• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

okno

Shaneus said:
Robag was fucking awesome. Really different music that was both enjoyable and a bit of a challenge to get into.

One track of his that he didn't play is this. Old, but AMAZING. Everyone should listen:
The MFA - The Difference it Makes (Superpitcher remix)
I have a love/hate relationship with Robag for this very reason. A lot of his material is really obscure, but it keeps drawing you back and the more you listen to it, the more you notice the little details that make his tracks especially unique. It'd be rad if the Brothers came back for a reunion tour, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Shaneus

okno said:
I have a love/hate relationship with Robag for this very reason. A lot of his material is really obscure, but it keeps drawing you back and the more you listen to it, the more you notice the little details that make his tracks especially unique. It'd be rad if the Brothers came back for a reunion tour, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
You say "love/hate" but there's nothing in what you said that covers the "hate" part ;)

To be honest, I really only knew of him because of Wortkabular but was pleasantly surprised to the point of being amazed with everything else he played, regardless of whether he had a hand in producing the track or not. I loved that a song might start off with a mega-twisted bassline/backing track (for example) but to make it listenable he doesn't pull any instruments back, he'll just slowly introduce something simple, melodic and (compared to the other layers of the song) almost cheerful.

Trying to describe what I took from his set makes me feel like I'm coming off as some pretentious wanker, but it really felt like it was some of the most intelligent electronic music I'd ever heard. Not to mention that he has the audacity to make it all seem so effortless... that bastard.

okno

Shaneus said:
You say "love/hate" but there's nothing in what you said that covers the "hate" part ;)

To be honest, I really only knew of him because of Wortkabular but was pleasantly surprised to the point of being amazed with everything else he played, regardless of whether he had a hand in producing the track or not. I loved that a song might start off with a mega-twisted bassline/backing track (for example) but to make it listenable he doesn't pull any instruments back, he'll just slowly introduce something simple, melodic and (compared to the other layers of the song) almost cheerful.

Trying to describe what I took from his set makes me feel like I'm coming off as some pretentious wanker, but it really felt like it was some of the most intelligent electronic music I'd ever heard. Not to mention that he has the audacity to make it all seem so effortless... that bastard.

The hate comes from the fact that for a lot of his material you need to keep revisiting it for it to become palatable. I've had a lot of his stuff in my catalog for a while, and it often won't be until several months after I get it that it will click and I will let out a huge, "OOOOOHHHHHH, I get it!" A lot of people love his stuff outright, but I don't. Some of his stuff is just so out there that I can't get in to it, and then other things will be so deceptively simple and cliche-seeming that I'll just ignore it until one day I hear it and suddenly it just makes sense. I still don't really love the guy. I respect him a lot, and will always keep my ear to the ground for new stuff by him, but he's by no means a favorite of mine. Ultimately, I enjoy his live sets 100x more than his productions. And, for the record, I loved the shit out of "Worktabular" the first time I heard it.

Now, let's talk about Jon Convex. Jon Convex is awesome. http://soundcloud.com/3024world/sets/3024-014-jon-convex He calls this "sexystep," and I agree. Also, the new George Fitzgerald, "Hearts," is glorious. http://soundcloud.com/platform/george-fitzgerald-hearts NNGGGHH.

Merino

Shaneus said:
I'd never heard of it at all! Was lucky that Shazam managed to work for that one as it didn't for any other tracks. There was one I managed to pluck from thin air, though. Different but great remix of an old track
Whirlpool Productions – From Disco To Disco (Wighnomy Brothers Remix)
(Robag is one of the "brothers")
dude the Wighnomy Brothers were sooo awesome when playing live together. Also totally wasted on vodka every single time but that never intruded on the amazing minimal vibe they set with their mixing.

Robag has been making amazing tracks and remixes for years. Definitely one of my favorite producers. His mixes are great too and still mixed on vinyl rather than the ever so popular ableton.

One of my favorite Robag mixes;
Triola - Leuchtturm (Wighnomy's Polarzipper Remix)

Shaneus

okno said:
The hate comes from the fact that for a lot of his material you need to keep revisiting it for it to become palatable. I've had a lot of his stuff in my catalog for a while, and it often won't be until several months after I get it that it will click and I will let out a huge, "OOOOOHHHHHH, I get it!" A lot of people love his stuff outright, but I don't. Some of his stuff is just so out there that I can't get in to it, and then other things will be so deceptively simple and cliche-seeming that I'll just ignore it until one day I hear it and suddenly it just makes sense. I still don't really love the guy. I respect him a lot, and will always keep my ear to the ground for new stuff by him, but he's by no means a favorite of mine. Ultimately, I enjoy his live sets 100x more than his productions. And, for the record, I loved the shit out of "Worktabular" the first time I heard it.

Now, let's talk about Jon Convex. Jon Convex is awesome. http://soundcloud.com/3024world/sets/3024-014-jon-convex He calls this "sexystep," and I agree. Also, the new George Fitzgerald, "Hearts," is glorious. http://soundcloud.com/platform/george-fitzgerald-hearts NNGGGHH.
Yeah, totally know where you're coming from. It was pretty obvious from his set which ones were his and not all of them were great or just seemed wacky for the sake of it. Since last night I've listened to a few more of his tracks on YT (admittedly, on laptop speakers) and couldn't get into them as much as some of the ones he played last night. The ones that he did play last night that clicked just blew me away.

Listening to those Jon Convex tracks now... very nice. Great to hear some bouncy funk in such digital-sounding tracks (if you know what I mean). Gives a real 80s vibe to something that's so obviously modern. Thanks for the tip! Will have to let that Fitzgerald track simmer for a bit though, I think... hasn't grabbed me (yet).
Merino said:
Sounds like Axel F/Harold Faltermeyer on acid. Really, really good.
Merino said:
Let's add to that great oldie with another great Superpitcher remix;

M83 - Don't Save Us From The Flames (Superpitcher remix)
That's really, really good too. Sounds like the sort of track I'd listen to if I wind up home by myself after a night out. Not that I don't want to do the research, but does the majority of Superpitcher's stuff have that big room, drivey, progressive yet ambient and uplifting vibe to it? Always adore those songs... usually the most likely to get me dancing on the spot regardless of where I hear them :D

Ashhong

Just thought I'd throw this mashup my friend made in here. He sent it to Kaskade who approved it! He said he might remake it and play it himself at shows. Not my favorite mashup he's done but hey, whatever it takes to get some exposure.

http://soundcloud.com/photik/kaskade-vs-swedish-house-mafia/

It's Swedish House Mafia - Save The World vs Kaskade - Eyes

Shaneus

Judderman said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's a song by The Third Twin.

I swear I had heard it before and it was during that whole hooplah about the "unreleased Daft Punk Tron: Legacy tracks"
I didn't think that it was legit... production was too clean and too modern. Has to be an epic fuckload of stuff out there that's misattributed to Daft Punk.

This isn't one of them, but easily could be:
Madeon - Shuriken
Very "Discovery"-era DP. Shit, you could even tell someone it was an extra they left off the album and they wouldn't doubt you.

Nyx

Made a new mix, containing minimal, deephouse, and techhouse.

George Hefner - Sundaymornings vol. 2

122-125 BPM

64:50

1. Philippe Autuori - Redemption (Peace Division Remix)
2. Nick Harris - Big Dub (Justin Drake Remix)
3. Mario Zar, Marco Berto - La Jungle (Peace Division Deep In The Jungle Instrumental Mix)
4. Aural Distortion - Plasma (Peter Dildo Mix)
5. Peace Division - Gotta Have You (Rozzo Mix)
6. Hooved - Newyorkesi
7. Clark Davis - Nightliner (Re-UP Remix)
8. Lee Curtiss - Trip To The Woodshed
9. Phage, Daniel Dreier - Korgi Morgi
10. Rio Padice - Gook (Re-UP Remix)
11. Micha Klang - Geschichten Aus Jemineh (Mathias Kaden Remix)
12. Luca Morris - Ribotrex
13. Drehkontrolle - Der Sturm
14. Ross Evana - Foor Floors
15. Re-UP - Inside Us
16. Leon (Italy) - Tarzoon (Martinez Remix)

Hope you enjoy!

Shaneus

Oh, of course. That was just the first one I recognised that came up in a YT search. That one you posted is REALLY nice, though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SecretMoblin said:
I may not be remembering correctly, but didn't Sasha use this in a Creamfields set? Or an Essential Mix?

Regardless, it's a great song.

He played this song a lot back in the day... Fantastic song, they don't make em like this anymore :(

joelseph

the ending is fabulous.

Gavin Bryars – Three Elegies for Nine Clarinets II
Gavin Bryars – Three Elegies for Nine Clarinets III
Odi et Amo – Johann Johannsson
Grouper – Vessel
James Blake – Untitled
James Blake – Untitled
[unknown] – What Was It
The Tallest Man on Earth – Love Is All
SALEM – Redlights
Rev. James Cleveland – Jesus Saves
Trim – Confidence Boost (Harmonimix)
James Blake – Evening Fell Hard For Us
James Blake – Placing Us
James Blake – Words We Both Know
Arthur Russell – Love Comes Back
Stevie Wonder – You and I

crispyben

Shaneus said:
Robag was fucking awesome. Really different music that was both enjoyable and a bit of a challenge to get into.

One track of his that he didn't play is this. Old, but AMAZING. Everyone should listen:
The MFA - The Difference it Makes (Superpitcher remix)
I love this track, even the original is good, but what does Robag have to with it? Or did I misread your post?

EDOT: full official "Drive" stream here... Quite basic as anticipated, but efficient at peak time I guess.

crispyben

ACE 1991 said:
Does anyone have some good recommendations of artists in the same vein as Flying Lotus?
He's in a league of his own, but the ones signed to his Brainfeeder label might be a good place to start: Teebs, Samiyam, Thundercat, Daedalus... I like Nosaj Thing from this scene, too. Otherwise, Mary-Anne Hobbs' compilations Evangeline and Wild Angels could be of help too (especially the latter, even though Flying Lotus appears on the former). But then again, he pretty much does his own thing...

joelseph

crispyben said:
He's in a league of his own, but the ones signed to his Brainfeeder label might be a good place to start: Teebs, Samiyam, Thundercat, Daedalus... I like Nosaj Thing from this scene, too. Otherwise, Mary-Anne Hobbs' compilations Evangeline and Wild Angels could be of help too (especially the latter, even though Flying Lotus appears on the former). But then again, he pretty much does his own thing...

I agree with this post. Also if you enjoy that scene you should look into getting in instrumental hip-hop. Has a lot in common.

okno

crispyben said:

Too true. Brainfeeder is a fantastic label. You should all check out live footage of Flying Lotus and Nosaj Thing, they're light shows are mind-bendingly glorious. I get goosebumps every time. If you can, track down Tokimonsta's RA podcast. It's basically a glorified Brainfeeder sampler, and it's pretty damn good! She's definitely one to watch.

I love all the activity that's going on in this thread, again. Even though it's mostly stuff I no longer listen to, it's just great to see so much discussion going on! Keep it up guys.

I made a promo mix that I'm sending out to a couple of clubs in NYC. It's mostly techno bangers, but there's some nice little tech-house moments to calm things down, but this is definitely a peak-time mix. I think you'll all get something out of it, and I'd appreciate any feedback on it!

PVpA1.png

http://soundcloud.com/erkr/rootsroutesroots

Giorgio Gigli - Individiual Unconscious
Tommy Four Seven - Verge (Sigha Remix)
Tommy Four Seven - Armed 3
ZZT - Vulkan Alarm (Jan Driver Remix)
Giorgio Gigli- Indifferent Sight (Terrence Fixmer Remix)
Niederflur - Vulkanisator
Max Cooper - Darkroom (John Tejada Remix)
Cosmin TRG - Lillasyster
john Spring - Drummachines
Girl Unit - Wut (Claude Vonstroke Undressed Mix)
T47 - Track 5 (Robert Hood Remix)
Erphun - Diatomic (Monoloc Remix)
Peter van Hoesen & Donatto Dozzy - Elektra
Danny Benedettini - Breakdown
Clement Meyer - Sweet Insanity
Cosmin TRG - Want You to Be

Divius

I saw that Wolfgang Gartner has an album out, anyone here like him? I have a few friends who love his music but I'm not really familiar with it.

Shaneus

Yeah, Gartner's awesome. Here's a few off the top of my head which are nice and squelchy for ya:
Deadmau5 & Wolfgang Gartner - Animal Rights (Don't worry, you can't hear much Deadmau5 in it)
Wolfgang Gartner vs. Justice - Illmerica Are Your Friends (Steve Camp mashup) (Steve's actually a good mate of mine, comes from/plays where I live :D)
Wolfgang Gartner - Anthology (Madeon mashup) (A mashup of a shitload of WG tracks by the ever-awesome Madeon)
Andy Caldwell feat. Gramma Funk - Funk Nasty (Wolfgang Gartner remix) (Killer)

That should do you for now :)

He's also good at pushing out an energetic set. Works the crowd, no Ableton (at least, from when I saw him) and just doesn't hold back. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

Almost forgot, one more:
Flashback

crispyben

I thought I'd post a few tracks I like these days, might be a bit different from the dominant genres here, but good anyway:

Gui Boratto "The Drill" from Kompakt Total 12 and III
The Brazilian producer doing his thing: a shuffling, lumbering groovy beast with shining production that would slay the right dancefloor

Housse de Racket "Aquarium" from Alesia
French pop duo produced by Philippe Zdar: don't be put off by the French lyrics, this track will definitely take you places by the end

El Perro del Mar "What Do You Expect"
While working on her new album, the Swedish singer released this surprising newscast-sampling track that brings the Burial side of dubstep to mind

djtiesto

Tiger and Woods this Saturday in NYC!!! I can't wait, totally surprised when I heard about this :O

djtiesto

daviyoung said:

That last link also has every single Essential Mix hosted on it... I have my listening cut out for me!!!

I've been listening to this mix I got off TA... PROGRESSIVE BREAKS!!! <3

Inspired June 2011 (2011-06-29)

01. Stefan Anion - Imagine (Original Mix) [Silk Digital]
02. Alfoa - Largo (Digital Department Remix) [Underground City]
03. Solesystem & El Aero - Birds (Dirty Dub) [Morphosis Limited]
04. Stefan Anion - Strangers (Aeron Aether Remix) [Silk Digital]
05. Oleg Zubkov - New Parallels (Abdomen Burst Remix) [Mistiquemusic]
06. Arthur Deep - Nobody Wants To Die (Original Mix) [Silk Digital]
07. Oleg Zubkov - Indian Hotel (Original Mix) [Morphosis]
08. Michael & Levan and Stiven Rivic - Over The Coast [Mistiquemusic]
09. Ozgur Ozkan - Slow Motion (Blusoul Remix) [Mistiquemusic]
10. Abdomen Burst - Sky In Your Hands (Original Mix) [Silk Digital]
11. Jono Fernandez - Colours Of Conscience (Fretwell Remix) [Electrofly]
12. Steve May - Open Day (Luke Chable Quakes & Craters Mix) [EQ [Grey]]

http://www.archive.org/download/InspiredJune2011/01-atmospheric_energy-inspired_june_2011-sbd-2011-06-29.mp3

Top Bottom