• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
JustAnotherOtaku said:
So dance-GAF, anyone seen Above & Beyond before? Going to see them tomorrow night, pretty excited!

Plenty of times... they're pretty predictable as DJs - play lots of obvious big room vocal stuff with a few surprises. Expect to hear stuff like "Home", "On A Good Day", "Sun and Moon"... along with a lot of cuts from their label (Anjunabeats/deep). They are good at pumping up the crowd, and there's usually a great vibe during their shows. But they aren't the greatest when it comes to flow and pacing... they lack the progression of someone like AVB, and their beatmatching leaves a bit to be desired. Though trance isn't my genre of choice, I'll admit I had PLUR-gasms during their Electric Zoo performance last year.

I've met Tony from the group a few times, very cool person too.

Ooh, new okno and subrock mixes look HAWT... will make a good soundtrack when I catch up on the Girl/Dating Age part 2 thread all this week... :p

Divius

subrock, that mix is great! Ending with Justice is just awesome. I'll probably play this a bunch of times in the upcoming days of chilling in the sun :)

okno

subrock said:
I actually did in ableton :) I had to sell my turntables and mixer in February but I have a pioneer midi controller that I'm using for gigs now. At very least I'm versatile :)

I'm getting curious about Ableton. I'm having fun with Traktor, but it feels limiting to me. The more I practice, the more I want to start using loops and samples I make myself, and obviously Traktor won't do for that. I'm going to rip the sound from 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf' and use a bunch of really choice pieces of dialog :3

joelseph

okno said:
I'm getting curious about Ableton. I'm having fun with Traktor, but it feels limiting to me. The more I practice, the more I want to start using loops and samples I make myself, and obviously Traktor won't do for that. I'm going to rip the sound from 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf' and use a bunch of really choice pieces of dialog :3

If Traktor is like Serato you can bridge into Abelton, I don't think it works with their 90 day trial though.

subrock

I know I know, it irks the perfectionist in me too :). it was either change it or no soundcloud though, and I couldnt handle that. haha.

okno

subrock said:
I know I know, it irks the perfectionist in me too :). it was either change it or no soundcloud though, and I couldnt handle that. haha.

It's good to know that Yelle won't pass the copyright tracker, haha. I'm in the middle of putting together a mix for a friend, and "Que Veux-tu" and "Chimie Physique" were two songs I was hoping to make the focal points. Ah well! Maybe I can find a way to get around it... Probably not.

subrock

okno said:
It's good to know that Yelle won't pass the copyright tracker, haha. I'm in the middle of putting together a mix for a friend, and "Que Veux-tu" and "Chimie Physique" were two songs I was hoping to make the focal points. Ah well! Maybe I can find a way to get around it... Probably not.
Apparently you can get around it as long it's not the first track, but it's good to have a backup plan

joelseph

New BR is SBTRKT @ Young Turks x SXSW, hoping they put Jamie's set from the same show.

edit-man, sbtrkt is such a technical DJ, his blends are insane

Going to Glastonbury again this year, last year you guys said go see Stanton warriors which had to be the craziest thing id ever seen at the time so I ask again!
Poster-v3f.jpg

link to easier to read part!
Line Up
WOW! has a few people atleast that I know of.

joelseph

Johnlenham said:
Going to Glastonbury again this year, last year you guys said go see Stanton warriors which had to be the craziest thing id ever seen at the time so I ask again!

Jamie XX is miles ahead of the rest of the lineup. Make sure you catch that man's set, and his band if they are playing. And Romy XX if she is playing, and Creep. Basically anything to do with The XX. <3

joelseph said:
Jamie XX is miles ahead of the rest of the lineup. Make sure you catch that man's set, and his band if they are playing. And Romy XX if she is playing, and Creep. Basically anything to do with The XX. <3

I was dragged to see The XX last year (hadn't heard of them)and didn't understand all the fuss, it was just miserable music till I realized two weeks later songs were in my head so I got the album and completely flipped opinion. I had no idea Jamie XX is one of them, just thought it was a coincidence!

okno said:
Wow! Is your best bet at Glastonbury, for sure. Also catch Brandt Brauer & Frick, Nicolas Jaar, Robert Babicz!
Yeah I thought as much.
Kind of pissed off as I want to go to Global gathering but I have a ticket to another festival the same days. I would much rather go to GG but I feel like id be abit of a cock to blow out the other people im going with :/ and the people id go to GG are all into drum and bass so I imagine id be doing it almost solo!

Going to see Miami Horror in may though that should be a treat!

Shaneus

okno said:
Wow! Is your best bet at Glastonbury, for sure. Also catch Brandt Brauer & Frick, Nicolas Jaar, Robert Babicz!
Robert Babicz is awesome. Not sure what he's like live but definitely has some really nice tunes out.

okno

Shaneus said:
Robert Babicz is awesome. Not sure what he's like live but definitely has some really nice tunes out.
I saw him live about two years ago and he killed it. It was in this tiny little basement club in Chicago and there were no more than 25 people there (that should tell you something about the sad state of electronic music there), it was really awesome. Talked to him for five minutes afterwards which was really cool. He's a nice guy.

Shaneus

okno said:
I saw him live about two years ago and he killed it. It was in this tiny little basement club in Chicago and there were no more than 25 people there (that should tell you something about the sad state of electronic music there), it was really awesome. Talked to him for five minutes afterwards which was really cool. He's a nice guy.
They're the best gigs though. One of my favourite ones in my home town was, believe it or not, DONS. Not so much his main gig, but him hanging around the back room with a handful of my industry mates after the place closed, the owner and myself, spinning a few tracks while talking to us inbetween songs.

PS. Surprised to hear that about Chicago, though don't think he quite had the back catalog he has now so I guess it's *kinda* forgivable... maybe.

joelseph

okno said:
It was in this tiny little basement club in Chicago and there were no more than 25 people there (that should tell you something about the sad state of electronic music there)

Yeah my city sucks. =/

Well DJ Hero 2 put me on Deadmau5, listening to Intelstat and I recognized the sample from Ghost in the Shell, which is pretty cool. Anyway my favorite songs so far are I Remember (Vocal mix), Alone with You, Brazil (2nd Edit), Arguru and T17.

Shaneus

So, just come back from Creamfields Melbourne. Here's my thoughts (in order of appearance, more or less):
Tonight Only: Played remixes of their older remixes, few new tracks. Nothing amazing but not disappointing.
Dada Life: Fucking rocked it. Probably the highlight of the day, just managed to play some filthy (but really dance-able) electro. Their remix of Hello (and their banana/champagne shenanigans) went down beautifully.
Solveig: Did NOTHING interesting at all. None of the earlier house that I loved him for (remember this?) and even played some skrillstep. Uninspiring.
Nadastrom: Played some really good left-of-centre 4x4 electro with a deep/quirky twist (and an extreme overdose of air-raid sirens). Worked a room really well and the system sounded perfect. Close behind Dada Life for best-on-ground but got a little monotonous at times.
Chuckie: Bland MoS-esque squelchy fluoro-electro. Similar vibe to Solveig.
Skrillex: Filthy set with some evil visuals and his goth-nerdism all out in full swing. Played exactly what I was expecting so I wasn't disappointed, but I was over it fairly quickly.
Deadmau5: Great production, decent music (but too much yawny ambient stuff that creeps into his music every-so-often) and yeah... the LED helmet was tres cool. Not quite as entertaining as Richie Hawtin's (or Daft Punks, obv.) live set but it was still a bit of fun. Unfortunately didn't get to hear this (easily my favourite of his tracks) but being a remix and not an original, wasn't surprised. Played some skrillstep as well.

Overall, good day... not great but was without incident and got to catch up with some awesome peeps which always makes any fest worthwhile :)

SlaughterX said:
Well DJ Hero 2 put me on Deadmau5, listening to Intelstat and I recognized the sample from Ghost in the Shell, which is pretty cool. Anyway my favorite songs so far are I Remember (Vocal mix), Alone with You, Brazil (2nd Edit), Arguru and T17.
I like those songs too (especially the bolded). Check out Orca also.

Is there a way in iTunes to get a text file that is a report of all songs/artists in a playlist? I have an awesome dance playlist that I wanna show you guys, but I don't want to individually write out all ~100 songs.

Shaneus

Oh, message to my flying internet monkeys (aka you guys): Please find me a copy of this that's clean. Heard it on the Dusty Kid EM and was staggered with how good it's come out. Just insanely good and LISTENABLE.

Ashhong

Do you guys listen to trance yet?!
KuGsj.gif
I want people to talk about trance with, but nobody in here does.

Arty is one of my favorite artists out there right now. Dude is killing every single song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoIweo016n8

daviyoung

Banned
Ashhong said:
Do you guys listen to trance yet?! I want people to talk about trance with, but nobody in here does.

Trance was my gateway genre in the late 90s. Space Brothers, Matt Darey/Lost Tribe, Salt Tank, Humate, Pete Lazonby, Max Graham, Saints and Sinners and a lot of Belgian trance like DJ Fire, Mr Sam etc...

Haven't listened to it since Markus Schulz, Above and Beyond and Armin van Buuren became the go-to guys, and I think the genre went to shit so I'd like to talk about it, but I haven't a clue any more.

Ashhong

daviyoung said:
Trance was my gateway genre in the late 90s. Space Brothers, Matt Darey/Lost Tribe, Salt Tank, Humate, Pete Lazonby, Max Graham, Saints and Sinners and a lot of Belgian trance like DJ Fire, Mr Sam etc...

Haven't listened to it since Markus Schulz, Above and Beyond and Armin van Buuren became the go-to guys, and I think the genre went to shit so I'd like to talk about it, but I haven't a clue any more.

Well, I'd like to talk about what others are listening to and get suggestions but this works too. Why do you think it went to shit? I honestly was not big into trance until last year so I'm clueless about what the scene was like before then.

I'm curious to know why Armin, A&B and Schulz would make you not like it though. Do you like the Arty song I linked?

Max Graham still makes epic shit. This is maybe my favorite trance track since listening to this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9pX1tTAGzs

I dont know if you would like it, since it has the more modern trance style I guess.

daviyoung

Banned
Just listening to The Wall, it's got a good beat but I'm not a huge fan of the singing. When I stopped listening to trance the scene was full of quite fluffy 'epic' trance and I missed the deep bass and the percs of the earlier stuff. I think the only modern trance tunes I liked were in the same vein as Maor Levi and Gabriel and Dresden, and even that's really old now.

Max Graham went that way as well, compare something like Airtight or Sepia to his remix of Filo and Peri or Does She Know Yet. I'm glad trance is still accessible, because it's fun rave music but it sounds too poppy to me these days.

I went from trance > progressive house > tech/minimal house and have found my calling. Guess I favor the funkier, deeper grooves over the skyline synths.

What did you listen to before trance? Just out of curiosity.

Keep listening man, there's not enough love for trance in the world.

Ashhong

daviyoung said:
Just listening to The Wall, it's got a good beat but I'm not a huge fan of the singing. When I stopped listening to trance the scene was full of quite fluffy 'epic' trance and I missed the deep bass and the percs of the earlier stuff. I think the only modern trance tunes I liked were in the same vein as Maor Levi and Gabriel and Dresden, and even that's really old now.

Max Graham went that way as well, compare something like Airtight or Sepia to his remix of Filo and Peri or Does She Know Yet. I'm glad trance is still accessible, because it's fun rave music but it sounds too poppy to me these days.

I went from trance > progressive house > tech/minimal house and have found my calling. Guess I favor the funkier, deeper grooves over the skyline synths.

What did you listen to before trance? Just out of curiosity.

Keep listening man, there's not enough love for trance in the world.

Ah, I see, that fluffy "epic" sound is my favorite. Love the feeling that I get from it, and Arty does it the best with his drops. I think you would like Simon Patterson, who is pretty hard trance with some deep bass. Or how about this song? It's a little less trance, but really awesome drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEnv94ilOlc

Ignore the singing, I do.

I went from breakbeats like 7 years ago to hip-hop to trance + kpop + anything else thats good now. But I enjoy alot of different styles of EDM, just not the type that you guys seem to be posting in here. Love trance and progressive house. Also really liking Avicii right now. Not sure exactly what genre he fits in.

okno

o_o

Starting next week, I will be DJing at Gold Bar in Manhattan.

goldbar_1.299142736_std.jpg

I can barely find any information on it, except that it's all gold inside and drinks cost $17.

I don't think this is exactly my kind of place, but a gig's a gig!

joelseph: that Ruby track is hot!

Re: Trance: Oy. My history with it is much like Daviyoung. Started out listening to lots of trance and progressive house and just gradually moved from there to tech-house, then minimal, then deep house, and have now settled into the "anything deep, funky, groovy, and weird" genre. I left trance on the side of the road a loooooong time ago. I still enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I don't own a single trance track. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, definitely. Love going to a trance show.

A couple of months ago, after seeing Peter van Hoesen spin, a couple of friends and I went back to our friend's loft and spent a good four hours seeing who could play the cheesiest trance song, haha.

Chaplain

okno said:
Trance: Oy. My history with it is much like Daviyoung. Started out listening to lots of trance and progressive house and just gradually moved from there to tech-house, then minimal, then deep house, and have now settled into the "anything deep, funky, groovy, and weird" genre. I left trance on the side of the road a loooooong time ago. I still enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I don't own a single trance track. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, definitely. Love going to a trance show.

Check out both of these sets.

7 Skies - Anjunabeats Worldwide 206 2010.12.26

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=881QWRUC

01. Stephen J. Kroos - Reprefusion
02. Craving - Never Alone
03. Boom Jinx and Andrew Bayer vs. Trifonic And Matt Lange - Quadcore (Original Mix)
04. Super8 & Tab vs Deadmau5 - Empire (7 Skies Bootleg) ???
05. Michael Cassette - Memories (90's Piano Mix)
06. Sunny Lax - PUMA (Mat Zo Remix)
07. Miguel Bose - Por Ti (Above & Beyond Remix)
08. Reminder feat. Cathy Burton - Love To Hold (Original Mix)
09. Mat Zo - Synapse Dynamics (Arty Remix)
10. ID - ID
11. Dan Stone - Harvest Moon (7 Skies Remix)
12. Activa Pres Solar Movement - Indigo (Original Mix)
13. Juventa - Beauty Catch
14. Arty - Zara (Original Mix)
15. Daniel Kandi - Promised (Emotional Mix)
16. Juventa - Sundesire (Sunny Lax Remix)
17. Nitrous Oxide - Downforce (Orient Mix)
18. Ronski Speed feat. Ana Criado - B Sigh
19. Super8 & Tab feat. Julie Thompson - My Enemy (Club Mix)

Oliver Smith - Anjunabeats Worldwide 221 2011.04.10

http://www.fileserve.com/file/C4KU8UY

01. Tom Middleton - Gliding
02. Rodskeez - Incada (Solarity Remix)
03. Rodskeez - Incada (Inkfish Remix)
04. Lost Witness - Red Sun Rising (Michael Cassette Remix)
05. Jaytech - Paradox
06. Aalto - Resoltion (Daniel Kandi's Solution Mix)
07. Cressida - Heart On My Sleeve (Kyau & Albert Remix)
08. Bodytemp - Kalm (Eelke Kleijn Remix)
09. Matt Lange - Rift (Andrew Bayer Remix)
10. Matt Zo - Superman
11. Norin & Rad vs Recurve - The Gift
12. Cressida pres Callisto - Origami
13. Jason Van Wyk & Audien - Someday (First State Remix)
14. Arty & Mat Zo - Rebound
15. Gareth Emery - El Segundo (Arty Remix)
16. Temple One - Zebra (Nuera Remix)
17. Vadim Yershov - Cottage Industry - (Dave Angel Remix)
18. Gareth Emery - Full Tilt (Beltek Remix)
19. Lange pres LNG - Harmony Will Kick You In The Ass
20. Garrido & Skeham - Miami at Midnight (Bissen Remix)
21. Rex Mundi - Valley of Dreams

Both sets feature multiple styles of music that I think you will enjoy.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
okno said:
o_o

Starting next week, I will be DJing at Gold Bar in Manhattan.

goldbar_1.299142736_std.jpg

I can barely find any information on it, except that it's all gold inside and drinks cost $17.

I don't think this is exactly my kind of place, but a gig's a gig!

joelseph: that Ruby track is hot!

Re: Trance: Oy. My history with it is much like Daviyoung. Started out listening to lots of trance and progressive house and just gradually moved from there to tech-house, then minimal, then deep house, and have now settled into the "anything deep, funky, groovy, and weird" genre. I left trance on the side of the road a loooooong time ago. I still enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I don't own a single trance track. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, definitely. Love going to a trance show.

A couple of months ago, after seeing Peter van Hoesen spin, a couple of friends and I went back to our friend's loft and spent a good four hours seeing who could play the cheesiest trance song, haha.

I did something like this:
80's freestyle/synthpop -> 80's metal -> grunge/alternative -> eurodance -> house (especially disco-house) -> trance -> UK garage -> prog -> prog-breaks -> tech-house/minimal (this was a very rough transition for me) -> deep house/nu-disco/funk (where I'm at now). Still try and listen to whatever prog house I can get my hands on, but the genre hasn't been nearly as interesting to me as it was in the early 2000's (would always consider the Twilo and Delta Heavy era of Sasha and Digweed to be my favorite music ever).

I still consider this the greatest trance track ever made

joelseph

New Foolscast from Chad Hugo (N.E.R.D) has a sick sick track to start.

No Planes In Space – Chains (Demo Mix)

Have to peep the cast to catch the track.

Top Bottom