• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

joelseph

Skiptastic said:
You were rocking my town, eh? Too bad I was out in Michigan. :(

Dude! I had no idea you lived in Indy. Next year I am looking to throw an event at GenCon. If it comes through you can DJ!

IMG_6901.jpg

Crystle Castles and Elijah Wood. :D

okno

I saw Crystal Castles on New Years Eve last year (not this past NYE, but the one before that) and was b l o w n away. So fun live. The opening acts were god awful, especially Midnight Conspiracy (I'm pretty sure that's what they were called), were on past midnight (leaving CC with 45 mins to play, as the headliners) and almost caused me to leave. I'm glad I stayed, though. Had a beer with them afterwards, really nice people.

So, this is going to be epic. Robert Hood + Blawan + Pursuit Grooves... for free, and free beer. Yes.

Shaneus

I'm rocking some serious Madeon at work today. Even though I was put onto him by Porter Robinson, I'm enjoying his music much, much more. It's very reminiscent of early Kissy Sell Out but more commercial and better production.

okno

joelseph said:
damn, prepare to jack
Yeah, so stoked! This sat is sub:stance premiere with Scuba, Addison Groove and Appleblim and then next Thursday is Braille. It's gonna be a good two weeks.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
After 7 years, Death In Vegas are BACK! :D

Death In Vegas - Your Loft, My Acid

Wait till it all kicks in, by the end of the 7 minutes you should be quite happy. Really, really good and best thing I've heard in a while as well as the most original. Beautiful stuff.

Total drug-music!*

*Prescription-only Google

mj7jgx.jpg

Shaneus

Fuck, I need to listen to more Death in Vegas. Loved 'Girls' from Lost in Translation but never looked into them any further. Thanks for the reminder!

daviyoung

Banned
Shaneus said:
Fuck, I need to listen to more Death in Vegas. Loved 'Girls' from Lost in Translation but never looked into them any further. Thanks for the reminder!

Yeh you do! If you like Girls you should check out Dirge, it's a masterpiece.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dirge is stunning. Also check out Aisha, Hands Around My Throat, Scorpio Rising ... loads of good stuff.

For Brit-GAF they are doing a one-off gig next Thursday at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth. Tiny venue, should be really special with the first plays of the new stuff. Can't wait :D

Full tour in December:

Glasgow King Tut's Wah Wah Hut (December 3)
Leeds Cockpit (5)
Sheffield Leadmill (6)
O2 Academy 2 Birmingham (8)
Manchester Club Academy (9)
Brighton Concorde 2 (11)
Bristol Thekla (13)
Cambridge Junction 1 (14)
London Electric Ballroom (15)

daviyoung

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
For Brit-GAF they are doing a one-off gig next Thursday at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth. Tiny venue, should be really special with the first plays of the new stuff. Can't wait :D

Good call! I live in Southsea, love the artists that do these things in the Wedge.

I remember seeing Dreadzone for a one-off there last year.

DECK'ARD said:
After 7 years, Death In Vegas are BACK! :D

Death In Vegas - Your Loft, My Acid

Wait till it all kicks in, by the end of the 7 minutes you should be quite happy. Really, really good and best thing I've heard in a while as well as the most original. Beautiful stuff.

Total drug-music!*

*Prescription-only Google

[/IMG]

I was going to say there's not a whole lot to it till it kicks in haha
Dont think id want to be on any drugs hearing this though!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Johnlenham said:
I was going to say there's not a whole lot to it till it kicks in haha
Dont think id want to be on any drugs hearing this though!

I think this track is a drug in itself! One of my DJ mates texted me last night saying he felt like he was tripping playing it and he hadn't done anything :)

Love the multilayered repeating vocals and how the words seem to keep changing as you are listening to it.

I can feel the bass, the bass, the bass ...

AcridMeat

Banned
I've been listening to a lot of Com Truise lately, and found Neon Indian and He, along with someone else is playing here on Oct. 1st. Hell yeah. :)

joelseph

Johnlenham said:
The video is fucking horrendous but the song is good.

The video is amazing! LOL Boys know what's up. Reminds me of 18++. Wish more producers making this future sound would releases their tracks. This came out today btw!

daviyoung

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Anyone have any suggestions for house music like Maya Jane and Black Coffee?
Im pretty new to it all and to think that Daft Punk falls under the same category makes it even more confusing for me!

Mt. Eden - Sierra Leone

This post confuses me.

Maya Jane Coles doesn't sound anything like what I've heard from Black Coffee which doesn't sound anything like Daft Punk.

And then you go and post a dubstep track?

joelseph

Johnlenham said:
Anyone have any suggestions for house music like Maya Jane and Black Coffee?
Im pretty new to it all and to think that Daft Punk falls under the same category makes it even more confusing for me!

Mt. Eden - Sierra Leone

Maya Jane Coles - london house, uk bass, funky
Black coffee - house, tribal, world beat
Daft Punk - electro
Mt. Eden - dubstep

daviyoung said:
This post confuses me.

Maya Jane Coles doesn't sound anything like what I've heard from Black Coffee which doesn't sound anything like Daft Punk.

And then you go and post a dubstep track?

Well I meant house music in general.
Maya Jane and Black coffee are the the only House producers/Djs I know of (so far) that I like but then if Daft punk falls under house (or French house according to wiki) then I really have no idea where to start with it all.

The dubstep track is because I like it, it has no real relevance to what I was after just people post alot but dont put up any music that's all.

Edit: Im not trying to split hairs over "london house" and "house" its still House music to me overall and they sound pretty similar to me.
If you said I want Dubstep like Benga I would say Kode 9/Skream/Coki if you said Dubstep like Skrillex I would say Doctor P, Flux Pavillion, Zomboy becasue they are clearly very different to me.

Not sure if that makes in any clearer mind you..

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If you like Maya Jane Coles, check out Seth Troxler, Lee Foss, Heidi, Dyed Soundorom, Seuil, and Nicolas Jaar.

I don't know anything about Black Coffee but apparently he does afrobeat inspired stuff? Try searching for the genre "Kwaito" (DJ Mujava being a well known name in the scene... I don't know anything at all about the genre but it's like an afrobeat/house hybrid), or some early Masters at Work.

Ah thanks guys I will check the recommendations out.
I wasn't sure if my response came off abit snappy so expected some pissed off responses aha.

Alucrid

Banned
But Deadmau5 isn't even really dubstep, not that he hasn't contributed to what's shown in that article. Also, who the fuck is Steve Aoki?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
okno said:
Saw this article on RA tonight, thought it warranted a share.

Middle-America Rave Revival
http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2011/0...r-middle-american-commercialization-rave.html

Dubstep.

Looks a bit like the Gathering of the Juggalos picture with all the fatties (one of them in particular looks like my ex who has recently ballooned in weight :p)... looks like the Cobrasnake was just cherry-picking people to shoot. When I'm hitting up the festivals (Electric Zoo and Ultra Music Festival in particular), it's a mixture of guidos, regular preppy/nerdy college/postcollege kids, lots of cute girls, and the occasional person who still does the candykid attire.

okno

Saw Braille spin for free on Thursday night. It was a vaguely-advertised gig, so it was pretty empty, maybe 30 people tops... He started off great and then went downhill after about 30 mins. Lame! He's normally a fantastic DJ, but this set was pretty bad.

The good news is my friend who threw the party introduced me to the booking agent at National Underground, so I'm going to be doing an opening set there in the next few weeks! I'll hook up the details as soon as I get them!

Saw Aphex Twin last night. Didn't really know what to expect. I'm not the biggest fan, but I have obviously listened to a lot of his music during the 90s, never seen him live before.

He played the most insane acid for 2 hours, felt like having my head blown off. Can't really say wether it was a postive or negative aural experience, but it defintely was an experience.

The visuals were pretty nice though. They had a face detecting camera, so while recording the audience people would have Aphex's ugly face on them on the big screen. Adding some trippy effects made it pretty awesome. The best part was when they put his face on famous Danish people(the concert was in Copenhagen) including members of the monarchy.

daviyoung

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
They had a face detecting camera, so while recording the audience people would have Aphex's ugly face on them on the big screen.

aphex-twin-windowlicker-225397416a.jpg

That's awesome. I had no idea Aphex Twin was still going. Windowlicker is a classic tune though, would kill to hear that live.

daviyoung said:
http://images.ados.fr/multimedia/photo/hd/6707739670/shoot-da-head/aphex-twin-windowlicker-225397416a.jpg[img]

That's awesome. I had no idea Aphex Twin was still going. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmo1Sjn7dg]Windowlicker[/url] is a classic tune though, would kill to hear that live.[/QUOTE]Yeah I wished he would have played some of his 'classic' tunes. But I guess this wasn't that kind of concert (it did say rave on the tickets afterall).

devenger

Hey, where can I go after Ratatat, Lemon Jelly, Crystal Castles, Digitalism?

edit: just ignore, larger request below. Unless you have the perfect suggestion, then by all means...

devenger

Ok, since I have two posts already, going to monopolize once more then get out of the way.

I had a discussion with a few of you awhile back about the loads of dj mixes instead of actual productions. I'm still not following a lot of djs and as always looking for new music. I usually drop as many artists as I can into Amazon to look for like artists and I've definitely hit a dead end.

I guess even though I've been listening to electronic for years, I'm still unsure of specific genres.

Can someone help me out with some genre tags and lables for the following, so I can narrow my search?

Royksopp
Crystal Castles
Ratatat
Boards of Canada
Lemon Jelly
Kiln
Lusine
Daft Punk
Tycho
Air
Baths
Four Tet
Digitalism
Simian Mobile Disco
Thunderball

I try and follow the numerous track listings posted here, but I can rarely find actual produced music on Amazon from those artists. Hopefully someone can earn their electro wings and push me in a couple of right directions.

Top Bottom