• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Pro tip: Phonat can play a killer set. Very, very fucking impressed... reminded me of something that Daft Punk would do if their live performances were DJ sets.

miyuru

Thought this was cool - one of my edits has been featured as "Remix of the Week" on RTE Pulse, a radio station in Ireland. From my understanding RTE is sorta like the BBC of Ireland...? They have a bunch of programs/channels. RTE Pulse is their dance station I think, it might be digital only (I'm in Canada FYI).

Anyway they really liked this Moombahton edit, I think I already posted it here though:

http://soundcloud.com/miyuru/lorcan...ix-miyuru-fernando-one-minute-moombahton-edit

They requested a mix and an interview with me, which is really cool! They last interviewed Steve Aoki the same show that they featured my remix, feels weird almost haha.

miyuru said:
Thought this was cool - one of my edits has been featured as "Remix of the Week" on RTE Pulse, a radio station in Ireland. From my understanding RTE is sorta like the BBC of Ireland...? They have a bunch of programs/channels. RTE Pulse is their dance station I think, it might be digital only (I'm in Canada FYI).

Anyway they really liked this Moombahton edit, I think I already posted it here though:

http://soundcloud.com/miyuru/lorcan...ix-miyuru-fernando-one-minute-moombahton-edit

They requested a mix and an interview with me, which is really cool! They last interviewed Steve Aoki the same show that they featured my remix, feels weird almost haha.
RTE is like ITV, actually it pretty much is ITV in all but name as its in Southern Ireland so not part of the UK. ITV is still one of the top channels with crap like X factor shown on it so still good :D

Also make a new mix!

joelseph

miyuru said:

Moombahton is hot right now, flip it and do a 160 juke swag mix.

miyuru

Johnlenham said:
RTE is like ITV, actually it pretty much is ITV in all but name as its in Southern Ireland so not part of the UK. ITV is still one of the top channels with crap like X factor shown on it so still good :D

Also make a new mix!

What's ITV?

I'll get on a new mix, I'm just soooooo lazy :lol

Ashhong

I know theres a lack of trance fans in here, but is anybody else going to Above and Beyond's TATW #350 show in LA on Friday? I'm so fucking pumped.

Shaneus

Ashhong said:
I know theres a lack of trance fans in here, but is anybody else going to Above and Beyond's TATW #350 show in LA on Friday? I'm so fucking pumped.
Despite my dislike of trance, I actually really like A&B. I'd never go out of my way to see them but if they were doing a festival I was already going to I'd check them out for sure.

joelseph

Even if you don't understand it, Jamie Smith is the biggest thing on the EDM blogs currently!

Mishka:

Serious Saturdays #54: What’s Ne(XX)t? Jamie XX, You Donut

jamiesmith.jpg

Aside from the hype following his membership of indie darlings, The XX, Jamie Smith (the brilliance behind the group’s production) has recently emerged as one of the most talked (blogged) about artists within the ever-changing electronic realm. As if playing a major role in a now Barclaycard Mercury Prize-awarded outfit (they were crowned in September 2010) wasn’t enough, he’s making serious waves in the eclectic community of the UK’s bass-heavy, electronic underbelly.

Really, it was a slew of remixes that brought Smith to my attention – in particular, his refix of his own act (The XX’s “Basic Space” – posted below) and a rework of everyone’s favorite scarlet starlet, Florence, and her rotating, musical mechanisms (Florence + the Machine’s “You’ve Got The Love” feat. The XX). Each remix brought a tropical, bass vibe to the tracks, emitting Jamie’s love for the UK Garage sound that has recently re-emerged from the scene, as a whole. Given this lean, he’s been somewhat heaped into the dubstep/future-garage category with artists like Untold, Mount Kimbie, Dark Sky, and Joy Orbison. As well as showing hints of Burial and Four Tet-esque production influence and structure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKe9um0gCWc

In many ways Smith is a rather mysterious character, his consistently unannounced output of remixes and self-produced work have all the tastemakers and critics getting flustered – myself included. From my understanding, he’s had a few tracks done in the past under the moniker of ‘Silentone’. This title is not only applicable to describing his attitude (seems quite shy, rarely speaks when he’s presented with his group), but it also hints to the vibe of his production – which I find hauntingly spatial, showing brilliant use of silence as well as melody.

You can get an idea of what I mean by checking out the addition below – Jamie cautiously speaks of his forthcoming track, “Far Nearer”, with XFM’s John Kennedy. Slated for a release on Christmas Eve off of the fast-growing UK label, Numbers, the track has a beautiful tropical vibe to it. Furthermore, Jamie admits in the discussion that the song is built around the usage of a steel panel. What???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdYnqvnawE

Recently, he’s been keeping me extremely entertained with his various mixes floating around the web – in particular, his appearances on Platform’s Boiler Room sessions (I can’t get enough of these, be sure to search through their extensive collection of sets). Hop over to The Fader to scope a three part feature of his Boiler Room mix from back in May. His most recent appearance (mix and video of the performance can be found here) is one of his finest, a blend of garage, grime, and his own signature sound – this one also features his remix of Gil Scott-Heron’s “NY Is Killing Me”, which I had covered earlier this week. This one is the first to be shared from We’re New Here off of XL Recordings, a release that finds Jamie entirely remixing a Gil Scott-Heron album.

Lastly, I’ve got one more mix for yinz. This one popped up around May, it’s a mix Jamie put together for French shop, Colette. Aptly titled Mix for Colette 10, the tracklist really shows off Smith’s vast array of influences and tastes. I’ve had this one on repeat for months now, his mixing ability is really spot on. Download it here.

So if I haven’t emphasized it enough, keep an eye on this youngster – his sound is something much more refreshing and forward-thinking than a lot of what’s gaining interest in the scene. His growth has already astonished me, I seriously can’t wait to hear what he has next on his agenda. While he once had the ability to shy away from the spotlight, his future work will undoubtedly force him to soak it up and shine.
- McG

----

Discobelle:

http://www.discobelle.net/2010/12/03/jamie-xx/

IMG_4400-530x397-452x338.jpg

Jamie XX recently played a set at the Glasgow label Numbers special Boiler Room show where he was the special guest seeing as his forthcoming debut solo release “Far Nearer’” will be released on Numbers. Grab the amazing set below and enjoy! (Via Platform)...

Alucrid

Banned
Steel panel? What? I think the writer means steelpan.

Also I can't wait for the actual release of Far nearer. The radio rip is getting on my nerves. I just hope the bass is a bit louder.

joelseph

My mix recommendation for the week:

Palms Out on Jacques Greene's upcoming Lucky Me release and URB mixtape:

jacques-greene.jpg

Our friends over at LuckyMe have been cookin’ up some great things lately, most recently with the release of Machinedrum’s brilliant EP “Many Faces” and Lunice’s much anticipated debut “Stacker Upper” on deck for an early 2011 release. Also coming up for the label is Canadian newcomer Jacques Greene’s debut EP: “The Look”. The House, Garage, and R&B influenced record is garnering some well deserved hype and already gaining early support from the likes of L-Vis 1990, Floating Points, Mark Flash, and more. In support of the album, Greene recently put together a superb mix for URB containing some fresh tracks off the EP, a few old school garage classics, and a track from Palms Out’s own Dubbel Dutch. I’ve seriously been blasting this on repeat nonstop for days.

Look out for his new EP “The Look”, out on Lucky Me December 14th

http://palmsout.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/URB-Presents-Jacques-Greene.mp3

1. Jacques Greene – The Look (Koreless remix)
2. Ango – Love Me
3. Jacques Greene – Tell Me
4. Mood II Swing – Move Me
5. Machinedrum – DDD
6. Jacques Greene – Good Morning
7. Nu-Birth – Anytime
8. 24 Hour Experience – All Nighter
9. Ramadanman & Midland – Your Words Matter
10. James Fox – New Jack Swing
11. Sasse & James Flavour – The Right Way (Tony Lionni Rremix)
12. Jacques Greene – (Baby I Don’t Know) What You Want
13. Dubbel Dutch – Throwback
14. Aril Brikha – Groove La Chord
15. xxxy – Ordinary Things
16. Colours – Hold On (SE22 Mix)
17. Jacques Greene – Another Girl
18. Rick Ross ft. Drake & Chrisette Michele – Aston Martin Music

joelseph

Got a strange one here, Becoming Real FACT mix 205. (not for the average joe)

factmix205-becoming-real-11.25.20101.jpg

Real name Toby Ridler, Becoming Real makes music that straddles the blackest corners of grime, juke and hip-hop, exploring Lacan’s theories about “reality” and the “real”; in Ridler’s terms, music that “isn’t haunting in itself … more that it was being haunted.” Ghosts permeate Becoming Real’s music, from ‘The Thing”s ghoulish shapes, twisted around banisters, to the quivering whispers in the background of ‘Like Me’, his new Trim-featuring single.

Becoming Real’s FACT mix features the two clearest musical influences on what he makes, Wiley and Zomby, plus his own remixes of Blonde Redhead, Forest Swords and Des’ree, a new untitled cut and a healthy batch of Stalker, oOoOO and Burial. His Spectre EP is out now, and he’s currently supporting Salem on their UK tour.

(In my own words I would say his sound is Zomby meets SALEM with a touch of grime, just look at the interesting tracklisting..)

The Microphones – The Sun
Stalker – My Swag
Burial – Night Bus
The Microphones w/ Crazy Titch – Instrumental/ Singalong (Becoming Real Edit)
Zomby – Mercury’s Rainbow
Becoming Real (feat. Trim) – Like Me
Becoming Real – Fast Motion
oOoOO – Mumbai
Wiley – Frostbite (Devils Mix)
Becoming Real – Untitled
Blonde Redhead – Here Sometimes (Becoming Real Remix)
Forest Swords – Rattling Cage (Becoming Real Remix)
Des’ree – Kissing You (Becoming Real Edit)
Stalker – Heaven’s Gate

http://soundcloud.com/factmag/fact-mix-205-becoming-real-nov-10/s-hwgp3

joelseph said:
(In my own words I would say his sound is Zomby meets SALEM with a touch of grime, just look at the interesting tracklisting..)
Defintely, I could have mistaken Becoming Real (feat. Trim) – Like Me for a remix of Zomby's Strange Fruit if I didn't know better :D (great track btw). Fast Motion does also sound good and so does Jen's clock.

hauton

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I meant to post this last week, but forgot.

Shinichi Osawa - SO2 Remixes

Shinichi Osawa released a compilation of remixes from his SO2 album. And holy shit is it amazing. Truly truly amazing.
Robotaki + Rhythm Droid

glorious

LazerDisk Party Sex - Lemonade is Still Popular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Jos676-80

Drivepilot - Invaders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02S8jsL3uI8

Darius - Constance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWkAhH2B1EM

Yella Finesse - Back to the Dancefloor
http://soundcloud.com/yella-finesse/back-to-the-dancefloor

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
okno said:
Shit yeah! Reboot is playing NYC next Friday with Luciano and someone else, but there's no way in hell I'm going, because it's at Pacha and it's a horrible venue.

On the topic of "best of 2010" mixes, I've already started to put something together. This year has been pretty great for music. I'm really happy with the shift away from minimal, but it still holds a dear place in my heart.

So, problem: Tonight, Magda, the absolute love of my life and favorite DJ, is spinning with Marc Houle. At the same time, Mister Saturday Night is spinning at a roller disco. Magda is $30, MSN is $5. I love Magda quite dearly, but roller discos don't really happen all that often. What do I do!?
(whitewhine.com)

What did you decide on? That past weekend if I was up for going out, I would have gone for Howells and Burridge myself :D Though that's a toughie, I think Mister Saturday Night has frequent parties in the city (so Magda may be the better bet since she doesn't come as often.), one of these days I need to hit one of them up. I actually have been getting some of my coworkers into disco and funky house, and they really enjoyed when we went to see Tensnake a few weeks ago so maybe they'll want to go out some more.

Chaplain

Steaming live tonight:

154681_1643023829456_1052646049_1782628_4951369_n.jpg

Above & Beyond celebrate 350th radio show at Los Angeles Palladium in December

Currently enjoying a weekly listenership of over 30 million, Above & Beyond's 'Trance Around The World' (TATW) radio show will reach its landmark 350th episode with a special party and live broadcast from the Los Angeles Palladium on Friday December 10th, 2010.

Above & Beyond will celebrate by playing an extended DJ set to be broadcast live via the internet and across 237 FM radio stations worldwide, in what will be the biggest party in TATW history.

For this flagship event Above & Beyond will be inviting some of their favourite TATW artists to join them and those guest DJ sets will also be broadcast live.

Coinciding with 10 years of pioneering releases on their Anjunabeats imprint, Above & Beyond's performance at the 4,000-capacity L.A. venue also represents their biggest solo US show to date.

Boom Jinx - 9pm-10pm PST
(12 - 1am EST, 5am - 6am GMT, 6am - 7am CET)

Jaytech - 10pm-11pm PST
(1am - 2am EST, 6am - 7am GMT, 7am - 8am CET)

Cosmic Gate - 11pm-12:30am PST
(2am - 3.30am EST, 7am - 8.30am GMT, 8am - 9.30am CET)

Above & Beyond - 12:30am-3am PST
(3.30am - 6am EST, 8.30am - 11am GMT, 9.30am - 12pm CET)

Super8 & Tab - 3am-4am PST
(6am - 7am EST, 11am - 12pm GMT, 12pm - 1pm CET)

Winamp:

96k: http://www.di.fm/mp3/trance.pls
AAC+: http://www.di.fm/aacplus/trance.pls

Windows Media Player:

32k: http://www.di.fm/wma/trance.asx

btkadams

So, I heard this track (don't know why it was the first time) a couple weeks ago and it really made me feel nostalgic. It's like some dubstep/electro/house mash-up with happy hardcore and hard trance. I know, that sounds awful haha but when i first started listening to electronic music it was when i was doing drugs and wanted really trippy stuff like that. It's funny going back and listening to any of the songs because they're soooo not my tastes lol but i feel like this song has influences from them and totally uses it to its advantage.

Skrillex - Slat Slat Slat

so if anyone ever went through a stage like that, you should check out that song!

okno

djtiesto said:
What did you decide on? That past weekend if I was up for going out, I would have gone for Howells and Burridge myself :D Though that's a toughie, I think Mister Saturday Night has frequent parties in the city (so Magda may be the better bet since she doesn't come as often.), one of these days I need to hit one of them up. I actually have been getting some of my coworkers into disco and funky house, and they really enjoyed when we went to see Tensnake a few weeks ago so maybe they'll want to go out some more.
I actually ended up missing both parties :-/ all of my friends bailed on me, and then I fell asleep and woke up after the banks closed (I lost my debit card), so I didn't have enough money for either party. Pretty lame... I hear Magda was nuts :( How was Tensnake?! I completely forgot he was coming, which also reminds me I missed Lindstrom, damn it. Was going to go to Lee/Burrige, but i had to work. Lots of good stuff coming up, though! Next week, Bunker is doing a Clone Records and Sandwell District showcase, I'm pretty damn stoked. Funktion, Silent Servant, and A Made Up Sound/2562 all in one night? Fuck yeah.

Shaneus

Well, I think I've found my favourite track of this year:
Robyn - Indestructible (A-Track Remix)

There's nothing I don't like about it... great production, Robyn's dreamy vocals and a solid disco vibe while still being clubby and edgy. I don't know whether it'll be massive purely because it's not the flavour of the month but I'm sure it will become an underground(ish) classic over the coming months. I'm going to give it a massive push amongst everyone I know this (Australian) Summer because it's pretty much the perfect dance track.

joelseph

One more day before Lucky Me drops Jacques Greenes The Look EP.

---

NGUZUNGUZU - Mirage (Jim-E Stack Remix)

---

Sweet Team - Meet You In The Nebula Ft Sly Dog

---

LazyDisco - On (an Aphex Twin original)

---

KOTJ Radio | Episode 7: Jubilee

01. R1 Ryders – Pop Shit Off
02. C.R.S.T. – Dance (Mosca Remix)
03. Magnum – Juracan (Randomer Remix)
04. Octa Push – Monkey Island
05. Brenmar – You Make Me Say (Ikonika & Optimum Remix)
06. LV & Okmalumkoolkat – Boomslang
07. Brenmar – Back Beating
08. Seiji – Weedkiller
09. Roska & Untold – Myth
10. Breach – Fatherless (Doc Daneeka MRR SNRZZ Remix)
11. Kingdom – Remember feat. Tiombe Lockhart
12. Contakt – The Otherness
13. Untold – Stereo Freeze
14. Kutz – Hypno

---

FACT Stream - DJ Rashad's Just a Taste EP

---

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shaneus said:

There's nothing I don't like about it... great production, Robyn's dreamy vocals and a solid disco vibe while still being clubby and edgy. I don't know whether it'll be massive purely because it's not the flavour of the month but I'm sure it will become an underground(ish) classic over the coming months. I'm going to give it a massive push amongst everyone I know this (Australian) Summer because it's pretty much the perfect dance track.

It's weird, nobody I talk to around here seems to have any idea who Robyn is... even though stuff like "Show Me Love" (from the late 90's), "You Can't Handle Me", and that annoying "I'm in the corner watching you kiss her" song have gotten a bunch of radio and club play out here. I think I'm going crazy sometimes.

Ashhong said:
Fuck yea. Not sure why you guys dislike trance so much...but this is going to be amazing. I'll be there live

Did you have fun? Boom Jinx and Jaytech are pretty awesome, the rest... not my cup of tea anymore.

subrock

got a 57SL back in August. VERY nice mixer. you won't be disappointed. you should look into the bridge too. It makes the possibilities with serato and ableton endless.

subrock

Shaneus said:

hot. A-trak is king.

joelseph

subrock said:
got a 57SL back in August. VERY nice mixer. you won't be disappointed. you should look into the bridge too. It makes the possibilities with serato and ableton endless.

Bridge is free with legit copy of Ableton yes? What decks are you using in your setup? I would be using cdj800. Actually, could you detail out your setup or send me a PM? Thank you kind sir!

subrock

joelseph said:
Bridge is free with legit copy of Ableton yes? What decks are you using in your setup? I would be using cdj800. Actually, could you detail out your setup or send me a PM? Thank you kind sir!
may as well just post it here because others might be interested.

- TTM57SL
- 2x technics 1200 mk2
- akai- LPD-8 (for hot cues and FX, but could also work nicely for samples if you dont mind using the keyboard for cueing)

I have a novation launchpad for the bridge but I havent started playing out with that yet. and yes, bridge is free if you own a legit, updated copy of ableton. (and its hot hot sex to use)

edit: should also mention that I'm relatively new to SSL and the 57 so I dont even come close to using it to its potential. if you can get comfortable with the FX section and the little joystick controls in the middle of the mixer the thing is a beast. lots and lots of options.

Shaneus

subrock said:
hot. A-trak is king.
Pretty much. I still find it hard to believe that he's the same guy I'd seen a short while back doing some bullshit insane stuff in the DMC championships... and now he's producing shit like that. Blows my mind.

subrock

I saw him at sasquatch last year, and out of all the DJs there he was the only one that didnt seem to go into his own navel in terms of selections. played lots of song with just enough lyrics, just enough bangers, just enough throwback tunes. not a boring moment, everything just built perfectly, he was godly.

joelseph

I have been on a serious juke and footwork kick as of late. Really enjoying this mix:

IT'S AFTER THE END OF THE WORLD Mix series #10: Leatherface - Mad and Macabre

...French horror juke. I had a dream about a serial killer who was the dopest footworker once, this was the soundtrack.

01 – Leatherface – Drug Dealer – Unreleased
02 – Leatherface – Chase – Unreleased
03 – Leatherface – Notre Dame – Booty Call Rec
04 – Snap – The Power (Leatherface Remix) – Snap Rec
05 – Leatherface – I Wish – Unreleased
06 – Leatherface – I Got Yo Name – Unreleased
07 – Alkpote – Bande de Putain de Sale Putes (Leatherface Remix) – Booty Call x Snap Rec
08 – Leatherface – C and C – Unreleased
09 – Leatherface – Creatura – Unreleased
10 – The Escapists – The Storm Theme (Leatherface Remix) – Leonizer Rec
11 – Regulators – Casse Toi la Nuque (Leahterface Remix) – Regulate Rec
12 – Leatherface – The Real Terror – Unreleased
13 – Leatherface – Never Sleep – Unreleased
14 – Leatherface – Hexachords – Unreleased
15 – Leatherface – Recognize – Unreleased
16 – Leatherface – The Stars – Unreleased

Shaneus

I'll actually be putting one out sometime this week. I'm posting it wherever possible so it's more difficult to put it off :lol
(had a dry run last night, went really well)

joelseph

Got a big one...

Tom Ford, aka Peverelist "Bringing Machines to Life"

"a dub-heavy mix for RA/Little White Earbuds guru Andrew Ryce’s new blog, Futureproofing." (Always Everything)

http://ftrprf.blogspot.com/2010/12/futureproofing-with-peverelist.html

Peverelist: Futureproofing December 2010

1. Kähn 'Like We Used To' (Dub)
2. A Made Up Sound 'Rear Window' (Delsin)
3. Kowton 'She Don't Jack' (Idle Hands)
4. T++ 'Cropped' (Honest Jons)
5. Peverelist 'Fundamentals' (Dub)
6. Shake 'Drummer Downstairs' (Fit Sound)
7. Peverelist 'Dance til the Police Come' (Dub)
8. Peverelist 'Livity' (Dub)
9. Emptyset 'Red Sun' (Peverelist mix) (Dub)
10. Bass Clef 'Rollercoasters of the Heart' (Dub)
11. Andy Mac 'Every Time' (Dub)
12. Kähn 'Helter Skelter' (Dub)
13. Ekoplekz 'Stalag Zero' (Punch Drunk)

Top Bottom