• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Jiggy

Crazymoogle said:
whatevs

Linoone foreva :p What good has Gyrados ever done for anybody?! :lol
Well, hey, maybe if you can hit Mean Look with Umbreon, Charm the enemy down to nil Attack and hope it doesn't critical, Baton Pass out to Linoone, Belly Drum, and hope the enemy has no Ghosts nor quad-resists, sweeps can happen! :O

Sweet, sweet, sweet. I have a Cubone swarm on Route 203 today! :D

Also, for those of you who have been PMming me, here are the Pokemon that I am working on right now:

Lv. 33 Tangrowth (Will be epic when I'm done training him)
Lv. 40 Eevee (Yep, the same one given to me in-game, I haven't evolved it yet since I want it to learn Trump Card)
Lv. 40 Lairon (Very close to evolving)
Lv. 41 Porygon-Z (Beast of a Pokemon, I love him)
Lv. 46 Relicanth (Also a beast if trained right)

Has this happened to anyone yet? I went to boot up my copy of Pearl, to see if I can transfer over some eggs to my Platinum game, and the DS won't read it at all. I plugged it into my roommate's DSes, and it still doesn't recognize it. Any idea on how to fix it? I don't want to lose my Deoxys, or all my FireRed critters. >_<

Jiggy said:
Well, hey, maybe if you can hit Mean Look with Umbreon, Charm the enemy down to nil Attack and hope it doesn't critical, Baton Pass out to Linoone, Belly Drum, and hope the enemy has no Ghosts nor quad-resists, sweeps can happen! :O

Sure, double sweeps can happen! :D Just beware when the entire team you face brings Explosion to the table. :lol

Seriously though, Linoone is awesome for pickups, great to have in the party.

Firestorm

I finally remembered what the last attack on my Umbreon is at the moment. It's Flash :lol I was experimenting with Mean Look + Flash + Baton Pass to Charizard for Belly Drum because of the Double Team ban. It gives a good chance of Charizard setting up. Haven't really found success with it though =/ Before that it was Curse I believe. I passed it to Dragonite who had a berry that got rid of the speed loss, but I found it better to work with just Dragon Dance + Outrage + Lum Berry.

Jiggy

Keru_Shiri said:
Has this happened to anyone yet? I went to boot up my copy of Pearl, to see if I can transfer over some eggs to my Platinum game, and the DS won't read it at all. I plugged it into my roommate's DSes, and it still doesn't recognize it. Any idea on how to fix it? I don't want to lose my Deoxys, or all my FireRed critters. >_<
Maybe check if dust or hair or something got into the DS card slot? That happened to me over a year ago...

Edit: Er, scratch that. Into the DS card itself, actually, since you said you tried multiple DSes...

Kawaii

Wii Will Rock U said:
Sweet, sweet, sweet. I have a Cubone swarm on Route 203 today! :D

Also, for those of you who have been PMming me, here are the Pokemon that I am working on right now:

Lv. 33 Tangrowth (Will be epic when I'm done training him)
Lv. 40 Eevee (Yep, the same one given to me in-game, I haven't evolved it yet since I want it to learn Trump Card)
Lv. 40 Lairon (Very close to evolving)
Lv. 41 Porygon-Z (Beast of a Pokemon, I love him)
Lv. 46 Relicanth (Also a beast if trained right)

Oooh, can you trade me one? ^^
Maybe you'd like to trade it for an elekid?

And if so, could you help me evolve my machoke?

Platinum FC: 3609 6997 7467

Kawaii

Teknoman said:
When I get out of this dungeon in Chrono Trigger, I'll be up for the Paras if you've got time.

I've got the time, but i can't seem to get my nintendo USB connector running, i need to fix that first. Changed to a router with wpa2 so my DS can't handle that so i have to use it. I''ll let you know

So guys, I decided that I am going to restart my game and play from the beginning. Only thing this time is that I am playing with a unique twist. The only Pokemon I am allowing myself to use are those that are obtained through in-game events and in-game trades. Then, to make this replay even crazier, I am going to develop a competitive team based around these Pokemon. And, of course, the uber legendaries will be disqualified from the competitive team.

According to my rules, these are the only Pokemon eligible for the run-through (of course, if a Pokemon on this list can evolve then that is allowed too):

-Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup (Whichever one I start with, will not trade to get the other two)
-Abra (Via in-game trade)
-Togepi
-Chatot
(Via in-game trade)
-Rotom
-Shieldon, Cranidos
(Whosever fossil I find in the Underground)
-Eevee
-Porygon
-Spiritomb
-Riolu
-Haunter
(Via in-game trade)
-Giratina
-Uxie
-Azelf
-Mespirit
-Dialga
-Palkia
-Articuno
-Zapdos
-Moltres
-Cresselia
-Regigas
-Heatran

Wish me luck!

Also, I encourage other people to join in and try this with me. I really think it'll be a challenge and will be really fun!

Teknoman

Wii Will Rock U said:
So guys, I decided that I am going to restart my game and play from the beginning. Only thing this time is that I am playing with a unique twist. The only Pokemon I am allowing myself to use are those that are obtained through in-game events and in-game trades. Then, to make this replay even crazier, I am going to develop a competitive team based around these Pokemon. And, of course, the uber legendaries will be disqualified from the competitive team.

According to my rules, these are the only Pokemon eligible for the run-through (of course, if a Pokemon on this list can evolve then that is allowed too):

-Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup (Whichever one I start with, will not trade to get the other two)
-Abra (Via in-game trade)
-Togepi
-Chatot
(Via in-game trade)
-Rotom
-Shieldon, Cranidos
(Whosever fossil I find in the Underground)
-Eevee
-Porygon
-Spiritomb
-Riolu
-Haunter
(Via in-game trade)
-Giratina
-Uxie
-Azelf
-Mespirit
-Dialga
-Palkia
-Articuno
-Zapdos
-Moltres
-Cresselia
-Regigas
-Heatran

Wish me luck!

Also, I encourage other people to join in and try this with me. I really think it'll be a challenge and will be really fun!

Did you already beat the game?

EDIT: After being at like 13 or so pages, you'd think there would be more trades and battles going on.

Teknoman said:
Did you already beat the game?

EDIT: After being at like 13 or so pages, you'd think there would be more trades and battles going on.
Actually, yeah, what is the Neogaf trade/battle scene looking like? If I can get my copy of Pearl working again, I'd like to get back into that.

Teknoman

Keru_Shiri said:
Actually, yeah, what is the Neogaf trade/battle scene looking like? If I can get my copy of Pearl working again, I'd like to get back into that.

Well Biggyfries was asking about a tournament set up a few days ago...but other than that I havent really seen a ton of requests, unless people are still training stuff.

Teknoman

I guess the game hasnt been out that long, so people probably dont have teams they are comfortable with on Platinum yet. But hopefully others with D/P will stop by like Keru.

Totakeke

Quick question, can you complete the sinnoh dex to get the national dex while still having a chance to catch azelf and uxie afterwards?

Balb

Totakeke said:
Quick question, can you complete the sinnoh dex to get the national dex while still having a chance to catch azelf and uxie afterwards?

Unless you actually encounter them, the only way you can get them in your sinnoh dex is if you trade with someone who has azelf and uxie. Maybe you can trade and trade back with someone you know.

Kawaii

Totakeke said:
Use some weak pokemon to fight them.

Start the fight and make sure all your own pokemon faint, you'll be transported to the pokemon center and azelf/uxie will be in your PokeDex.

And sorry guys, i can't seem to get that f*cking USB wi-fi connector to work.

Totakeke

Kawaii said:

Start the fight and make sure all your own pokemon faint, you'll be transported to the pokemon center and azelf/uxie will be in your PokeDex.

Thanks for the answers. Do you know if their natures would be set by doing that?

larvi

Kawaii said:

The problem with that approach is if you are planning on soft resetting sometime in the future for a good one, the IVs will get fixed at that initial encounter (I believe). I transfered ones over from my diamond game so I could save my platinum ones for future encounters. After I beat the E4 I was missing azelf, mespirit, uxie and tentacool in the sinnoh dex. I can't believe I made it throught the whole game without seeing a single tentacool :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
larvi said:
The problem with that approach is if you are planning on soft resetting sometime in the future for a good one, the IVs will get fixed at that initial encounter (I believe). I transfered ones over from my diamond game so I could save my platinum ones for future encounters. After I beat the E4 I was missing azelf, mespirit, uxie and tentacool in the sinnoh dex. I can't believe I made it throught the whole game without seeing a single tentacool :lol

On playthroughs, I'm addicted to Max Repels.

Ravidrath

larvi said:
I can vouch for this working, I just hatched a shiny Larvitar!

Man... how do you keep track of tapping the app 3700 times or whatever? :p

I'm sort of tempted to try this, but it seems... insane. There are much easier ways to cheat to get Shinies that I haven't done, so I'm not sure why I'd start doing this.

I'll wait until they crack the IV inheritance patterns a la Emerald :D

Wonder if I'll have to time to whip up a good team for this in the next few weeks?

EDIT
Jiggy: You can always trade a random Pokemon to somebody who has an AR to check your SID for you.

larvi

Ravidrath said:
Man... how do you keep track of tapping the app 3700 times or whatever? :p

I'm sort of tempted to try this, but it seems... insane. There are much easier ways to cheat to get Shinies that I haven't done, so I'm not sure why I'd start doing this.

I just kept resetting and restarting the process until I got one that only needed 185 friend checker and 10 coin toss taps. I was still afraid I was going to mess it up but it looks like I counted right. It's still pretty time consuming becuase I don't have an AR and had to use rare candies to check IV's, I probably put about 2-3 hours in to getting it.

Jiggy

I read that guide, but unless I'm out of the loop--very probable--there's no way to get my Secret ID without buying an AR (not happening) or already having a shiny from this generation...

Eh, guess I'll spend my GAF-reading time simultaneously moving back and forth in grass, hoping for a shiny.

Edit: Wait. Not out of the loop, but I can't believe I didn't think of this before. All one would have to do is find somebody else with an AR, trade them a Pokemon, and let them check!
Edit 2: No, guessed wrong; that method wouldn't work after all. I'm looking around Smogon and found this: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1855829&postcount=3260

So, uh... anyone here with Pokesav willing to run an SID-checking service? :p

larvi

Little Green Yoda said:
I'll wait until they crack the IV inheritance patterns a la Emerald :D

Wonder if I'll have to time to whip up a good team for this in the next few weeks?

You could probably reuse some of your JAA pokemon if you had any non-legendaries. But yeah, it would be time consuming, especially if you wanted to go back and take advantage of the XD move tutors. I still have my self-destructlax if you want to borrow it. :D . Unfortunately none of the events are near me this time around

Blizzard

Banned
larvi said:
I just kept resetting and restarting the process until I got one that only needed 185 friend checker and 10 coin toss taps. I was still afraid I was going to mess it up but it looks like I counted right. It's still pretty time consuming becuase I don't have an AR and had to use rare candies to check IV's, I probably put about 2-3 hours in to getting it.

How did you find out your secret ID or whatever?

larvi

Jiggy said:
I read that guide, but unless I'm out of the loop--very probable--there's no way to get my Secret ID without buying an AR (not happening) or already having a shiny from this generation...

Yeah, I got mine by using a homebrew program called rein to extract my save from my Diamond cart and then using pokesave to view it (still require a flash cart though to run rein). After losing a save file on one of my DS carts I back them up pretty regularly now.

Edit - Jiggy, pm me your FC so we can trade a pokemon and I can see if I can find your SID via pokesav

larvi said:
You could probably reuse some of your JAA pokemon if you had any non-legendaries. But yeah, it would be time consuming, especially if you wanted to go back and take advantage of the XD move tutors. I still have my self-destructlax if you want to borrow it. :D . Unfortunately none of the events are near me this time around

I'm more concerned with the "coming up with a good team concept" part than the breeding portion. Even if my Emerald RNG skills are weak, I think I can churn out some imperfectly decent breeds to use. I haven't played 2v2 at all this gen - it'll probably behoove me to read up on that style of play on Smogon. Thanks for the offer though. :D

Trick Room teams gogogo?

larvi

Yeah, I haven't really tried and 2v2 this gen either, you could probably get some good pointers by playing the wifi 2v2 battle tower. With focus sashes and the change that after a KO a new pokemon doesn't enter the field until the start of the next round I'm not sure exploding will be as big of a strategy as before.

Forkball

I don't have Platinum but I have to vent about what happened in Diamond to me yesterday. I was fighting Battle Tower boss Palmer, and he jacked me up. His Rhyperior has Thunderbolt? How the hell can Rhyperior even learn that? How is it physically possible for that Pokemon to shoot electricity at you? Also I almost had him beat, but and attack from his Dragonite made my Pokemon flinch. IT FLINCHED. I was one attack away from victory and I lost.

Jiggy

Thanks larvi! :D

Edit: Awesome. didn't have any Pokemon with a trainer ID ending in 72 before. Chances to win at least a PP Up each day are now up to 77%. <3

Blizzard

Banned
ooh, good point. I could bug someone so I can let THEM use dubious means to extract my SID, so I can keep my arbitrary standards (plus I don't own a flashcart). XD

Although, that would be terrible if I had hundreds of hours of work and then my cart stopped working or the save became corrupted. ;_;

Firestorm

Forkball said:
I don't have Platinum but I have to vent about what happened in Diamond to me yesterday. I was fighting Battle Tower boss Palmer, and he jacked me up. His Rhyperior has Thunderbolt? How the hell can Rhyperior even learn that? How is it physically possible for that Pokemon to shoot electricity at you? Also I almost had him beat, but and attack from his Dragonite made my Pokemon flinch. IT FLINCHED. I was one attack away from victory and I lost.
For Palmer's Rhyperior's Ice Beam to OHKO Dragonite, it would have had to hit 100 in the RNG. It did that in 3 battles in a row. The one battle I switched in, he used an attack that was super effective against the Pokemon I switched to.

So yeah. Battle Tower's bullshit.

Teknoman

Forkball said:

I know this is out of left field, but would you participate in a version wide GAF tournament if someone started organizing it? Around the time people get decent teams in Platinum anyway.

Jiggy

Blizzard said:
ooh, good point. I could bug someone so I can let THEM use dubious means to extract my SID, so I can keep my arbitrary standards (plus I don't own a flashcart). XD

Although, that would be terrible if I had hundreds of hours of work and then my cart stopped working or the save became corrupted. ;_;
I've had an Emerald file and a Pearl file corrupt on me, but the reason that Pokemon games take so long to save now seems related to the fact that they simultaneously create backup files--so I ended up not losing a thing in either case. But I guess it's always possible that both files can become corrupted at the same time. :( Maybe that's what happened to larvi.

This reminds me, though. In a side-by-side test--i.e. I've done this with my two DSes--Platinum takes significantly longer to save under "Saving a lot of data" circumstances than Diamond and Pearl. I wonder if they've kicked it up to two backup files or something? (Which would be nice.) The only other new detail to save that I can think of would be the battle videos, but it's not like I'm constantly saving new videos. And besides that, recording IVs/EVs/nature/abilities/gender/shiny status/movesets for up to twelve Pokemon, and a given string of moves used by them, should be practically negligible compared to storing all of that information and ribbons and happiness values and box location and markings for up to 540 Pokemon.

larvi

It was actually my Dragon Quest Monster Joker save file that got corrupted not pokemon thankfully. I did lose most of my 2nd gen pokemon when my crystal battery died though :(

Edit - PM me your friend code Blizzard and trade me a poke so I can check your SID

Jiggy

One failed attempt at a shiny down. Gotta ask something before I proceed to try again, since I'm pretty sure I got 119 clicks right:

Reset your game, making a note of your DS Date and Time at the moment you hit A while on the 'Continue' screen to start your game.
Is this referring to in-game hours or the in-game clock or what? Need to eliminate as many potential problems in my method as possible...

Edit: RNG broken. <3 I hatched a rather junk shiny just to test that it would all work out in theory, but I'm keeping it anyway as a representation of success!

larvi

Jiggy said:
One failed attempt at a shiny down. Gotta ask something before I proceed to try again, since I'm pretty sure I got 119 clicks right:

Is this referring to in-game hours or the in-game clock or what? Need to eliminate as many potential problems in my method as possible...

Edit: RNG broken. <3 I hatched a rather junk shiny just to test that it would all work out in theory, but I'm keeping it anyway as a representation of success!

Congrats. I guess you figured out the clock then, it's actually the system time on your DS which you can't see when you hit continue on the start screen, unfortunately. What I did was synch the DS time with my PC clock so I could check that when I hit continue.

Jiggy

I used the Poketch clock and I'm a little confused as to why Smogon doesn't recommend the same. o_O It's only a few apps away from the happiness checker to begin with...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So I returned to Fire Red to take care of some unfinished business.

Mewtwo - #150 (Timid)
HP: 28 - 29
Att: 22
Def: 28
SpA: 22 - 23
SpD: 28
Speed: 23 - 24

Yes.

mattso

all I've been doing is playing battle factory. Beat the factory brain twice now, still haven't gotten farther than the 5th wave though.. soon.. soon

I must have a ton of bp

Holepunch

Well, I'm trying to connect on-line with this game, but it isn't happening because my Lite isn't compatible with WPA, and I'm unwilling to go down to WEP or buy a DSi.

So GAF, if I bought a Wireless USB adapter, would I be able to go on-line while keeping WPA settings? For reference, I have a Linksys Wireless B router, model BEFW11S4.

Thanks in advance.

Linkhero1

Holepunch said:
Well, I'm trying to connect on-line with this game, but it isn't happening because my Lite isn't compatible with WPA, and I'm unwilling to go down to WEP or buy a DSi.

So GAF, if I bought a Wireless USB adapter, would I be able to go on-line while keeping WPA settings? For reference, I have a Linksys Wireless B router, model BEFW11S4.

Thanks in advance.
I have the same problem. I just turn it on WEP when I want to go online and when I'm done I switch it back to WPA. I know it's a little inconvenient but it's better than nothing.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You really have to save an obscene amount of money to buy all the furnishings for your house in this game. I just blew my entire savings (very nearly maxed out at 999999), then sold all of the nuggets/pearls/stardust that I had been accumulating (for another 120000), and I'm still coming up short.

Jiggy

Last night in IRC we were looking at shinies for like an hour, and I have to say: actually reminding myself of what most shiny Pokemon look like really diminished the value of RNG exploitation. :lol There are occasional gems, though, like bubble gum Crobat, cotton candy Jumpluff, and what Blaziken should always have looked like. Another cool one is Salamence, though I wish they changed the color of its wings along with its scales (or whatever the rest of its body is made of).

mattso said:
all I've been doing is playing battle factory. Beat the factory brain twice now, still haven't gotten farther than the 5th wave though.. soon.. soon

I must have a ton of bp
I dabbled enough in each of the others except Battle Tower to get past their Brain on the first pass, but yeah, predominantly it's been Battle Factory--my records are 29 and 31 wins in level 50 and open level respectively. So yeah, much like you, never got past the fifth round. :(
I have 501 BP. Makes me wish the move tutors still operated on that instead of Shards.

Top Bottom