• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

subrock

this is a chill set, good for driving, commuting, dinner parties. just trying out a new sound. hope you dig it.

http://soundcloud.com/touch-bass/house-music
direct DL: http://soundcloud.com/touch-bass/house-music/download

Playmode - Citylights
Tom Middleton - Juscan
SAVE AS - White Clouds
Trentmoller - allright
Trentmoller - Showtime
Makam - Love Life
Trentmoller - Spread the Music
Colette - On a High (Sonny Fodera remix)
Makam - Sorry Disco
Sonny Fodera - Soul Good
Eli Escobar - Love thing (John Selway's Endless remix)
Jesse Rose - You Know it
James Johnston - Sold Out of Your Heart
Gavin Froome - Malibu
Kai Hillmann - Dont Do That
Groove Armada - History (Still Going remix)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shaneus said:
Not big here... Australia tends to get the more easily-produced stuff which has been, in the last few years, fluoro-electro (that bedroom producers can easily push out). It's a lot harder for people to create a super-clean track with nice vocals and insane production values so it's rarely done here.

That, and people's tastes down here are undoubtedly less refined than wherever you're from ;)

:lol :lol :lol

Dude, I'm from LONG ISLAND, second only to Jersey in terms of Guidos per capita. The Island's biggest contribution to dance music was this stupid-ass song.

Yeah, Oz churns out tons of trashy electrohouse (I'll admit to liking the occasional Dirty South and Cost/Doray stuff)... but back in the day you guys had some fantastic prog and breaks coming out of your country - Luke Chable, Infusion, Phil K, and more recently Jaytech.

Rabbitwork said:
holy turn-of-the-century batman. somebody be likin' dem breakbeats circa 2003.

as of late i have been completely unable to stop listening to:

michael cassette - ghost in the machine
michael cassette - shadow's movement
michael cassette - pangaea

such an amazing, amazing album. sounds like it came right out of my childhood.

Shadow's Movement was probably my #1 song of 2008... Michael Cassette/Squash 84/Komytea is quite the talented duo though I have yet to hear their album. If you haven't, I'd recommend looking into the rest of the Anjunadeep catalogue for a similar sound.

okno said:
I kind of like where we are right now. Every genre of dance music right now has a very, very distinct sound and voice, while still taking Influences from everything else that's going on. It's become very homogenized, and I'm worried that everything is going to splinter off again soon.

Yeah, I'll admit when progressive house fell out of favor sometime mid 2005, I was pretty distraught and quite reactionary with dance music. Everything seemingly contracted a bit into more electro and techy sounds, away from melodies/atmospherics/funk of years past (don't know if it was because I was fresh into the genre then but 1998-2003 or so were my favorite periods ever of EDM). Also the digital revolution in the genre meant more and more copycats and/or throwaway productions - electro house, tech house and especially trance really hurt from this. Thankfully, things seem to have stabilized a bit and the cream of the crop still rises to the top. I can definitely say that I've loved lot of the recently emergent scenes, specifically the deep/tech/prog house blend (not sure how else to describe it, artists like Jimpster, Vincenzo, Forteba) nu-disco and postdub.

Shaneus

djtiesto said:
:lol :lol :lol

Dude, I'm from LONG ISLAND, second only to Jersey in terms of Guidos per capita. The Island's biggest contribution to dance music was this stupid-ass song.

Yeah, Oz churns out tons of trashy electrohouse (I'll admit to liking the occasional Dirty South and Cost/Doray stuff)... but back in the day you guys had some fantastic prog and breaks coming out of your country - Luke Chable, Infusion, Phil K, and more recently Jaytech.
Fun anecdote: One of my really good friends is mates/used to work with Phil K. Once when he was watching a Phil K set at a festival, Phil K ran from the stage mid-set to give him a hug. But Infusion have gone more commercial (look at the difference between their first album to their second, and their second to third) and I haven't heard much from Luke Chable for ages. But Jaytech has been around for years... I was into his stuff before he was cool :D
The ease with which studio-quality productions can come out of a bedroom has been both a blessing and a curse, with the most popular genres (electro-house currently) becoming more popular with niche genres (true disco-esque house) becoming harder to find. Eventually, the most popular drowns out the least and you find blogs/sites (Hype Machine etc.) that pretty much only cater to that type of music (with the odd gem inbetween). And that explains why I haven't come across any good house recently! That, and there are no good niche clubs where I am, only venues that cater to the general (read: MoS) public.
Yeah, I'll admit when progressive house fell out of favor sometime mid 2005, I was pretty distraught and quite reactionary with dance music. Everything seemingly contracted a bit into more electro and techy sounds, away from melodies/atmospherics/funk of years past (don't know if it was because I was fresh into the genre then but 1998-2003 or so were my favorite periods ever of EDM). Also the digital revolution in the genre meant more and more copycats and/or throwaway productions - electro house, tech house and especially trance really hurt from this. Thankfully, things seem to have stabilized a bit and the cream of the crop still rises to the top. I can definitely say that I've loved lot of the recently emergent scenes, specifically the deep/tech/prog house blend (not sure how else to describe it, artists like Jimpster, Vincenzo, Forteba) nu-disco and postdub.
I think that's pretty much what I just wrote in my first reply in this post. My head's a mess today :lol
I agree with you about that "era", too.. The early-mid 90s I was too young for clubs when some amazing shit was out (Jam and Spoon, Quench, Drax, Perpetual Motion, JX, amongst others) but I was lucky enough to catch the tail end of that when I turned 18 in '98. I still kick myself that I wasn't born a few years earlier, though... I missed out on some fucking amazing music that (IMO) has yet to be topped. That might just be nostalgia talking, though.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
okno said:
I saw Silent Servant and Function spin for six hours a few weeks ago, it was unREAL how fantastic they sound live. Have you heard the SD album? Its pretty great, but I don't really like how it sound like a huge mashup of all the singles released recently.

I dig the album pretty hard, but I'm not a particularly attentive follower of the label, so it may have sounded fresher to my ears than yours.

okno

HI! I made a new mix, and, if I may toot my own horn for a second, its the best thing I've done yet (released and unreleased). I'm really proud of it, the transitions are good, and the vibe is good throughout. Something I've had a problem with is keeping a consistent tone throughout a set, so I gave myself time to stretch out a bit and think ahead a bit. I would always get excited about putting in a particular song, so I would just force it in which breaks up the flow heavily. It's 93 minutes long and spans house, disco and techno (the first half is house/disco, the second half is techno with a dash of disco).

Anyway, I hope you guys like it!
http://soundcloud.com/eirikurh/klika-ur
Brandt, Brauer & Frick - Caffeine
Jay Shepheard - Haselnuss
Mugwump - T-Coy Jelly Drops
Steve Summer - Shake the House
Donna Regina - Playing Free (Chica Paula + Tobias.' Let's Play It Again Remix)
Axel Boman - Purple Drank
Bakey Ustl - A Tender Places
Neville Watson - Let Me Go
Falty DL - All In the Place
Storm Queen - Look Right Through (Dub Mix)
Russ Yallop - I Can't Wait (Rob Mello's No Ears Mix)
Brandt, Brauer & Frick - Bop
As We Said - A Long Time Ago
DJ Sprinkles - Grand Central Pt. 1 (Motor City Drum Ensemble Dub Mix)
Mogi - Drops
Flug - Wings to Fly
Mario Zar - Green Hornet
Mario Zar - Scheinwerfer
Mogi - Like A Bird
Space - Magic Fly (2009 Remastered Version)
Claudio PRC - Diving Point
Cio D'or - Brokat
Cio D'or - Wildseide (Claudio PRC Remix)
Marcel Fengler - Rapture
Cio D'or - Pailletten (Sleeparchive Remix)
Nicolas Jaar - Wouh

The name, klikaður, is Icelandic for "insane," but in reference to a person or being only.

joelseph

okno said:
HI! I made a new mix, and, if I may toot my own horn for a second, its the best thing I've done yet (released and unreleased). I'm really proud of it, the transitions are good, and the vibe is good throughout. Something I've had a problem with is keeping a consistent tone throughout a set, so I gave myself time to stretch out a bit and think ahead a bit. I would always get excited about putting in a particular song, so I would just force it in which breaks up the flow heavily. It's 93 minutes long and spans house, disco and techno (the first half is house/disco, the second half is techno with a dash of disco).

Brandt, Brauer & Frick - Caffeine
Brandt, Brauer & Frick - Bop
Mogi - Drops
Flug - Wings to Fly
Mario Zar - Green Hornet
Mario Zar - Scheinwerfer
Mogi - Like A Bird
Cio D'or - Brokat
Marcel Fengler - Rapture
Nicolas Jaar - Wouh

The name, klikaður, is Icelandic for "insane," but in reference to a person or being only.

this is a dope mix. diverse tracklist and solid tone throughout. I really like the vibe, this would kill at an afterhours. Ending it was Jaar is awesome. Peace.

djtiesto said:
If you haven't, I'd recommend looking into the rest of the Anjunadeep catalogue for a similar sound.
i've really been getting into anjunadeep (aside from michael cassette) lately as well. the majority of their catalog has a great groove-y vibe that reminds me of trance from the late 90s (like shortly before it became about holding your hands in the air for 5 minute breakdowns). the michael cassette album is just such a treat because of the very 80's-tinged sound throughout the entire production.

also, on the heels of his (un)official announcement of being at coachella this year, i've been listening to a lot of high contrast the last few days. not like i really needed a reason to listen to more HC:

high contrast - return of forever
high contrast - racing green
jokers of the scene - baggy bottom boys (high contrast remix)
high contrast - the basment track (HCS upstairs/downstairs remix)
eric prydz - pjanoo (high contrast remix) (kind of a lazier remix, but i really enjoy the piano melody against the dnb beat)

okno

joelseph said:
this is a dope mix. diverse tracklist and solid tone throughout. I really like the vibe, this would kill at an afterhours. Ending it was Jaar is awesome. Peace.
Thanks, dude! That Jaar track is one of the best purchases I've made recently, bar none. I'm putting together a new mix and I'm going to try to work it in more in the middle somehow...

Those tracks just posted are wild!

Tr4nce

Rabbitwork said:
i've really been getting into anjunadeep (aside from michael cassette) lately as well. the majority of their catalog has a great groove-y vibe that reminds me of trance from the late 90s (like shortly before it became about holding your hands in the air for 5 minute breakdowns). the michael cassette album is just such a treat because of the very 80's-tinged sound throughout the entire production.

Yeah, he's great isn't he. If you like that kind of sound, then you should definitely listen to some tracks by Lovebirds or preferrably their 2008 BetaLounge Mix. Very housey, very groovy, and very catchy. I love it.

Edit: here's a little preview for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxv2_DVSOAM

djtiesto

okno said:
Thanks, dude! That Jaar track is one of the best purchases I've made recently, bar none. I'm putting together a new mix and I'm going to try to work it in more in the middle somehow...

Those tracks just posted are wild!

Jaar is fucking awesome. Chile has been on fire the last few years in terms of fantastic producers. (even though I think Jaar now lives over here in NY)

Tr4nce said:
Yeah, he's great isn't he. If you like that kind of sound, then you should definitely listen to some tracks by Lovebirds or preferrably their 2008 BetaLounge Mix. Very housey, very groovy, and very catchy. I love it.

Edit: here's a little preview for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxv2_DVSOAM

Oh man this mix is a classic.

Rabbitwork and other people into the Anjunadeep sound... you might like this mix I made back in early 2009:

Inner Harbor Sessions

okno

djtiesto said:
Jaar is fucking awesome. Chile has been on fire the last few years in terms of fantastic producers. (even though I think Jaar now lives over here in NY)

Jaar lives here? Huh. That's a little surprising, but not entirely. I was going to see him spin on Halloween after I caught news of the Blkmarket party being shut down, but on my way to the space we caught news that HIS party was shut down, too. Lame! Surprised he doesn't do more stuff around here... He's probably in Chile, avoiding the winter.

kai3345

Banned
Thought I would just plug my friend for a second. Pandametric

He's 17 and has produced a few high quality tracks. Most of his stuff is just him messing around but some of it is pretty good, especially for his age and years of experience (which is less than 1)

Shaneus

Okay, despite my earlier rant about how I'd love to see "traditional" house music make a comeback and there's been too much electro, I still have the odd soft-spot for well-produced, well-filthy shit:
Porter Robinson - Say My Name

Fucking kid is only 18 years old. I'd hate to think of the shit he's producing when he hits his 20's. Serious amount of talent there. Reminds me of a REALLY young Miles Dyson.

okno

subrock said:
nice mix up there okno. totally grabbing that bakey ustl track
I lost my shit over that track when it was released. Played it on repeat for like an hour, haha. The other two tracks on that record aren't nearly as good, though. "Nose Candy" is neat, very druggy vibe, but it never really goes anywhere, and "Heroin" is just a weird track.

Your new mix is pretty radtacular, too!

joelseph said:
i was real interested to listen to this after hearing 'do it myself'. except that its basically 15 minutes worth of noodling with chopped up samples. this in-and-of-itself is not something that turns me off, i love that sound. but there are plenty of other artists who are doing roughly the exact same thing and building great songs out of them. this was just disappointing and aimless.

some other great "chopped sample" tunes:

VHS Head - Gianasi
VHS Head - The Murder Cycles
Games - Shadows in Bloom
Hudson Mohawke - Gluetooth
Sunsetcorp (Oneohtrix Point Never) - Angel (this one is kind of cheating since its very much in the style of the Star Slinger EP, I'm just biased since I saw it some time ago)

jet1911 said:
I'm not sure if it should go in this thread but anyway...

Usher - More (RedOne Remix)

I can't stop listening to this song. :eek:

You guys know some songs that sound a bit like that?
you want remixes of pop music or just songs that have a similar sound?

also, fuck region-locking youtube videos (your link was blocked for me).

also, that remix is pretty great. i'm not a top40 fan and the electro-house style has had its heyday, but i can always appreciate a great club track. this would definitely get the floor moving.

jet1911

Rabbitwork said:
you want remixes of pop music or just songs that have a similar sound?

also, fuck region-locking youtube videos (your link was blocked for me).

also, that remix is pretty great. i'm not a top40 fan and the electro-house style has had its heyday, but i can always appreciate a great club track. this would definitely get the floor moving.

Similar sound. And when this song played in the club I went this week the dancefloor went crazy.

jet1911 said:
Similar sound. And when this song played in the club I went this week the dancefloor went crazy.
i am probably not the best person to recommend songs like the usher remix, but here's a few that sort resonate with me in a similar way. ironically a lot of them are remixes of pop music:

phonat - set me free (original mix)
lady gaga ft. beyonce - telephone (chew fu remix)
lady gaga ft marilyn manson - love game (chew fu remix)
christina aguilera - dirrty (tracey young remix) (i was addicted to this for about a week when it was first out)
la roux - bulletproof (tiborg club remix)
montero - captain hook

i would just google "chew fu remix" and go nuts. guy is a master.

subrock

jet1911 said:
check out chew fu or bimbo jones. they do a lot of pop remixes similar to this. this post also reminds me that as a DJ, I often aim way to high.

subrock

okno said:
I lost my shit over that track when it was released. Played it on repeat for like an hour, haha. The other two tracks on that record aren't nearly as good, though. "Nose Candy" is neat, very druggy vibe, but it never really goes anywhere, and "Heroin" is just a weird track.

Your new mix is pretty radtacular, too!
thanks :) I got the EP and feel about the same way about it. that first track is a keeper though for sure.

Anyone heard the new sirusmo stuff. fucking in love with it. such a great and pretty unique sound from that guy.

jet1911

Rabbitwork said:
i am probably not the best person to recommend songs like the usher remix, but here's a few that sort resonate with me in a similar way. ironically a lot of them are remixes of pop music:

lady gaga ft. beyonce - telephone (chew fu remix)
lady gaga ft marilyn manson - love game (chew fu remix)
christina aguilera - dirrty (tracey young remix) (i was addicted to this for about a week when it was first out)
la roux - bulletproof (tiborg club remix)
montero - captain hook

i would just google "chew fu remix" and go nuts. guy is a master.

Thanks for the suggestions. :D

Shaneus

Rabbitwork said:

Fucking love Phonat... kicked arse in a live set I saw him do at a festival late last year. Exactly what I'd imagine a DJ set by Daft Punk would be like... inoffensive, flowing house music with a hint of 80s breakbeat. It was wonderful. A set I found (seems to be Phonat doing the first half) gives a fair idea. You also NEED to check out this remix:
The Young Punx - Rockall (Phonat remix)

As for really commercial tracks, this (I think) from last year is a solid favourite:
Groove Armada - Paper Romance (Urchins remix)

In another attempt to find ideas/inspiration to knock a set together, I think I might just do ultra-commercial (like above) super happy good time floor filler mix. Maybe I should do it after I'm buzzed ( ;) ) from a night out when I'm in a dancing around the loungeroom in my bathrobe-kinda mood :lol

Shaneus

Rabbitwork said:
oh i've been wearing that tune out for years. amazing amazing.
I know, innit? That was the sole reason I saw him live but he was surprisingly (and somewhat pleasantly) playing a less-aggressive style. Unfortunately, didn't play that track but I didn't really care... his whole set was smooth and head-noddingly good.

Shaneus said:
I know, innit? That was the sole reason I saw him live but he was surprisingly (and somewhat pleasantly) playing a less-aggressive style. Unfortunately, didn't play that track but I didn't really care... his whole set was smooth and head-noddingly good.
when i first heard it, it reminded me of this great house track from 2003 that almost nobody i've come across has ever heard. the guy who sent me a bundle of mp3s around then said he had personally ripped it from the vinyl (he was a collector).

to me it has the same "rising victory" feel of the rockall remix. sort of a "man i should put my hands in the air for this----oh shit they already are" track. i had to upload it to youtube because it was nowhere to be found.

yoko - yoko (yoko's power loop remix)

there is another version from the same EP but its almost identical with a different opening and a slightly different structure. i'll probably upload it eventually for posterity's sake.

Shaneus

10 seconds in I said "ooh, I like that already!" out loud... really, really fucking nice track. Further justifies my vow to only listen to older tracks this year rather than hunt out day-one releases. Too much good old shit out there waiting for fresh ears... in this case, mine ;)

PS. That guitar is cheesy-as. Sweet, though... I can tell I'm going to thrash the fuck out of it. Thank you <3

Edit: After searching on Beatport and even struggling to find any info on it AT ALL, I managed to track it down on one of those ultra-bizarre Russian MP3 search engines. Shame I can't find a legit link to download it from as I'd happily buy the whole EP if it's that fucking good.

BTW I found it on Discogs, and I think it's actually goes by a slightly different name, judging by the length of the YouTube vid you uploaded. See track 4 on this page.
But thanks for the tip anyway, though... stoked that I found it :D

Shaneus said:
BTW I found it on Discogs, and I think it's actually goes by a slightly different name, judging by the length of the YouTube vid you uploaded. See track 4 on this page.
But thanks for the tip anyway, though... stoked that I found it :D
wherever you go (at least the versions i've heard) are a weird version of "yoko". its clearly the same track but with some vocals on top and the original track is greatly reduced. i can provide you the mp3s i have if thats what you're after.

Shaneus

Rabbitwork said:
wherever you go (at least the versions i've heard) are a weird version of "yoko". its clearly the same track but with some vocals on top and the original track is greatly reduced. i can provide you the mp3s i have if thats what you're after.
The weird russian site I used has that same one you posted on YT, so a rose by any other name would smell as sweet (or something). As long as I have that rose downloaded, I don't care what it's called.

Or something.

djtiesto

okno said:

Brandt, Brauer &amp; Frick - Caffeine
Brandt, Brauer &amp; Frick - Bop
Mogi - Drops
Flug - Wings to Fly
Mario Zar - Green Hornet
Mario Zar - Scheinwerfer
Mogi - Like A Bird
Cio D'or - Brokat
Marcel Fengler - Rapture
Nicolas Jaar - Wouh

I'm about halfway through this and it's great - I love the contrast between deep and lush house (that Mugwhump song is AWESOME) and more abstract techy stuff, but I have one big question... after Grand Central Part 1 there is this extremely melodic and lush song that I loved... at the 47:30 mark. So I went to Beatport and took a listen to Mogi - Drops but the clip from BP was much more techy. Is the lush stuff part of the Mogi song (and BP once again dropping the ball on a crappy sample), or is it a song you forgot to add to the tracklist? Thanks...

okno

djtiesto said:
I'm about halfway through this and it's great - I love the contrast between deep and lush house (that Mugwhump song is AWESOME) and more abstract techy stuff, but I have one big question... after Grand Central Part 1 there is this extremely melodic and lush song that I loved... at the 47:30 mark. So I went to Beatport and took a listen to Mogi - Drops but the clip from BP was much more techy. Is the lush stuff part of the Mogi song (and BP once again dropping the ball on a crappy sample), or is it a song you forgot to add to the tracklist? Thanks...
Thanks, dude! That song is Drops, it gets more melodic as it progresses. Mogi is one of my new favorite producers. I found him and his record label (wolfen... Something) just randomly the other day. The last half of the mix is like a full tribute to that label, haha. Didn't mean for it to work out that way, heh.

Really glad you guys like it! :) I'm finally buying myself a mixer this week, just a simple two-channel thing, unless I can find a decently priced four-channel one.

Ps, that Mugwhump song is amazing!

Shaneus

4tptur.jpg

:D

It's only 30 mins and the band I'm playing before is a bit underground alt-folk type stuff, so I think I'm gonna stick with some French lo-fi house for the kids to rock out to (and it's not so much a shock for the people to see the band).

Kccitystar

it's probably the first mix I share on this thread but I've been DJing here and there since 2006, and here's something I worked on earlier in the year, a 30 minute mix you could say, on my trip to Chicago to visit my dad. I hope you guys enjoy it enough to want a download :)

Link!

Top Bottom