• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

AcridMeat

Banned
Welp, I wanted to work on my second driving/dance/party mix, and instead I'm just listening to it.

Back to back Porter Robinson tracks is just...oh lord.

Say my Name into I'm On Fire.

Shaneus

AcridMeat said:
Back to back Porter Robinson tracks is just...oh lord.

Say my Name into I'm On Fire.
If you get a chance, see him live... pretty sure he's touring as we speak.

Not a massive fan of his Gaga remix, though. For some reason most peeps really like it but I can't dig it.

AcridMeat

Banned
Shaneus said:
If you get a chance, see him live... pretty sure he's touring as we speak.

Not a massive fan of his Gaga remix, though. For some reason most peeps really like it but I can't dig it.

Thanks for mentioning that, he's actually playing in SF at the end of this month. :D Will be going, cheers.

Sai showed this to me last night. Starkillers - Scream

daviyoung

Banned
Oliver Lieb - Epsilon Eridani EP

Out now on Bedrock

284150_231290176901299_182451685118482_787978_4824239_n.jpg

Gui Boratto - The Drill (single)

Out on Kompakt 25 July 2011.

Gui Boratto - III (album)

Out 12 September 2011

cover%20III.png

Tracklist

01. Galuchat
02. Stems from Hell
03. Striker
04. The Drill
05. Flying Practice
06. Trap
07. Soledad
08. Destination: Education
09. Talking Truss
10. The Third
11. This Is Not the End feat. Luciana Villanova

Four Tet - Fabric Live 59

FABRICLIVE-59-FOURTET_jpg_200x1417_q85.jpg

Tracklist

01 Intro
02 Michel Redolfi – Immersion Partielle
03 Crazy Bald Heads – First Born
04 Persian – Feel Da Vibe
05 KH – 101112
06 Youngstar (Musical Mob) – Pulse X
07 Crazy Bald Heads – First Born (Four Tet Remix)
08 Floating Points – Sais (Dub)
09 Apple – Mr Bean
10 Manitoba (Caribou) – Webers
11 Big Bird – Flav (Urban Myths Remix)
12 Genius – Waiting
13 Four Tet – Fabric
14 David Borden – The Continuing Story Of Counterpoint, Part Nine
15 STL – Dark Energy
16 Percussions – Percussions One
17 C++ – Angie’s Fucked
18 Burial – Street Halo
19 KMA – Cape Fear
20 WK7 – Higher Power
21 Ricardo Villalobos – Sieso
22 Four Tet – Pyramid
23 Red Rack’em – How I Program
24 Active Minds – Hobson’s Choice (Tune For Da Man Dem)
25 Armando Gallop & Steve Poindexter – Blackholes
26 Outro

OK I just got my Numark Mixtrack Pro, I have headphones, speakers, and I'm downloading a few of my favorite tracks from Beatport so I can try my hand at DJing. It's something I've always wanted to learn how to do.

Assuming I love it and can get good, I will need a laptop. What would I be looking for as far as system specs? I've done some research, but recommendations are all over the place. Basically, I want a laptop just for DJing, and fiddling around with Fruity Loops. Would a cheap laptop like an Acer 2GB work fine or do I need something beefier? Saw a sweet deal on a 6GB Toshiba for $500 at Staples, but would that much ram be overkill?

Shaneus

I'd be looking at processor before RAM. RAM can be easily upgraded on a laptop, not so with CPUs.

As for specs, the manufacturer websites of most digital DJ software are pretty spot on.

Shaneus said:
I'd be looking at processor before RAM. RAM can be easily upgraded on a laptop, not so with CPUs.

As for specs, the manufacturer websites of most digital DJ software are pretty spot on.

Processor. Gotcha. I'm going to learn with Virtual DJ...

MINIMUM system requirements:

Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ XP
1024x768 resolution
DirectX compatible soundcard
512MB RAM
50MB free on the hard drive

RECOMENDED system requirements:

Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ X2
1280x1024 resolution
Multi-channel DirectX compatible soundcard
1024MB RAM
200MB free on the hard drive

okno

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
OK I just got my Numark Mixtrack Pro, I have headphones, speakers, and I'm downloading a few of my favorite tracks from Beatport so I can try my hand at DJing. It's something I've always wanted to learn how to do.

Assuming I love it and can get good, I will need a laptop. What would I be looking for as far as system specs? I've done some research, but recommendations are all over the place. Basically, I want a laptop just for DJing, and fiddling around with Fruity Loops. Would a cheap laptop like an Acer 2GB work fine or do I need something beefier? Saw a sweet deal on a 6GB Toshiba for $500 at Staples, but would that much ram be overkill?

Anyone can DJ, it just takes practice. Don't expect amazing things right off the bat, you have to learn from your mistakes. The way I taught myself was to put together mixes for myself and then listen to them later. Make a mix, mistakes and all, and then study it later to see what you could have done better or differently. Also, don't touch the effects panel until you understand how EQing works.

Welcome aboard! Don't be afraid to ask questions and definitely share with us when you start to feel comfortable.

okno said:
Anyone can DJ, it just takes practice. Don't expect amazing things right off the bat, you have to learn from your mistakes. The way I taught myself was to put together mixes for myself and then listen to them later. Make a mix, mistakes and all, and then study it later to see what you could have done better or differently. Also, don't touch the effects panel until you understand how EQing works.

Welcome aboard! Don't be afraid to ask questions and definitely share with us when you start to feel comfortable.

Thanks for the tips!

Now it's time for me to start fartin' around!

RHbhLl.jpg

My style of choice is electro house... love it love it love it.

Shaneus

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
My style of choice is electro house... love it love it love it.
By all means start off with a genre that you love, just don't limit yourself to it. Even though I err on minimal progressive when I (try to) put together a bedroom set, you just have to go with what you feel. Check out a few different charts on Beatport to see what you like :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
daviyoung said:
Just got a quick mix for you guys:

Going through some old stuff from the years.

http://soundcloud.com/funkygunther/progressive-2002-mix

Tracklist

1. Furry Phreaks - South (Chicane Mix)
2. Form and Function - Wonderland
3. Telepopmusik - Breathe (Jori Hulkkonen Mix)
4. Groove Armada - Chicago
5. Circulation vs Yazoo - You
6. Barry Gilbey - Plastic Man
7. Damien Heck - Deep Reveal
8. 16B - Driving To Heaven
9. Echomen - Substance
10. Pete Lazonby - Sacred Cycles (Probspot Mix)
11. Quadran - No Air
12. Tilt - Twelve (Dousk Mix)

Downloading this instant, tracklist looks unbelievable...

joelseph

Been on a huge Mount Kimbie kick recently, so I dug up their old RA podcast (216). This mix will always stand out for me.

1. William Basinski - Melancholia 1 [2062]
2. Klaus - Tusk [Unreleased]
3. Extract From 'Night' Episode Of 'The Hackney Podcast
4. Xela - Wet Bones [Type]
5. Mount Kimbie - William (Mount Kimbie DayGlo Mix) [Unreleased]
6. James Blake - Tep And The Logic [Unreleased]
7. Sigha - Expansions [Hotflush]
8. Klaus & Mount Kimbie - The People Took [Unreleased]
9. Philip Jeck - Spirits Up [Touch]
10. Konono N°1 - Lufuala Ndonga [Congotronics]
11. Mount Kimbie - At Least (Instra:mental Remix) [Hotflush]
12. Mount Kimbie - Blind Night Errand [Hotflush]
13. Mount Kimbie - Vertical (Pig's Ear Edit) [Unreleased]
14. Clogs - Tides Of Washington Bridge [Talitres]
15. Actress - Again The Addiction [Werk Discs]

joelseph said:
Been on a huge Mount Kimbie kick recently, so I dug up their old RA podcast (216). This mix will always stand out for me.
]

Guy I met in India back in February is going to a Mount Kimbe video shoot this week, He also made some crazy ass instrument for James Blake a few weeks ago. Fuck knows how he managed to meet either of them!

Going to Global Gathering in 11 days! 28 DJS I want to see and its only two days long, how nuts is that!?

Saw Dirtyphonics on Friday and they were awesome not on the same level as at Glastonbury but still loads of fun, Tek One as well were really good!

Anyone heard of Maya Jane Cole before?

maya_jane_coles.jpg

Turns out I saw her at Glastonbury without realizing it as she was before Netsky. Listening to her essential mix now and its nice :)
maya-jane-coles-essential-mix
Also nice to have a Dj I can say looks hot rather than when I go out with my girl mates and the perv over the male djs!

okno

Maya Jane Coles is a better DJ than a producer, in my opinion. Her productions are all extremely similar and, at this point, predictable, but she puts together some seriously grooving sets.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
daviyoung said:
Just got a quick mix for you guys:

Going through some old stuff from the years.

http://soundcloud.com/funkygunther/progressive-2002-mix

Tracklist

1. Furry Phreaks - South (Chicane Mix)
2. Form and Function - Wonderland
3. Telepopmusik - Breathe (Jori Hulkkonen Mix)
4. Groove Armada - Chicago
5. Circulation vs Yazoo - You
6. Barry Gilbey - Plastic Man
7. Damien Heck - Deep Reveal
8. 16B - Driving To Heaven
9. Echomen - Substance
10. Pete Lazonby - Sacred Cycles (Probspot Mix)
11. Quadran - No Air
12. Tilt - Twelve (Dousk Mix)

So I just got through this mix, thought I'd share a few comments... late 90's - early 2000's prog is my FAVORITE style of music ever, so the tracklist sold me right away. The tunes in this one really speak for themselves, and it's such a shame that it's so hard to find music both dark, emotionally intense, yet melodic at the same time like in the glory days of prog house. The mixing is very well-done, instead of quick cuts you drag on the mix just like someone like John Digweed would do back in the day. My only complaint is that "Plastic Man", as the most peaktime song on the mix, should have appeared much later on. And also, Chicago seemed to clash with the rest of the songs on the mix.

That being said, I'd love to see more mixes from you, especially in styles like this.

daviyoung

Banned
djtiesto said:
So I just got through this mix, thought I'd share a few comments... late 90's - early 2000's prog is my FAVORITE style of music ever, so the tracklist sold me right away. The tunes in this one really speak for themselves, and it's such a shame that it's so hard to find music both dark, emotionally intense, yet melodic at the same time like in the glory days of prog house. The mixing is very well-done, instead of quick cuts you drag on the mix just like someone like John Digweed would do back in the day. My only complaint is that "Plastic Man", as the most peaktime song on the mix, should have appeared much later on. And also, Chicago seemed to clash with the rest of the songs on the mix.

That being said, I'd love to see more mixes from you, especially in styles like this.

Hey man,

Thanks for listening. You're right, it's a bit of an eclectic mix of styles for a progressive mix so there's a few clashes e.g. Driving to Heaven/Substance basslines, but I always like to throw in a curve-ball like Chicago as an experiment. Occasionally it works, most of the time it doesn't. As you said though, the other tracks speak for themselves.

Music like this is far and away my favorite style too, and nowadays I have to spend hours on music sites going through the tech-house/deep-house/minimal genres to find this type when it would have been a lot easier in the earlier 00s. The progressive house genre is something between electro house and soft trance now, and not my thing at all. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to do sift through at the moment, so I'm going through the vinyl and CDs I had bought back in the day.

Until I get some more funds to splash at junodownload and beatport I'll be making a lot more of these dated mixes.

Again, thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

Nyx

okno said:
Maya Jane Coles is a better DJ than a producer, in my opinion. Her productions are all extremely similar and, at this point, predictable, but she puts together some seriously grooving sets.

I like her productions better than her mixes actually. :D

She became very popular very fast it seems, would it also been this way when she was a ''he'' ? ;)

Burning Man

Neo Member
Shaneus said:
How in the fuck are these little shits like Madeon and Porter Robinson so talented at such a young age?!?

PS. Check this out as well. Wolfgang Gartner - Anthology (Madeon mashup)

My very first foray into this thread, and I'm instantly swept off my feet. He's 17. And I already rate him on par with Guetta - whose songs I have played over a 100 times. Bloody hell.

My current fav in his work is his Raise Your Weapon remix

Awesome recommendation guys.

Shaneus

Burning Man said:
My very first foray into this thread, and I'm instantly swept off my feet. He's 17. And I already rate him on par with Guetta - whose songs I have played over a 100 times. Bloody hell.

My current fav in his work is his Raise Your Weapon remix

Awesome recommendation guys.
Glad you like it! I was actually put onto him by "following" Porter Robinson on Twitter.

Oh, just discovered this: Madeon - Shuriken
First comment nails it:
I'm pretty sure he's Daft Punks illegitimate Love child. Not Trying to say Daft Punk is gay, but that seems to bee the only logical explanation to this Epic shit.

Burning Man

Neo Member
Shaneus said:
Glad you like it! I was actually put onto him by "following" Porter Robinson on Twitter.
And he's 19. F**k. I'm 21. WTF am I doing with my life.

EDIT: Oh, and for epic comments, I found this pair on a Porter Robinson song.

so now I have to find NJlover1997's comments...
jamesk312 1 week ago 52

@NJlover1997 you fucking disgust me
LOGIESPZ 2 weeks ago 31

Burning Man

Neo Member
Shaneus said:
I'm 30 :/
Hmm. Are you perhaps harnessing some massive inner storehouse of hitherto untapped talent that you will use one day to become extremely rich and famous? 'Cause that might just save you.

Shaneus

Burning Man said:
Hmm. Are you perhaps harnessing some massive inner storehouse of hitherto untapped talent that you will use one day to become extremely rich and famous? 'Cause that might just save you.
I reckon I am! I'm having problems learning basically any music program (FL Studio, Ableton) but I suspect I may have inattentive-type ADHD which I'm getting sussed out tomorrow. If that's indeed the case, I'm locking myself in my flat with my meds and I'm going to knock out a metric fuckload of tunes that would make Laurent Garnier look like an amateur ;)

Burning Man

Neo Member
Shaneus said:
I reckon I am! I'm having problems learning basically any music program (FL Studio, Ableton) but I suspect I may have inattentive-type ADHD which I'm getting sussed out tomorrow. If that's indeed the case, I'm locking myself in my flat with my meds and I'm going to knock out a metric fuckload of tunes that would make Laurent Garnier look like an amateur ;)

I remember going to the doctor with my mum and telling him I had ADHD.

Me: So, um, I think I have ADHD.

Doc: Hmm. Nope.

Me: FUCK!

Not sure what I would really prefer, tbh - Meds or no meds. Hope your situation resolves itself as you want it to.

Shaneus

Well, it's not hyperactivity or anything, it's more inattentive (from what I can tell). It seems that it's what's preventing me from learning any of the software that would let me do anything creative with music. At best, I can put together the odd set or two when mucking around at home, but the last one I did was a LONG time ago.

www.shaneus.com ;)

Burning Man

Neo Member
Shaneus said:
Well, it's not hyperactivity or anything, it's more inattentive (from what I can tell). It seems that it's what's preventing me from learning any of the software that would let me do anything creative with music. At best, I can put together the odd set or two when mucking around at home, but the last one I did was a LONG time ago.

www.shaneus.com ;)
Oh nice. I thought you dabbled like me - Aka dance when a good song comes on and then forget all about all the sweet moves you wanted to teach yourself. Because that would be work.

But you actually play in clubs and stuff man, that's awesome. Must be loads of fun.

I'll give your stuff a listen, but it'll take a while. DL speed's 30 kbps now :|.

joelseph

Cedaa - Dijital Mix

1. Lucid - Drongo Frongo [CDR]
2. Look Like - Buggin (Sinjin Hawke Remix) [Get Flavor]
3. Nerima Funk - Captain Bubbles [Mental Groove]
4. Brenmar - Want Me [Grizzly]
5. Distal - Monroe [CDR]
6. Usher - Appetite (Kingdom Edit) [CDR]
7. VV - Eardrums [B.YRSLF]
8. Pacheko - Lamissy [Mental Groove]
9. NGUZUNGUZU -Timesup [Fade To Mind]
10. Night Drugs ft. Moona - Higher (Everydayz Remix) [Get Flavor]
11. DJ Yayyay - Micro-Chips (Instrumental) [CDR]
12. Brenmar - Waiting On [Enchufada]
13. Max Ulis ft. Self Evident - Eastsiders [10PIN]
14. Ollie Macfarlane - Someone Warm [Get Flavor]
15. CRST - Roach Clip [Deep Thrills]
16. DJ Rick & DJ Wilson - Na Paz [Mental Groove]
17. Clicks & Whistles - Serious Bidness [CDR]
18. Cedaa - Sapphire (qp's Lil' Conundrum Remix) [C/C/S]
19. Juxta - Spookin [Freshmore]
20. DJ Rashad - 40 Cal [CDR]
21. Cedaa - Palomino [C/C/S]
22. ??? - ??? [CDR]
23. Rizzla - That Thing He Said [Fade To Mind]
24. Sines - Thug Bounce [CDR]
25. Prince Jean - Merguez (Cedaa Remx) [Soukouch Ethnik]

AcridMeat

Banned
Finished organizing a setlist for a friend's for fun radio show. Still need to make some edits to get rid of filler but here it is.

1. Poney Part 1 - Vitalic
2. To The Stars - Feed Me
3. The Island (Steve Angello, AN21 & Max Vangeli Remix) - Pendulum
4. Let Me Be Real - Fedde Le Grand
5. Pressure feat. Nadia Ali (Alesso Remix) - Alex Kenji & Starkillers
6. Levels (ID) - Avicii
7. Bullets (Nause & Adrian Lux Remix) - Rebecca & Fiona
8. Hello (feat. Dragonette) - Martin Solveig
9. Save The World - Swedish House Mafia
10. Pop Culture - Madeon
11. Green Bottle - Feed Me
12. Apes From Space (Dirtyloud Remix) - Aaren San
13. Say My Name - Porter Robinson
14. Slats Slats Slats - Skrillex
15. Daylight - Dumme Jungs
16. Die Atzen - Atzin (Dumme Jungs Remix)
17. Scream - Starkillers
18. I'm On Fire - Porter Robinson
19. Rockin High - Fedde Le Grand
20. Digital Love - Daft Punk
21. Kidsos into Signatune (My Edit) - Sebastian Ingrosso & DJ Mehdi (Thomas Bangalter edit)

I tried something new for the end and am satisfied considering all I had to work with was Audacity.

The show is either tomorrow or Sunday, will post when it's happening if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom