• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Johnlenham said:
Yeah nice tune!

Edit: Holyshit JUMP JUMP DANCE DANCE are awesome!
I had a quick look at their Myspace page and one half is actually Groove Terminator. I've never been a fan of his solo stuff but he's done some good work as Tonite Only (with one of the La More brothers) and now JJDD. I've only heard this track but I'll definitely hunt down some more on your comments :)

Shaneus

Hm, excited! Do they all have that similar disco-housey vibe? I hope so... more Australian producers need to get off the electro train and into something a little warmer and homely. Seriously hoping that old-school disco/house beats (circa Paradise Garage etc.) make a comeback. Hopefully it'll get rid of those teenage mustache-having, fluoro sunglasses-wearing tryhard dipshits that annoy me at festivals.

[/rant]

okno

Shaneus said:
Hm, excited! Do they all have that similar disco-housey vibe? I hope so... more Australian producers need to get off the electro train and into something a little warmer and homely. Seriously hoping that old-school disco/house beats (circa Paradise Garage etc.) make a comeback. Hopefully it'll get rid of those teenage mustache-having, fluoro sunglasses-wearing tryhard dipshits that annoy me at festivals.

[/rant]
I think it's crazy just how huge electro-house is in Australia. Disco/house is definitely on the rise, and I fucking love it.

Just walked out of a store with brand new TMA-1s! Tried them out thinking they wouldn't be all they were cracked up to be, but yeah they're glorious. Got $25 knocked off the price, too! I'm sure there are other, comparable phones out there for less, but everyone seems to really push the TMA-1s over anything else. If anyone has suggestions for phones that are as good and cheaper, let me know, because I have a week to return them. For now, though, I'm really happy.

Shaneus

I think the main competition of those cans are the HD-25s. Compare them to that and see what you think. Pretty sure that 99% of all DJs still use the Sennheisers, but YMMV.

Just checked my local DJ store and they're priced about the same too. I'm guessing it comes down to comfort more than anything. I gave them a test listen when they first came out but because it was on a track I'd never heard before I couldn't safely judge whether they were better or worse than the HD-25 Sennys.

devenger

subrock said:
Herr styler - jack
Blowing up my phones right now.

Fun fact I learned while checking out the my name is tiga podcast: digitalism's song zdarlight is named after Philip Zdar, a super talented producer and a member of Cassius.
Neat!

I'm really enjoying the Digitalism album right now. Anything similar?

Alucrid

Banned
okno said:
I think it's crazy just how huge electro-house is in Australia. Disco/house is definitely on the rise, and I fucking love it.

Just walked out of a store with brand new TMA-1s! Tried them out thinking they wouldn't be all they were cracked up to be, but yeah they're glorious. Got $25 knocked off the price, too! I'm sure there are other, comparable phones out there for less, but everyone seems to really push the TMA-1s over anything else. If anyone has suggestions for phones that are as good and cheaper, let me know, because I have a week to return them. For now, though, I'm really happy.

They look nice...like the matte black color. It's a good thing that disco/house is on the rise. Miami Horror is awesome.

Other than Stanton Warriors (which is how I found out about it) anyone know these other guys?

Basement: The Stanton Warriors / Blackstrobe / Justin Robertson / Matt Walsh / Nelly
Ground Floor:Luke Solomon/ Jordan Peak / Wesley Razzy / Richard Rowell /

Its a free thing with free booze in Central London on Friday \o/

okno

Johnlenham said:
Other than Stanton Warriors (which is how I found out about it) anyone know these other guys?

Basement: The Stanton Warriors / Blackstrobe / Justin Robertson / Matt Walsh / Nelly
Ground Floor:Luke Solomon/ Jordan Peak / Wesley Razzy / Richard Rowell /

Its a free thing with free booze in Central London on Friday \o/
Luke Solomon is one of my favorite recent producers! Go see him!

maxxpower

The Interrobanger said:
- You really, really, REALLY need to turn up the bass. Everything is incredibly flat.

- I'm not sure if it's you on vocals, but the voice is horrible. Zero range, pitch problems and it doesn't complement the melodies at all. I'm not saying you should scrap it, because the instrumentation is too generic to stand on it's own, but play with filters and/or delivery structure.

In its current state it's too mediocre and generic to go anywhere, but there's enough potential to suggest you keep working at it.

EDIT: "MicroVolts" is several magnitudes better than "Be Mine"

Thanks a lot for the feedback, and no that's not me on the vocals, I actually don't really have a vocalist right now.

daviyoung

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Blackstrobe

Made some cracking electrohouse tunes in the early 2000s, no idea about now.

Johnlenham said:
Justin Robertson

Seriously check this dude out. Long-time big-beat/rave remixer and producer, collaborations with Fatboy Slim. Happy, bouncy party music.

Nyx

I wasn't entirely happy with my last effort, so I made a new sundaymornings mix, slightly different TL, so delete the old one for whoever downloaded it. ;)

http://soundcloud.com/nyx_1978/george-hefner-sundaymornings

Minimal and techhouse.

1. Peace Division - Voodoo (It's in the Wall)
2. JMF - Micado
3. Avatism - None the Preachier
4. Bearweasel - Down Down
5. Nadja Lind - Shakes (Hatikvah Remix)
6. Prompt - Mechanic
7. Marco Carola - Black Box
8. Benja (CH), Reto Ardour - Sweet Peace
9. Maya Jane Coles - Play the Game
10. Alex Jones - Shoe of the Year
11. Mimmo Orlando, Pinto Bahia, To - A Wimple
12. Slam - Collecting Data (Steve Lawler Remix)
13. Audiofly - Fela (David Squillace Simple Chaos Remix)
14. David San - Bum Bum
15. Sebrok, Tassilo - Who Stole the Soul (Steve Lawler Remix)
16. Andy Kohlmann - Sniplook
17. Juan Ddd, Jorge Jara - Papaya (Hector Couto Dub Remix)
18. Strict Border - Fugen

Really happy with it now, the flow is great, and all transitions are too, imo. :)

Ashhong

okno said:
Check your latency settings on your mixer, it may be too low. Alternatively, try changing the sampling rate from 41khz to 48khz. I was having a similar issue, except it was a fluttering, metallic sound you hears upon playback. Changing the latency would fix it for 60 mins, tops, if I was lucky, but increasing the sampling rate did the trick right quick.

I was able to find the option for overclocking like someone else suggested, which was turned on so I turned that off. But where can I find the sampling rate settings? I'm not an advanced user with this thing. I just put in songs and play with the mixer bars haha.

GhaleonQ

Okay, I just started listening to electronic music without lyrics in 2010, so I might have awful taste. That said, does anyone remember that Pitchfork Media article on Moskva's electronic music scene? http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/7867-beg-steal-or-borrow-new-beats-from-moscow/1 I loved it and it pushed me to explore Russia sooner rather than later. (The video game references didn't hurt.) So, Mujuice's 1st new material in 3 years comes out in 2 weeks, and I HIGHLY recommend it based on past work.

http://translate.google.com/transla...flows/muzyika/posts/109263-mujuice-2010-11-02

My favorite song of his, International Deadline Lifestyle, is at the beginning of this large, legal mix file. http://9stuff0.com/mp3/9b0_Promomix_2008_06_June.mp3

ACE 1991 said:
Has anyone listened to Tim Hecker's new album Ravedeath? It's really quite beautiful.

It's my favorite album of his. I just love the coherence of the album taken as a whole.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So what albums are everybody in the thread hyped for?

I'm wanting to check out Club Life: Las Vegas (go figure), Anjunadeep 03, and Balance 18: Nick Warren (I guess this means Global Underground is finally dead if Nick Warren is doing Balance comps :p)

joelseph

My most anticipated release in March:

greeneart_030211.jpg

daviyoung

Banned
djtiesto said:
Balance 18: Nick Warren (I guess this means Global Underground is finally dead if Nick Warren is doing Balance comps :p)

They're still releasing Balance comps? Wow.

Hyped for, even though they're released:

Superpitcher - Kilimanjaro
Port Royal - The Golden Age of Consumerism
OTT - MIR

joelseph

Kingdom XLR8R podcast

Kingdom will be in Chicago at Beauty Bar on Thursday, sadly Bok Bok and Girl Unit's Visas got denied for the show.

http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2011/03/kingdom

01 Jacques Greene "Tell Me (Kingdom Edit)" (LuckyMe)
02 Kingdom "SFX"
03 Kingdom "Los Poderes (Edit ft. Floetry)" (Dutty Artz)
04 Kingdom "Stalker Ha" (Night Slugs)
05 Kingdom "Uptown Buck" (Scion/Trouble&Bass)
06 Jam City "Aqua Box" (Night Slugs)
07 Katy B "Lights On (Girl Unit Remix)" (Rinse)
08 Kingdom "Okay To Dance" (Fool's Gold)
09 MikeQ & Angel X "Let It All Out 2011" (Qween Beat)
10 Nguzunguzu "Timesup" (Fade to Mind)
11 Kingdom "Stadium Pass" (Enchufada)
12 Bok Bok "Silo Pass" (Night Slugs)
13 DJ Cabos x Kingdom "Snapduro + Appetite Edit"
14 Kid Ink "Keep It Rollin"
15 Kingdom "If You Buck"
16 Win Win "Interleave (Kingdom Remix)" (Vice)
17 Total Freedom "YB Voice Song"
18 DJ Exota Vs. DJ Vali "Pu**yf**ker (Kingdom Edit)" (Unreleased)
19 Jim Jones / Automatik "Go Cinderella (Kingdom Edit)" (Diplomats)
20 Ciara x Girl Unit "Ride + Every Time (Kingdom Blend)" (Night Slugs)

djtiesto

daviyoung said:
They're still releasing Balance comps? Wow.

Hyped for, even though they're released:

Superpitcher - Kilimanjaro
Port Royal - The Golden Age of Consumerism
OTT - MIR

Yup, Timo Maas had one released a few months ago (it wasn't that great though)... hoping the Nick Warren one brings the series back, he's one of my all-time favorite DJs. Nobody else aside from him and Hernan Cattaneo that really spin progressive house anymore sadly :(

Shaneus

Future Music Festival coming up in Melbourne (Australia) this Sunday. Will probably be stone-cold sober but should still be a fun gig. Some awesome acts, Don Diablo definitely on the cards, as is Sven Vath. Sander Van Doorn should be 'orright, too.
info

In somewhat related news, a mate of a mate had a song featured in an SvD podcast! It's a mashup of Illmerica and We Are Your Friends. Just Googled it (the Steve Camp mashup) and holy fuck, that song is EVERYWHERE! My mate was belting the fuck out of it, didn't realise it was by someone I've had the occasional chat to. Check it out :)

Kinda inspires me to get my arse into gear and learn Ableton. I have so many awesome mashie/track ideas that I have no idea how to initiate :(

djtiesto

Congrats to your friend, Shaneus... honestly I'm not a fan of Illmerica though, that song never sat right with me for some reason.

Oh yeah, new most wanted album just announced...

189487_205545859455775_116688408341521_860984_4415542_n.jpg

OMG OMG OMG

Shaneus

djtiesto said:
Congrats to your friend, Shaneus... honestly I'm not a fan of Illmerica though, that song never sat right with me for some reason.

Oh yeah, new most wanted album just announced...

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189487_205545859455775_116688408341521_860984_4415542_n.jpg[img]

OMG OMG OMG[/QUOTE]
Hear ya on that track... on its own it doesn't do much for me, but it works REALLY well with the WAYF acapella. I'm much more a fan of Wolfie's Flashback (and the mashup Flashback to Mars).

djtiesto said:

This is why I'm just an ignorant lover of almost all things dance music (except for fucking dubstep...) I fucking love that track. In fact, everything Wolfgang is fucking bumping in my book.

Shaneus

You should see him live, Skip. Not the best at anything, but really good at EVERYTHING. Can work a crowd up like a motherfucker just by playing great music.

Hard to believe that Wolfgang Gartner is actually a pseudonym and he's actually from America!

PS. Google "Illmerica are your friends". Download. Enjoy. Pretty sure it's legal too, considering it's not being sold anywhere.

joelseph

Saturday Night Soundclash Mistajam Jam Hot Jamie XX

Still trying to figure this out, I skimmed the file and couldn't find Jamie's mix and now I am seeing it up for stream on soundcloud (sadly no download) and the tracklisting is all different...

Found it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?eqk0j8vauvy41kl

Ruff Sqwad – XTC Instrumental
YGC – Countdown (Lewi White & Jammer Remix Instrumental)
Fire Camp – No
DaVinche – Phase
Ruff Sqwad – Don’t Trust Instrumental
DCoy – Johnny Was A Badboy (Feat. Wiley)
DJ Wonder – What Have You Done Instrumental (Feat. Kano)

Dizzee Rascal – Street Fighter Instrumental

Roll Deep – Shank Riddim (When I’m Ere)
Harmonimix – Big Boi
DaVinche – Misty Blue
Slix – No Bass (Feat. Jammer, Tinchy Stryder & Ghetto)

Ruff Sqwad – Tings In Boots Instrumental

http://www.thefader.com/2011/03/09/stream-jamie-xxs-grime-mix-on-bbc-1xtra/#ixzz1G8nAabO6

joelseph

episode15_lolboys-452x452.jpg

LOL Boys – KOTJ Radio Episode 15

01. Boyfriend – Baltoji Varnele Edit (CDR)
02. Munchi – Hope (T&A Records)
03. LOL Boys – Sweet Cinnamon (CDR)
04. Heartbreak – My Grown Man Shit (M4 EP)
05. LOL Boys – Aisle Seat (Forthcoming Discobelle Records)
06. LOL Boys – Runaways (Forthcoming Discobelle Records)
07. LOL Boys ft. Teki Latex – Modern (Forthcoming Truants Records)
08. Destiny’s Child – For Da Girls (K2 Re-Edit) (K2 Edits)
09. Gucci Vump – Shashtilism (Erick Rincon Remix) (CDR)
10. DJ Javier Estrada – Eclipse (CDR)
11. Julius Sylvest – Djemba (CDR)
12. Munchi – Hope (LOL Boys Remix) (Forthcoming T&A Records)
13. 702 – Steelo (LOL Boys & Sinjin Hawke Remix) (CDR)
14. Mackpaye – Fragrance (12-3 Recordings)
15. Waya Waya – Nomada (Self-Release)
16. XXXY – Ordinary Things (Ten Thousand Yen)
17. Deborah Cox – It’s Over (Dubbel Dutch Refix)
18. Art Nouveau & LOL Boys – Air France II (Demento Mori)
19. LOL Boys – Nomads (Forthcoming Cool Records)

Kraftwerk

Recommendation time :0

(A) I'm looking for some long tracks. 20 minutes at least. Not too heavy, prefer something light or minimalist. ( This criteria isn't as important as it being long )

Example :

(B) Some cosmic music :0

Example :

Thank you in advance :)

Hixx

Has Mord Fustang got any other tracks out? Electric Dream and Super Meat Freeze are two of the best tracks I've heard in fucking ages, only found them last week.

devenger

As long as we're putting in requests.

I have lurked on this thread for so long, and not sure why the bulk of posts are for DJs/ specific mixes. I'm usually diggin though samples on Amazon, best of lists from AV Club and Pop Matters for hopefuls. Is there a reason that a lot of GAFs listening circles around performances?

That said, recently stumbled across Mux Mool's Skulltatse. Sounds like really crunchy, thickly produced chiptune hybrid, which I'm really digging. Same thing with Crystal Castles, I'm enjoying the semi-dark, heavy electronic grind sound, without descending into full on industrial.

Further recent listeninging: Chemical Brother's Further and Royksopp's Senior, as well as the Daft Punk soundtrack. Last night I downloaded some Ratatat and Emeralds. I do enjoy a very artificial, space sound a lot of the times, as long as the sound isn't too thin and drone-like.

Anybody have a suggestion on some groups to try out next?

joelseph

fludevil said:
Is there a reason that a lot of GAFs listening circles around performances?

Everything is digital now, by the time a track is released it is already old. Mixes are a way for producers to showcase their new unreleased stuff. They are great because you always are learning new tracks and names to research and interesting ways to mix tracks. I guess it comes down to if you DJ or not.

For example: When XXXY - Ordinary Things first dropped it was fresh as fuck but hard to mix imo, its fun hearing how others deal with it.

joelseph said:
I guess it comes down to if you DJ or not.

I don't DJ and I like big mixtapes like subrock's because it shows me new music faster than I could get scouring the multiple websites looking for it. Plus, instead of having to listen to an entire 6 minute track, I get the best two or three minutes condensed, and if I like it, I can go seek out that artist.

Like I was listening to the most recent dabears mix, and Mord Fustang came in and I loved it. So now I want more Mord Fustang, just like Hixx!

joelseph

Skiptastic said:
I don't DJ and I like big mixtapes like subrock's because it shows me new music faster than I could get scouring the multiple websites looking for it. Plus, instead of having to listen to an entire 6 minute track, I get the best two or three minutes condensed, and if I like it, I can go seek out that artist.

Like I was listening to the most recent dabears mix, and Mord Fustang came in and I loved it. So now I want more Mord Fustang, just like Hixx!

You explained it better than I did!

djtiesto

Kraftwerk said:
Recommendation time :0

(A) I'm looking for some long tracks. 20 minutes at least. Not too heavy, prefer something light or minimalist. ( This criteria isn't as important as it being long )

Hmm, well they are a bit shorter (i.e. 10-15 minutes rather than 20+ minutes) but if you like Ricardo Villalobos, check out Luciano, Mirko Loko, Dandy Jack and the Junction SM. They do that bouncy Chilean minimal style as well, Luciano's 2008 Essential Mix and Mirko Loko's "Seventynine" album are good to start.

Also you can try The Orb for long, drawn-out productions. They pioneered ambient music back in the early 90's and are notorious for their extended tracks. "Blue Room" off the UFOrb album and "A Huge, Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Lives In The Centre Of The Ultraworld" are 2 long (~18 min) songs.

Finally, Goldie had a D&B album called Saturnzreturn, with a 60 minute track on it!

fludevil said:
As long as we're putting in requests.

I have lurked on this thread for so long, and not sure why the bulk of posts are for DJs/ specific mixes. I'm usually diggin though samples on Amazon, best of lists from AV Club and Pop Matters for hopefuls. Is there a reason that a lot of GAFs listening circles around performances?

That said, recently stumbled across Mux Mool's Skulltatse. Sounds like really crunchy, thickly produced chiptune hybrid, which I'm really digging. Same thing with Crystal Castles, I'm enjoying the semi-dark, heavy electronic grind sound, without descending into full on industrial.

Further recent listeninging: Chemical Brother's Further and Royksopp's Senior, as well as the Daft Punk soundtrack. Last night I downloaded some Ratatat and Emeralds. I do enjoy a very artificial, space sound a lot of the times, as long as the sound isn't too thin and drone-like.

Anybody have a suggestion on some groups to try out next?

Perhaps check out some post-dubstep and IDM, that seems like it'd be up your alley. Apparat - DJ Kicks album, Burial - Untrue album, Fabric 50 - Martyn... Also I'll recommend The Orb once again for that "spacy" sound, although they use a ton of samples, and have much more of an "organic" rather than a cold and metallic sound.

devenger

Thanks, I'll check these out. The Goose single had a bit too much by way of vocals.

I'm familiar with the Orb and I'm a big fan of anything ambient. But like I said, lately I can't get enough of those dark Royksopp Senior tracks.

And thanks for actually posting recommendations.

Top Bottom