• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

what's annoying is his album isn't out till Friday is it? where as I want it now to have to listen to on the journey down to the festival :(

dsp

hateradio said:
So I'm here asking for some recommendations similar to it. Anything that's bass/break-beat is welcome. Ah, and I am also fascinated in hearing some more 90's jungle, too. Albums recommendations are preferable, no YouTube links required, since I like albums instead of individual tracks.

That's kind of a problem since most jungle was released on vinyl in a two track form. You're limiting yourself to a very small selection. With that said, here are some compilations I think are worth checking out.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Junglism/master/45235
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Dub-Plate-Selection-Volume-1/release/47757
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Desert-Storm-Presents-Hardstep-Drum-Bass-Volume-One/release/284075
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Dese...esents-Ragga-Jungle-Volume-One/release/640983

And now some youtube links for you, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HstBIbdK-bc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeCFPsClYyk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-OrfUwVjIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMrE85eqqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X136K031m4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIwC5Ad61x8

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
a posh hammer said:
talking about oldschool stuff, has this been posted? http://www.afropop.org/radio/radio_program/ID/826

a radio show on the history of chicago house and detroit techno. i knew most of the story, but the interviews and stuff are pretty cool. also explains the reason why house is getupanddance, where techno is more introspective (at least at their roots)

Listening to the radio show now... the whole Chicago connection is pretty cool... Obama also christened the street where the Warehouse once existed as "Frankie Knuckles Way" interestingly enough. I thought that was pretty cool (pic of Obama and Frankie Knuckles, aka the "Godfather of House")

1485548134_m.jpg

If you're interested in oldskool Chicago House/Detroit Techno, go search for "The New Dance Show" on youtube. It's an old Detroit public access show, kind of like a very low budget "The Grind"/"Soul Train" with much more of a focus on early house and techno. The dancing and dress is really early 90's in style too.

joelseph

Johnlenham said:
what's annoying is his album isn't out till Friday is it? where as I want it now to have to listen to on the journey down to the festival :(

It is being streamed, you could record audio out. Wouldn't be the best quality but it would work.

Davidion

AcridMeat said:
Picked up the album, it's fantastic!

Faster than me! Now I have to get on that.

joelseph said:
If you digging the London sounds subscribe to the Boiler Room podcast. Never disappoints!

Gonna check that out ASAP

Ashhong said:
I'm a big fan of cheese (which is why I always feel left out here :() Here are some more cheesey and awesome Avicii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJPp5JhkeEY

Noted, thanks for that.

leadbelly said:
UK HARDCORE

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_856QJgO8yo

Ashhong

Anybody here use Traktor 2? I'm having trouble with mine. For some reason its not detecting the BPM of my songs correctly. And even when it does detect the BPM, its still wrong.

For example, one of my songs it detected to be 111bpm, which just cant be right. VirtualDJ detected the same song to be 125bpm.

Another example, I played the same song, detected as 128bpm in both programs and they were different. Either Traktor was playing it too fast or VirtualDJ was playing it too slow. I am more inclined to believe Traktor was too fast.

Any ideas?

okno

Ashhong said:
Anybody here use Traktor 2? I'm having trouble with mine. For some reason its not detecting the BPM of my songs correctly. And even when it does detect the BPM, its still wrong.

For example, one of my songs it detected to be 111bpm, which just cant be right. VirtualDJ detected the same song to be 125bpm.

Another example, I played the same song, detected as 128bpm in both programs and they were different. Either Traktor was playing it too fast or VirtualDJ was playing it too slow. I am more inclined to believe Traktor was too fast.

Any ideas?

I've had this issue with Traktor since I started using it, but it has happened to me FAR less frequently since upgrading to T2. This usually always happens with songs with long intros with few beats. I'm pretty sure Traktor's BPM detector doesn't scan the entire track, and only does the first few beats, which can cause this discrepancy. Do you have a mac or PC? I'm on a mac, and use Mixmeister BPM Analyzer anytime Traktor fucks up. You'll have to use the program to find the true BPM and then go back into Traktor and edit them each by hand. The other way to fix it is to place your beat grids, but that's time consuming and I always seem to mess things up, even when following detailed guides, so do that if you feel confident.

Joelseph said:
I am not a Traktor user so I have no advice but what do you need BPM for?

If you use sync, having improper BPMs will fuck shit up, hard. I don't use sync (anymore), but having BPMs for all your songs makes it easier to keep the pace going and whatnot. I've got 2600 songs, I can't remember all of them by myself :p

Ashhong

okno said:
I've had this issue with Traktor since I started using it, but it has happened to me FAR less frequently since upgrading to T2. This usually always happens with songs with long intros with few beats. I'm pretty sure Traktor's BPM detector doesn't scan the entire track, and only does the first few beats, which can cause this discrepancy. Do you have a mac or PC? I'm on a mac, and use Mixmeister BPM Analyzer anytime Traktor fucks up. You'll have to use the program to find the true BPM and then go back into Traktor and edit them each by hand. The other way to fix it is to place your beat grids, but that's time consuming and I always seem to mess things up, even when following detailed guides, so do that if you feel confident.

If you use sync, having improper BPMs will fuck shit up, hard. I don't use sync (anymore), but having BPMs for all your songs makes it easier to keep the pace going and whatnot. I've got 2600 songs, I can't remember all of them by myself :p

I use Traktor2 on my PC but my friend let me try it on his mac and my same song files are just fine on there. Like I said though, even when I set the BPM to 128 on Traktor2, the song STILL plays differently than at 128BPM on VirtualDJ. So it doesn't even help if I manually set the correct BPM. Pretty annoying really. I'm a really basic user so I need things like BPM and sync to work for me.

I just want to make a mix for my carride to EDC :( I would use VirtualDJ but the program freakin gives me static noise in the middle of my set for some reason, as if the quality of the track goes bad. Must be some issue with my PC or something..

okno

Ashhong said:
I use Traktor2 on my PC but my friend let me try it on his mac and my same song files are just fine on there. Like I said though, even when I set the BPM to 128 on Traktor2, the song STILL plays differently than at 128BPM on VirtualDJ. So it doesn't even help if I manually set the correct BPM. Pretty annoying really. I'm a really basic user so I need things like BPM and sync to work for me.

I just want to make a mix for my carride to EDC :( I would use VirtualDJ but the program freakin gives me static noise in the middle of my set for some reason, as if the quality of the track goes bad. Must be some issue with my PC or something..

Oh, sorry, glossed over that part. That's really, really weird. As for the static noise on Virtual DJ, I used to get that with my mixer on Traktor 3.4, and it has to do with your sample rates. Using my mixer with Traktor at 41000 produced that awful noise, but raising it to 48000 fixed it. You need to change the settings on your ASIO4ALL and then go back into Virtual DJ and change it there, too. That should fix it. If it doesn't, it could be something as simple as having WIFI turned on on your computer. There's a lot of trial and error when doing digital DJing.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
leadbelly said:
lol

I didn't read all of what you said. :)

I know there is a Mix CD from DJ Ricky Worden. You won't really find proper albums unless you search for more mainstream groups like 'The Prodigy'. Their early stuff is pretty much like that. A lot of the tracks you will hear on those mixes though are more underground. They only really exist on vinyl.

Your best bet is to find modern mix CDs that are old skool mixes.
That's fine, I listened to almost all the links. I've bookmarked several things.

joelseph said:
I personally like Hazyville better. :p

I've listened to Kode9, but not the other three.

dsp said:
Thanks, some of these songs are good. I've also bookmarked them. I'll check out the comps.

joelseph said:
BR#49 John Rust b2b Reecha
http://boilerroom.tv/jon-rust-reechas-50-min-mix/

This mix is CRAZY good. They go off towards the end, bananas.
I really like the little bit of horns he uses at the start.

Nyx

Just a few more days....

13:00 - 15:00: Kyle Hall
15:00 - 17:00: Luciano
17:00 - 18:00: Vitalic (Live) or Reboot (Live)
18:00 - 19:00: Ricardo Villalobos
19:00 - 20:30: Laurent Garnier
20:30 - 21:15: Margot (Live)
21:15 - 22:30: Adam Beyer or Marco Carola or Ben Sims

599850.jpg

Chaplain

Gabriel & Dresden at Electric Daisy Carnival (Dallas, USA) (2011.06.18)

01. Gabriel & Dresden feat. Molly Bancroft vs. Arty & Mat Zo - Let It Zo (Gabriel & Dresden Mashup)
02. ID
03. Calvin Harris - Awooga (Original Mix)
04. Motorcycle - As The Rush comes (Kue Remix)
05. Benny Benassi featuring Gary Go - Cinema (Laidback Luke Remix vs. Skrillex Remix)
06. Clashback vs. Michael Woods vs. R.E.M. - Losing My Outset (Gabriel & Dresden Mashup)
07. ID
08. Winter Kills - Deep down (Josh Gabriel Remix)
09. Mumford and Son's - Little Lion Man (Sander van Doorn Remix)
10. Andain - Promises (Gabriel and Dresden Remix)
11. Gabriel and Dresden vs. Fedde Le Grand - Dust In The Control Room (Gabriel and Dresden Mashup)
12. ID vs. Gabriel and Dresden featuring Molly Bancroft - Tracking treasure down (Acapella)
13. Arty and Mat Zo - Rebound (Edit)
14. Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit (Myon and Shane 54 Remix)
15. Gabriel and Dresden featuring Jan Burton - Dangerous Power (Original Mix)
16. Sied van Riel and Radion 6 - Radiator (Original Mix)
17. Above and Beyond featuring Zoe Johnston - No one on earth (Gabriel and Dresden Remix)

Stream & Download link:

http://soundcloud.com/davedresden/gabriel-dresden-live-at-1

djtiesto

Ashhong said:

I've had that problem with Virtual DJ as well.. it's a latency issue. Try turning off "Safe Mode" in the settings. Also make sure you're using the latest VDJ and there are no driver/USB configuration errors.

Ashhong

Cool thanks I messed with some settings and got it to work. I made this really quick and dirty mix for my EDC car trip. I know a lot of you will hate the songs but thought I'd post it anyway. A lot of ibiza house because I'm incredibly psyched for Avicii live, and some high energy trance. Enjoy! or not, whatever =P

http://www.zshare.net/download/91816091f78ea6cd/

Avicii - Penguin
Above & Beyond - Thing Called Love (Extended Radio Mix)
Dune - Heiress of Valentina (Alesso Remix)
Avicii - Levels
Armin Van Buuren Feat. Laura V - Drowning (Avicii Remix)
ATB With Dash Berlin - Apollo Road
Robyn - Hang With Me (Avicii Remix)
Junior Caldera Feat. Sophie Ellis Bextor - Can't Fight This Feeling (Avicii Remix)
Craig Connelly - Absolute Electric (Tritonal Remix)
Markus Schulz Feat. Jennifer Rene - Not The Same (Carlo Resoort Remix)
Andain vs. Alesso vs. Nadia Ali, Starkillers, Alex Kenji - The Pressures of Promises (Photik Mashup)
Swedish House Mafia - Save The World (Alesso Remix)
Daft Punk - Derezzed (Avicii Remix)

joelseph

DominoKid said:
Your task should you choose to accept it is to recommend me more artists like James Blake and SBTRKT

similar djs - Jamie XX, Ben UFO, Blawan, Joe, Dark Sky, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Girl Unit, Jacques Greene, Jamie Grind, Jay Weed, Ramadanman, Bok Bok,

AcridMeat

Banned
Not sure how many of you have checked out the turntable.fm thread, but it's pretty fun! Would be cool to get a bunch of the electronic GAF in a room to share music.

edit: That said, in this room right now.

edit2: Apparently it's restricted to the US, boo.

Nyx

Shaneus said:
Ah, that sucks. I felt the same when I saw Lifelike play. So fucking below par it was ridiculous. I felt sorry for him.

Vitalic was just playing his own tracks but with way too many FX.

A journalist described it as ''eating a 5 course menu in fifteen minutes'', and I actually like that comment. ;)

Also saw Kyle Hall (played lots of old sounding techno, not my cup of tea), Jeff Mils (too monotone as usual), a small part of Villalobos (ok to meh), Marco Carola (great), PET Duo & Miss Djax (hardtechno, fun and doable for 20 minutes), and finished with Speedy J. (awesome)

Lots of rain though, so a lot of mud on the terrain, but we had a great time nonetheless.

djtiesto

okno said:
Uhh. Tiger & Woods' debut album is brain meltingly good.

Not at all surprised! I still need to order "Alone on the Green EP" on vinyl. Really wish we got a digital release of that one.

Mine's not getting shipped out from Amazon til mid July :(

djtiesto

Nyx said:
Vitalic was just playing his own tracks but with way too many FX.

A journalist described it as ''eating a 5 course menu in fifteen minutes'', and I actually like that comment. ;)

Also saw Kyle Hall (played lots of old sounding techno, not my cup of tea), Jeff Mils (too monotone as usual), a small part of Villalobos (ok to meh), Marco Carola (great), PET Duo & Miss Djax (hardtechno, fun and doable for 20 minutes), and finished with Speedy J. (awesome)

Lots of rain though, so a lot of mud on the terrain, but we had a great time nonetheless.

Marco Carola really impressed me when I saw him last year at Electric Zoo. Not at all what I expected, played some great techno and tech house with some actual melody and funk.

Got back from Glastonbury yesterday and I feel like fucking death warmed up.

Managed to see SBTRKT from the front row and it was awesome apart from the dickhead people who kept asking me if it was JamieXX (who was one next and also really good)

The DJ's that came on between the main sets even played Adele + Jamie XX f. Ce'cile, Mr. Lexx and Timberlee, "Rolling in the Heat (The Heatwave Refix)" Which I thought was amazing!

Ended up seeing:
Trollysnatcha
Dj Fresh
the last four songs of Caspa
Netsky
Flux Pavillion
Sbrtrkt
JamieXX
Nero
Chemical Brothers
Stanton Warriors
Dirtyphonics
Toddla T
Chase and Status
Pendulum
Cameo and Krooked
Modestep
London Electricity

And a few others!

I don't know why I haven't posted more in this thread?! I listen to a lot of things but I spin UK Hardcore/D&B and Dubstep (Yeah yeah I know the last one). I've made the switch to CDJ's but I'm keeping my vinyl as I've got a LOT of classic tracks that where hard to find.

joelseph

Mattlikewhoa said:
I don't know why I haven't posted more in this thread?! I listen to a lot of things but I spin UK Hardcore/D&B and Dubstep (Yeah yeah I know the last one). I've made the switch to CDJ's but I'm keeping my vinyl as I've got a LOT of classic tracks that where hard to find.

Get Serato and keep rocking that vinyl!

joelseph

http://boilerroom.tv/ben-ufo-b2b-jackmaster-b2b-oneman-1st-birthday-mix/

If this mix had it's levels right or if Asbo would just stfu for two seconds it would be amazing! So many good tracks in there to ID but you won't be able to make it through more than one listen.

Stuff like this: Janet Jackson - Pleasure Principle (Unknown Remix) is lost behind MC Abso who is too loud on this recording.

I am trying to find the ID for the track coming out of the Cocaine Power mashup, It's Ben on the decks, he wheels into the track and then Abso and crowd go bonkers and get a rewind. From there the audio quality is so bad I struggle to figure out what this track is, all I know is it is glorious.

Anyways, if you can stomach an excited MC that is too loud and want to find the hottest of hot tracks listen to this 3 hour monster.

joelseph said:
Get Serato and keep rocking that vinyl!

I've thought about it, used my friend's setup and it works well but I'm looking to downsize my setup (and cash out while people are going nuts over Mint tech's). I'm looking at using Traktor Scratch Duo 2.

EDIT:

Is this where DJ GAF likes to hang out?

okno

Mattlikewhoa said:
I've thought about it, used my friend's setup and it works well but I'm looking to downsize my setup (and cash out while people are going nuts over Mint tech's). I'm looking at using Traktor Scratch Duo 2.

EDIT:

Is this where DJ GAF likes to hang out?
I find Traktor to be the better program, overall, but everyone is different. It's all down to preference, really, but I feel that they are much more similar now with the release of Traktor 2. Traktor just gives you more options in terms of effects right out of the box. I don't be a lot of experience with Serato, but Traktor, to me, has a better layout. I do believe Serato's DVS is a little more reliable than Traktor's, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Traktor also works amazingly well with a simple, compatible controller. You can save a ton of money and space and still do most of the things you can do with vinyl that way.

joelseph

Serato enabled mixers can bridge into Ableton, can Traktor do that? don't have lots of experience with it.

The problem with the controller is you have to know how to play the wheels at shows. As long as you are comfortable across all formats though you should be good.

Top Bottom