• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Jiggy

For trainer experience, try:

Fisherman Cole or Fisherman Alec on Route 222 - Each one has two Gyarados over level 40, which are really easy with Thunderbolt but give great experience. Cole also has a Remoraid.

Swimmer Sheltin on Route 213 - This guy has three Gyarados, but they're in their low 30s. If you don't have a Pokemon with Thunderbolt, he might be easier, but pack Repels since he's out in the ocean.

PKMN Breeders Albert and Jennifer on Route 209 - They each have a team of four, and even before the Elite 4 I'm pretty sure most of them will be evolved Pokemon. Their final teams are Roserade/Raichu/Sudowoodo/Umbreon and Roserade/Clefable/Mr. Mime/Espeon, but I'm guessing that before the Elite 4 one or two Pokemon per team will be an evolution step down.

colinp said:
Sorry, I don't have a metal coat yet. Also am about to skype someone so I wouldn't be able to help for a few hours... My apologies!

Thanks for offering to help me, I ended up using the GTS trick to evolve them.

Finally picked up my copy of the game. Now lets see how far I get before the knowledge that advanced training practices exist and drive me batty.

mattso

Jiggy said:
It's a good thing you mentioned Gabite since I have to say, Level 50 Battle Factory is really where it's at. Because of the 3-on-3 setting and the raw power that so many level 100s are packing, you can barely risk a switch into anything from anything unless you've got immunity or a 4x resistance. Level 50 is much safer, though it too has its powerhouses--Swalot and Rotom have swept teams on a regular basis for me in a level 50 setting.

I do wish there was a 6-on-6 Battle Factory, though, even if it wasn't the main incarnation. That would be so amazing.

I've only been playing level 50, haven't even tried open level yet. Still can't make it past the 3rd wave of 7

:(

mattso

Sixfortyfive said:
I don't think so.

FYI, using the Vs Seeker is usually a better way of getting EXP than fighting wild Pokemon. Trained Pokemon give 1.5x the experience of equivalent wild ones.
ive only used vs seeker once or twice so far but dont the trainers pokes level up to about where you are too?

Ravidrath

Guess I'll ask my questions again, now that everyone's awake...

1. Has anyone been able to successfully register their Wii with the GTS? I tried last night, and haven't gotten the confirmation e-mail yet.

2. Anyone interested in trading Turtwigs for some Spore / False Swipe Shroomishes? I need one male and one female. PM me if interested!

mattso

Ravidrath said:

1. Has anyone been able to successfully register their Wii with the GTS? I tried last night, and haven't gotten the confirmation e-mail yet.

2. Anyone interested in trading Turtwigs for some Spore / False Swipe Shroomishes? I need one male and one female.
I have some male turtwigs on my diamond cart but I won't have access to that until tomorrow evening. If you still need one then it's all yours.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:

2. Anyone interested in trading Turtwigs for some Spore / False Swipe Shroomishes? I need one male and one female. PM me if interested!

Can only help with 1 right now. I'll give it a shot today (just got back with DSi) and let you know.

mattso

wooooo

beat thorton for the first time. I used purugly, kadabra, and sharpedo. His granbull and shiftry gave me a real hard time but sharpedo pulled through.

edit:

noooooooo

made it to battle 1 of the 5th wave. Picked scizor, tangrowth, and electivire.
1st opponent: skarmory, whiscash, and houndoom.

I switched to electivire to kill skarm, foolishly let whishcash eq it.. tangrowth megadrained it and managed to get houndoom to a teeny red sliver before kicking the bucket... and then scizor got ohkod

:(

so much battling to do again to get to that point.

Yay! Done with the Elite four. I've used only two of my pokemons for them, My level 51 Porygon Z and my level 51 Gyarados. Download rocks. Swept everthing in its path. Then Cynthia [and Garchomp] came and killed 3 of my PKMN. :D Bronzong exploded to ensure my win. Haha.

My team for Elite 4:
LVL 51 Porygon Z
LVL 51 Gyarados
LVL 55 Infernape
LVL 54 Togekiss
LVL 53 Bronzong
LVL 52 Mamoswine

Teknoman

Ah wtf, a modest Chimchar <_>

EDIT: Wait nevermind, a modest Infernape could work.

Oh, Canadians can download the secret key from Toys R Us from the 15th to 29th. So I guess they did that for people who dont have wi-fi access.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
And the trek back to the Spear Pillar is complete.

Dialga - #483 (Modest)
HP: 20 - 21
Att: 18
Def: 16 - 17
SpA: 23 - 24
SpD: 5
Speed: 30

Palkia - #484 (Hasty)
HP: 0 - 1
Att: 22
Def: 29
SpA: 29
SpD: 13 - 14
Speed: 23 - 24

Not perfect, but not too shabby. And it only took 7 Premier Balls total to catch the both of them.

Now to toss this pair of winners into the PC box where they'll rot for months until I can be bothered to train them.

Tenks

I'm having some issues with the Wake gym. His Gyrados just levels all my dudes :/

Waterfall eats my Inernape alive. Bite mangles my haunter and he can two-shot my Kadabra. I can't Earthquake him with my Gible (whatever the 2nd stage evo of him is.)

Time to grind I guess...

Sixfortyfive

Tenks said:
I'm having some issues with the Wake gym. His Gyrados just levels all my dudes :/

Waterfall eats my Inernape alive. Bite mangles my haunter and he can two-shot my Kadabra. I can't Earthquake him with my Gible (whatever the 2nd stage evo of him is.)

Time to grind I guess...
Grass and Electric! You should be thinking at least one gym ahead and have a guy on your team who has or will soon learn a super-effective move for the task ahead.

You'll never be a Pokemon Master at this rate!

Jiggy said:
Allowing Horn Drill/Sheer Cold/Fissure is the true evil. :(

Yeah, kinda sucks that Nintendo's only ban concerns are Wobbufet/Legendaries. :/

I've really enjoyed this playthrough thus far, decided to go without electric or fire.

1. Manaphy: Stat gain is brutal. I can see why it's OU on a bad day. Tail Glow and Heart Swap are just devastating. As a campaign pokemon, though, Manaphy is actually pretty restricted (and hence interesting). His moveset is just painfully bad until Surf and you end up relying more on special effects (particularly charm!) He's generally not well equipped for the Gyms either, so you can't just go sweeping unless you spam healing items to go along with tail glow+bubblebeam.

2. Skymin: Recently replaced Torterra. Damn, Skymin is awesome. Relatively new addition since Shaymin starts at lv.50, and the transformation restrictions are curious, but I imagine Seed Flare and Aromatherapy are the least of his moveset.

3. Drapion: Once you get past Skorupi, Drapion is a monster. Triple crits, tons of crit happy moves, and just massive coverage thanks to Earthquake and Ice/Thunder/Firefang. Possibly my favorite pokemon this gen (well, aside from the infamous Lickilicky Explosion set), especially with Night-Slash or Cross-poison. (Toxic Spikes, woooo!)

4. Weavile: Not sure what I think about Weavile yet. Speed is great, love the DARK/ICE combo, but do I have to breed her to get a decent ice move?

5. Lucario: I really like this pokemon sometimes, but I guess he doesn't really get useful until Close Combat and the lv50+ moves? For all of the refreshing things Lucario does, it really sucks being vulnerable to one of your own types (Fighting).

Teknoman

I knew this would happen. I find myself not wanting to catch certain pokemon since I know i've got a nicely trained and maybe fully evolved version on Diamond. I guess I could just play the game like normal and decide the better versions of the two when I get to that level...

Guess I could throw in a few old school requests like a Paras, Magby, and koffing for later on? I still havent gone through with the first gym battle, but just putting the requests out there.

question about pokemanz... since there are battle modes which level up your pokes to lvl 50 and lvl 100, respectively, all i really have to do is ev train right?

TheGrayGhost said:
question about pokemanz... since there are battle modes which level up your pokes to lvl 50 and lvl 100, respectively, all i really have to do is ev train right?

Well you also need levels to learn a lot of the better moves.

Teknoman

TheGrayGhost said:

That and train for moves you want that arent learned via TMs / evolution.

I picked up Platinum.. Im excited.. First Pokemon game since Blue/Red really.. I played a tad of gold and silver but never felt it.

I also picked up a Strat Guide (well it was free) and omg.. its a freaking text book... :lol

My team seems way underpowered...don't laugh :'(

Level 24 Leafeon
25 Luxio
24 Shellos
25 Staravia
26 Graveler
26 Monferno

So I guess Staravia would be helpful? I don't have any psychic attacks. :O I need to grind or something.

mattso

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, kinda sucks that Nintendo's only ban concerns are Wobbufet/Legendaries. :/

I've really enjoyed this playthrough thus far, decided to go without electric or fire.

1. Manaphy: Stat gain is brutal. I can see why it's OU on a bad day. Tail Glow and Heart Swap are just devastating. As a campaign pokemon, though, Manaphy is actually pretty restricted (and hence interesting). His moveset is just painfully bad until Surf and you end up relying more on special effects (particularly charm!) He's generally not well equipped for the Gyms either, so you can't just go sweeping unless you spam healing items to go along with tail glow+bubblebeam.

2. Skymin: Recently replaced Torterra. Damn, Skymin is awesome. Relatively new addition since Shaymin starts at lv.50, and the transformation restrictions are curious, but I imagine Seed Flare and Aromatherapy are the least of his moveset.

3. Drapion: Once you get past Skorupi, Drapion is a monster. Triple crits, tons of crit happy moves, and just massive coverage thanks to Earthquake and Ice/Thunder/Firefang. Possibly my favorite pokemon this gen (well, aside from the infamous Lickilicky Explosion set), especially with Night-Slash or Cross-poison. (Toxic Spikes, woooo!)

4. Weavile: Not sure what I think about Weavile yet. Speed is great, love the DARK/ICE combo, but do I have to breed her to get a decent ice move?

5. Lucario: I really like this pokemon sometimes, but I guess he doesn't really get useful until Close Combat and the lv50+ moves? For all of the refreshing things Lucario does, it really sucks being vulnerable to one of your own types (Fighting).

you used to have to breed weavile to get ice punch (that and ice shard were the 2 moves most common for ice)

but now can't it just be move tutored on?

fernoca

Just returned back to Pokémon after a hiatus (sp? :p )..plus thanks to the DSi.
So far so good..a little familiar, but that's not bad.

And "holy ****" at the guide! When I saw that...thing I had to buy it! :lol
600+ pages, full color, a mini poster and stickers!..and the darn thing it's so freaking detailed..darn..well worth the $15.

Teknoman

Crumpet Trumpet said:

Level 24 Leafeon
25 Luxio
24 Shellos
25 Staravia
26 Graveler
26 Monferno

So I guess Staravia would be helpful? I don't have any psychic attacks. :O I need to grind or something.

Massacre them with Staravia.

Haha. You allow Double Team in Frontier, I use Double Team. I got an Empoleon with Double Team. Used DT 5X. Dodged all moves. Sweep. Take that!

Sophia is kicking the shit out of my ass. Just when I barely make it past the Elite 4, I have this chick beating my ass mercilessly. The LVL gap is insane too! I have:

Lvl 55 Infernape
Lvl 54 Vaporeon
Lvl 51 Alakazam
Lvl 51 Staraptor
Lvl 50 Pikachu
Lvl 54 Giratina

Granted, I easily owned her Spiritomb, but it took me damned near all my Pokemon to kill her Garchomp, and I just got massacred by her Togekiss. Goddamnit. Any tips? Where can I train so I can get my bitches up to 60 in a reasonable amount of time?

Fuck I just wanna train my competitive team but I need National Dex, damnit! Grr.

Firestorm

effingvic said:
Sophia is kicking the shit out of my ass. Just when I barely make it past the Elite 4, I have this chick beating my ass mercilessly. The LVL gap is insane too! I have:

Lvl 55 Infernape
Lvl 54 Vaporeon
Lvl 51 Alakazam
Lvl 51 Staraptor
Lvl 50 Pikachu
Lvl 54 Giratina

Granted, I easily owned her Spiritomb, but it took me damned near all my Pokemon to kill her Garchomp, and I just got massacred by her Togekiss. Goddamnit. Any tips? Where can I train so I can get my bitches up to 60 in a reasonable amount of time?

Fuck I just wanna train my competitive team but I need National Dex, damnit! Grr.
Use her Spiritomb to buff up a Pokemon and then sweep her with it. Do any of your Pokemon have stat raising moves? Calm Mind or Nasty Plot on your Alakazam or Pikachu for example? Swords Dance or Nasty Plot on your Infernape?

Edit: I just searched the DP thread and found my team that I beat the Elite Four in Pearl with:
LV51 Torterra
LV50 Empoleon
LV49 Infernape
LV49 Staraptor
LV49 Luxray
LV21 Bibarel

Did they increase the difficulty of the Elite Four in this game? If so, you're underlevelled because I was already sorta underlevelled. Had a lot of trouble with the Champion >.>;
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6240719&postcount=5491

Which reminds me, HEAL AS SOON AS YOU'RE DONE BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE ROOM

Crumpet Trumpet said:

Level 24 Leafeon
25 Luxio
24 Shellos
25 Staravia
26 Graveler
26 Monferno

Leafeon wouldn't be bad either. Fighting is not very effective on grass. Keep Monferno and Graveler out of the fight. If Staravia has a flying attack like Wing Attack or something that'd be best.

Sixfortyfive

Firestorm said:
Did they increase the difficulty of the Elite Four in this game? If so, you're underlevelled because I was already sorta underlevelled. Had a lot of trouble with the Champion >.>;
I think the first encounter with the E4 is almost the same. Some Pokemon are a few levels lower, but some weak links have been replaced with better ones. I've heard that the E4 increases in level when you rematch them later in Platinum, which brings back nightmares of struggling against Gary in Fire Red.

I beat the first encounter at about level 50, but I used up all of my Max Revives on Cynthia to pull it off. Stupid Garchomp.

Firestorm said:
Leafeon wouldn't be bad either. Fighting is not very effective on grass. Keep Monferno and Graveler out of the fight. If Staravia has a flying attack like Wing Attack or something that'd be best.
I'm going off of memory here, but I think Leafeon might be a bad choice for the singleplayer in general. I trained one once in D/P, and unless things have changed in Plat, he doesn't learn his best move until level 70-something.

Firestorm

Oh right, I remember seeing my friend do some of Platinum Elite Four and realizing they fixed their biggest weakness from DP. In DP you could use basically just Gyarados and rip through all of them. Dragon Dance + Waterfall was all you needed.

This time basically every Pokemon that can learn an electric attack has it :lol

Delio

Well just had some interesting battles. Not sure if this is the place i can post them but yeah. 72-95417-44903 and 47-14905-34490. My Trainer name is Delio on both since on one i am the Foe. My opponents were awesome too and to think not even using my battle team from Pearl.

Firestorm said:

Grass doesn't resist Fighting. Grass/Poison types resist Fighting due to their Poison typing.

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm going off of memory here, but I think Leafeon might be a bad choice for the singleplayer in general. I trained one once in D/P, and unless things have changed in Plat, he doesn't learn his best move until level 70-something.

Depends on your setup.

lv.71: Leaf Storm (90ATK/100%, high chance of crits)
lv.78: Swords Dance (Plat exclusive)

It's by far his best grass attack from levelling, but Move Tutor allows for Seed Bomb (80ATK/100%) and Solarbeam/Energy Ball are available through TMs.

...yeah...not really a fan of Leafeon's moveset. :/

Chozo

Crazymoogle said:
It's by far his best grass attack from levelling, but Move Tutor allows for Seed Bomb (80ATK/100%) and Solarbeam/Energy Ball are available through TMs.

Seed Bomb is a moot point pre Elite 4, since the tutor for that move is in the Survival Area. Kind of sucked since I wanted a grass move for my Torterra that was physical and not Razor Leaf.

But regardless...poor gimpy Leafeon =(

EDIT: Apparently Smogon finally added Pokemon to the NU tier, and looks like Leafeon is one of the residents. Ouch.

Sixfortyfive

Chozo said:
Seed Bomb is a moot point pre Elite 4, since the tutor for that move is in the Survival Area. Kind of sucked since I wanted a grass move for my Torterra that was physical and not Razor Leaf.
Wood Hammer, heart scale, guy in Pastoria. Wrecks the shit out of anything that doesn't resist it in the singleplayer.

Barso

Banned
I live in the UK and would love to buy this game but the UK release is 22nd May.
If I import the US version now will there be any differences between the US and UK version when it is released?
I hate the way nintendo treats the EU release schedule but I have owned all Nintendo consoles, so I am used to it by now.
Thanks to all help and replies.
Much appreciated.

7 badges down!

Infernape lvl 54
Luxray lvl 51

the rest are lvl 28 and below, mainly used as HM slaves. I know Im setting myself up for failure by only using 2 pokes currenlty, but i just wanted to do it quick, and it seems like i chose 2 good ones for it.

larvi

Barso said:
I live in the UK and would love to buy this game but the UK release is 22nd May.
If I import the US version now will there be any differences between the US and UK version when it is released?
I hate the way nintendo treats the EU release schedule but I have owned all Nintendo consoles, so I am used to it by now.
Thanks to all help and replies.
Much appreciated.

I don't know for sure but based on past pokemon games the EU release may contain a fix or 2 but no major changes. The only problem you might run into would be Wii connectivity if that's something you plan on using as typically NA DS games aren't compatibly with a different region Wii.

larvi

biggyfries said:
7 badges down!

Infernape lvl 54
Luxray lvl 51

the rest are lvl 28 and below, mainly used as HM slaves. I know Im setting myself up for failure by only using 2 pokes currenlty, but i just wanted to do it quick, and it seems like i chose 2 good ones for it.

You should be ok, I made it through with Infernape and Jolteon doing most of my fighting and they were lower levels. Just make sure you have an ample supply of revivies/hyper potions and some PP restoring items on hand.

RaidenZR

Off Topic but does anyone have a large sized version of this image?

a_567934.jpg

Or, for that matter, anything like it from Platinum?

I didn't want to bump because of this but Ifinally opened it and started playing it over this past weekend.

The sprites are great! This has not been mentioned enough.

I can't wait to see if the changed Camerupt and Wailmer/Wailord. I always hated those sprites that only showed a small portion of the Pokemons back.

Top Bottom