• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Don't write Moby off, dude. Have seen pretty much all you've listed there and by far, both Axwell and Felix were the most disappointing. Axwell was on a main stage where he only played 30 seconds of each of the songs he produced, *just* missing the main drops of most of them (especially the remode of I Found You. The drop in that is incredible but he skipped over it completely). Diggers is alright if he isn't using Ableton (saw him do a vs w/ Sasha, was very average) and AvH is pretty good. Just a shame that he's not in that phase where he's playing tracks like his remix of Hustler.

PS. If you haven't before, see Big Black Cox. He's a fucking epic DJ, you'd be sorry if you miss him.

btkadams

Skiptastic said:
Yes, because dubstep is fucking terrible.
no, it just is so popular that there is an abundance of bad dubstep. it's still mostly not my taste though.
joelseph said:
Gaf's tastes in EDM is terrible, but I will agree that dubstep can get pretty cheesy. Postdub is the bee knees though!
gaf's taste in edm has been pretty awesome actually.

Shaneus

Yeah, the overall opinion (at least in this thread) is fairly decent if you don't like incredibly niche genres. The amount of good tracks I've found on here has been a little ridiculous (cheers subrock!).

subrock

my pleasure shaneus. new mix coming soon I promise. I lost a little confidence moving to the new rig but I think I'm getting back to solid ground :)

also, moby's new stuff has been really good IMO. I've heard he goes really ravey when he DJs (which I like)

Chaplain

Electric Zoo 2010 Broadcast 2010.09.04 & 05

Zoo2010_A.jpg

Zoo2010_B.jpg

Broadcast Schedule TBA..

joelseph

Last night on Giles Peterson - MOUNT FUCKING KIMBIE. Can't post the link cause it is blocked but it is a hotfile on Corenews. Soooo good.

Nyx

Are the pink names the ones that are being broadcast ?

Terrible decisions if so, in my opinion ofcourse.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nyx said:
Are the pink names the ones that are being broadcast ?

Terrible decisions if so, in my opinion ofcourse.

I think those are who madeevent consider the "Main Events". Diggers and Hawtin being the 2 of the main events I am most interested in seeing. I wish my camera was working so I could take some pics from the Zoo.

subrock

chemical brothers are still on my bucket list, although I think I would have liked them more in the mid-90 than right now.

also need to see orbital and etienne de crecy.

Shaneus

Haven't seen Chemical Brothers? Dang. I saw them when they were touring for Push the Button... they were rubbish :(
Seeing them prior to that at a festival when touring for Surrender? Fucking epic.

I also saw Orbital this year (Doctor? omg) and almost saw EDC. Supposedly insane.

Saw Fake Blood this year, sucked because he didn't play Mars or Fix Your Accent... and there was no bottom end on the system he was playing on. Did find out about Cheap and Cheerful, though.

As far as that broadcast goes, they need to air Wolfgang Gartner. Dude can play a set to slay even the hardest motherfuckers.

Chaplain

Electric Zoo Festival 2010 Broadcast on SiriusXM Sept 04 - Sept 05

electric_zoo_2010.jpg

Broadcast Schedule Released (All Times EST USA):

SATURDAY 9/4

12:30-1:50P Gareth Emery (LIVE from Hilltop Stage)
1:50-3:10P Markus Schulz (LIVE from Hilltop Stage)
3:10-4:30P Afrojack (LIVE from Hilltop Stage)
4:30-5:30P Joachim Garraud (Special Set Recorded for Sirius Area)
5:30-5:50P Tom Middleton (Recorded earlier from Main Stage)
5:50-7:10P Chuckie (LIVE from Hilltop Stage)
7:10-8:30P Boris (Recorded earlier from Main Stage)
8:30-9:15P Benny Benassi (LIVE from Main Stage)
9:15-10:00P Axwell (LIVE from Hilltop Stage)
10:00-11:00P Avicii (Special Set Recorded for Sirius Area)
11:00-11:45P Kaskade (Recorded earlier from Hilltop Stage)
11:45-1:00A Dirty South (Recorded earlier from Main Stage)

SUNDAY 9/5

12:00-1:30P D. Ramirez (LIVE from Hilltop Stage)
1:30-2:30P Cosmic Gate (LIVE from Hilltop Stage)
2:30-3:30P Funkagenda (LIVE from Main Stage)
3:30-5:00P Laidback Luke (LIVE from Main Stage)
5:00-6:30P Moby (LIVE from Main Stage)
6:30-8:00P Avicii (Recorded earlier from Hilltop Stage)
8:00-9:10P Fedde LeGrand (LIVE from Main Stage)
9:10-11:00P Armin van Buuren (LIVE from Main Stage)
11:00-12:30A Steve Aoki (Recorded earlier from Hilltop Stage)
12:30-1:45A Sander van Doorn (Recorded earlier from Hilltop Stage)
1:45-2:15A Above & Beyond (Recorded earlier from Hilltop Stage)
2:15-3:15A Diplo (Recorded earlier from Red Bull Stage)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I took a shitload of pics from EZ (bought a new camera specifically for the event), will upload them soon.

EZ was fucking AWESOME. Day 1 was great - Tom Middleton played a weird mix of dubstep, d&b and cheesy house... Joris Voorn played loopy funky house, Kaskade, Steve Bug, Richie Hawtin. The sound in the Sunday School tent (where all the techno/minimal/tech house guys played) was to die for.

Day 2 was absolutely mindblowing. Grum, Aeroplane, John Digweed, Dusty Kid, Orchard Lounge, the 3-man team of David Squillace/Matthias Tanzmann/Martin Buttrich. Sooo good. I'm so glad electronic music is finally taking off in NYC in a big way, only problem is a lot of DJs playing it "safe" by playing obvious anthems. I swear, if I hear Swedish House Mafia-One again :p

The artists Sirius XM picked, wtf... no Digweed or Aeroplane? And Diplo? I ran out of the room 5 minutes after he came on... fucking awful (I think reggae music is some of the most vile and repugnant stuff out there personally).

okno

The more I hear about how good the sound was in the Sunday school grove tent, the more I wish I had gone... Oh well...

Bunker Friday night with the Clone crew was killer. Hello? Repeat Soundsystem took two hours to get properly started, but they slated once they did. I spent the majority of the first three hours in the front room listening to Bethany Benzur, a local Brooklyn DJ who tore it the fuck up! Definitely keep an eye on her if you like funky, disco-influenced house. Anyone who plays "Pop Musik (Todd Terje rmx) by M gets an A+ in my book! Dexter after her played a really grooving tech-house set.

Bunker next month is going to have Peter van Hoesen AND Mount Kimbie! Too excited!

Friday at Love is Roman Flugel (5 hour set!) and a super rare live performance by TRANVERSABLE WORMHOLE! I'm so stoked! So many amazing parties in the next few weeks...

This weekend also played host to a Bpitch Control party, but it was somewhere in the middle of nowhere Queens, so I didn't bother going. It was also $45 and yeah no...

joelseph

okno said:
Huh? It's Superpitcher. Four Tet did a podcast for them ages ago.

Right you are. I blame whoever fed me that RSS!

Best mix I got today is def

Votron DJ's City of Sleepless Nights Mixtape (Silverback promo)

1. Deadboy – Fireworks (Slo mo house edit) – Well Rounded
2. Groovenue – Boombap (Voltron Remix) – Cdr
3. Donga & Blake – Detroitus – Well Rounded
4. Gongon – I Could Be There – Well Rounded
5. Ultravid – Daylight – Cdr
6. Bad Autopsy – Rotpot – Ramp Recordings
7. Voltron – Down (Demo)
8. C.R.S.T – Need You – Well Rounded
9. Samo Sound Boy – Fall Back – Cdr
10. Style Of Eye & Slagmalklubben – Homeless (Canblaster Dub) – Fool’s Gold
11. Berou & Canblaster – Terence Hill (Club Cheval All Star remix) – Grizzly
12. Voltron – Untitled (Demo)
13. The Phantom – Girl - Senseless Recordings
14. Nguzunguzu – Strut – Silverback Recordings
15. Ramadanman – Work Them – Swamp 81
16. BD1982 – Trails (Jam City remix) – Seclusiasis
17. Nguzunguzu – Rec Loose – Silverback Recordings
18. Damu – Sequinny – Cdr
19. Pariah – Prism – R&S records
20. Jack Dixon – Substitute – Silverback Recordings
21. Kavsrave – Deluded – Cdr
22. Melanie Fiona – It Kills Me (Breakage remix) – Cdr

Dartastic

I know this probably should go in the music production thread, but I'm wondering, that technique where someone kind of stops the entire mix and loops a section for a second or so? It kinda stutters, or beat repeats or something, but most people drop it in so well. Pretty much everyone uses it, it seems, and I have no clue how the hell to do it. Halp!?!?!?

okno

Dartastic said:
I know this probably should go in the music production thread, but I'm wondering, that technique where someone kind of stops the entire mix and loops a section for a second or so? It kinda stutters, or beat repeats or something, but most people drop it in so well. Pretty much everyone uses it, it seems, and I have no clue how the hell to do it. Halp!?!?!?
Depends on the setup, but new mixers have a specific button for it. I forget the name of it, but you loop a specific number of beats in a measure or several bars, depending on how you set it up. You just push the button and it loops. It's really simple. You set the start and end measure, and you can also just make it loops the last 4 beats, last 8 or last 2 with the switch of a knob.

Also, everyone should really get those Four Tet and Superpitcher mixes. Killer.

subrock

you can also do it via something called "loop roll" which means that you have a short (say 1/2 beat) loop and when you let go of it it puts you where you would have been. nifty!

subrock

new mix here!

direct download link click here

1. Ocelot - beating hearts (louis la roche remix)
2. Lifelike - love emulator (club mix)
3. miami horror - moon theory (punks jump up remix)
4. evil nine - real love
5. miami horror - sometimes (gloves extended mix)
6. deadmau5 and wolfgang gartner - animal rights
7. underworld - bird 1
8. tomcraft - room 414 (can't get away) (the other version)
9. john dahlback - Olympia
10. ean skizzle - dibby dibby
11. shinichi osawa - push (alex gopher remix)
12. Kissy sell out - joanna (fasial remix)
13. radiohead - pyramid song (zed's dead Illuminati remix)

This is a promo mix for a new monthly I'm launching fairly soon called ALIVE. trying to do a straight up dance music night with out having to apologize to the top 40 crowd. me and this other long time DJ dude hopefully can drum up some fun in this town :)
more info about ALIVE here: http://tinyurl.com/3a4sq7w

Shaneus

Oh shit, Evil Nine is back? PS. Is that version of Joanna the one you were referring to in your Twitter (that I replied to ;)) or the original?

subrock

Shaneus said:
Oh shit, Evil Nine is back? PS. Is that version of Joanna the one you were referring to in your Twitter (that I replied to ;)) or the original?
definitely this remix. listen to it on my mix, it goes fuckin' harrrrrrd. and yeah, evil nine is back and I like what I'm hearing.

Shaneus

Breaky? One of my favourite breakbeat albums ever is You Can Be Special, Too... The fact that there's no real filler is awesome.

Which reminds me, if you haven't, check out Adam Freeland's Essential Mix from around '03/04. Fucking incredible.

okno

http://www.clr.net/podcast/index1.html

Been going through the CLR podcast backlog tonight. Should be sleeping now, but the Ben Klock live at "BE" in Ibiza is keeping my blood pumping. The DJ Emerson and Peter Van Hoesen mixes are both excellent, as well as the Marcel Dettmann, Drumcell and Lucy ones. Most of you here would probably get a kick out of the various Adam Beyer podcasts he's done, although there is definitely something for everyone on there.

God bless techno (hurray for umbrella terms!).

edit: It should be noted that all of the podcasts can be downloaded for free through iTunes. I wish I had known this earlier, but still a very nice thing to find.

joelseph

Egyptrixx was on Sinden, sick sick sick.
DJ Rashad and Spin on XLR8R, volume is low though.
The Wildlife promo for the new Hard Ass Sessions 3 is so money.
The last MAH show grew on me, I guess Burial is okay.

Chaplain

Broadcasting live in 5 mins:

59105_1525566653100_1052646049_1538540_4075885_n.jpg

Line up:

8:00am-9:00am PST Swaveto pres. Mr.White
9:00-10:00 PST Tom Neptunes
10:00-11:00 PST Ernesto vs Bastian
11:00-12:00 PST Menno de Jong
12:00-1:00 PST Ferry Corsten
1:00-2:00 PST Leon Bolier
2:00-3:00 PST Sied van Riel
3:00-4:00 PST Jason van Wyk
4:00-5:00 PST Cliff Coenraad
5:00-6:00 PST Daniel Wanrooy
6:00-7:00 PST Ranz

Stream links (PureSound.fm radio):

Winamp

WMP

joelseph

NGUZUNGUZU Mirage EP Promo

http://www.yousendit.com/download/UFVxcmxlYSs4Q1R2Wmc9PQ

Intro
NGUZUNGUZU - 'Got U (Physical Therapy Moments In Samba Edit Ft. Twista)
DJ K. Millz - 'All The Way Turnt Up'
DJ Phinesse - 'Let The Horns Blow'
DJ Emaci - 'De Outros Tipos 2010'
Wacha - 'Scratcha'
DJ Fraga - 'Racha 2010'
NGUZUNGUZU - 'Rec Loose'
Ciara - 'Lose My Mind Freestyle'
Pelican Fly - 'Bendin'
The Phantom - 'Girl (Brenmar Remix)
Sam Sparro - 'Pink Clouds (Nguzunguzu Remix)'
NGUZUNGUZU - 'Spittin N Riddim'
Benny Stixx - 'Hambonez'
NGUZUNGUZU - 'Strut'
Cooly G - 'Up Phat Si'
Kingdom - 'Pang'
NGUZUNGUZU - 'Mirage'
Sgubhu Sa Pitori Ft. Tamar & Kgaugelo - 'Drums And Toms'
The Dream - 'Sex Intelligent'
Lil Silva - 'Pulse VS Flex'
CNDO - 'Durban Funk'
P.O.S - 'Built From Scratch'
Teengirl Fantasy - 'Cheaters'

subrock

Okay, opening for KISSY MAFUCKING SELL OUT on thursday. Setting up a high tempo/high energy pretty ravey set. any songs that I NEED to play?

GO!

joelseph

Popular club bangers:

Big Boi - Shutterbug (Jack Beats Remix)

Green Velvet - Armageddon (Santiago and Bushido Remix)

unknown track that will have the entire place jocking you:

Berou & Canblaster - Terence Hill (Club Cheval All Star remix)

subrock

joelseph said:
Popular club bangers:

Big Boi - Shutterbug (Jack Beats Remix)

Green Velvet - Armageddon (Santiago and Bushido Remix)

unknown track that will have the entire place jocking you:

Berou & Canblaster - Terence Hill (Club Cheval All Star remix)
like! thanks man.

Shaneus

Do they need to be new tracks? I'm not too up-to-date but I can suggest some oldish ones that might suit:

Don Rimini - Let Me Back Up (Crookers remix)
Art vs Science - Parlez Vous Francais? (Hey Now rmx)
The Faint - The Geeks Were Right (DIOYY remix)
Tiga - Shoes (Noob remix)
The Kills - Cheap & Cheerful (Fake Blood remix)

Oh, a few new ones:
Art vs. Science - Magic Fountain (Dcup remix) (Didn't realise there's also a KSO rmx of this!)
Dem Slackers - Let's Go (Bart B More Lessgo remix)
MOP feat Busta Rhymes - Ante Up (Tom Buster remix) (bit cheesy, but the crowd may be up for it)

Fuck. After putting that list together, I REALLY need to do a mix :(

subrock

Shaneus said:
Do they need to be new tracks? I'm not too up-to-date but I can suggest some oldish ones that might suit:

Don Rimini - Let Me Back Up (Crookers remix)
Art vs Science - Parlez Vous Francais? (Hey Now rmx)
The Faint - The Geeks Were Right (DIOYY remix)
Tiga - Shoes (Noob remix)
The Kills - Cheap & Cheerful (Fake Blood remix)

Oh, a few new ones:
Art vs. Science - Magic Fountain (Dcup remix) (Didn't realise there's also a KSO rmx of this!)
Dem Slackers - Let's Go (Bart B More Lessgo remix)
MOP feat Busta Rhymes - Ante Up (Tom Buster remix) (bit cheesy, but the crowd may be up for it)

Fuck. After putting that list together, I REALLY need to do a mix :(
nice ones too! time to hunt.

subrock said:
definitely this remix. listen to it on my mix, it goes fuckin' harrrrrrd. and yeah, evil nine is back and I like what I'm hearing.

So, love the mix as always, but this is creepy. I started listening to the Evil Nine Halloween 2008 mix today. :O

Maybe I subconsciously wanted to listen to it after playing your new track! :)

Top Bottom