• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Johnlenham said:
Thats what I thought, Like someone said to me a week back that this guy they were going on a date with is into "progressive house".
So many bloody names for som many genres!

And to celebrate my works internet filter now misses youtube!
Stardust - Music Sounds Better with You just because its a tune from days gone by!

Sounds like that girl got herself a nice catch :)

EDM genres are very fluid and always-evolving... what was once called "Electro" (breakbeats, 808's, scratching, hiphop-influence) sounds barely anything like what's known as electro nowadays (Electrohouse/Dutch-house/stuff like Justice/Boys Noize/Steve Aoki/Crookers/etc). Same with progressive house, the early 90's stuff (heavy on the melody and piano, long songs with key changes and occasional diva vocals) sounds nothing like the late 90's stuff (dark, percussive, low-end heavy, and trancey... drawn out 12 minute tracks that constantly build up to a euphoric peak), which sounds nothing like modern day proghouse (shorter song length, electro and tech-house influences but more melody than either genre).

daviyoung

Banned
fludevil said:
For instance, what would you call AWOLNATION? House?

Just listening to them. Definitely doesn't sound like house. More like synth pop, electroclash or synth rock. Especially 10 Sail and People. Reminds me of Empire of the Sun and Broken Toy Soldiers.

Edit: the more I listen the more the songs sound like high school angst anthems actually. They're a rock band.

djtiesto said:

EDM genres are very fluid and always-evolving... what was once called "Electro" (breakbeats, 808's, scratching, hiphop-influence) sounds barely anything like what's known as electro nowadays (Electrohouse/Dutch-house/stuff like Justice/Boys Noize/Steve Aoki/Crookers/etc). Same with progressive house, the early 90's stuff (heavy on the melody and piano, long songs with key changes and occasional diva vocals) sounds nothing like the late 90's stuff (dark, percussive, low-end heavy, and trancey... drawn out 12 minute tracks that constantly build up to a euphoric peak), which sounds nothing like modern day proghouse (shorter song length, electro and tech-house influences but more melody than either genre).

Thats the annoying problem with putting a label on it all!
Progressive house is (according to wiki) just another name for Trance? Beats me.
Glitch-step is another funny one ive seen thrown around!

Edit: Ha! it lists Armin van Buuren, Above and Beyond, and Markus Schulz I wasnt even sure what category they came into (Dance was enough) all I knew was I liked them.
Ohh Sander Van Doorn aswell, he was good live!

joelseph

djtiesto said:

djtiesto knows whats up, I love all you guys. specially when we all posting and keeping this thread active. now make some fun mixes for us everyone. Nothing serious, you don't even need to blend the tracks. Just expand our minds!

Alucrid

Banned
joelseph said:
djtiesto knows whats up, I love all you guys. specially when we all posting and keeping this thread active. now make some fun mixes for us everyone. Nothing serious, you don't even need to blend the tracks. Just expand our minds!

Yeah, there's been a serious lack of mixes in this thread.

Davidion

Johnlenham said:
Progressive house is (according to wiki) just another name for Trance? Beats me.

Edit: Ha! it lists Armin van Buuren, Above and Beyond, and Markus Schulz I wasnt even sure what category they came into (Dance was enough) all I knew was I liked them.

Ahh, dictionary time.

Progressive House: Post-trance dancefloor friendly 4/4 EDM with generally slower tempo and subdued tones that still generally retains emphasis on melodic breakdowns/overtone. Commonly associated with trance artists and seen as a bridge genre to more bassline-driven 4/4 music with less breakdowns such as tech-house.

Glitch/Glitchcore: EDM with typically syncopated beat structure with emphasis on synthesizer harmonies and melodies built on often slightly high-pitched and even abrasive micro-distortions and sound artifacts. Often associated with IDM but downtempo and 4/4 variants exists.

See: Akufen, edIT, Glitch Mob

daviyoung

Banned
Johnlenham said:

This makes me sad :(

But I will let my snobbery pass and just accept that it wasn't like that in my day, that clubs are different now, and that I'll never understand these new designer drugs.

okno

joelseph said:
1 hour mixtape I made this week, please note I hit my limit on my first SC account so this is a new account.

http://soundcloud.com/joelparrett/a-move

House, all tracks are in the major cord. There is a sweet Foamo remix of Far Nearer in there.

Slizz will like this =)
Hah, so stoked to listen to this. The art you chose is hilarious.

I'm gonna throw something up soon, just got myself a new 4-channel mixer! Time to go crazy!

Brettison said:
Listened to the title track for the new The Field record coming out soon. Was legit. That is all.

The new Field is KILLER, really excited for the full release!

daviyoung said:

But I will let my snobbery pass and just accept that it wasn't like that in my day, that clubs are different now, and that I'll never understand these new designer drugs.

Care to explain what you mean? Gaf is now not blocked at work so I have 8 hours a day to fill! and probably why Ill be postign in this thread a shite load more.

daviyoung

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Care to explain what you mean?

Sure. It's more to do with genre-mashing than anything. As djtiesto said progressive house can now mean anything. Unfortunately, as a genre it stagnated and is now just a synonym for slow trance. There's nothing progressive about it.

I presumed those artists fell under a wiki entry for progressive house. If I had time I'd go and re-edit that to what I feel are the stand-out artists of that genre. To me, progressive house is very little like trance. It's basically tech-influenced deep house music. There was a campaign in the mid-00s to 'bring back the drums' when things got too electro and trance influenced, which is when artists like Armin van Buuren, George Acosta, Gabriel and Dresden and Markus Shulz were being labelled as such.

These people were largely trance, although an off-shoot that favoured slower beats rather than the rave style fast beats that trance is usually associated with. They would use one or two progressive house tunes at the start of a set, and then the rest would be trance. But the genre name stuck with them.

Armin van Buuren and Above and Beyond are names that I would never expect to be seen as progressive house, however 'trance' is such a dirty word to most people that I guess it's better for them to be seen as something cool, even though that something cool died out a decade ago. In the same way, Paul van Dyk (a huge trance pioneer) would never call his music 'trance', he'd always say it was electronic music.

I'm getting distracted, and I should probably write a book on this instead. Basically, what I'm trying to point out is that genres in electronic dance music are bullshit while simultaneously pointing out my hatred for dance DJs jumping on the bandwagon of labels.

If you've seen Human Traffic, I've become the cliche bloke on a sofa in the club telling anyone who'd listen how it used to be better before the kids were let loose.

Thankfully, if I need my progressive house hit these days I'll listen to some modern techno and tech house because they're a lot more similar to the prog house I remember.

I see.
Yeah "Trance" to me conjours up pictures of monged out zombie type people swaying to some repetative noise. Purely because when I visited Goa while traveling India thats what I saw!
Where as progressive house sounds "cool" though to be fair I had no fucking clue what half the dudes highlighted fell into I just lazily called it "Ibiza club music" when people asked me.

Havent seen the film but someone said about it recently (same person that said about the prog house guy) so maybe I shall check it out but I get what you are saying.

Going to this on Sunday
15th-eflyer1-363x1024.jpg

Should be good :)

djtiesto

daviyoung said:

Actually, Markus Schulz originally got big making progressive house (Dakota - Swirl ) and was well-known for the plinky "coldharbour sound" in the mid 2000's. Though sadly nowadays he is pretty much an Armin clone.

Hell, even Armin used to play a ton of progressive house not too far removed from Sasha and Digweed, back when ASOT first got started. One of his earliest tracks was featured on one of the legendary Northern Exposure comps, even.

daviyoung

Banned
djtiesto said:
Actually, Markus Schulz originally got big making progressive house (Dakota - Swirl ) and was well-known for the plinky "coldharbour sound" in the mid 2000's. Though sadly nowadays he is pretty much an Armin clone.

Hell, even Armin used to play a ton of progressive house not too far removed from Sasha and Digweed, back when ASOT first got started. One of his earliest tracks was featured on one of the legendary Northern Exposure comps, even.

There was obviously a lot of cross-over. Blue Fear appeared on a James Holden Essential Mix, but then DJ Tomcraft appeared on Sasha's GU:09. That was the nature of the music though, to have a trance song mixed in with a techno song mixed in with a house song.

Saeed & Palash, Superchumbo, Satoshi Tomiie, Deep Dish, Creamer and K, most of the stuff from Baroque, Yoshitoshi, SAW etc are progressive house to me. Dark, deep and tribal. The tranceness came later, and stuck.

djtiesto

daviyoung said:
There was obviously a lot of cross-over. Blue Fear appeared on a James Holden Essential Mix, but then DJ Tomcraft appeared on Sasha's GU:09. That was the nature of the music though, to have a trance song mixed in with a techno song mixed in with a house song.

Saeed & Palash, Superchumbo, Satoshi Tomiie, Deep Dish, Creamer and K, most of the stuff from Baroque, Yoshitoshi, SAW etc are progressive house to me. Dark, deep and tribal. The tranceness came later, and stuck.

Yeah, I loved the older days, when genres were a bit more fluid... nowadays it seems like many DJs are confined to Beatport genre categorization and never really break out of their comfort zone. I myself try to merge nu-disco, funk edits, deep tech house, melodic/progressive house and electro whenever I play... to varying degrees of success :p

So you like the tribal prog sound, that was really big around 2001... not my favorite permutation of prog, but I still enjoy it quite a bit. Tribal used to be HUGE here in NY, though nowadays we're not really known for dance music anymore. I myself got into prog from the early Global Underground CDs when it was still a bit trancy. Sasha and Digweed (absolute LEGENDS who will always remain in my top DJs), Cass and Slide, Evolution, Breeder, Bill Hamel, Anthony Pappa, Way Out West, James Holden... Platipus Records, Bedrock, Hooj. But also really love the twinkly and breakbeat influenced 2003-2004 stuff (before everything went all minimal)... Benz & MD, Luke Chable, Dousk, Matthew Dekay, Michael Burns/Blue Haze.

okno

joelseph said:
I was bumping this at the bowling alley last night and rolled a turkey! Was really feeling your track selection. The opening track is a monster.
Hahah! I'm glad I could help ;D Gotta love the effect Boddika has on people. Really, really digging your new mix, man. I need to give it a proper listen today. If you dug this mix, you'll probably like the one I just uploaded! It's pretty brutal.

Soundcloud.com/erkr/hell-is-deep

daviyoung

Banned
djtiesto said:
Yeah, I loved the older days, when genres were a bit more fluid... nowadays it seems like many DJs are confined to Beatport genre categorization and never really break out of their comfort zone. I myself try to merge nu-disco, funk edits, deep tech house, melodic/progressive house and electro whenever I play... to varying degrees of success :p.

Nice. Let us hear some mixes man!

Anthony Pappa's DJ Mag Mix from last October is one of the best progressive house mixes I've heard recently. Give it a shot if you haven't heard it

That T2 tune is the original. Loved me some garage when I was younger, good club music but wasn't really listening to it outside of a club. This will always be my number one though.

Joris Voorn has uploaded an old mixtape of his. All house music, I hear Stardust somewhere in the mix.

Joris Voorn - Vintage 1998 Mix

Other recent mixes:

Slam - Monopod 017 (Dub, techno, deep house)

Lank - Bounce Back August 2011 (Electronic Progdeepfunktechdiscohouse)

Jody Wisternoff - Way Out There August 2011 (Progressive house)

Davidion

okno said:
I saw Crystal Castles on New Years Eve last year (not this past NYE, but the one before that) and was b l o w n away. So fun live. The opening acts were god awful, especially Midnight Conspiracy (I'm pretty sure that's what they were called), were on past midnight (leaving CC with 45 mins to play, as the headliners) and almost caused me to leave. I'm glad I stayed, though. Had a beer with them afterwards, really nice people.

So, this is going to be epic. Robert Hood + Blawan + Pursuit Grooves... for free, and free beer. Yes.

Hood's flight was cancelled so he was out and LV from Hyperdub and Tood Edwards took over.

Holy

Shit

okno

Davidion said:
Hood's flight was cancelled so he was out and LV from Hyperdub and Tood Edwards took over.

Holy

Shit
I'm really pissed I didn't go :mad: That good, huh? I mostly wanted to go for Blawan, but seeing Edwards AND LV with him? Fuck! Glad to hear it was a good time, though! Probably going to go see Truncate and Donor tonight, we'll see.

joelseph

Will try and get that tracklisting tonight.

8/27 ESSENTIAL MIX IS JAMIE XX

joelseph

Orbital - Belfast
Phanes - Lucky Woman
Ifan Dafydd - No Good
Harvey Mandel - Christo Redentor
Koreless - Lost in Tokyo
Floating Points - Sais
Wiley - Colder (Instrumental)
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Untitled
Pärson Sound - Untitled
DJ Deeon - Fine Hoes
Luke Vibert - Analord
New Look - Janet
John Tejada - Unstable Condition
Univac - Untitled (Track 1)
Aardvarck - Nosestep (Original Mix)
Jean Jacques Smoothie - 2 People
Instra:mental - Pyramid
Grimm Limbo - Fortune Favours the Brave
R A G - Rage (Spaventi &Aroy Raw Mix)
Ronnie Dyson - All Over Your Face
Jamie xx - Far Nearer (Bootleg)
Axel Boman - Purple Drank
Loosse - About You (feat. Yolanda)
Anette Party - Moreno (feat. Anita Coke)
Gino Soccio - Dancer
Mr Beatnick - Synthetes
Funke, Sacha vs Nina Kraviz - Moses (Stimming Remix)
Jamie xx &Gil Scott Heron - I'll Take Care of U (Special DJ Version)
Genius of Time - Houston We Have a Problem
Austin Eterno/The xx - I Remember Shelter
James Blake - Libra (Edit)
Pangaea - Bear Witness
Holly Miranda - Slow Burn Treason
Peter Horrevorts - Siren
Chuck Roberts - My House (Acappella)
Virgo Four - Do You Know Who You Are?
Morning Factory - Diane's Love
Karen Pollack - You Can't Touch Me (Roc &Kato Vocal Beat Trip Mix)
War - The World Is A Ghetto (Special Disco Mix)
Marshall Jefferson - Mushrooms (Justin Martin Mix)
Radiohead - Bloom (Jamie xx Rework)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gaf, I need to make it through this Monday, recommend me some good electronic music I may not have heard. I enjoy Chromeo, Sam Sparro, etc.

:)

joelseph

Made it through my first listen of Jamie's Essential mix. The standout for me was

Austin Eterno/The xx - I Remember Shelter
James Blake - Libra (Edit)
Pangaea - Bear Witness

Specially the Shelter into Libra.

joelseph

Also, right after

Peter Horrevorts - Siren
Chuck Roberts - My House (Acappella)
Virgo Four - Do You Know Who You Are?
Morning Factory - Diane's Love

Basically, when he starts fucking with House the entire mix is just elevated. The man is a genius when it comes to track selections for what he is feeling.

djtiesto said:
I met him this weekend, he was a decent guy. Sasha was at Sw4 so we met up with him and saw him (Sasha is his favourite DJ) and it was good. If memory serves he said he has 12 Albums! I need to check some of it out.

Need to get on that JamieXX mix right now!

joelseph said:
Made it through my first listen of Jamie's Essential mix.
I remember people on FACT were ripping him for the bad mixing when he did that mix with oneman or whoever. Clearly that was an exception, I'm totally happy with the transitions and stuff on this.

Love that I remember shelter too

daviyoung

Banned
Johnlenham said:
I met him this weekend, he was a decent guy. Sasha was at Sw4 so we met up with him and saw him (Sasha is his favourite DJ) and it was good. If memory serves he said he has 12 Albums! I need to check some of it out.

Sasha has 1 true album. It's called Airdrawndagger. He's also got a couple of remix albums called Involver. The rest of those albums are mixes and compilations. They're all worth a shot. Fundacion NYC is really good, and still holds up today. His classic mixes are those done with John Digweed (Northern Exposure) and those for Global Underground.

Nyx

daviyoung said:
Nice. Let us hear some mixes man!

Anthony Pappa's DJ Mag Mix from last October is one of the best progressive house mixes I've heard recently. Give it a shot if you haven't heard it

A few years back there was a website called westcoastdjsets or something like that, it had progressive house sets from all the big names dating back to the 90s and the early 00s.

Steve Lawler, Sasha, Saeed & Palash, Behrouz, Sander Kleinenberg...

The only DJ of this bunch that still plays great stuff is Lawler imo.

Oh god Im annoyed, I know hes not massivley loved but turns out Skrillex played at the DnB afterparty and I somehow missed it, Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
We did run into Rob Swire from Pendulum which was pretty awesome though..

Feels-Bad-man.jpg

Ashhong

Tomorrowland is always fucking epic.

Do we have aaaaaaany trance fans in here? :( I could use some new cheesy vocal trance songs with epic chords for a new mix I'm making. Also need "big room" style songs like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HywzibRFW28&ob=av2e

any suggestions?

joelseph

Hell yeah!

I finished my 4th listen and I must say there are quite a few standouts; Ifan Dafydd - No Good and Koreless - Lost in Tokyo to name a couple.

That being said, I still enjoy his mix for Benji the most, the amount of raw feeling in it will never be matched. I would put this right below that and Music to Skate to as his most inspired mixes. He really geeks out when doing these studio mixes.

Now onto something else, not entirely different.

Aeropland August 2011 Mix

1. NYAK - Goin Back
2. Mark Ronson - Record Collection ( Perseus Remix )
3.Honom - Bedcat
4.Fred Ventura - The Years ( Go by )
5.Juan Soto - Dance & Claps
6.Elijah Collins & Nist - Love's Down
7.Neighbour - Summertime Girls
8.Cassius - Sound of Violence ( Aeroplane Remix )
9.Joe Goddard - Gabriel
10. The Opiates - Jalousies and Jelaousies ( Kim Ann Foxman Remix )
11. Art of Tones - Too Much
12.Housse De Racket - Roman ( Oliver Remix )

Study this mix for lessons on building track selections.

Top Bottom