• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Skiptastic said:
I don't DJ and I like big mixtapes like subrock's because it shows me new music faster than I could get scouring the multiple websites looking for it. Plus, instead of having to listen to an entire 6 minute track, I get the best two or three minutes condensed, and if I like it, I can go seek out that artist.

Like I was listening to the most recent dabears mix, and Mord Fustang came in and I loved it. So now I want more Mord Fustang, just like Hixx!

This! on that note Touchbass new mix please!

joelseph

I really enjoy listening to the purchase packs 14tracks.com sends out, I recommend signing up for their newsletter. It is powered by Boomkat and reminds me of WOOT.

GhaleonQ

ACE 1991 said:
Any recommendations of artists similar to Tim Hecker?

He's pretty unique, in that he has art/"classical" music references that extend beyond 1900s music that he combines with shoegaze and intelligent dance music. He's a Christian Fennesz fan, who's a little similar, and Ben Frost would work. I don't think Stars Of The Lid are similar, but people tend to like both.

&Divius said:
New JUSTICE song, in the adidas trailer. Sounds amazing, can't wait for the LP. April 4th.

Adidas Is In All Commercial feat. Justice - Civilization

They are such douches (or weirdos, I guess), but I can't wait for their album.

Alucrid said:
Yep. Love Black Noise. Stick to my Side is an awesome track.

Stick It To My Side always kills my groove on that album...panda bear lyrics after 3 amazing tracks-- it's like getting jarred awake by a hipster! haha jk

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay been listening to the last Röyksopp album Senior. Wasn't that into the album at 1st and seemed to initially like Junior better. I think my opinion has flipped now that I've gone back to the album.

Part of it was Junior was their 1st new album in a while so I was eagerly anticipating where as Senior was just the flipside of their album project. Yet upon new reflection I think my favorite songs are on Senior not Junior though I think Junior has less missteps than Senior.

Now just to try and find some similar tunes to my favorite Senior tracks like The Alcoholic.

Chaplain

19276010150113184467870.jpg

Date
Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 9:30 PM EDT
Ice Palace, Miami, FL

Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Anjunabeats Room
9.30-10.30pm Soundprank
10.30-11.30pm Kyau & Albert
11.30-1am Gabriel & Dresden
1-3am Above & Beyond
3-4am Cosmic Gate
4-5am Super8 & Tab
5-6am Mat Zo

Anjunadeep Room
10-11pm Electrobios
11-12am Jody Wisternoff
12-1am Desyn Masiello
1-2am John Dahlback
2-3am James Grant
3-4am Jaytech
4-5am Jaytech & James Grant B2B

Broadcast
Electric Area will be broadcast the night on Sirius XM
(maybe some other "streams")

Shaneus

^^ Ooh, some nice names on that list (if you're a trance head). Seriously, fuck AvB, Corsten etc... that shit's where it's at for trance.

Shaneus said:
PS. If you don't like Infusion, you suck at life. Saw them open for Leftfield, do a kickass cover of Icehouse's Great Southern Land and finished with the YT track I posted.

Blew me away that there were maybe 50 people there for their entire set. Made me sad because they're so ridiculously talented and awesome.

Patrick Bateman said:

Some nice tunes there chaps!

Shaneus

I've become a massive Infusion champion since this email correspondence a few years ago (2005!):
Subj: You guys rock!
Haha... I bet that's exactly the same subject for the rest of the fan
emails you receive... why should mine be any different?!?

I'd just like to send a note to you guys to congratulate you on your
success... I first got into your music about mid-Jan this year after
seeing the video for Natural on Raaaage. Since then, I've picked up
the vinyl of Do To You, the CD single of Better World, the full LP of
Six Feet and the bonus disc edition of Six Feet. I also saw you guys
when you played the Prince of Wales about a month back. Awesome,
awesome gig.

Anyway, just wanted to mention how hard you rock (like you don't know
that already!) and best of luck in your overseas endeavours. And a big
shout out to Jamie... hope you're well on your way to being 100%!

Cheers,
Shane
Hey Shane

Thanks a lot for your email and your support :) We just got back from Cyprus a few hours ago, it was our first time playing there, something different!

If you want to send me your postal address and t-shirt size I'll get our manager to send you an Infusion shirt, I think you should get one after buying pretty much everything!

cheers

Jamie
Infusion
Keep in mind that was back in the day when social media was pretty tiny so I didn't actually expect any kind of interaction. I've lost some weight since then and the shirt is fucking massive on me, but I still have it :)

joelseph

Round Table Knights - Seasonal Mix Winter/Spring 2011
(direct link)

Marc Moulin – Aria
Terry Callier – You Goin Miss Your Candyman
Trickski – Phill Collins
Tornado Wallace – Swimmin
Hercules & Love Affair – My House
Bubba – Makin Contact
Subb-an – What I Do
Session Victim – We Want To Thahounk All Our Friends
Homework – Hold Me Tight
Andre Crom, Martin Dawson – In The City
No Regular Play – Serious Heat
Mount Kimbie – Carbonated (Chris James Refix)
Stuffa – Proof (Wolf + Lamb Remix)
Riva Starr – More (Kink Remix)
Round Table Knights – Paparussi
Joy Orbison – Ladywell
Rick Poppa Howard – About Fourteen

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Game Analyst said:
19276010150113184467870.jpg

Date
Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 9:30 PM EDT
Ice Palace, Miami, FL

Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Anjunabeats Room
9.30-10.30pm Soundprank
10.30-11.30pm Kyau & Albert
11.30-1am Gabriel & Dresden
1-3am Above & Beyond
3-4am Cosmic Gate
4-5am Super8 & Tab
5-6am Mat Zo

Anjunadeep Room
10-11pm Electrobios
11-12am Jody Wisternoff
12-1am Desyn Masiello
1-2am John Dahlback
2-3am James Grant
3-4am Jaytech
4-5am Jaytech & James Grant B2B

Broadcast
Electric Area will be broadcast the night on Sirius XM
(maybe some other "streams")

Anjunadeep room sounds fucking AMAZING!!! Jody and Desyn are incredible. Gabriel and Dresden are reunited? I saw one of their last shows when together and they SUCKED. Didn't know how to build a set at all - they'd play their anthemic electro/prog tracks and follow up with the blandest tech-house known to man. Shame, since some of their songs are all-time favorites for me:

One of the reasons ISOS3 is my favorite mix album ever
This song defined 2003 for me

Shaneus said:
PS. If you don't like Infusion, you suck at life. Saw them open for Leftfield, do a kickass cover of Icehouse's Great Southern Land and finished with the YT track I posted.

Blew me away that there were maybe 50 people there for their entire set. Made me sad because they're so ridiculously talented and awesome.

Hell yeah Infusion!

And Leftfield is so good that's where I got my PSN/XBL name from :D

I'm by no means an electronica expert, but I enjoyed Burial and especially the recent Ego track with Four Tet and Thom Yorke, so I decided to look further into dubstep. I find stuff like Skrillex where there's the "ugly" or "grimey" bass parts of the song, and I see no connection to Burial. If anything the commonality between Burial's songs is the drum patterns - nothing in the bass or drops or whatever that defines the crap I'm hearing that's labeled as dubstep. What am I missing?

videotape said:
I'm by no means an electronica expert, but I enjoyed Burial and especially the recent Ego track with Four Tet and Thom Yorke, so I decided to look further into dubstep. I find stuff like Skrillex where there's the "ugly" or "grimey" bass parts of the song, and I see no connection to Burial. If anything the commonality between Burial's songs is the drum patterns - nothing in the bass or drops or whatever that defines the crap I'm hearing that's labeled as dubstep. What am I missing?

Skrillex is to dubstep as Nickleback is to rock.

Kraftwerk

since-i-left-you.jpg

Such an awesome album. This isn't my first time listening to it, but my first time REALLY listening to it.

I love how on tracks like Etoh different - and very random- instruments keep popping up, chaotic at first, but then they all merge in harmony.

So good.

p.s A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a, bird? YEAH!

Shaneus

The Interrobanger said:
Skrillex is to dubstep as Nickleback is to rock.
Makes SO much sense.

PS. Dubstep almost single-handedly ruined my last festival experience. I'd never walked away from a Don Diablo set before, but did then. Steve Aoki did, too.

Seriously. So fucking over dubstep, far more than fluoro-electro.

jvalioli

Kraftwerk said:
Such an awesome album. This isn't my first time listening to it, but my first time REALLY listening to it.

I love how on tracks like Etoh different - and very random- instruments keep popping up, chaotic at first, but then they all merge in harmony.

So good.

p.s A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a, bird? YEAH!
Now join the rest of us in the 2nd album wait.

MBison

Some of my favorite older electronica tracks:

Hawke - 3 Nudes Having Sax on Acid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0KhQKlcNo

Acid Rockers - Orion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y0KJlBbSNE

Speedy J - De-Orbit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHkdH294UAc

I.A.O. - The Clan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq2w2wQ21Ok

Autechre - Chatter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOs10WiBuiY

Fluke - Squirt Europicola - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fMq69cf_Y0

Orbital - Are We Here? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAu-9urH69U

Shaneus

djtiesto said:
Hell yeah Infusion!

And Leftfield is so good that's where I got my PSN/XBL name from :D
Have you heard the Infusion Essential Mix? It's raw as fuck and so, so good. They open with Do To You (in '82) but it's a dirtier version than the released version (that I have on vinyl, oh yeah!) and close with "Untitled" (which later becomes Love and Imitation).

PS. What's your Live/PSN ID? Or, at least, a hint? Curious to hear what song you named it after.

Shaneus

I'm preeeetty sure that The Avalanches as they were when that album was made, are no longer (and haven't been for a while).

TBH I think it's one of those works that should just be appreciated by itself for what it is.

Shaneus

Read the Avalanches wiki and it looks like there is hope, but like I said, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Avalanches now may not be the same Avalanches of 2000.

Fucked if I know where my copy is, but I'm downloading it again. I always listen to it with fond memories of Australian summers spent driving my shitbox Celica around the coastline <3

PS. I wish there was a way I could somehow play an Avalanches track or two in a set...

joelseph

videotape said:

Forget about dubstep and start following postdub, bass music and UK funky/garage.

Top Bottom