• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Alucrid

Banned
joelseph said:
http://boilerroom.tv/ben-ufo-b2b-jackmaster-b2b-oneman-1st-birthday-mix/

If this mix had it's levels right or if Asbo would just stfu for two seconds it would be amazing! So many good tracks in there to ID but you won't be able to make it through more than one listen.

Stuff like this: Janet Jackson - Pleasure Principle (Unknown Remix) is lost behind MC Abso who is too loud on this recording.

I am trying to find the ID for the track coming out of the Cocaine Power mashup, It's Ben on the decks, he wheels into the track and then Abso and crowd go bonkers and get a rewind. From there the audio quality is so bad I struggle to figure out what this track is, all I know is it is glorious.

Anyways, if you can stomach an excited MC that is too loud and want to find the hottest of hot tracks listen to this 3 hour monster.

So right. I hope a list of tracks pops up somewhere.

okno said:
I find Traktor to be the better program, overall, but everyone is different. It's all down to preference, really, but I feel that they are much more similar now with the release of Traktor 2. Traktor just gives you more options in terms of effects right out of the box. I don't be a lot of experience with Serato, but Traktor, to me, has a better layout. I do believe Serato's DVS is a little more reliable than Traktor's, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Traktor also works amazingly well with a simple, compatible controller. You can save a ton of money and space and still do most of the things you can do with vinyl that way.

I've messed around with the S4 and the controller from Denon (I believe) at a local shop. I do like the fact that you can remix and and a LOT to your sets, but I can't get over the feel of controller units. I am not a fan of the small jog wheels...

Shaneus

FWIW, I use Serato with two CDJ-1000mk3's... mainly because I prefer the more cut-down interface of Scratch Live with minimal effects. Stems from the fact that I prefer to (and would rather watch sets from DJs that) concentrate on putting awesome music together rather than creating something new out of an existing track. Case in point, Sven Vath.

okno

Shaneus said:
FWIW, I use Serato with two CDJ-1000mk3's... mainly because I prefer the more cut-down interface of Scratch Live with minimal effects. Stems from the fact that I prefer to (and would rather watch sets from DJs that) concentrate on putting awesome music together rather than creating something new out of an existing track. Case in point, Sven Vath.
True, I do appreciate that about Serato. It really forces you to learn the basics. I find mixing to be a lot more fun and satisfying when you blend two songs together seamlessly versus throwing a bunch of delay/flanger/filter into the mix. Learning how to EQ in and out of songs is waaaaay more important than anything else, that is, after all, how it was originally done. Each year brings new advances and new possibilities, but they mean nothing if you can't do the basics.

As for controllers: the S4 becomes a far better controller once you learn Traktor completely. Being able to utilize the sample deck and the loop recorder on the fly becomes a ton of fun once you understand it. I don't have one myself, but I'm saving up for one. Regardless, the certainly don't replace vinyl. As much as I wish to spin purely vinyl, I simply don't have the space for, so, as such, controllers like the S4 become my next best choice.

Shaneus

okno said:
True, I do appreciate that about Serato. It really forces you to learn the basics. I find mixing to be a lot more fun and satisfying when you blend two songs together seamlessly versus throwing a bunch of delay/flanger/filter into the mix. Learning how to EQ in and out of songs is waaaaay more important than anything else, that is, after all, how it was originally done. Each year brings new advances and new possibilities, but they mean nothing if you can't do the basics.
Spot on. I'm sure I could start playing around with hot loops, effects and that sort of thing (like I've seen people do with Traktor) but I'm concerned I'd focus less on the music I'm playing and more on which one would be more fun to chop up. Plus, I'm of the school of thought that the reason I'd play a song (and the reason it was produced the way it was) should stay close to the original, save for the occasional EQ drop or echo.[/QUOTE]
Fusebox said:
You kids with your fandangled CDJs! :p
It's about as high-tech as I'll go right now! If I had my way, I'd still be using my Denon DN-2500F :(

Actually, I'd love to be playing around with turntables but I just don't have the room... and the benefit from using those with Serato to using CDJs (for what I use it for... no scratching) is non-existent.

Fusebox said:
You kids with your fandangled CDJs! :p

Funny you mentioned that. I just bought a CDJ 1000 MK3 a few days ago. It was new in the box and it was cheap enough that I couldn't walk away from the deal. Now I have to find a second one to complete my setup (For now, I still need a new mixer).

joelseph said:
It's funny, if you use CDJs with no serato now you are considered old school!

HAHA This is soo true...Imagine actually buring CDs?!?!

So DJ gaf (well electronic music gaf), what are some sites you like to buy music from?

So far I've been using Beatport, IMO and Trackitdown. Is there other sites that I should be hitting up?

Shaneus

djtiesto said:
OH MY GOD... "Encore Un Fois", "Stay", and "Mysterious Times" were huuuuuge for me back in the day. Enjoy that show, it definitely does look fucking awesome.
Not forgetting Adelante and Ecuador ;)

It's actually on the same night as another guy I want to see... anyone able to give me any info on Henry Saiz? He's down here promoting Balance 019 about 10m away from Sash! I reckon the nostalgia value as well as everyone vibing on ultra-old school tunes would be better, but I don't know...

joelseph

“Sweet fingers sobre el vinilo” Toner (pasó anteriormente por Neonized) nos manda un mixtape taaaan sutil que no te das cuenta de que sí, en efecto, va in crescendo. Poquito a poco, pero mira mira cómo sube. El tracklist ya augura buenas sensaciones, no?

http://soundcloud.com/tonerbcn/new-lombra-mixtape-jun-2011

Tracklists después del “más”

Toner Mixtape Tracklist

01 Shed – … Can’t Feel It.
02 The Weeknd – The Morning
03 Boddika – Soul What
04 Jamie XX – Far Nearer
05 Egyptrixx – Naples
06 Kelis – Brave (Dark Sky Remix)
07 SCB – Loss
08 Joy Orbison – Ladywell
09 Julio Bashmore – Ask Yourself
10 Jacques Greene – (Baby I Don’t Know) What You Want
11 Krystal Klear – Tried For Your Love (Hudson Mohawke Remix)
12 KiNK & Neville Watson – Metropole
13 Hackman – Made Up My Mind
14 T. Williams – Heartbeat (Paul Woolford Rewurq)
15 Amel Larrieux – Tell Me (George Fitzgerald Remix)
16 Deadboy – Ain’t Gonna Lie
17 Pearson Sound – Blanked
18 Scuba – Glance
19 James Drake – Measure It All

joelseph

Alucrid said:
Speaking of Jacques Greene his remix of Radiohead's Lotus Flower is incredible.

Yes it is. Caribou's was a miss for me. I have so much love for Jacques. He is so old school, he just oozes vibes.

okno

joelseph said:
“Sweet fingers sobre el vinilo” Toner (pasó anteriormente por Neonized) nos manda un mixtape taaaan sutil que no te das cuenta de que sí, en efecto, va in crescendo. Poquito a poco, pero mira mira cómo sube. El tracklist ya augura buenas sensaciones, no?

http://soundcloud.com/tonerbcn/new-lombra-mixtape-jun-2011

Tracklists después del “más”

Toner Mixtape Tracklist

01 Shed – … Can’t Feel It.
02 The Weeknd – The Morning
03 Boddika – Soul What
04 Jamie XX – Far Nearer
05 Egyptrixx – Naples
06 Kelis – Brave (Dark Sky Remix)
07 SCB – Loss
08 Joy Orbison – Ladywell
09 Julio Bashmore – Ask Yourself
10 Jacques Greene – (Baby I Don’t Know) What You Want
11 Krystal Klear – Tried For Your Love (Hudson Mohawke Remix)
12 KiNK & Neville Watson – Metropole
13 Hackman – Made Up My Mind
14 T. Williams – Heartbeat (Paul Woolford Rewurq)
15 Amel Larrieux – Tell Me (George Fitzgerald Remix)
16 Deadboy – Ain’t Gonna Lie
17 Pearson Sound – Blanked
18 Scuba – Glance
19 James Drake – Measure It All
This looks so boss. Can't wait to check it out!

Nyx

New mix from me, been 4 months. :D

http://soundcloud.com/nyx_1978/george-hefner-saturday

1. Kerri Chandler - Bar A Thym (Peace Division Soft Heavy Mix)
2. La Pena - Just
3. Leon (Italy) - Red Corner
4. Gel Abril - Angola
5. The Sushi Club - Virosa (Federico Molinari Remix)
6. Re-UP - Nobody is Perfect (Varoslav Remix)
7. Cozzy D, Dzeta N' Bazile - What A Day
8. Pezzner - The Tracks Are Alive (Rozzo Remix)
9. D. Diggler - Anti Amid
10. Aquarell - Creep (Re-UP Remix)
11. Johan Vermeulen - Mbaya (Mike Haddad & Royce Haven Remix)
12. Nicole Moudaber - San Palabras
13. F. Sonik & Andrew Technique - Press Play
14. F. Sonik & Andrew Technique - Baracca
15. Oscar - Luftschaukel (Andy Kohlmann Remix
16. Mathias Kaden & Pi-ge - Konomama (Reboot Remix)

OK I really really want to learn how to DJ, and I don't want to just buy cheapo shit that I'll have to replace right away. I want to be able to entertain myself, as well as friends at parties.

Does anyone have any experience with the Numark MIXTRACK PRO? Reviews on Amazon seem really good, and something about a sound card being built in.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00466HLWO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

At $220 bucks that's a price I can live with!

Dont suppose any of you chaps are in the club promotio buissness?
Jobs appeared that I will get straight onto applying for when I get in from work but was looking for some insider insight into how itall works. Quite excited about the idea of potentially getting it but cant hurt to ask you guys in the meantime!

okno

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
OK I really really want to learn how to DJ, and I don't want to just buy cheapo shit that I'll have to replace right away. I want to be able to entertain myself, as well as friends at parties.

Does anyone have any experience with the Numark MIXTRACK PRO? Reviews on Amazon seem really good, and something about a sound card being built in.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00466HLWO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

At $220 bucks that's a price I can live with!

The Mixtrack PRO is fine for the price, absolutely. You get decent (but not very good) jog wheels, on-board effects and loop controls, and a built-in sound card which will save you money. The downside of the sound card is that it isn't the highest quality (hence the low price), but it will absolutely serve your needs when spinning for friends or for yourself. Numark has VERY solid knobs on their units, but their faders can feel a bit loose. I've never used the PRO myself, but I can't imagine it having any better faders than the unit I previously owned (X1 scratch mixer). Long story short, it's a good learning tool, but you'll want to upgrade as soon as you get comfortable with it, and if you ever start doing anything more professional you'll need to invest in a better sound card (the Audio 2 DJ by Native Instruments, an exceptional card, can be easily found for $90-100, a fantastic deal). Also, follow this link and you can buy the PRO for $194

Nyx said:

Nice, man! I'm going to check this out right now. Solid opener.

This past Saturday marked a huge day for me: it was my anniversary of moving to NYC and also the anniversary for the last time I did dope. I moved to NYC to get clean, and it's been a smashing success. To commemorate the day, I made a mix as a present to all the people who helped me through it. It's a deep house/techno roller and I hope y'all enjoy.

RsvtK.png

A Blueprint of the Pleasure Inside of Me
Andy Stott - Florence
Deadbeat - Xberg Ghosts
Luke Hess - Transform
Patrice Baumel - Lovers
Ryo Murakami - Nightmares
Smallpeople - A Place Called Dream
Blawan - Getting Me Down
Aril Brikha - Contact
Andy Stott - Massacre
Addison Groove - Make Um Bounce
Cosmin TRG - Sirop
Conforce - Fictional Environment (Delta Funktionen Remix)
Blawan - Kaz

Davidion

okno said:
This past Saturday marked a huge day for me: it was my anniversary of moving to NYC and also the anniversary for the last time I did dope. I moved to NYC to get clean, and it's been a smashing success. To commemorate the day, I made a mix as a present to all the people who helped me through it. It's a deep house/techno roller and I hope y'all enjoy.

Geez, I know NYC has gotten a bit soft lately but I didn't know people moved here to get clean now. haha

But seriously, congratulations, I know that trip couldn't have been easy. That tracklist looks good and I'll check it out in a few.

okno said:
The Mixtrack PRO is fine for the price, absolutely. You get decent (but not very good) jog wheels, on-board effects and loop controls, and a built-in sound card which will save you money. The downside of the sound card is that it isn't the highest quality (hence the low price), but it will absolutely serve your needs when spinning for friends or for yourself. Numark has VERY solid knobs on their units, but their faders can feel a bit loose. I've never used the PRO myself, but I can't imagine it having any better faders than the unit I previously owned (X1 scratch mixer). Long story short, it's a good learning tool, but you'll want to upgrade as soon as you get comfortable with it, and if you ever start doing anything more professional you'll need to invest in a better sound card (the Audio 2 DJ by Native Instruments, an exceptional card, can be easily found for $90-100, a fantastic deal). Also, follow this link and you can buy the PRO for $194

Wow, thanks for the info!

joelseph

KWOTS XXVII Creep, looks absolutely spectacular. *edit* yup, it's good and weird.

1. PsychicTV – Ordeal Ov Innocence
2. Einstürzende Neubauten – Feurio!
3. Wynardtage – Cold
4. Shabazz Palaces – An Echo From the Hosts That Profess Infinitum
5. Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX – Piano Player
6. Azari & III – Into the Night (Nicolas Jaar Remix)
7. Nguzunguzu – Spittin ‘n Riddim
8. Nosaj Thing – Fog (Jamie XX Remix)
9. CREEP – You (and I) [Baryshnikov Remix]
10. Mittageisen – Neues China
11. Araabmuzik – Electronic Dream
12. Nine Circles – Miss Love
13. Xeno and Oaklander – Celeste
14. FOE – Deep Water Heartbreaker (CREEP Remix)

daviyoung

Banned
Just got a quick mix for you guys:

Going through some old stuff from the years.

http://soundcloud.com/funkygunther/progressive-2002-mix

Tracklist

1. Furry Phreaks - South (Chicane Mix)
2. Form and Function - Wonderland
3. Telepopmusik - Breathe (Jori Hulkkonen Mix)
4. Groove Armada - Chicago
5. Circulation vs Yazoo - You
6. Barry Gilbey - Plastic Man
7. Damien Heck - Deep Reveal
8. 16B - Driving To Heaven
9. Echomen - Substance
10. Pete Lazonby - Sacred Cycles (Probspot Mix)
11. Quadran - No Air
12. Tilt - Twelve (Dousk Mix)

joelseph said:
Numbers on RINSE FM w/ special guest Jamie XX

Jamie bends towards the slow and the old with his typical tropical flare. Even plays an old unreleased XX track.

At 32 in he takes Far Nearer and slows it down to around 100. Amazing. And he just keeps going, listen to this mix.

This is his best mix since Benji B

http://podcast.dgen.net/rinsefm/podcast/Numbers070611.mp3

Dont suppose there is a track list for this floating around?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Unsure if this is the thread, but I am learning Reason for the first time. I made a simple drum beat with redrum, but when I open a synthesizer to place some notes over it, I can't hear anything I tap out. Can anyone help?

okno

Ermac said:
Unsure if this is the thread, but I am learning Reason for the first time. I made a simple drum beat with redrum, but when I open a synthesizer to place some notes over it, I can't hear anything I tap out. Can anyone help?

Make sure to click on the synthesizer in the bottom panel that has instruments (don't really know what it's called), Reason doesn't automatically switch controls to whatever instrument you just created (which I find silly).

Ermac

okno said:
Make sure to click on the synthesizer in the bottom panel that has instruments (don't really know what it's called), Reason doesn't automatically switch controls to whatever instrument you just created (which I find silly).

You mean click the synth on the rack right? I did that and it still doesn't work.

it doesn't seem to work the other way either: If i start a new file and key in some notes on a synth, then try to add drums using redrum, I can't hear the drums.

i know I'm missing a switch or something.

okno

Ermac said:
You mean click the synth on the rack right? I did that and it still doesn't work.

it doesn't seem to work the other way either: If i start a new file and key in some notes on a synth, then try to add drums using redrum, I can't hear the drums.

i know I'm missing a switch or something.

Not in the rack, on the bottom portion of the window, where the recording stuff is located.

Before creating the synth, first click on the mixer at the top of the rack, and then create it. Sometimes, Reason will create the instrument without properly linking the inputs, but if you click the mixer first it will always automatically link the instrument to the proper inputs.

It might be that your sound card isn't being properly identified. When you load Reason and play the demo song, do you hear the song? If yes, your sound card is fine, if not, go into the preferences and link it properly.

Reason can be finicky. It's MUCH smoother now than it was 3.0 and earlier, trust me.

Ermac

okno said:
Not in the rack, on the bottom portion of the window, where the recording stuff is located.

Before creating the synth, first click on the mixer at the top of the rack, and then create it. Sometimes, Reason will create the instrument without properly linking the inputs, but if you click the mixer first it will always automatically link the instrument to the proper inputs.

It might be that your sound card isn't being properly identified. When you load Reason and play the demo song, do you hear the song? If yes, your sound card is fine, if not, go into the preferences and link it properly.

Reason can be finicky. It's MUCH smoother now than it was 3.0 and earlier, trust me.

Still can't seem to get it :/ My audio card looks ok, demos play fine. Here's what I'm looking at: Laid the drums first, then recorded the notes on the synth. they show up in the sequencer but I can't hear them. And like I mentioned if I start with the synth, when I go to add drums, I can't hear them. wtf reason..

2m4y7ih.png

Top Bottom