• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

joelseph

I prefer JunoDownload now but I dip into Beatport occasionally. They each have their pros and cons. The way Juno handles downloads is so hot, they create a zip of your shopping cart with nice file naming and structure.

okno

joelseph said:
I prefer JunoDownload now but I dip into Beatport occasionally. They each have their pros and cons. The way Juno handles downloads is so hot, they create a zip of your shopping cart with nice file naming and structure.
What's their re-download policy like? That's the one thing I hate about BP. You only have 24 hours to re-download a song and after thar you need to buy it again. Makes no sense.

Nyx

okno said:
What's their re-download policy like? That's the one thing I hate about BP. You only have 24 hours to re-download a song and after thar you need to buy it again. Makes no sense.

My HDD once died, and I lost around 10 gig of Beatport tracks, one email to them and I could re-download everything I had bought.

okno

Nyx said:
My HDD once died, and I lost around 10 gig of Beatport tracks, one email to them and I could re-download everything I had bought.
For real?! Thank god! The only mention in their FAQ is you have 24 hours to redownload a track. I'll shoot them an email. My sister in law deleted a folder of mine that had about 30 tracks i bought a few weeks ago and I really
Need them. They're stuck on my iPod and that doesn't help me out at all.

Damn I made a thread about experiencing Pantha Du Prince at an electronic festival here in Copenhagen a month or two ago... since then this thread (especially joelseph) has introduced me to soo many new names.

I just stumbled upon the evening's schedule where I saw Pantha Du Prince...

program.

I could have seen Darkstar, Pantha, Four Tet and Mount Kimbie in a row... But only saw Pantha and Four Tet and left after that :,(

Don't think this is gonna happen again in Copenhagen :(

btkadams

okno said:
For real?! Thank god! The only mention in their FAQ is you have 24 hours to redownload a track. I'll shoot them an email. My sister in law deleted a folder of mine that had about 30 tracks i bought a few weeks ago and I really
Need them. They're stuck on my iPod and that doesn't help me out at all.
yeah dude. i noticed there were errors in tracks i dled but had never gotten to listening to yet so i sent them an email and they let me dl again. they're so good about that. beatport's customer service has been really chill so far for me.

joelseph

okno said:

Unlimited AFAIK, after so many days you might have to re verify that it is you but beyond that I think they will let you at them for life.

subrock

new mix and this ones a fucking winner if I do say so myself. I've listened to it about 6 times today and I'm loving every second of it. if you havent downloaded any of my mixes, try this one. its a gooder.

http://soundcloud.com/touch-bass/sixty-three

1. Goose ft. Peaches- Synrise
2. Crystal castles - Baptism (punks jump up remix)
3. Digitalism - Blitz
4. Sam la more - I wish it could last
5. Avatars - the air
6. Treasure fingers - it's love
7. Jamiroquai - White knuckle ride (monarchy remix)
8. Groove armada - History (grum remix)
9. Killaqueenz - Break the rules (dcup remix)
10. Azari & III - Reckless with your love (tensnake remix)
11. aniki - lesbian bondage fiasco (nightriders remix)
12. Aston Shuffle - Your love
13. ArnHao - Oh?! (Intangible Fantasy) (Hidden Cat's Totally Tangible Remix)
14. Body language - Falling out
15. Findlay Brown - Promised land (villa remix)

Shaneus

Fuck, some names on that mix I haven't heard for a while! In particular, Nightriders. Make sure you check out a track they did called Silicone Sally. So good.

New Tipper album - Broken Soul Jamboree

Rather nice stuff I must say! Check it out if you're interested in downtempo electronica with interesting sounds and impeccable production.

see5harp

Holy shit the Four Tet remix for The XX's VCR is pretty awesome. He basically does one of his complete rearrangements so it really doesn't sound anything like the original by the end.

Okay, I freaking lost it when I heard this song. It's a remix of that 'Magical Amount' anti-smoking song that was in an ad a couple of years ago.

The looped voice is ridiculous. It's like if a Gremlin invaded a club and dropped some dope beats.

Magical Amount (DJ Sega remix)

I hope Diplo's label signs this guy, he's not bad.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
subrock said:
new mix and this ones a fucking winner if I do say so myself. I've listened to it about 6 times today and I'm loving every second of it. if you havent downloaded any of my mixes, try this one. its a gooder.

3. Digitalism - Blitz
5. Avatars - the air

Sounds like a great mix, can't wait to d/l and listen when I get home! GRUM is awesome, got a chance to meet him and talk to him at the Electric Zoo Festival. And that Tensnake track is HOT.

joelseph

see5harp said:
Holy shit the Four Tet remix for The XX's VCR is pretty awesome. He basically does one of his complete rearrangements so it really doesn't sound anything like the original by the end.

Listen to my mix it works so well in between Far Nearer and Church.

joelseph said:
Small mix I put together for my dog. I plan to fix the levels and add more tracks.

http://soundcloud.com/joelseph/a-mix-for-myles-and-me

Jamie XX - Far Nearer
The XX - VCR (Four Tet remix)
2 Bears - Church
El Guincho - Bombay

see5harp

joelseph said:
Listen to my mix it works so well in between Far Nearer and Church.

Cool I'll check it out. BTW, the latest Mad Decent podcast mix from Diplo starts out with that cool Girls Talk (or whatever it was called) song. Pretty cool hearing that already in a big time mix.

EDIT: sounds good. I really like that El Guincho song. Started off moody ending up upbeat and tropical sounding. There was a lemonade song "lifted" earlier in the year that may fit in between your switch from dark to light and has a section at the start that can probably loop in the mix somewhere.

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/musicvideo/8721-lemonade-lifted-true-panther

hauton

Ooo NeoGAF electronic music topic!

Here's a copypaste off another board I go to of some recent songs I've enjoyed:

Kamei - The Next Lightning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ1yh6dNFB8

Mr. Oizo & Gaspard Augé - Rubber (Kamei Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8qmqHRtGbI

Cut Copy - Far Away (Bag Raiders Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPT5mNCSQeY

Allure - Over and Over (Irish Steph Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vRsc5Kjs0

Le Castle Vania - Nobody Gets Out Alive!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXQ-QFWbPg

La Roux - In for the Kill (Le Castle Vania Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pZnOKcvBd0

Cee Lo Green - Fuck You (Le Castle Vania Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh-mRmM4rr4

Good songs. I don't mind Le Castle Vania, he's alright so far. The Rubber remix is ill by the way, Oizo and half of Justice working together is just incredible, loved that album.

In for the Kill remix is pretty mediocre though. My favorite is the Skream one and followed by Danger's.

The Danger one is refreshing.

hauton

Discotheque said:
Good songs. I don't mind Le Castle Vania, he's alright so far. The Rubber remix is ill by the way, Oizo and half of Justice working together is just incredible, loved that album.

In for the Kill remix is pretty mediocre though. My favorite is the Skream one and followed by Danger's.

The Danger one is refreshing.
wat Danger did a remix of in for the kill :O:O:O:O

love Danger :D

joelseph

Hot Biscuits did a little writeup on Jacques Greene, please to enjoy:

http://hotbiscuits.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/greene-with-envy/

Greene with Envy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIDhX8cpjtI

Montreal churns another prolific producer, this time it’s analog R&B influenced house producer Jacques Greene. The 21 year old mystery producer is set to release 2 releases this fall. The first being on a 12″ split white label vinyl release on Night Slugs with Optimum on the flip, the other will be on LuckyMe. You can preview the LuckyMe release, which doesn’t come out until December, and some various other goodies on his SoundCloud. To hold you over, Jacque sent us over a little analog acid jam he just finished on his 303.

http://www.therealkylestewart.com/biscuits/nov10/Greene_Sorted.mp3

joelseph

London Nov. 12th - Night Slugs showcase at Counter Culture with Bok Bok & L-Vis 1990, Girl Unit, Kingdom, Jam City, Deep Teknologi and Lil Silva. Second room with Tomb Crew, Greenmoney and more. DAMN

Dartastic

So, I need some help. I have a legit copy of Ableton, but I don't wanna spend 129 for the EIC 2. I really want a good piano, and good strings. What do you guys use for those MIDI instruments? Thanks for the advice!

okno

Can we talk about the epic goldmine that is Clone Records? I've been going through their back catalogue and it is a treasure-trove of goodness. It is easily one of the most diverse labels out there, but it works so well on so many levels!

I'm kind of dumb when it comes to music. I don't know genres or anything really, but I do know what I like. This especially when it comes to music that is electronic anything. When people ask me what I listen to, I never know what to tell them and kind of just look at them with a stupid face.

So my usual stuff I listen to is things like Daft Punk/Justice/MSTKRFT, and also love music like Air France—I realize these are far from being like each other. But, I've been venturing out and came across Danger and The Bloody Beetroots.

Totally digging Danger. Can't wait for his full album.

Any recommendations for me? I guess all I can say is I like voice-samples, higher pitched tones, and I guess catchy or what some people might find cheesy.

Shaneus

Metroid Killer said:
This is really nice indeed!
I've actually been pretty devastated with the form of Jacques Lu Cont/Stuart Price/Thin White Duke/Paper Faces/Les Rhythmes Digitales over the last few years. He knocked out some out-of-this-world shit mid-late 2000s, but then started working with Madonna and went downhill from there. Such a shame.

Some choice cuts:

Felix Da Housecat - Silver Screen Shower Scene (Jacques Lu Cont's Thin White Duke Mix)
Felix Da Housecat - Ready 2 Wear (Paper Faces Mix)
Fischerspooner - Just Let Go (Thin White Duke Remix)
Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For? (Thin White Duke Mix)
Juliet - Avalon (Jacques Lu Cont Versus Remix)
Mirwais - Miss You (Thin White Duke Mix)
Placebo - Pure Morning (Les Rythmes Digitales Remix)

Royksöpp - What Else Is There (Jacques Lu Cont Radio Mix)
Starsailor - Four To The Floor (Thin White Duke Mix)
The Faint - The Conductor (Thin White Duke Remix)

(Bolded the truly epic, though the others are nice, too. He did a bunch of similar remixes of Mr. Brightside and What Else Is There, but they were too samey, generic and poppy for me to consider them great tracks)

Shaneus said:
Royksöpp - What Else Is There (Jacques Lu Cont Radio Mix)
Holy shit, I already have a soft spot for the original of this song– mainly because of Karin Deijer. Did this appear on any particular album or comp?

subrock

another DJ in town just msged me and said," I love your mix man, do you mind if I play it at the club tonight?" :lol :lol :lol :lol

I wrote back " I appreciate the gesture but I'd rather people see *me* when they hear my music. I'm trying to earn a living." Fair?

Shaneus

Quote said:
Holy shit, I already have a soft spot for the original of this song– mainly because of Karin Deijer. Did this appear on any particular album or comp?
Um, just the single I think. Keep in mind, I was referring to the JLC *Radio* mix, not the other Thin White Duke ones (which is very similar to Mr. Brightside). Hard to believe it's the same person remixing those tracks, isn't it?

It's really surprising how many other people prefer the other versions to the above one... it's just so perfectly produced and easy to listen to. I often find with Royksopp that some of their tracks can be a little... uncomfortable(?) to listen to. This version though, it sounds like it's an original track (as opposed to a remix) and it just floats perfectly. Not really made for playing anywhere but your loungeroom, iPod or car.

In case you got mixed up, here's the one I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQecqQVBRLo

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
subrock said:

3. Digitalism - Blitz
5. Avatars - the air

Listened to this at the gym... wasn't a big fan of the first 3 tracks, since I'm not big on the glitchy electro house stuff anymore... but from "I Wish It Could Last" to "Reckless With Your Love", it was nonstop awesome. I think I rewound the part with History (Grum mix) on it like 10 times. Very warm, inviting and funky mix you got here.

Only real criticism I could give is that the flow of it seemed a bit weird... like the mix didn't have any kind of "narrative"... just a bunch of awesome songs mixed well, but the mix didn't build upon itself. I dunno if you know what I mean by this, it's kinda hard to describe..

Alucrid

Banned
subrock said:

3. Digitalism - Blitz
5. Avatars - the air

Just finished it. Awesome. What's the best way to keep up with this music? Blogs? I've already started to follow a few that joelseph posted a bit ago, but still, I never heard It's Love and that track is sick.

joelseph

Alucrid said:
Just finished it. Awesome. What's the best way to keep up with this music? Blogs? I've already started to follow a few that joelseph posted a bit ago, but still, I never heard It's Love and that track is sick.

Two different styles, it would be rare to find the type of music in TB's mix on the sites I listed and vise-versa.

A good way to build up a list for find TB style music would be to take his tracklist and search hypeem and google for the tracks. Make note of every blog that mentions them and start reading from there.

Alucrid

Banned
joelseph said:
Two different styles, it would be rare to find the type of music in TB's mix on the sites I listed and vise-versa.

A good way to build up a list for find TB style music would be to take his tracklist and search hypeem and google for the tracks. Make note of every blog that mentions them and start reading from there.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. Well, I have today off from work so lets get started. :D

Top Bottom