• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
Firestorm said:
Use her Spiritomb to buff up a Pokemon and then sweep her with it. Do any of your Pokemon have stat raising moves? Calm Mind or Nasty Plot on your Alakazam or Pikachu for example? Swords Dance or Nasty Plot on your Infernape?

That's probably the biggest mistake I made. NONE of my pokemon have stat increasing move. And even if I did, I think I'd get wiped out relatively fast. I wanted to just train a few pokemon and overpower the E4 so I can go ahead and work on my actual competitive team. But alas, I'm getting my ass kicked..

The E4 weren't so tough with me only having to use 3-4 revives the whole time. But Cynthia's Pokemon are usually Lvl 60 and above, and I feel that I never get a chance to attack. Pikachu cant do shit so I just summon him when I have to heal the rest of my team.

Maybe I'll go to the move tutor/go through my TMs and see if I can teach any of em something useful.

larvi

effingvic said:
That's probably the biggest mistake I made. NONE of my pokemon have stat increasing move. And even if I did, I think I'd get wiped out relatively fast. I wanted to just train a few pokemon and overpower the E4 so I can go ahead and work on my actual competitive team. But alas, I'm getting my ass kicked..

The E4 weren't so tough with me only having to use 3-4 revives the whole time. But Cynthia's Pokemon are usually Lvl 60 and above, and I feel that I never get a chance to attack. Pikachu cant do shit so I just summon him when I have to heal the rest of my team.

Maybe I'll go to the move tutor/go through my TMs and see if I can teach any of em something useful.

Vaporeon's Aurora Beam should do a number on Garchomp and hit Togekiss pretty hard too. If they are hitting you too hard with physical attacks to get a move off you can do what I did and use Staravia to intimidate them to lower attack, keep reviving and intimidating until the attacks aren't hitting you as hard.

Now that I have a DSi, I migrated all my important Pokemon back over to my copy of Diamond, restarted Platinum, and spent an afternoon catching Bidoofs and Starlys to trade over for all my legendaries. I also sent over a couple eggs for a Mudkip and a Chikorita, so now I can go through my own personal New Game+. I did this once on Diamond with Charmander and Totodile along with Turtwig, so it'll be fun to try a different team again.

Here's my new team:
Mudkip lvl 16 (I'm going to hold back on evolving him as long as I can)
Chikorita lvl 15
Monferno lvl 16
Shinx lvl 14
Machop lvl 14
Staravia lvl 14

At this point I'm still running off the beginner Pokemon since half my team is spoken for, so now I'm waiting to get a good psychic (I'm thinking a Ralts) and maybe a rock. This seems to be the most fun part for me, putting together a team and seeing how well it can do. Pulling in otherwise inaccessible Pokemon just gives me more options.

And I'm promising myself that I won't inevitably fall back on Jolteon. It's awesome and I love it, but I've had one in every major team of mine since FireRed and I want to do something different now.

Teknoman

Anerythristic said:
I didn't want to bump because of this but Ifinally opened it and started playing it over this past weekend.

The sprites are great! This has not been mentioned enough.

I can't wait to see if the changed Camerupt and Wailmer/Wailord. I always hated those sprites that only showed a small portion of the Pokemons back.

Yup, new sprites are alot better than the D/P ones. Every monster either looks really energetic or just battle ready.

larvi said:
Vaporeon's Aurora Beam should do a number on Garchomp and hit Togekiss pretty hard too. If they are hitting you too hard with physical attacks to get a move off you can do what I did and use Staravia to intimidate them to lower attack, keep reviving and intimidating until the attacks aren't hitting you as hard.

Hmm, thats an excellent idea. I'm just worried that the foe's pokemon will get to attack twice when I bring out the next pokemon, kinda like when you use a potion or something. But yeah, I never expected Staraptor to be such a beast. Even at 10 levels lower, Brave Bird is almost a guaranted 1HKO.

Yup, new sprites are alot better than the D/P ones. Every monster either looks really energetic or just battle ready.

I love how they added little details to certain Pokemon. Like how Pikachu looks back at you when it comes out. SO CUTE.

Argh, I wish there was some NPC that let me keep my pokemon out, like in Yellow. I want my Pikachu to walk behind me, damnit!

That pokemon GTS website is freakin' awesome. Holy crap.

effingvic said:
Hmm, thats an excellent idea. I'm just worried that the foe's pokemon will get to attack twice when I bring out the next pokemon, kinda like when you use a potion or something. But yeah, I never expected Staraptor to be such a beast. Even at 10 levels lower, Brave Bird is almost a guaranted 1HKO.
Staraptor's replaced Dodrio as the best Normal/Flying pkmn.

effingvic said:
Argh, I wish there was some NPC that let me keep my pokemon out, like in Yellow. I want my Pikachu to walk behind me, damnit!
I like to have my lead pkmn walk behind me.

Firestorm

Intimidate only puts down physical attack though. Special will still hit you hard. Aurora beam is fairly weak.
Little Green Yoda said:
Grass doesn't resist Fighting. Grass/Poison types resist Fighting due to their Poison typing.
Ah right. I forgot. Stupid RBY with its like ONE full grass type or whatever it was. Totally messed it up for me.

damnit nintendo make it happen :(

argh, i wish i found out about that herb place sooner. cheaper stuff, and i dont have to save the max revives either..

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
effingvic said:
damnit nintendo make it happen :(

argh, i wish i found out about that herb place sooner. cheaper stuff, and i dont have to save the max revives either..
I completely forgot about that place.

Maybe the Cynthia rematch won't be as frustrating as the Gary rematch after all.

TurtleSnatcher said:
http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/

Nationwide Tournament (Which will lead to World tournament)

Seems cool.

(Level 50 no higher.. thats interesting)

Not really a World Tournament since eligibility is limited to US/UK/France/Japan/Germany, but still vaguely neat. The lv50 limit is typical of Nintendo but still awkward (sorry, no level-downs allowed!) Species clause is in, though. (Another interesting bit is that you aren't allowed to swap inventory items between rounds, but you can swap held items among the six your pokemon have. And you're not allowed to use your own console.)

The scary thing is that enough time on Smogon and Nintendo's rules start looking a little loose. For example, Phione and Rotom are banned, Wobbuffet is not. The only mitigating circumstance is that this is also 2v2 team battle.

EDIT: Shiny Milotic for all tournament registrants!

Teknoman

biggyfries said:
anyone willing to deal with the headache of starting a gaf tournament again? :lol :lol

I'm sure we'll be able to drag (hopefully) people from Diamond, Pearl, and new DSi owners into it.

In other news, I finally got my Pal Pad...and need a low level Paras, Magby (with the magmarizer or whatever the evo item is called), and koffing.

Teknoman

Anyone still dealing with the dilemma of either training up all new stuff till "end game" and then transferring stuff over from Diamond /Pearl, or just transferring as you go?

Im guessing the best thing would be to just play Platinum like normal until endgame, then transfer all my Diamond stuff over.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only things I traded over mid-game were a Synchronizer and dedicated catcher for Giratina (and a couple more Amulet Coins so that I didn't have to keep swapping around the one that I had).

Teknoman said:
In other news, I finally got my Pal Pad...and need a low level Paras, Magby (with the magmarizer or whatever the evo item is called), and koffing.

You can find a magmarizer during the regular game, actually.

And I'm not trading over. It would just be wayyyyy too tedious for no reward. I have probably 450 or so, and there's really no benefit to trade within this gen unless it's for somebody I immediately need on the team (*cough* Lucario with Lucky Egg...)

Teknoman

Crazymoogle said:
You can find a magmarizer during the regular game, actually.

And I'm not trading over. It would just be wayyyyy too tedious for no reward. I have probably 450 or so, and there's really no benefit to trade within this gen unless it's for somebody I immediately need on the team (*cough* Lucario with Lucky Egg...)

Well yeah, thats what I mean. My pokemon that I trained for fighting (have some of my Fire Red and Ruby trained stuff on there as well).

But in that case I still need a Paras and Koffing :lol

Oh and April 20th = Wi-Fi Mystery Gift Secret Key event start. May 12th is when it ends.

Kawaii

Teknoman said:
Well yeah, thats what I mean. My pokemon that I trained for fighting (have some of my Fire Red and Ruby trained stuff on there as well).

But in that case I still need a Paras and Koffing :lol

Oh and April 20th = Wi-Fi Mystery Gift Secret Key event start. May 12th is when it ends.
I'll go find my Diamond copy and I'll look if i got those.

I got Paras for you, would you like an egg or a hatched one?

And what's your FC?

FC: 1761 9250 6043

Teknoman

Kawaii said:
I'll go find my Diamond copy and I'll look if i got those.

I got Paras for you, would you like an egg or a hatched one?

And what's your FC?

FC: 1761 9250 6043

A hatched one (Always did like having stuff from other trainers)

FC: 1032 7391 1291

About to leave for awhile now though.

Oh and about the Wii GTS message, I still haven't received my registration code. Then again, I haven't used the GTS yet either.

Kawaii

Teknoman said:
A hatched one (Always did like having stuff from other trainers)

FC: 1032 7391 1291

About to leave for awhile now though.

Oh and about the Wii GTS message, I still haven't received my registration code. Then again, I haven't used the GTS yet either.
I can go online right now if you want

Sorry man, i was having trouble connection with that shitty USB connector, maybe another time!

Teknoman

Kawaii said:
I can go online right now if you want

Alright, i'll be at the center in a second.

Strange...first two times I tried to connect (DSi) it didnt detect an access point. Worked like normal the third time.

EDIT: I'll just try and catch you when we get back.

Linkhero1

Ok I haven't played Pokemon in a long time and I just got mystery gift. Can someone explain to me how I am able to get something out of it? I remember getting a ton of shit in Gold and Silver, but I do not understand how it works in this game.

Teknoman

Linkhero1 said:
Ok I haven't played Pokemon in a long time and I just got mystery gift. Can someone explain to me how I am able to get something out of it? I remember getting a ton of shit in Gold and Silver, but I do not understand how it works in this game.

I dont think its person to person still like in Gold/Silver. It seems like its either through online events (wi-fi mystery gift) or through Nintendo hosted events (stuff at toys R us over local wireless).

Teknoman said:
I dont think its person to person still like in Gold/Silver. It seems like its either through online events (wi-fi mystery gift) or through Nintendo hosted events (stuff at toys R us over local wireless).

If one has friends who don't have wi-fi or access to a TRU, one can share an attained Wonder Card now apparently with Platinum. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Linkhero1

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
If one has friends who don't have wi-fi or access to a TRU, one can share an attained Wonder Card now apparently with Platinum. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If this is true, anyone willing to share any? I want to see how it works in this game.

Teknoman

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

111hzcw.jpg

You have to obtain it from either a local / online event or another Pokemon title (Battle Revolution, Ranger, etc.) and then you can transfer it to a friend locally.

April 20th = Wi-Fi Mystery Gift Secret Key event start. May 12th is when it ends.

Not the dates mentioned in the picture. That was for japan I believe.

Teknoman

As far as local wireless Toys R Us, I know Shaymin was recently (GAF member cloned a bunch for us close to the end). I think Darkrai was awhile back.

Teknoman said:
As far as local wireless Toys R Us, I know Shaymin was recently (GAF member cloned a bunch for us close to the end). I think Darkrai was awhile back.

The most recent one was the Regigigas that would trade into Platinum and net you the 3 Regis and another Regigigas.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
I can still clone stuff for people, but probably won't be able to until the weekend. PM me if you need TRU things.

I just need that special regigigas, and any Rayquaza for dex completion.

Linkhero1

Ravidrath said:
I can still clone stuff for people, but probably won't be able to until the weekend. PM me if you need TRU things.

PM'd

I would love as many TRU Pokemon that you are able to give. They closed the only TRU near me a few months ago so I was unable to get any of these.

Also I have a question. Am I able to get any Rare Pokemon from the Pokemon Wiiware game?

Linkhero1 said:
Damn that's a lot. I don't think I'll be able to do that :lol

:/ It's not too bad. Just get a really fast zigzagoon breeding program together like I did. And then when you're done, never load the save file again to visit their vast zigzagoon civilization. :lol

Linkhero1

Crazymoogle said:
:/ It's not too bad. Just get a really fast zigzagoon breeding program together like I did. And then when you're done, never load the save file again to visit their vast zigzagoon civilization. :lol
Can you explain a little more? I do not have Pokemon Ranch yet, but I was thinking of getting it since there are some Pokemon I can only get in that game.

Linkhero1 said:
Can you explain a little more? I do not have Pokemon Ranch yet, but I was thinking of getting it since there are some Pokemon I can only get in that game.

Well, it's a ranch. There's a girl who runs it by herself. All the game really involves is you dumping pokemon from a single game (it's not like Box, you can't dump from multiple games) into the ranch, where they basically hang out and futz around. There's no positive or negative effect to dropping them off, and you can't withdraw them to anything but the SAME cart and savefile on your DS. No EXP or money is earned there, either.

She generally offers trades with decent movesets every day, but she has two "special" pokemon:

1. Mew (trade her an egg of any type, must already have 1000 pokemon in the ranch, including the egg, as I recall). Moveset is garbage but Mew never has a problem there.

2. Phione (trade her Leafeon). Moveset is nice (Grass Knot/Rain Dance/Rest/Surf) but Phione is the breeding product of Manaphy so I'm sure it's not hard to find otherwise.

The only trick is that the Ranch has a size limit. Every time you hit a certain amount of deposited pokemon (or the limit), she says to come back tomorrow, and the limit is raised. So it can take a little while (or some Wii time skipping) to hit the 1000 pokemon mark.

In my case, I already had nearly 450 pokemon due to obsessive trading towards my current 492/493 pokedex status. From there, I caught male and female zigzagoon (well, bidoof or whatever is also fine, I'm sure), sent them to the day care, and did the biking trip to mass-produce another 500. You can check with the old man at the day care to see how fast they can produce eggs.

Make no mistake; it's tedious. But you get a legit Mew out of the deal.

Jiggy

Use Magikarp instead since its hatch rate is only 1280 steps.
And because if you happen to get a really good Magikarp, at least it'll evolve into something great, unlike Zigzagoon. :p

Jiggy said:
Use Magikarp instead since its hatch rate is only 1280 steps.
And because if you happen to get a really good Magikarp, at least it'll evolve into something great, unlike Zigzagoon. :p

whatevs

Linoone foreva :p What good has Gyrados ever done for anybody?! :lol

Top Bottom