• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

daviyoung

Banned
fludevil said:
Royksopp
Crystal Castles
Ratatat
Boards of Canada
Lemon Jelly
Kiln
Lusine
Daft Punk
Tycho
Air
Baths
Four Tet
Digitalism
Simian Mobile Disco
Thunderball

Etienne De Crecy
Bent
System 7
Soulwax
Justice
Apparat
Boys Noize
Telefon Tel Aviv
Peaches
Nightmares on Wax
Swayzak
The Egg
Mylo

devenger

daviyoung said:
Etienne De Crecy
Bent
System 7
Soulwax
Justice
Apparat
Boys Noize
Telefon Tel Aviv
Peaches
Nightmares on Wax
Swayzak
The Egg
Mylo

Thanks, I have some Bent, Nightmares, and Swayzak, so I know you're on the right track. I'll try the rest out.

To Joel, I guess the Digitalism, Simian, Thunderball stuff is nu disco. I didn't even know that was a genre. Someone suggested RJD2 and it was TOO disco, or too funky. It was too something. Also, I assumed everything was electro, guess not.

I tried to list a mix of artists, as I do a lot of BOC, Kiln, Mum, Helios, Tycho, quiet ambient stuff at night. By day, its a lot of bouncier stuff like Daft Punk, Mux Mool, and Castles etc.

Also currently digging Ott, Younger Brother, Blutech, Sounds From the Ground. Most of that stuff is, I dunno, spacier. I have no idea what genre its considered.

daviyoung

Banned
fludevil said:
Also currently digging Ott, Younger Brother, Blutech, Sounds From the Ground. Most of that stuff is, I dunno, spacier. I have no idea what genre its considered.

Psychill. Younger Brother is fantastic, so's anything by Simon Posford though. I'm not sure if he's still producing though.

If you haven't checked out Shpongle or Blue Planet Corporation or anything from Twisted Records do it now!

devenger

daviyoung said:
Psychill. Younger Brother is fantastic, so's anything by Simon Posford though. I'm not sure if he's still producing though.

If you haven't checked out Shpongle or Blue Planet Corporation or anything from Twisted Records do it now!

Ok, I knew I was going to see Shpongle, and I'll have to give it another try. First attempt it seemed too weird, all over the place. I like my beep boops a little more structured. Heading for Twisted Records NOW.

Psychill. That fits perefectly, and is also my new superhero name.

joelseph

I am getting back into the heavy UK sound. Been listening to a ton of old Dusk & Blackdown podcasts with Keysounds. And scooped a nasty Mista Men mixtape off soundcloud. Cheese!

joelseph

Red_Man said:
Anyone have any recommendations for good vocal electronic tracks?

SBTRKT:SBTRKT (click album art for Amazon link)

James Blake:James Blake (Click album art for Amazon link)

Gil Scott Heron and Jamie XX:We are New Here (click album art for Amazon link)

Divius

^Just found out SBTRKT is coming to Amsterdam in October and I'm also seeing James Blake in November, yay. Hopefully I can find someone to accompany me to SBTRKT.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Also does anyone here listen to The Presets? Their last album is one of my all time favourites, and I'm looking for stuff similar to them.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yea thats been my problem, its been a bitch finding similar stuff, but the Holy Ghost stuff is pretty good :), now I just need The Presets to finally come out with a 3rd album....

devenger

Patrick Bateman said:
Digitalism – Circles

New video of Digitalism.

The album is very good, a little more vocal than I like, but as long as I skip Forrest Gump, it doesn't overwhelm me.

I picked up the Take, Kona Triangle and Tokimonsta last night off Amazon.

@davi Yep Shpongle was much too ... argh, something. All over the place. Too psychedelic maybe. So weird that Younger Brother sounds completely different.

I also don't understand the Justice love. It sounds like more generic Daft Punk to me.

Any suggestions for more Sci-Fi sounding stuff? Midtempo, spacier sound? (Zero One, Blutech, etc)

joelseph

Seems like there is already a 2nd podcast out too, will have to scoop once I am done with this. Clek Clek Boom is def a label to watch.

My goodness! There is a remix of Girl Unit's Wut on the first one that is just fucking getting on top of me. Must have.

Alucrid

Banned
I hate my life. I always listen to mixes, then a few days later a song from it will pop into my head, and now I have no clue where to find it.

okno

joelseph said:
Seems like there is already a 2nd podcast out too, will have to scoop once I am done with this. Clek Clek Boom is def a label to watch.

My goodness! There is a remix of Girl Unit's Wut on the first one that is just fucking getting on top of me. Must have.
Don't have time to listen to it, but it's not Claude Von Stroke's remix, is it? That shit is blowing up.

daviyoung

Banned
fludevil said:
@davi Yep Shpongle was much too ... argh, something. All over the place. Too psychedelic maybe. So weird that Younger Brother sounds completely different.

I also don't understand the Justice love. It sounds like more generic Daft Punk to me.

Any suggestions for more Sci-Fi sounding stuff? Midtempo, spacier sound? (Zero One, Blutech, etc)

Hmm, I have no idea. Jesper Kyd and Jon Hopkins maybe? Di.fm have a Space Dreams channel, give that a go. It's mostly ambient synth stuff, from what I've heard.

Alucrid said:
I hate my life. I always listen to mixes, then a few days later a song from it will pop into my head, and now I have no clue where to find it.

Happens too often to me. Usually I can remember the mix, re-listen and jot down a time for the song. Then I can try and find a tracklist for it.

talkinghead

Neo Member
fludevil said:
The album is very good, a little more vocal than I like, but as long as I skip Forrest Gump, it doesn't overwhelm me.

I picked up the Take, Kona Triangle and Tokimonsta last night off Amazon.

There's a recently released space-ambient compilation from the ukrainian label Sentimony.
http://www.sentimony.com/sencd010.htm

I bought it a while ago, i think it might be your taste.

fludevil said:

I love this style of music.

Saafi Brothers (Supernatural and Midnight Children in particular), Shulman, Solar Fields, Zero Cult, Hibernation, Invisible Allies, Phutureprimitive. All of these are great psychill artists.

For spacey sci-fi/chill sort of stuff that doesn't quite fit that mold...Bola (the album Soup especially!), Arovane, Esem, Dryft, Quench, Plaid and the father of sci-fi synthery Jean Michel Jarre.

I've got a lot of stuff like this, so anything that jumps out in particular let me know and I'll find more in that vein.

Might as well link this mix I made. It's kind of in the same style: http://www.filedropper.com/atmosphericspaces

joelseph said:
If I had to umbrella your tastes I would say nu-disco/electro
I hate to be that guy but there's no electro in that list. Electro is an actual genre and it doesn't sound anything like Daft Punk or Justice.
Aux 88 - Electro/Techno
Anthony Rother - Genstruktur
Ectomorph - Satori
Drexciya - Aquarazorda
Mr Velcro Fastener - Bend
I hope you don't take offense. I just think that it's a shame that this genre gets overlooked because people associate electro with Daft Punk and Justice

Johnlenham said:
But isnt "Electro" just short for Electronic Music, which they all clearly are?!

I just dont know what to think anymore :(

No my friend, I can see how you might come to that conclusion but definitely not!

"Electro" is a sizeable genre unto itself so it just won't do as a catch all. Perhaps the term "electronica" might suit?

daviyoung

Banned
Electro to me used to mean Afrika Bambaataa. Broken techno beats, hip hop influences and lots of 303. Nowadays it can mean Calvin Harris. The genre definition is an umbrella, like house.

daviyoung said:
Electro to me used to mean Afrika Bambaataa. Broken techno beats, hip hop influences and lots of 303. Nowadays it can mean Calvin Harris. The genre definition is an umbrella, like house.

Thats what I thought, Like someone said to me a week back that this guy they were going on a date with is into "progressive house".
So many bloody names for som many genres!

And to celebrate my works internet filter now misses youtube!
Stardust - Music Sounds Better with You just because its a tune from days gone by!

I must have missed quite abit from that era as I was fourteen/fifteen at the time washing pots and pans in the back of a pub when I first heard it along with Daft punk!

joelseph

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
I hate to be that guy but there's no electro in that list. Electro is an actual genre and it doesn't sound anything like Daft Punk or Justice.
Aux 88 - Electro/Techno
Anthony Rother - Genstruktur
Ectomorph - Satori
Drexciya - Aquarazorda
Mr Velcro Fastener - Bend
I hope you don't take offense. I just think that it's a shame that this genre gets overlooked because people associate electro with Daft Punk and Justice

No offense taken friend. In my opinion, the umbrella term "Electro" is used for "Electro-house" which in my opinion is definitely on the list. What I think you are posting is electronica and techno. And for the record, I personally don't like Daft Punk or Justice or electro or techno. =)

joelseph said:

Youtube comments crack me up
"My favourite lyric is "i may funinloneno nooow I payy phone do lone dee lone Zobi dombi dombi dome" "

Dont like Daft punk though..
mutant%20frog%20explode%20get%20out%20.gif

;)

joelseph

Johnlenham said:
Cant stop listening to this "mix tape" or whatever else they call it
The Weeknd - Thursday
I have nothing else even remotley close to The Weeknd in my music collection and yet I still really like it.

Get Frank Ocean's "Nostalgia, Ultra", another free R&B tape that is awesome. As you probably already know I love rap and r&b just as much as house. I think we will see the two completely merge in our time.

joelseph said:
No offense taken friend. In my opinion, the umbrella term "Electro" is used for "Electro-house" which in my opinion is definitely on the list. What I think you are posting is electronica and techno. And for the record, I personally don't like Daft Punk or Justice or electro or techno. =)
That's real electro but the line between electro and early detroit techno is pretty blurry. "Proper" techno however is completely different. Electronica actually isn't a genre and was just a buzz word made up by journalists to describe bands like The Prodigy.
Sorry for being a genre nazi :p

joelseph

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
That's real electro but the line between electro and early detroit techno is pretty blurry. "Proper" techno however is completely different. Electronica actually isn't a genre and was just a buzz word made up by journalists to describe bands like The Prodigy.
Sorry for being a genre nazi :p

Tis all good, I am just happy to see more peeps in here discussing the music. =)

Slizz said:
DL his first tape House of Balloons you'll like that just as much.
Oh sorry I meant I had both of them but no other artists like it.
House of ballons will forever be assosiated with driving back from Glastonbury half asleep/half still high.

Though I think I would probbaly cherry pick songs from both and make some kind of House of Thursday mix tape.

Poimandres said:
I love this style of music.

Saafi Brothers (Supernatural and Midnight Children in particular), Shulman, Solar Fields, Zero Cult, Hibernation, Invisible Allies, Phutureprimitive. All of these are great psychill artists.

For spacey sci-fi/chill sort of stuff that doesn't quite fit that mold...Bola (the album Soup especially!), Arovane, Esem, Dryft, Quench, Plaid and the father of sci-fi synthery Jean Michel Jarre.

I've got a lot of stuff like this, so anything that jumps out in particular let me know and I'll find more in that vein.

Might as well link this mix I made. It's kind of in the same style: http://www.filedropper.com/atmosphericspaces
Dryft are incredible and so is gridlock (his band before he started Dryft)

devenger

@Poimandras and Daviyoung; thanks for the suggestions. Can't check it from work, but I'll peruse your suggestions on Spotify tonight.

Also, Spotify. Wow. I just got on last night thanks to another GAFfer, and I wont be listening to Amazon samples anymore.

I was surprised when Joelseph lumped my list into "electro" nu-disco as well. Genre names are important to me only for finding like minded listeners and new music, so its helpful to find some agreement.

For instance, what would you call AWOLNATION? House? Because that happens to be most of the elctronic I don't like, where it just sounds like the same groove through the whole song with changeups here and there. I guess its a more DJ sound. I dont mind that for ambient or drone, but I need a little more structure in my uptempo stuff.

I am really enjoying this Kona Triangle. Looks like I have to try some Lone too, same guy.

Top Bottom