• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

okno

Ill Saint said:
Very nice. Diggin' your track choices. Morphosis' album is excellent, and D'Marc Cantu has been putting out some good stuff solo and with 2AM/FM. SD Klock mix is another highlight. Thanks for this.

Thanks dude. I've been going through a huge SD-esque techno phase. SD is spinning tonight, actually, but I can't go because I have to be up really early and can't risk it.

Getting my first residency in a few weeks! It's at this little bar in Brooklyn called LP & Harmony and I'll have free reign to play whatever I want. I'll give the full details when I get them myself!

okno

Hi, yeah, Traktor 2?

Fucking. Amazing. The ability to have two tracks, eight samples, AND a loop going natively with a two-channel mixer is glorious. This is going to save me so much money in the long run. I'm having more fun with this than ever.

Also, let's talk about this: SCB - Loss

daviyoung

Banned
Shaneus said:
Anyone know if Joris Voorn would be any good? Have been invited to go with a few mates but I'm not really familiar with his body of work.

Tech and deep house with a commercial slant. Should be a good time.

Shaneus

I used to use eSnips for uploading mixes (back in the day) and one of my mixes was actually featured on their front page (mix of the week or something?). It's possible that you may actually have that many listens and your mix was featured somewhere. Finger's crossed that's the case :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
okno said:
Thanks dude. I've been going through a huge SD-esque techno phase. SD is spinning tonight, actually, but I can't go because I have to be up really early and can't risk it.

Getting my first residency in a few weeks! It's at this little bar in Brooklyn called LP & Harmony and I'll have free reign to play whatever I want. I'll give the full details when I get them myself!

Awesome... place looks to be pretty close to Barcade too... when you get the details let me know, I'd totally go check it out!

Shaneus said:
Beardyman - Where Does Your Mind Go? (Tom Middleton remix)

Anyone know if Joris Voorn would be any good? Have been invited to go with a few mates but I'm not really familiar with his body of work.

I'm a big fan, especially of his Balance CD and his Essential Mix from 2009. Saw him last year at Electric Zoo (was a big draw for me) and he was pretty good... funky deep/tech house - highlights of his set were him dropping his Beachball remix, and him playing the original mix of Billie Jean. I have a feeling you'll dig him.

joelseph

Aguirre said:
12 years ago.

Plus, he's still relevant.

I don't remember having access to the single on KDJ. I do remember watching him play it in the late 90s though. Such a beautiful time to live in the Midwest, sad to see it come to this.

Currently I don't think Kenny is doing much, Theo is still holding it down though.

Davidion

I'm no scholar, but I'd hate to see a time when somebody like Moodymann is rendered irrelevant.

On that note, Dorian Concept xlr8r mix is sounding pretty damn good.

01 Dorian Concept "Thank You All the Time Forever" (Ninja Tune)
02 John Coltrane "Your Lady" (Impulse)
03 Africa Hitech "Light the Way" (Warp)
04 Machinedrum "gbye"
05 Sam Irl "Safety Hertz (Cid Rim Remix)" (Fresh Minute)
06 FaltyDL "Tell Them Stories" (Planet Mu)
07 Manitoba "Paul's Birthday" (Leaf)
08 Sixtus Preiss & The Clonious "Specimen from Springbing" (Affine)
09 Funboy "Time Hates You"
10 Dorian Concept "Trilingual Dance Sexperience (Live Version)"

djtiesto

Davidion said:
I'm no scholar, but I'd hate to see a time when somebody like Moodymann is rendered irrelevant.

Even though it's anecdotal, I've been hearing a lot more talk in EDM circles of both Moodymann (there's even a deep house artist named "Moodymanc" in "tribute") and Theo these past few years.

FaltyDL is freaking hot.

joelseph

btkadams said:
i'm playing music at a fundraiser/kegger/houseparty on friday. do you think this song is too hard to play in that atmosphere? lol, it's just so badass.

Liu Kang's Theme - Congorock

No not really, save it until everyone is drunk though. Take a look at Hard Ass Sessions, lots of good hard tracks that would go with this.

btkadams

joelseph said:
No not really, save it until everyone is drunk though. Take a look at Hard Ass Sessions, lots of good hard tracks that would go with this.
will do, thanks!

now that the dust has kind of settled (2 days lol). what do people actually think of justice's new song? i honestly don't like it. i think it's cool how it feels more like a band rather than electronic music, but it just seems kind of blah. the hardcore phaser going on throughout the whole song is damn annoying and the actual songwriting seems way less original than their original stuff.

djtiesto

Holy shit but looks like Toolroom has totally taken over Beatport:

toolroom_takeover.jpg

okno

The Beatport charts have always been busted, but god damn! I noticed this happening the week before WMC in Miami, and it's just exploded since!

Kraftwerk

Loscil - Plume

mVc0Q.jpg

Favorite track's:

Track 05 - Chinook

Track 09 - Mistral

Such a good album. Beautifully minimalist. I can almost taste some of the sounds on the tip of my tongue. Definitely my album of the month, unless something else blows me away.

Can anyone recommend me something similar to this? ( Have his other albums )

joelseph

okno said:
The Beatport charts have always been busted, but god damn! I noticed this happening the week before WMC in Miami, and it's just exploded since!

One of the reasons I avoid beatport unless they have a exclusive. I prefer Juno

Nyx

djtiesto said:
Holy shit but looks like Toolroom has totally taken over Beatport:

The only charts I look at are charts of my favorite DJs.

If there aren't any I just browse just added releases.

I actually hate it if a track I buy ends up in the download top 10 a few weeks later. ;)

devenger

Kraftwerk said:
Can anyone recommend me something similar to this? ( Have his other albums )

New to the board and not checking back posts, but I just got some Loscil and liked it quite a bit. Have you heard Kiln or Helios?

joelseph

Just bought my Pitchfork ticket for Friday, seeing James Blake! Funny how he never comes to Chicago and now I am seeing him twice in one month. Thinking about going Sunday to see Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All.

---

I have been super big into a dude that goes by the name Koreless. Got turned onto him by a nice remix of his on a recent Lucky Me release. He easily is in the future group of post-dub warriors, definitively someone to keep an eye on.

Koreless - Away

Jacques Greene - The Look (Koreless)

Alucrid

Banned
joelseph said:
Just bought my Pitchfork ticket for Friday, seeing James Blake! Funny how he never comes to Chicago and now I am seeing him twice in one month. Thinking about going Sunday to see Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All.

---

I have been super big into a dude that goes by the name Koreless. Got turned onto him by a nice remix of his on a recent Lucky Me release. He easily is in the future group of post-dub warriors, definitively someone to keep an eye on.

Koreless - Away

Jacques Greene - The Look (Koreless)

His Boiler Room set is sick. Koreless that is.

joelseph

Alucrid said:
His Boiler Room set is sick. Koreless that is.

downloading it now!

JPAZI.jpg

mixtape011bl.jpg

As we move into double figures for our mixtape series, we invite Glasgow based producer Koreless to join the growing list of talent. Taking a “this is what I’m listening to at the moment” approach, he has delivered a smooth 40 minutes of Jazz for your listening pleasure.

We always say to DJ’s that they are welcome to mix whatever they want, however they want, ensuring that they have complete creative control over the mixtape and all-in-all making for a more forward thinking and varied series. Mixtape 011 is a great example of one of the unpredictable outcomes that this approach can have, with Koreless going on a Jazz vibe that makes for one of the greatest 40+ minutes of music listening to be posted on The Daily Street.

For those that don’t know of Koreless, let me first say, you will do by the end of 2011, that’s for sure! A truly original producer, Lewis (Koreless) is crafting his own niche through his unique sound of melodic Bass Music, having his debut release on Pictures Music, a very successful remix of Jacques Greene, a collab with Sampha in the pipelines (which is amazing by the way) and a forthcoming remix of Ghost Poet – it’s fair to say that Lewis is causing some commotion in the scene. With his debut London booking being at Young Turks, the likes of Gilles Peterson predicting him to be the next James Blake or Ramadanman and a show at this years Outlook festival, it just seems like destiny that Koreless is going to be a household name in no time at all.

I suggest you sit back, make a cup of tea and take the next 40 minutes easy whilst listening to this fantastic mixture of music. A must download for sure.

What approach have you taken for this mix?
“Its just a collection of old and new jazz (ish) that I’ve been into lately.”

Which track or mix is your personal favourite?
“Favorite track would be Tribe – ‘What We need’. Although if i could have got hold of the ‘Roy Brookes’ verson of ‘Eboness’ it would have been that hands down…”

Is style important to you?
“Yeah definitely.”

What brand(s) are you particularly feeling at the moment?
“Really like the Trapstar tee’s and all of the SHhhh ones.”

Tracklist:
01. Young Jazz Rebels – Black Freedom [Stones Throw, 2010]
02. Yusef Lateef – Eboness [Atlantic, 1970]
03. Tribe – What We Need [Tribe Records, 1972]
04. Lloyd Miller – Hue Wail [Jazzman, 2009]
05. Sun Ra – We Travel The Spaceways [Saturn, 1967]
06. Doug Hammond – Wake Up Brothers [Tribe Records, 1975]
07. Doug Hammond – For Real [Tribe Records, 1975]
08. Yesterdays New Quintet – The Horse [Stones Throw, 2005]
09. Pharaoh Sanders – Thembi [Impulse!, 1971]
10. Michael White – The Blessing Song [Impulse!, 1972]
11. Cleaveland Eaton – All Your Lover, All Day, All Night [Black Jazz Records, 1975]
12. Breakestra – Dark Clouds Rain Soul [Strut, 2009]
13. Charles Bradley & Menahan Street Band- Telephone Song [Dunham, 2010]

http://www.thedailystreet.co.uk/2011/03/011-koreless/

btkadams

okno said:
why exactly are they busted? they're the top downloads for that day.

Top Bottom