• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Merino said:
Leftism should indeed have been nominated. Somehow it fell under the radar with 400+ other albums. The omissions actually made me want to run the tournament a second time but the 2 year timeframe and full-on serious attitude towards each selection had kinda turned everyone off.
I've actually re-read your original post (my eyes went straight to "Top 200" then immediately shut everything else off) and that knockout idea is fucking awesome.

Judging by your list, I might also recommend something that might've flown under your radar, an album by Infusion called Phrases & Numbers. It's old but it's REALLY good.

Anyone got any mix suggestions for a house party?

My ipod has the probelm of being mostly drum and bass/ dubstep so its pretty hard to get a good song selection going for the start of a party, you know when people are still turning up, chatting that sort of thing as its abit "heavy"

I was thinking maybe something housemusicey but Im open to anything at this point!

Merino

Shaneus said:
I've actually re-read your original post (my eyes went straight to "Top 200" then immediately shut everything else off) and that knockout idea is fucking awesome.

Judging by your list, I might also recommend something that might've flown under your radar, an album by Infusion called Phrases & Numbers. It's old but it's REALLY good.
Yeah I thought the double knockout idea was awesome as well when we started. Really though it's to intensive a system and requires to much effort.

Realize that with 256 entries you'll end up with a total of 512 pairs of albums that have to be voted on. Even taking 1 pair a day (and that's quite intensive, listening fairly attentive to two albums each day) it will take 512 days to complete. Naturally limiting to 128 entries it would give you a total of 256 pairs over the tournament but that will still take over a year to complete at a murdering listening pace.
A problem of double knockout lies very much in an extra 'half' round that will have to be played, see this example (bold = win):

Round 1 Ladder A:
A1 - A2
A3 - A4
A5 - A6
A7 - A8

Round 1 Ladder B:
empty

*A1, A4, A6, A7 demoted to B Ladder*
--------------------------------------------
Round 2 Ladder A:
A2 - A8
A3 - A5

Round 2 Ladder B:
A1 - A7
A4 - A6

*A1, A6 are out of the tournament; A8, A3 are demoted to B Ladder*
--------------------------------------------
Round 2,5 Ladder B:
A8 - A7
A4 - A3

*Whereas the A Ladder only has two more albums left B Ladder has 4 albums now due to the recent demotion from A in Round 2, thus an extra round is played to even the numbers in both groups*
So the number of pairs to be voted become tripled (instead of just a Round 2 with 4 albums you now have a Round 2A, Round 2B and Round 2,5B with 4 albums each) and thus the length of the endeavor is tripled accordingly.

The benefit off course is that you avoid loosing a top runner early on in the tournament due to a unfortunate pairing of two top runners.
A good example in our tournament was Marc Leclair - Musique Pour 3 Femmes Enceintes which lost in the very first round in an unfortunate match-up against Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works '85-'92. It then went on to battle itself through the entire B Ladder group through 12 rounds (6 full rounds and 6 half rounds) to end up at the 5th spot on the list.

Ashhong

So I know trance is pretty dead in here, but is anybody going to see Armin Only at Monster Massive this year? I told myself I would never go to MM because of how ghetto I've heard it is, but holy fuck I cannot miss Armin Only. It just may be the best show of my life.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ashhong said:
So I know trance is pretty dead in here, but is anybody going to see Armin Only at Monster Massive this year? I told myself I would never go to MM because of how ghetto I've heard it is, but holy fuck I cannot miss Armin Only. It just may be the best show of my life.

I'll be honest, I saw Armin at EZoo and actually enjoyed myself! Even more shocking is my favorite set of the show was Above and Beyond! Turns out I like trance more nowadays than I thought (well at least compared to stuff like dutch house, moombathon, and dubstep)... but also a lot of the DJs were playing classics from "back in the day" when I was a huge fan - I heard Out of the Blue, Madagascar, Helsinki Scorchin, Not Over Yet, and Love Comes Again. Hell I even broke out Oakenfold's Tranceport comp today to reminisce.

This doesn't mean I'm gonna start spinning the stuff though, unless at a party and it's really requested... I'm still a funky/deep/proggy house guy first and foremost.

okno

So, Scuba's Adrenaline EP is balls awesome.

First, you have Adrenaline, in all it's UK House, with a pitch-perfect rave break in the middle, glory.

Then, you have Never, giving a fantastic nod to Chicago House.

Finally, you have Everywhere, which brings you back to the late 90s Ibiza House, with none of the cheese.

It's a fantastic EP. It's rehashed sounds, but it's done with such precision and class that you can't listen to it and say it's dated. It takes everything that was amazing about the classic rave days and cuts out all of the bullshit that destroyed it. It's a revivalist EP, and such an amazing breath of fresh air.

ps: sorry for the quality of "Never" and "Everywhere." You can find better quality samples elsewhere, but I'm short on time.

Ashhong

djtiesto said:
I'll be honest, I saw Armin at EZoo and actually enjoyed myself! Even more shocking is my favorite set of the show was Above and Beyond! Turns out I like trance more nowadays than I thought (well at least compared to stuff like dutch house, moombathon, and dubstep)... but also a lot of the DJs were playing classics from "back in the day" when I was a huge fan - I heard Out of the Blue, Madagascar, Helsinki Scorchin, Not Over Yet, and Love Comes Again. Hell I even broke out Oakenfold's Tranceport comp today to reminisce.

This doesn't mean I'm gonna start spinning the stuff though, unless at a party and it's really requested... I'm still a funky/deep/proggy house guy first and foremost.

Listened to Armins set from EZoo and it indeed was great. I've noticed a lot of trance now has kind of stepped into more electro or house sounds. Even the "cheesy" vocal tracks that most of you guys dont like now implement some kind of electro sound better for dancing and parties.

I heard A&B's set was really good...freakin Sirius didn't air it! So jelly :(

Davidion

Johnlenham said:

My ipod has the probelm of being mostly drum and bass/ dubstep so its pretty hard to get a good song selection going for the start of a party, you know when people are still turning up, chatting that sort of thing as its abit "heavy"

I was thinking maybe something housemusicey but Im open to anything at this point!

Procure:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/claytonfulcrum

I do like Above and Beyond, though their live show get abit cheesy near then end with their background board with loving your first kid and all that sort of cheesy stuff.

Ashhong

Johnlenham said:
I do like Above and Beyond, though their live show get abit cheesy near then end with their background board with loving your first kid and all that sort of cheesy stuff.

It's pretty awesome and not cheesy at all when youre at a show with all of your friends
and on drugs

leadbelly

Banned
Johnlenham said:

Drum and Bass you say? hmmm

Drop with this? You could call it "Jungle" maybe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QG6MXcXSo&feature=related

Wait... too dark? :p

Ashhong said:
It's pretty awesome and not cheesy at all when youre at a show with all of your friends
and on drugs
Haha Ive seen them with my best friends but when it came up with "remember the look on your childs new born face?" and we just turned and looked at eachother like "wtf?!" then burst out laughing, the spoiler was also a go ;)

leadbelly said:
Drum and Bass you say? hmmm

Drop with this? You could call it "Jungle" maybe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9QG6MXcXSo&feature=related

Wait... too dark? :p

Aha well its not me that says it, I could quite happily stick on UKF, something from Ram or Hospitality but when people are showing up at 8 and sober as a judge its abit "intense" (again not my words) for normal folk aha

leadbelly

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Aha well its not me that says it, I could quite happily stick on UKF, something from Ram or Hospitality but when people are showing up at 8 and sober as a judge its abit "intense" (again not my words) for normal folk aha

Yeah. I wasn't really being serious. Still... It would be fun starting off with that. :D

Ashhong

Johnlenham said:
Haha Ive seen them with my best friends but when it came up with "remember the look on your childs new born face?" and we just turned and looked at eachother like "wtf?!" then burst out laughing, the spoiler was also a go ;)

Haha, well I've never seen that up, usually its just like "Remember this moment" or something cheesy like that. I probably would have laughed at that too if I saw it.

joelseph said:
1 hour mixtape I made this week, please note I hit my limit on my first SC account so this is a new account.

http://soundcloud.com/joelparrett/a-move

House, all tracks are in the major cord. There is a sweet Foamo remix of Far Nearer in there.

Slizz will like this =)
Been listening to this so many times the last week or so. Anyway you could provide a tracklist joel? Fantastic stuff man!

Edit: Or if anything, just the 2nd track.

Hey GAF!

Just wanted to let you all know that I am currently beginning my venture into making electronic music (as well as singing with the music in the future) and I have a soundcloud that has just two tracks that i've made so far.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could take some time to check out my songs and give me some feedback/advice.

Thanks!

Here it is:
http://soundcloud.com/filthy-paw

joelseph

Metroid Killer said:
Been listening to this so many times the last week or so. Anyway you could provide a tracklist joel? Fantastic stuff man!

Man I keep forgetting, I promised someone else earlier in the thread too. Tell you what I am going to do, I am going to get that tracklist and something a little extra too. Watch back tonight, writing this shit on my hand in black ink.

joelseph

I want to get your guys opinions...

So I have not owned a pair of 1200s from over 10 years. I have been wanting to get a used pair again but have not been actively searching. Along comes an offer from an old friend that lives in the city. He is looking to dump his 2 mint 1200 mk2, with coffin, mixer (numark but w/e), needles, and 600+ records (old house, garage, and techno all from the early 90s.) I want to be all over it but the price seems high. he wants 3 for the deal but would do 2.5 for an old friend. Still seems high. I know it's the records that are driving it up but what would you be willing to buy that for? Money is not the issue I just don't know if I am ready to spend it to adopt an older record collection when I mainly want the tables...

joelseph

Syracuse022 said:
EDIT: I fucking love how he manages to work at least one Burial track into every mix and it's almost always as a completely organic sounding extension from an xx track.

Good luck trying to buy that fucker too. Been on every waiting list for it and not a single peep. And I missed the free promo from XL last week with his Gil Scott track. And I literally missing these by hours. Kid is super hot.

joelseph

Metroid Killer said:

Here you go

Rockit Man (ft. Silk E) Zion I & The Grouch
Ghost Skanky
Far Nearer (Foamo Refix) Jamie xx
Up Down Up Down Koreless
Myrryrs - Feel U - Voltrons Another Love Lost
Woman Like Me (Cousin Cole Remix) Willy Joy
Let Me Know (Tasting) (5kinAndBone5 & Vin Sol Garage & Patio RMX) Brenmar
On The Nile (BFlecha Remix) Jay Weed
Fire Extinguisher Boy 8-Bit
Got U (Canblaster & Berou Bonus Remix) Nguzunguzu
Look At Me (Bok Bok Remix) Lil' Scrappy
Youngin on his Grind (Bosstone Remix) Wiz Khalifa
débruit's Pony débruit
Draped Up Vlsonn
Motivation (Grown Folk Bootleg) The-Dream, Kelly Rowland, Lil Wayne

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gav said:
RIP DJ Mehdi.

Horrible news.

Wow, very sad. Guy was only 34 :(

I don't really know much about the guy, apart for seeing him for a few minutes at Electric Zoo last year while waiting for Aeroplane to come on, still very sad to hear this.

joelseph

djtiesto said:
Wow, very sad. Guy was only 34 :(

I don't really know much about the guy, apart for seeing him for a few minutes at Electric Zoo last year while waiting for Aeroplane to come on, still very sad to hear this.

He had some cool rap edits and could make a mean mixtape but I was never really feeling his production. more a sign of the french scene then his talent though. My heart goes out to his family and friends. RIP.

Alucrid

Banned
joelseph said:
Deep into the mix after the Janet Jackson edit there is some straight fire. Was there a tracklisting?

Looked at the original source of it and found this

this mix comes to us without a tracklist (surprises are nice sometimes) but with a context setting message from jacques - 'summer winds to an end. tour approaches.a collection of tracks new and old, fast and slow to get into the right head space to get it in.'

:(

Soundcloud link of the mix thought, dunno if it has what you're looking for in the comments.

Merino said:
Here you go the Top200 even (the bottom 50 isn't interesting enough to mention):
*huge list*
That's a prett nice list. Very nice to see all the Drexciya love and Gridlock's Formless ranking so high. No Download on that list makes me very sad though, why are they so underappreciated?
And nice to see a Merzbow album on that list, haha. That list could definitely use some industrial and post-industrual stuff but you were focusing on electro and idm so that's cool.

okno

Stoked to check out that Jacques Greene mix tonight! Sounds dope.

Just saw this pop up on my Facebook feed from Instra:mental : http://binarycollective.co.uk/

It's unreal. It's a deeply unsettling track with a sick groove accompanied by a bizarre video that looks straight out of a Gaspar Noe movie. This is all the info there is about it:

Surus.co.uk said:
XXX001
The Binary Collective

"The Binary Collective is a new project formed by the Autonomic family in order to make spontaneous music as a collective with multiple inputs from whoever happens to be in the studio at the time. It could be two people involved on production duties or it could be four or more such as on this first release. Made on a drunken afternoon crammed into Rosies Box (dbridges Studio), the collective put their talents together and the tracks formed themselves like Voltron, The Binary Collective was born."

The first release is limited to 300 vinyl and the digital versions will be exclusive to the Surus store for 2 weeks
http://www.surus.co.uk/xxx/xxx001-13810.aspx

Really rad.

joelseph

I have been home sick watching second rate sci-fi on netflix and listening to music. It get's kind of boring so I made this hour mix with a bunch of tracks that I like, nothing sticks around too long on this one.

http://soundcloud.com/joelseph/zzz-tops

I Will Come Back (DJ Mehdi Remix) Holy Ghost!
James Vincent McMorrow - If I Had A Boat (Star Slinger's R 'n' B Mix)
Acoustic Lady - Hudson Mohawke
Synth #Swag KeyBoard Kid
Bossalinis & Fooliyones Main Attrakionz
Infinity The xx
Radio Ladio (Micachu Remix)
Jammin (Black Label Edit) Show-B
I Mind James Blake
Uptown (ft Bun B & Lil' Wayne) CS Drake
Basquiat Zomby
Purple Swag ASAP Rocky
Destiny Reprise DJ Nature
On and Ever Onward Dirty Projectors + Björk
Are You... Can You... Were You? Shabazz Palaces
Peoples Potential Floating Points
5h0bud//c30n3 c0ld lk3
Mystery Miles Davis
5h0bud//c30n3 c0ld lk3
Tunnelvision Mount Kimbie
Blackberry Molasses Donnis
Kill Your Co-Workers Flying Lotus
Wishes (Unreleased) Keyboard Kid
Based 4 Ya Face Lil B
Neon Indian - Mind, drips (Mirror People Remix)Whea Yo Ghost At, Whea Yo Dead Man DJ Elmoe
My Chippy - Flying Lotus
Ode To Bear Mount Kimbie
Strange Powers MMMMMMMM
It's Raining Clouds Blockhead
Out Of Mind (Implex & Spherique Remix) Miusha
Freaks and Geeks (Star Slinger Remix) Childish Gambino
Taking Me Back (Dj Shadow Remix)(3) NiT GriT

Kraftwerk

The 3 Untitled tracks are just...so minimal. Mmmmmmm

jDf8D.jpg

Shaneus

Do people still listen to breaks? I was driving around today listening to an old Infusion EM and for some reason something on there reminded me of this:
Jono Fernandez - Stitch Face (Vandal remix)

Used to love it many years ago, but I haven't seen much of it since. Almost seems like the complete antithesis of breaks is what's popular at the moment, that being "dubstep".

AcridMeat

Banned
Has been a while since I've been in here. The Mehdi news was really depressing, had an album of his on all night that day.

I'm just listening to Porter Robinson's new EP today. Unison is a lovely lovely track, for a synth loving babby like myself.

edit: Oh and I have checked out DJ Shadow's new album. What are your guys' consensus? It's interesting, not sure how I feel about it.

Top Bottom