• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shaneus said:
Have you heard the Infusion Essential Mix? It's raw as fuck and so, so good. They open with Do To You (in '82) but it's a dirtier version than the released version (that I have on vinyl, oh yeah!) and close with "Untitled" (which later becomes Love and Imitation).

PS. What's your Live/PSN ID? Or, at least, a hint? Curious to hear what song you named it after.

The one from 2004? Yeah, that's pretty badass, but truthfully I haven't listened to it in a while!

And here's a hint to my Live/PSN ID - you can find it in my user profile ;)

Shaneus said:
Read the Avalanches wiki and it looks like there is hope, but like I said, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Avalanches now may not be the same Avalanches of 2000.

Fucked if I know where my copy is, but I'm downloading it again. I always listen to it with fond memories of Australian summers spent driving my shitbox Celica around the coastline <3

PS. I wish there was a way I could somehow play an Avalanches track or two in a set...
Yarp, that album was a LONG time ago, the new album will probably still be amazingly good but I doubt it will have the same impact they had back in the day. We deserved a well timed follow up :(

Also I love dubstep, just avoid the obvious me-too tunes everyone is putting out.

Favourite artist I found in last 12 months were Ital Tek and FaltyDL. Still love Deadmau5 and Groove Armada came back strong, Warsaw still hasn't gotten worn out for me.

Shaneus

Johnlenham said:
Original of that is epic. Actually saw DIM play locally a year or two ago, yet despite the fact he was in Australia he did NOT play his remix of My People.

Side note: One of my DJ mates could always, without fail, masterfully mix said version of My People into the Crookers remix of Salmon Dance. I'll have to try and recreate it for you all to hear because it always sounded amazing.

Chaplain

Cielo 8th Anniversary - Nicolas Matar, Willie Graff & Desyn Masiello B2B

01. Christian Burkhardt - Stopover Goa
02. Mauro M.B.S - The Philosophy of Dance (Tribal Mix)
03. ID
04. Queen latifah - Set It Off (?? Remix)
05. Dubtribe Sound System - Do It Now (Extended Disco Version)
06. Coldcut Ft. Lisa Stansfield - People Hold On (?? Remix)
07. Empire of The Sun - We Are The People (Crazy P Remix)
08. Moloko - Forever More (Francois K & Eric Kupper Vocal Edit)
09. Laid Back - Cocaine Cool
10. UBQ Project - When I Fell N Love
11. ID - very easy, forgot the name
12. Giorgio Moroder - Utopia
13. Bot'Ox - Blue Steel (Still Going Remix)
14. James Silk vs Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives (Shield Edit)

Stream and Download link:

http://soundcloud.com/nicolas-matar/cielo-8th-anniversary-nicolas

joelseph said:
Congrats man! I never win shit like that!
Ha id give it to you if I could, All my useless as fuck friends cant go, basically everyone I know in fact cant go. Its not close enough that I could even go on my own.
feels-bad-man.jpg

Anyone know of some citys in Canada or the USA with a good music scene, im tired as fuck with England and seeming to be the only person into any form of dance/electro music, and could do with a change :/

If its not top 40 shit or screaming rock metal the people I know dont want to know!

Shaneus said:
Come to Melbourne!
Convince me.
Honestly im home from the pub/bar where they played some shitty top 40's rubbish and the whole time im thinking "I could be in a booming club seeing someone awesome but no im in this crappy dead end town instead" words cannot describe the hate right now haha.
Allways wanted to go to OZ though..

Shaneus

Phil K has several residencies over any one weekend. Awesome festivals. No one genre is popular than the other. Drop dead gorgeous women. Infusion. Cool bars.

It's basically the electronic music capital of Australia.

btkadams

Johnlenham said:
Convince me.
Honestly im home from the pub/bar where they played some shitty top 40's rubbish and the whole time im thinking "I could be in a booming club seeing someone awesome but no im in this crappy dead end town instead" words cannot describe the hate right now haha.
Allways wanted to go to OZ though..
calgary (canada) has a huge electronic scene compared to how it used to be. theres multiple bar choices now if you want electronic (non-top 40 obviously) music all week. i haven't lived in toronto/van/montreal during my electronic loving years so i wouldn't know how they are but i bet they have awesome scenes too. they most likely have much better scenes since they have higher population.

EDIT: we are also home to smalltowndjs

Smithy C

Johnlenham said:
Anyone know of some citys in Canada or the USA with a good music scene, im tired as fuck with England and seeming to be the only person into any form of dance/electro music, and could do with a change :/
There's a few places in the UK into dance/electro, you just have to go looking really hard. Winchester has a place that only plays good dance music, rarely dipping into top 40 stuff. It's pretty okay, but it's also the only place I've found around here.

okno

Johnlenham said:

NYC is an obvious choice, but it's also damn expensive. Blkmarket Membership seems to have a fairly tight grip on big name DJs right now, and they overcharge out of the ass (and the people that frequent those parties are just... weird), which is unfortunate. There's always something going on, though, and you can always find something cheap and interesting. This year is already looking to be a stormer of a year for amazing gigs and parties.

So, I decided to lay low for a minute to practice more and to also bulk up my collection, because I just wasn't producing work that I was extremely happy with, but still wanted to share with people and start to get my name out there a little bit. I made some huge mistakes and was extremely impulsive uploading something without taking the time and effort to make sure it sounded, well, GOOD. I bought myself a MacBook Pro and have just been scouring endlessly for music and sitting in my bed with my mixer and taking the time to really learn the music and how to EQ tracks in and out of each other.

Here's the fruit of my labor. It's a really small mix, just shy of 40mins, but I wanted to make something that was short and sweet and said a lot with only a handful of tracks. It's pure techno, and I hope you guys like it.

http://soundcloud.com/eirikurh/thick

Morphosis - Running Out
D' Marc Cantu - Set Free
False - Act Like Children
Jamie McHugh - Wrong! (KiNK Remix)
Jamie Jones - Summertime (Jones and James Dub Mix)
The Missing Link - The Ditch (Oban Mix)
Ben Klock - Subzero (Sandwell District Mix)
Mount Kimbie - Vertical (SCB Edit)
SCB - Loss

joelseph

C'mon (demo) - Ghostape

ITSalwayzzSUNday@maHAUS (draft) - wrstghst

FACT mix 233: Mele&#769;
Wiley – Treddin On Thin Ice (XL)
Gucci Mane – Gucci Time (Sinden Instrumental) (CDR)
Lloyd Banks – Start It Up Instrumental (Melé Re-Edit) (CDR)
Melé – Popping Tags (Hum & Buzz)
Adam F – Circles (Positiva)
Ruffage Kru – Terminator (Metalheadz)
Gappy Ranks – Stinkin Rich (CDR)
Dubbel Dutch – Make It Clap (CDR)
Lloyd Banks – Beamer Benz Or Bentley Instrumental (EMI)
The Boogaloo Crew – Neon (CDR)
Riffs – Don’t Leave Your Girl Around Me (CDR)
Mensah – The Resistance (CDR)
Ikonika – I Make Lists (forthcoming Hum & Buzz)
Numan – Punch Bag (CDR)
Big Shot – Stomp (Melé Remix) (No Hats No Hoods)
Wiley – Morgue (CDR)
Timbah – Arami (CDR)
Brey – Tru4ncy (CDR)
Mumdance – Smasher (Melé Remix) (Mad Decent)
Roses Gabor & Redlight – Luvsick (CDR)
Zinc – See Clearly (CDR)
So Solid Crew – Fuck Wid Us (Relentless)
Geeneus – Raggo (CDR)
Untitled – Untitled (CDR)
Daniel Bedingfield – Gotta Get Thru This (DND MIX) (Relentless)
Mishal Moore – It Aint Over (Hard House Banton Remix) (CDR)
Fire Camp – Dench Stamina (CDR)
Champion – Lighter (CDR)
Dr Gonzo – Bust Em Out (CDR)
Melé – Mugged (Grizzly)
Electro Pharaoh – The Egyptian Lover (Egyptian Empire)
Major Lazer – Percumajor (Cajual)
Screendeath – Boxtick (CDR)
Dauwd – Ikopol (CDR)
Yonurican – Boriken Soul (Yonurican Club Mix) (Fuego Media)
Diamond Bass – Se Prepara (Enchufada)
Melé – Trappin (Grizzly)
Hashim – Al-Naafyish (The Soul) (Cutting)
Mensah – Off The Trax (Catch That Train) (CDR)
Cybotron – Clear (Fantasy)
LFO – Track 4 (Warp)
Marshall Jefferson – House Music Anthem (Trax)
George Morel – Let’s Groove (Strictly Rhythm)

Nyx

I'm happy that in The Netherlands we have a very big house-scene, during summertime there's a big festival every weekend, and during wintertime there's a shitload of clubs dedicated to house/electronica/techno/whatever in every big city.

I guess if you search hard you could go to a party every night of the week, every week.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shaneus said:
Canada has a decent scene? I'd love to live over there... or even just stay for a short while.

From what I've gathered, Toronto and Montreal are the big ones... Montreal has the MUTEK party (lots of techno), and Toronto is known for the Guvernment, an absolutely massive superclub (saw Armin and Steve Lawler for the first time ever there back in 2002... was about 2 hours too late to see Desyn though).

Yeah I probably shouldn't say the UK sucks or anything just the area I live, I imagine in London there are shit loads of clubs for it but thats over an hour and a half train journey away, not really an option on a night out to then have to sleep rough or stay concious till 7am for the train home!

Just got back from Miami and it was incredible. Instead of going to Ultra a group of friends and I went to shows at Mansion, Surfcomber, Cameo, and the Masquerade Motel Party on a custom built set on the beach.

Got to see, among others:

Digweed, Guetta, Afrojack, Benny Benassi, Pete Tong, Kaskade, Calvin Harris, Atrak, Dirty South, Duck Sauce, and the best of all...

Swedish House Mafia @ Masquerade Motel

Videos from the event:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9BB806E40AB31810

IMG_0421-1024x768.jpg

fanpics.jpeg

27931.jpg

Truly incredible.

-viper-

Banned
So I'm new to this genre of music. What are good albums? I like Daft Punk - Tron and Daft Punk Reconfigured.

Anything similar? :p

btkadams

-viper- said:
So I'm new to this genre of music. What are good albums? I like Daft Punk - Tron and Daft Punk Reconfigured.

Anything similar? :p
Electronic isn't really a genre. It's absolutely massive and has many completely different genres within it.

I think you should probably search around for House, Electro and Techno (yes techno is actually a genre and doesn't just label all electronic songs haha).

If you like Daft Punk and like the remix album, you should check out these record labels and the main artists on them to find more:
Dim Mak Records
Ed Banger Records
Boysnoize Records

Those would be a good start. They are more Electro, House, and Techno stuff.

EDIT: if you want actual artist recommendations to get you started:
• Boys Noize
• Justice
• MSTRKRFT
• The Glitch Mob

okno

btkadams said:
Electronic isn't really a genre. It's absolutely massive and has many completely different genres within it.

I think you should probably search around for House, Electro and Techno (yes techno is actually a genre and doesn't just label all electronic songs haha).

If you like Daft Punk and like the remix album, you should check out these record labels and the main artists on them to find more:
Dim Mak Records
Ed Banger Records
Boysnoize Records

Those would be a good start. They are more Electro, House, and Techno stuff.

EDIT: if you want actual artist recommendations to get you started:
• Boys Noize
• Justice
• MSTRKRFT
• The Glitch Mob
Add:
Shinichi Osawa
Joakim
Mylo
Kaiserdisco
The Knife
Crookers

-viper- said:
What album is good?

Deadmau5 - Random Album Title or For Lack of a Better Name
Daft Punk - Discovery and Alive 2007
Fukkk Offf - Love Me Hate Me Kiss Me Kill Me

See, my problem with albums now is that I'm too used to awesome mixtapes that I want different varieties of tracks one after another. Listen to mixtapes that are listed here, find artists out of those you really like, and investigate. That's my suggestion.

joelseph

joelseph said:
episode15_lolboys-452x452.jpg

LOL Boys – KOTJ Radio Episode 15

01. Boyfriend – Baltoji Varnele Edit (CDR)
02. Munchi – Hope (T&A Records)
03. LOL Boys – Sweet Cinnamon (CDR)
04. Heartbreak – My Grown Man Shit (M4 EP)
05. LOL Boys – Aisle Seat (Forthcoming Discobelle Records)
06. LOL Boys – Runaways (Forthcoming Discobelle Records)
07. LOL Boys ft. Teki Latex – Modern (Forthcoming Truants Records)
08. Destiny’s Child – For Da Girls (K2 Re-Edit) (K2 Edits)
09. Gucci Vump – Shashtilism (Erick Rincon Remix) (CDR)
10. DJ Javier Estrada – Eclipse (CDR)
11. Julius Sylvest – Djemba (CDR)
12. Munchi – Hope (LOL Boys Remix) (Forthcoming T&A Records)
13. 702 – Steelo (LOL Boys & Sinjin Hawke Remix) (CDR)
14. Mackpaye – Fragrance (12-3 Recordings)
15. Waya Waya – Nomada (Self-Release)
16. XXXY – Ordinary Things (Ten Thousand Yen)
17. Deborah Cox – It’s Over (Dubbel Dutch Refix)
18. Art Nouveau & LOL Boys – Air France II (Demento Mori)
19. LOL Boys – Nomads (Forthcoming Cool Records)

This is really good, listened to it a bunch now.

Ill Saint

Aguirre said:
I'd recommend moodymann, but then he is my favourite artist...
Moody's the don. Not sure he's a match for a lot of the tastes in this thread though.

okno said:
Morphosis - Running Out
D' Marc Cantu - Set Free
False - Act Like Children
Jamie McHugh - Wrong! (KiNK Remix)
Jamie Jones - Summertime (Jones and James Dub Mix)
The Missing Link - The Ditch (Oban Mix)
Ben Klock - Subzero (Sandwell District Mix)
Mount Kimbie - Vertical (SCB Edit)
SCB - Loss
Very nice. Diggin' your track choices. Morphosis' album is excellent, and D'Marc Cantu has been putting out some good stuff solo and with 2AM/FM. SD Klock mix is another highlight. Thanks for this.

Top Bottom