• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Yasae said:
What is their vibe, anyway? Side-chain compression?
:lol
Kind of... but also that deep, low resonance you hear on the kick along with occasional heavily-compressed guitars. I mean, it could've easily been MSTRKRFT or SebastiAn but I doubt it. Shazam was being a bitch that day, too :/

Dartastic

One thing I want to do this year is get way better at making music. I made this today. I mess up frequently, as I made the samples and just triggered them/effects on the fly. Part of my wanting to get better is to not go in and waste time fixing this stuff, because I know it's just temporary. Anyway. Enjoy? http://soundcloud.com/dartastic/abunai-that-ish Feedback would be cool. :p

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
joelseph said:
I champion postdub not dubstep! I like the UK Funky bass music. Dubstep is okay in moderation but it is saturated with cheesy crap.

James Blake - Four Miles

I like the name "future garage" instead of postdub myself...

Miroku said:
Thanks! I'll have to put up a tracklist.

Edit: Tracklisting:

Sandwell District - Feed Forward 7" A side
Makaton - Paradise Lost
Sandwell District - Immolare First, Main
Delta Funktionen - Theatre
Jerome Sydenham - Big Yam
Roman Lindau - Keppra
Mark Broom & James Ruskin - The Future That Was
Sandwell District - Variance III (Marcel Dettmann Edit)
Shed - Boom Room
WAX - 20002 A side
Delta Funktionen - One's Space
SCB - 28_5
Delta Funktionen - Conflict Data
Jerome Sydenham - Push To Enter
Jon Hopkins - Wire (Nathan Fake Remix)
Wild Beasts - Two Dancers II (Jon Hopkins Remix)
Legowelt - Colorado Snow Music
Petar Dundov - Distant Shores
Frozen Border - Frozen Border06 A side
Grovskopa - Skin (Saga Remix)
Sandwell District - Feed Forward 7" B side
Scuba - Before (After)

Was listening to this a bit earlier... I really like the atmospheric beginning, and the stuff that comes on 1 hour in. Not a fan of that whole Berghain style techno in the middle (the Shed, Marcel Dettman, Ben Klock type stuff). Nice mixing though.

Now I have to go through okno's 2 mixes as well.

Fusebox

Banned
Shaneus said:
Did the NYD music festival thing yesterday with Summadayze in Melbourne. A brief rundown of who I saw:
Boys Noize: Not bad, set was a little inconsistent but had a few bangers in there.
Justice: Hooooly fuck, very impressive set. Seemed to play mostly tracks of theirs (couldn't name them but definitely had that "Justice" vibe) but came out with a few surprises... namely Morning Lemon by Chems and the Lu Cont remix of Silver Screen Shower Scene (in it's entirety). Fucking blew my mind when I heard them play the latter... made my day :D
Claude Von Stroke: Very unimpressive. Set was all over the shop, going from DnB to electro and everywhere inbetween. Only saw him for about 15 mins but that was enough.
Miguel Migs: Incredible. Played the perfect music for a festival smack-bang in the middle of the Summer. The smoothest REAL house I'd heard for ages... could imagine it playing in Paradise Garage in the mid-80s. Surprise of the day.
N.E.R.D.: What the fuck were they doing there? Fuck the organisers for getting bands like that to dance music festivals :/

What about Chromeeeooo-oh-ohh?!?!

So...I occassionaly try to enter this thread and figure out what's going on. But it looks like a lot is going on. The point is, I am daunted; it seems too much for me to go through. Is there anybody who has posted a summary? Maybe of some new groups to listen to? I don't like "weird" music, that much. But I am listening to Eclier - Boxon say hello and I kind of like it. However, I'd still interested a bit of a throwdown: what's the best, or (since it's subjective), the most-well liked and agreed upon good music from this thread. Thanks. I'll go sift through it a bit now. :D

joelseph

whiterabbit said:
So...I occassionaly try to enter this thread and figure out what's going on. But it looks like a lot is going on. The point is, I am daunted; it seems too much for me to go through. Is there anybody who has posted a summary? Maybe of some new groups to listen to? I don't like "weird" music, that much. But I am listening to Eclier - Boxon say hello and I kind of like it. However, I'd still interested a bit of a throwdown: what's the best, or (since it's subjective), the most-well liked and agreed upon good music from this thread. Thanks. I'll go sift through it a bit now. :D

There is no right answer. Going off your example is kind of tough too because it is really two different scenes in one. What do you like about the song you posted? Do you like the sound or the structure? For you I suggest Siriusmo.

joelseph said:
DJ Crabbe (of Jesse and Crabbe) just released a 3Ball/Guarachero mix on Demolition Mixtapes. FIRE

DT8DemolitionTape8-DJCrabbe-CodexCrabbe2010green.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/mad_decent_...n_Tape_8_-_DJ_Crabbe_-_Codex_Crabbe_2010_.mp3

I actually really enjoyed this.

I suppose what I have to do is just dig through it when I feel like and try something new.

Shaneus

Fusebox said:
What about Chromeeeooo-oh-ohh?!?!
Wasn't around for them, had to get back to Geelong because a mate was playing @ 11 :/ Apparently the Guetta lightshow was kickarse though. Check YT for it.

okno

Shaneus said:
Wasn't around for them, had to get back to Geelong because a mate was playing @ 11 :/ Apparently the Guetta lightshow was kickarse though. Check YT for it.
The lightshow is the only thing Guetta has going for him :p

joelseph

Brenmar – 12th Day The End Mixtape - <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 My mix of the week

Glasgow label Lucky Me presents their first mixtape of 2011, fucking Brenmar!

“And to close our 12 Days of Christmas tape season we proudly present a golden new dance champion from the United States, Brenmar. With a vibrant selection from this DJ / Producer its an essential mission statement to his year ahead. Is it possible for modern house to be ‘deep’ and shamelessly fun at the same time? If so, somebody give this guy the crown for effortlessly putting the best pomp of RnB midi brass together with bassline, funky and even the murky depth UK 4AM rollers. It’s a simultaneous shot of uppers & downers that few could pull off with so much cohesion and style. #SALUTE-BRENMAR”

* 1. Brenmar – Intro
* 2. 112 – Let This Go (Brenmar Edit)
* 3. Brenmar – Tasting
* 4. Samo Sound Boy – Burning and Stealing
* 5. The Living Islands – Empires (Sam Tiba Remix)
* 6. Young Joc – What She Like feat. Yo Gotti
* 7. Gutta The Producer – Your Body
* 8. Rizzla – Bandmind HA
* 9. Pure – Body Talk
* 10. Pocz & Pacheko – Tuki Love
* 11. Just Dre – All I Want Is You (Club Mix)
* 12. DeeJay Runnah – Alley Hoop Dat Feat Dj Tone Vocals
* 13. Nguzunguzu – Mirage (Brenmar Remix)

joelseph

Jamie XX mix on Benji B

http://hotfile.com/dl/94607789/2b62ada/Benji_B_live_on_BBC_Radio_1_2011-01-05_with_Jamie_XX.mp3.html

His interview and mix start around the 1:20 mark. It is all 100bpm stuff like his Rolling in the Deep remix. BIG.

Timmy Thomas — Why Can’t We Live Together
Zomby — Tarantula
Jamie Woon — Night Air – Becoming Real Remix
Koreless — M.T.I.
James Blake — I Mind
Cassie — Must Be Love – Jacques Greene’s Marriage Proposal Mix
Mount Kimbie — Before I Move Off
Rui Da Silva — Touch Me – Chopped and Screwed
DJ Choko — Stealth DrumsJamie xx — Far Nearer – The Knife Bootleg
Beach House — 10 Mile Stereo

Crazy Cousinz — Inflation – Chopped and Screwed
Tanya Stephens — Can’t Touch Me No More
Dj A B — Darbuka
Harmonic 313 — Problem 7
Lumidee — Never Leave You
Adele — Rolling In The Deep – Jamie XX Shuffle

Gil Scott Heron and Jamie XX — One Take

This fucking mix is mental. Lumidee into Rolling in the Deep is just too good. How is the fuck does he come up with this shit?

joelseph

OH SHIT. Planet Mu will be at Beauty Bar tomorrow night with Spinn and Rashad and Chrissy Murderbot! Love me Footwork shows!

Miroku

djtiesto said:
Was listening to this a bit earlier... I really like the atmospheric beginning, and the stuff that comes on 1 hour in. Not a fan of that whole Berghain style techno in the middle (the Shed, Marcel Dettman, Ben Klock type stuff). Nice mixing though.

That's cool, thanks for checking it out, and thanks for the feedback!

okno

So, dropped another paycheck into my Beatport account. Bought an assload of disco-tinged stuff. I´ve reached a stage where all I want to do anymore is just sit down and mix, it´s getting kind of ridiculous. Right now I´m putting together a little disco/house mix for an upcoming road trip this weekend. Pretty excited about it, disco is quickly becoming my new favorite thing to mix.

joelseph

Making mixes for roadtrips is the best but then when its time to concentrate on the entire thing someone in the car ends up talking! Hard to convince everyone to sit and listen to every second of the mix when that is all we want to do!

okno

Haha, I know what you mean. They're all a bunch of gay theater kids, though, so I think they'll get into it. In the end, it's just background music.

joelseph

joelseph said:
Jamie XX mix on Benji B

http://hotfile.com/dl/94607789/2b62ada/Benji_B_live_on_BBC_Radio_1_2011-01-05_with_Jamie_XX.mp3.html

His interview and mix start around the 1:20 mark. It is all 100bpm stuff like his Rolling in the Deep remix. BIG.

Zomby — Tarantula
Koreless — M.T.I.
James Blake — I Mind

Dj A B — Darbuka
Harmonic 313 — Problem 7

This fucking mix is mental. Lumidee into Rolling in the Deep is just too good. How is the fuck does he come up with this shit?

fuck!

Fusebox

Banned
Aaah I didn't know you'd seen em live before! I haven't seen them live yet, I'm freakin jealous.

I didnt know he was A-Traks brother either, you're schoolin me!

Whoa this is long but informative.

Question: what has been discussed so far without me having to go through all 55 pages with a fine tooth comb?

Also do I just recommend stuff I've listened to currently or past stuff too?

Shaneus

Question 2: Pretty much any electronic music, "groundbreaking" or otherwise.

Question 1: Discussions on sets, mixtapes, new music, old music, festivals, dubstep, dubstep subgenres, James Blake, Jamie XX.

Sorry if any of these have been posted before but here are some of my favorites I think are worth a listen. I put up youtubes cause I can't find my files at the moment.

BT & Paul van Dyk - Namistai
Serendipity - Benya ft. Penny Nixon - Armin Van Buuren
Grand National - Talk Amongst Yourselves [Sasha Involver Edit]
BT - Suddenly
BT - 1.618 (Or anything of This Binary Universe)
Herbie Hancock - Metal Beat (recommended for those in electro-funk)
Sarah McLachlan - Stupid (Hyper remix)
Mike Koglin - Dj Sasha Feat. (John Digweed) Enjoy The Silence
Orbital - Meltdown
Orbital - Halcyon On and On
Afro Celt Sound System - Riding the Waves

Hopefully someone will like one of those.

Alucrid

Banned
joelseph said:
Jamie XX mix on Benji B

Zomby — Tarantula
Koreless — M.T.I.
James Blake — I Mind

Dj A B — Darbuka
Harmonic 313 — Problem 7

For whatever reason I thought that mean 1 minute 20 seconds and was like, "what?" Incredible mix though. I'm loving Rolling in the Deep more and more every time i hear it.

Shaneus

Devolution said:
Sorry if any of these have been posted before but here are some of my favorites I think are worth a listen. I put up youtubes cause I can't find my files at the moment.

Are they all new tracks (with the exception of Orbital, obv.)? I haven't seen Mike Koglin's name mentioned *anywhere* since he did that amazing remix of Lustral's Everytime.

PS. Stick with YT videos when linking tracks. Even if tracks are legitimately free, pretty sure it's sketchy ground to link them to here (unless you're the artist).

Otherwise, be sure to stick around! The more people around here (and the smaller the ratio gets of that damn dubstep talk :D) the better :)

Nyx

Almost done creating the tracklist for my new mix, which is inspired by NYE when me and a friend were mixing B2B at my place. (the original recording sucks, we got drunk too soon :D )

Hopefully I can finish the mix this weekend, and ofcourse I'll share it with you guys.

On another note, Luna City Express rules.

joelseph

Alucrid said:
For whatever reason I thought that mean 1 minute 20 seconds and was like, "what?" Incredible mix though. I'm loving Rolling in the Deep more and more every time i hear it.

I split the file last night before bed to wake up and find the split all over the web. Oh well!

Just Jamie - http://ge.tt/#4Gxtflx

Rolling in the Deep has taken over my life and steal pads are the coolest instrument ever.

I like it from Beach house on but that Becoming Real remix is fire! That kid is gonna blow up big. Plus I caught earlier in the show that Zomby is dropping a full length this year. Doesn't look like 2011 will be slowing down any.

joelseph

okno said:
I would be all over that if a) I were still in Chicago and b) it wasn't at Beauty Bar. Poor Sonotheque...

I have no love for Sonotheque after they kicked my friends out of a Fools Gold Tour show because they weren't on the guestlist. Fuck that!

okno

joelseph said:
I have no love for Sonotheque after they kicked my friends out of a Fools Gold Tour show because they weren't on the guestlist. Fuck that!

That's fucked. Sonotheque was never anything amazing, but it was still an important part of the scene. Beauty Bar is just so tacky.

Shaneus said:
Are they all new tracks (with the exception of Orbital, obv.)? I haven't seen Mike Koglin's name mentioned *anywhere* since he did that amazing remix of Lustral's Everytime.

PS. Stick with YT videos when linking tracks. Even if tracks are legitimately free, pretty sure it's sketchy ground to link them to here (unless you're the artist).

Otherwise, be sure to stick around! The more people around here (and the smaller the ratio gets of that damn dubstep talk :D) the better :)

Glad to know the YT vids are fine, I'm just used to sharing threads.

Most of them are older. The most current one is the BT - Suddenly track. A lot of the time I get introduced to new artists/remixes from Armin's State of Trance or Sasha's mixes/compilations.

I haven't delved more into electronic music in a while though. I'm hoping this thread will help me rectify that.

subrock

Devolution said:

BT - Suddenly
Orbital - Meltdown

whoa, this is basically my teenage years right here in this post. nice. (well sorta. the artists, but I was more into their earlier work.)

subrock

been listening to lost of phonique and house music in general lately so this mix I'm going to put out in a few days is a pretty big change of style for me. good winter shit though. :D

Shaneus

subrock said:
been listening to lost of phonique and house music in general lately so this mix I'm going to put out in a few days is a pretty big change of style for me. good winter shit though. :D
I was having a chat to my DJ mate last weekend, and we're predicting that 2011 will be the year that we return to good, old, classic house music (like back in the mid-late 80s). Probably more hoping than predicting, but I've been right the last couple of years so finger's crossed!

Perhaps Full Intention will make it big again?
Scape feat. D'Empress - Be My Friend (Michael Gray remix)
Deepest Blue - Shooting Star

Both house classics, some of my favourite tracks.

djtiesto

Miroku said:
That's cool, thanks for checking it out, and thanks for the feedback!

That Peter Dundov song is pretty killer, heard it on a recent Sasha set and been listening a lot to it lately.

djtiesto

Shaneus said:
I was having a chat to my DJ mate last weekend, and we're predicting that 2011 will be the year that we return to good, old, classic house music (like back in the mid-late 80s). Probably more hoping than predicting, but I've been right the last couple of years so finger's crossed!

Perhaps Full Intention will make it big again?
Scape feat. D'Empress - Be My Friend (Michael Gray remix)
Deepest Blue - Shooting Star

Both house classics, some of my favourite tracks.

I thought that was 2009-2010? :D

Tony Lionni - Found A Place, Tensnake - Coma Cat, Motor City Drum Ensemble's stuff - all have retro/Chicago flavors to them and were really big the past few years. I predict a shift from the slower, druggy nu-disco sounds to more full on 125+ BPM disco house (like the good ol' days of 1999). Already I've been hearing a bit more filtered funk than usual.

Shaneus

djtiesto said:

Tony Lionni - Found A Place, Tensnake - Coma Cat, Motor City Drum Ensemble's stuff - all have retro/Chicago flavors to them and were really big the past few years. I predict a shift from the slower, druggy nu-disco sounds to more full on 125+ BPM disco house (like the good ol' days of 1999). Already I've been hearing a bit more filtered funk than usual.
Not big here... Australia tends to get the more easily-produced stuff which has been, in the last few years, fluoro-electro (that bedroom producers can easily push out). It's a lot harder for people to create a super-clean track with nice vocals and insane production values so it's rarely done here.

That, and people's tastes down here are undoubtedly less refined than wherever you're from ;)

But yeah, I completely agree with your sentiments. Miguel Migs completely rocked it at a festival here on NYD and he was playing exactly what we're talking about. I've even been going through some of Frankie Knuckles' catalog over the last week and finding some timeless shit that I could drop into a mix without sounding out of place in the slightest.

Davidion

Ramadanman drops some fucking bombs at Outlook fest.

http://uploaded.to/file/ewgze1

Burial - Night Bus
Funkineven - Heart Pound
James Blake - Four Miles
Linkwood - What's Up With The Underground
Rodd Lee - Let Me See What You Working With (Rama re-edit)
DVA - Step 2 Funk
dBridge - ZX81 (Ramadanman refix)
Joy Orbison - Ladywell
Ramadanman - Grab Somebody
Goapele - Milk & Honey (Joy Orbison remix)
T-Williams - Hard Cash
DJ Rampage - Deep Inside (Rama re-edit)
Rodd Lee - Y'all Don't Want None
Joy Orbison - Gr Etiquette
Ramadanman - Fall Short
Natalie Storm - Play Di Ting (Heatwave remix)
Pearson Sound - Stifle
Ramadanman - Work Them
Loefah - Goat Stare
Wiley - 123 Go
SX vs Rama - Woo Glut
Lil Wayne - A Milli (Harmonimix)
Wiley - Ice Rink
Pearson Sound - Blue Eyes

Devolution said:

BT - Suddenly
Orbital - Meltdown

holy turn-of-the-century batman. somebody be likin' dem breakbeats circa 2003.

as of late i have been completely unable to stop listening to:

michael cassette - ghost in the machine
michael cassette - shadow's movement
michael cassette - pangaea

such an amazing, amazing album. sounds like it came right out of my childhood.

Fusebox

Banned
Shaneus said:
I was having a chat to my DJ mate last weekend, and we're predicting that 2011 will be the year that we return to good, old, classic house music (like back in the mid-late 80s).

That's what Sydney did about 2 years ago, so your prediction that it will hit Melbourne in 2011 is probably spot-on. :D

Shaneus

Rabbitwork said:
holy turn-of-the-century batman. somebody be likin' dem breakbeats circa 2003.
Holy shit, I used to be into breaks around then... Meat Katie was fucking amazing until I saw him a year or two and he played everything BUT new-school breaks. Bastard :lol

okno

djtiesto said:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but with the release of such INSANE hits as Bakey Ustl's "A Tender Places" and Axel Boman's "Purple Drank," I longingly hope for more of that sound, and, in a way, dread the inevitable move away from the opiate-like drug sound to the more up tempo psychedelic variety. One thing it's going to lead to is the resurgence of the "space" sound and I kind of am really glad that's relegated to almost entirely just the Scandinavian disco/house scene.

I kind of like where we are right now. Every genre of dance music right now has a very, very distinct sound and voice, while still taking Influences from everything else that's going on. It's become very homogenized, and I'm worried that everything is going to splinter off again soon.

Top Bottom