting one or two special ones whenever I can rather than bulking up on "solid cuts". Currently my hitlist reads:

DJ Richard - Grind
Gonno - Remember The Life Is Beautiful
Bill Converse - Meditations/Industry (wow)
Disasterpeace - Fez (omg repress you bastards)
Throwing Snow - Axioms Ltd Ed (6 track pressing of formerly digital releases)
Mgun - Gentium

Might be the odd bit of inspiration in there for you! DO check that Throwing Snow & Bill Converse.
bill converse is a sick, sick, sick DJ. He was playing raves when he was like 13 years old, everyone had at least heard of him. His dad would drive him there to play.

Widge

bill converse is a sick, sick, sick DJ. He was playing raves when he was like 13 years old, everyone had at least heard of him. His dad would drive him there to play.

Never even heard of him until I took a punt on this. Apparently was originally a limited run cassette. Absolutely quality. Enthralling analogue shit.

Hey guys,

I'm putting together a new mix of house and electro. I'm kind of using this moment to dive back into electro, new and old. Can you guys recommend interesting electro tracks youve come across. Not classic like Clear and Pack Jam, but less well-known stuff and tracks that may not even really be considered electro but elements of the genre.

some stuff I want to use

Americhord - Tighter My Grip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBc7d9RC7k

Lerosa - Desir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3na9ULUfgok

as well as more traditional stuff like

DJ Assault - Shake It Baby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-x_lEUWG9o

okno

For newer electro, follow Delta Funktionen and his label, Radio Matrix. DF is a BIG electro nut and features it prominently in all of his sets. He'll teach you a thing or 20.

Top Bottom