• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
Jiggy said:
Jiggy Post

I fully respect the Tier system because it makes sense and is based off base stats/attack learnable.

Right know I am breeding and EV training a UU team or two , it's a bigger pool with a less competitve feel to the entire tier.

Also don't get me wrong the science behind it is very interesting and it is a science, complete with theories and equations :lol

I just had no idea people would get e-rage over the fact that you use Pokemon A when Pokemon B with this or that set has 5 extra points of SpA. That is not the crowd I am looking for.

Crazymoogle said:
Smogon has spoiled me too much. :lol I was fighting the rival on the way to Solaceon, and it was just driving me nuts that his starter was Staravia with a moveset of Double Team, Wing Attack, Endeavor and Quick Attack. It's a textbook banned move system:

1. Double-team up 2-3 times.
2. Use Endeavor to drop their HP to match yours (presumably Double Team left you open!)
3. Quick Attack to knock them out while they struggle to hit you.

The only real way to overcome this situation is to get lucky with super-effective moves, or have a substantial level advantage. And then hope you didn't take enough team damage for Monferno. It's clever design, although not entirely fair.

Annoying, but it's certainly fair, and I've never heard of Smogon banning such a set.

If you're going to be playing competitively, you really should have a hazer or pseudo hazer to deal with status changes. I personally use Skarmory with roar, since in addition to acting as a hazer (roar forces the enemy to switch out, which nullifies the double team advantage), he's also one of the best physical walls in the game, especially since he now has Roost, a recovery move, and his roar has good synergy with the spikes move that he can learn, dealing damage to the enemy whenever you force a switch.

vhfive

Captain N said:
I got there and it seems like I need some sort of a key card or something.
you should run into that investigator guy and he will tell you to meet him at the warehouse next to the building. he then opens the door in the warehouse

JCX

I'm working on a single type team that I hope to have done in a few weeks (tests and papers this week and last and Final Four weekend limit my time). These ones will go through pokemon eugenics though.

also, Jiggy is a ho.

Captain N

vhfive said:
you should run into that investigator guy and he will tell you to meet him at the warehouse next to the building. he then opens the door in the warehouse

Yeah, I noticed right after I posted that.

Jiggy said:
I took third in GAF's first Pokemon tournament, if I remember correctly, and for the second one I swept the winners' bracket. It never finished due to people no-showing, but I would have been second at least!

Despite this, I think I'm pretty pathetic compared to the online players and I don't dare mess with them. I haven't even tried Shoddy out of fear for what it'll do to my self-esteem, but I can say that in GBA days with NetBattle I lost at least 80% of the time. Probably more. (Granted, though, that in NetBattle I was constantly using UU favorites, which didn't help me much.) So if you're just playing on GAF, don't be too worried... I mean, the mere fact that you're reading those articles already brings you a huge step up in the knowledge realm, and I got as far as I did around here with nothing to aid me except those very same Smogon posts.

And shoot, some people around here don't even breed or EV train. :p
Hi, JCX. The fact that my base 85 Speed Pokemon outruns your base 110 Speed Pokemon is going to give me nightmares until the end of time. :(

I don't know; I haven't found it to be as bad as all that. As knowledgeable as you come across in these threads, I find it hard to believe that you would face a similar winning percentage if you booted up Shoddy Battle. Sure, I occasionally get absolutely pasted, but most of the time I at least put up a good fight. And smogon actually has a tutoring program to get people involved.

But yeah, it's complicated, and there's a bunch to memorize... which is why I don't. Whenever I'm battling, I've got Smogon's strategydex opened up in my browser, and whenever a person sends a pokemon out, I'll often look up their page to get an idea of what kind of moveset I'm likely to see, and what types they are (I haven't even memorized that!) I also have Skarmory Nest's weakness calculator open, so I don't get confused with dual typings and end up making a mistake. At first you're going to be battling fairly slowly, almost getting DQed for being so slow, for all that looking up you're doing... but things get a lot better, and the game's a lot of fun once you've got the minimum knowledge.

In any case, as I said, judging by what you've posted in this thread, Jiggy, I'd wager you're a superior player to me, and with being completely unfamiliar with the DPP metagame save for reading all the OU strategydex articles on Smogon, over the past few days, my first days in the new metagame, I'm at a 35%-40% win percentage. Admittedly, I do have experience with Pokemon in the past, and my win percentage on 3rd gen netbattle was something like 66% (I have to admit that's less due to my skill and more due to the fact that most people had no idea how to handle surf/calm mind/sleep talk/ rest Suicune, or the similar set I ran on Snorlax. If they didn't have a hazer on their team, they'd be screwed, and I'd often with the game without ever swapping out my starting Suicune). Of course, I also tend to go straight for the jugular with my team creation; I tend to use the best avaliable threats and not go with UU pokemon because I like them. YMMV, but there are people who are up for UU tier battles if you're interested in using those pokemon on a more level field.

I don't think battling in this way takes the fun out of it. Personally, I enjoy plumbing the depths of a very complicated game and improving my skill in regards to it. I don't think that delving so deep requires that one be unfun about the game, taking your win percentage or whatever too seriously. It's certianly not the way to play for everyone, though!

Anerythristic said:
I fully respect the Tier system because it makes sense and is based off base stats/attack learnable.

Right know I am breeding and EV training a UU team or two , it's a bigger pool with a less competitve feel to the entire tier.

Also don't get me wrong the science behind it is very interesting and it is a science, complete with theories and equations :lol

I just had no idea people would get e-rage over the fact that you use Pokemon A when Pokemon B with this or that set has 5 extra points of SpA. That is not the crowd I am looking for.

Though there are certainly asshats in the community! I've also run across people who think that the competitive battlers are missing the true spirit of pokemon or some claptrap by viewing them as statistics instead of using your favorites. Heretical ways of playing video games: serious business.

Blizzard

Banned
Amibguous Cad said:
Annoying, but it's certainly fair, and I've never heard of Smogon banning such a set.

As far as I know, Smogon has always banned any form of evasion increasing, unless MAYBE it's a side effect from a move (and as far as I recall very few moves, if any, produce that effect). I think I played one actual online DS tourney from Smogon where they allowed it for testing, and maybe allowed wobbuffet too, but I don't think anyone really abused either one then.

Blizzard said:
As far as I know, Smogon has always banned any form of evasion increasing, unless MAYBE it's a side effect from a move (and as far as I recall very few moves, if any, produce that effect). I think I played one actual online DS tourney from Smogon where they allowed it for testing, and maybe allowed wobbuffet too, but I don't think anyone really abused either one then.

Yeah, evade moves are banned. Furthermore, folks should be considering that campaign is different from competition. Hazing Skarmory or something similar is totally off the game design path at the lv30 point in the game. (Unless that paragraph is referring to the smogon topic others are talking about.)

Semi off-topic.

The game Plants vs. Zombies by PopCap for PC was shown, and look at one of the plants:

33yj2v5.jpg

I don't know if both it and Bellsprout are based on some other character, but I haven't heard of it, so I'm under the impression that this guy's based on a certain Pokemon.

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, evade moves are banned. Furthermore, folks should be considering that campaign is different from competition. Hazing Skarmory or something similar is totally off the game design path at the lv30 point in the game. (Unless that paragraph is referring to the smogon topic others are talking about.)

True enough. I know I;m not very likely to have a move that can deal with it on level 30.

I stand corrected about the evasion moves on Smogon. I do think that the ban is unwarranted from a balance perspective- solutions exist, use them - but it does make the game more fun, because missing moves is just annoying. It kinda reminds me of Magic: The Gathering design... the designers say they always have to make sure that land destruction or discard doesn't get too powerful in a format, because playing against them is no fun and pumping up their power increases the frequency with which players will find them. I suppose pokemon designers haven't done the same thing with unfun things like evasion boosters, or at least haven't done it to the satisfaction of the community...

Teknoman

Do some big crabs actually make some kinda "Cookie-Cookie" noise or is it just a japanese thing. Was messing around in Monster Hunter Freedom 2 the other day, and one of the huge crab monsters sounded exactly like Kingler on the anime.

Dl_m26.jpg

EDIT: corrected.

Teknoman said:
Do some crabs actually make some kinda "Cookie-Cookie" noise or is it just a japanese thing. Was messing around in Monster Hunter Freedom 2 the other day, and one of the huge crab monsters sounded exactly like Krabby on the anime.

It was Kingler that went "COOKIE COOKIE", Krabby never really made any sort of intelligable sound.

colinp said:
I love how the Pokemon Center music changes depending on the time of day.

<3 this game

Yup. This is the best in the series, I just wish it was sped-up, and it would be one of the greatest games of all time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Amibguous Cad said:
True enough. I know I;m not very likely to have a move that can deal with it on level 30.

I stand corrected about the evasion moves on Smogon. I do think that the ban is unwarranted from a balance perspective- solutions exist, use them - but it does make the game more fun, because missing moves is just annoying. It kinda reminds me of Magic: The Gathering design... the designers say they always have to make sure that land destruction or discard doesn't get too powerful in a format, because playing against them is no fun and pumping up their power increases the frequency with which players will find them. I suppose pokemon designers haven't done the same thing with unfun things like evasion boosters, or at least haven't done it to the satisfaction of the community...
I think the evasion ban is a holdover from the RBY days when Swift was the only move that was a guaranteed hit, and it was Normal-type (not effective or even usable against many Pokemon types) and rather weak to boot. There are more moves capable of getting around evasion modifiers these days, but old habits die hard and much of the competitive crew probably doesn't think reversing the ban would make the game any more fun.

Issun23

Quick question from a new DS Lite buyer:

I have a European DS Lite, and a US copy of Platinum. If I want to use Pal Park with Fire Red / Leaf Green, do they need to be US versions too? And if they do, is the DS Lite region free when it comes to GBA games? Cheers.

Netto-kun

Issun23 said:
Quick question from a new DS Lite buyer:

I have a European DS Lite, and a US copy of Platinum. If I want to use Pal Park with Fire Red / Leaf Green, do they need to be US versions too? And if they do, is the DS Lite region free when it comes to GBA games? Cheers.
I've used my European Leaf Green and Emerald carts to transfer Pokémon over to my US copy of Diamond. So it should would fine for you.

grkazan12

So this post is coming from someone who hasn't played a pokemon since silver and gold and I was just wondering how do the new pokemon since silver and gold feel, do they feel rehashed or throw aways and is it overwhelming with the amount of new pokemon there are nowadays.

grkazan12 said:
So this post is coming from someone who hasn't played a pokemon since silver and gold and I was just wondering how do the new pokemon since silver and gold feel, do they feel rehashed or throw aways and is it overwhelming with the amount of new pokemon there are nowadays.

pretty overwhelming. you now have 492 official (493 unofficial) creatures. some do feel "meh"...Probopass comes to mind. OTOH, some are great. Shinx/Luxio/Luxray is my favorite so far this gen.

Sixfortyfive

biggyfries said:
pretty overwhelming. you now have 492 official (493 unofficial) creatures. some do feel "meh"...Probopass comes to mind. OTOH, some are great. Shinx/Luxio/Luxray is my favorite so far this gen.
Every generation of Pokemon has a fair number of awesome and awful creatures.

It's why I really don't understand RBY purists. Come on, you really thought Mr. Mime and Jynx were cool?

larvi

Anerythristic said:
I am breeding Flygons, the "babies" are born with Hyper Cutter or something else as an ability. Do they "gain" Levitate when evolved?

Yep, they will get levitate when they evolve into vibravas

Ravidrath

There are a lot of really stupid Pokemon, in all Generations.

I do think the first gen Pokemon are the most consistently strong, but there are some good designs in later gens. I think the starters and legendaries are pretty consistently awesome throughout, though.

I really hate Nosepass and Probopass... so many better ways to make cool Pokemon out of Moai. I also really dislike Volbeat and Illumise... those are my Most Hated Pokemon, but I've got a lot of issues with others, mostly due to lost opportunities...

Like, really, Drifloon/Drifblim were the best you could come up with for a Flying Ghost? And Spiritomb is just too visually weird and boring for as awesome as it is as a Pokemon.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sixfortyfive said:
Every generation of Pokemon has a fair number of awesome and awful creatures.

It's why I really don't understand RBY purists. Come on, you really thought Mr. Mime and Jynx were cool?
I think the point is that RBY have the best ratio of good to shit pokemon of all the generations. And then even when RBY had shit Pokemon (like Mr. Mime in your example) they were still rather memorable and useful (who would forget a mime called Mr. Mime?). While I'm sure some of this is due to nostalgia, alot of it also has to due with the fact that Game Freaks has been harder and harder pressed to come up with original Pokemon. Especially since the later games have been using more and more useless gimmick Pokemon (the 1HP ghost bug anyone?), Legendaries and (pre)evolutions.

mattso

grandjedi6 said:
I think the point is that RBY have the best ratio of good to shit pokemon of all the generations. And then even when RBY had shit Pokemon (like Mr. Mime in your example) they were still rather memorable and useful (who would forget a mime called Mr. Mime?). While I'm sure some of this is due to nostalgia, alot of it also has to due with the fact that Game Freaks has been harder and harder pressed to come up with original Pokemon. Especially since the later games have been using more and more useless gimmick Pokemon (the 1HP ghost bug anyone?), Legendaries and (pre)evolutions.
shedinja is really cool. one of my most successful competitive teams was based around shedinja's awesome ability. Call it a gimmick if you want, but if I was able to get rid of any threats to shedinja then it was good game better luck next time. Even if it wasn't that simple he was such a great switch in on bulky waters I could usually get a will-o-wisp in on the next pokemon they'd have to switch in.

Plus I always thought the idea behind it was pretty awesome.

JCX

I could not be objective rating generations. RBY hold the most nostalgia to me, so Ilike that group the most.

Captain N

JCX said:
I could not be objective rating generations. RBY hold the most nostalgia to me, so Ilike that group the most.

I agree with this! I still remember most of those Pokemon. I wish Nintendo luck with the next generation of Pokemon.

Reich

Can anyone make me a low Rhyhorn. Need him for boost exp, he ll lvl up real fast. Just give me a private message. Thx in advance.

Guled said:
In terms of the Pokemon:

R/S/E>D/P/P>R/B/Y>>G/S/C

But in terms of the actual games:

D/P/P>R/S/E>G/S/C=R/B/Y

Fixed. The R/S/E generation definitely hold the most nostalgia for me and I connected most with the Pokemon and story introduced into that generation.

Jiggy

colinp said:
I love how the Pokemon Center music changes depending on the time of day.

<3 this game
Every piece of town music, actually--and it's a great touch, yes.

Though I'm not sure why they realized it could be a great touch for towns while not thinking to implement more battle themes per game, given that players are going to spend much more time in battle than in any one town. It makes even less sense considering that the anime still uses every region's battle themes and mixes them up for great effect... Something that really needs to be done in the games. :(

As for Pokemon designs...

I'm not listing them off, but counting only fully-evolved Pokemon (including Pokemon who were fully-evolved in their own time but wouldn't be considered so now):

R/B/Y: love 42, dislike 12
G/S/C: love 28, dislike 11
R/S/E: love 20, dislike 37
D/P/P: love 29, dislike 21

(The rest are neutral or slightly liked.)

The original generation was far and away the strongest. Almost no complaints from me--nearly every Pokemon I dislike is a Humanshape type. When I first played G/S/C I hated a lot of the Pokemon instantaneously, but in hindsight that was more a reaction to the number of good Pokemon going straight downhill. There weren't many I could point to that I actively disliked, but most of them left me pretty indifferent.

Then came R/S and suddenly I wanted G/S/C back. Worst generation of Pokemon designs by an enormous margin, mainly because of the following:

1) Clone Pokemon who couldn't compare to the originals. Beautifly, Delcatty, Seviper, Walrein, Crawdaunt, Aggron... I have nothing against using the same animals as a basis in principle, but these in particular were consistently less cool-looking than their predecessors. And although I love Groudon's design, it's basically a super-sized red Sandslash without spikes--and I prefer Sandslash.

2) Conceptually-similar Pokemon who I also liked less. The Nidos destroy Volbeat and Illumise. Magneton is much more interesting than Lunatone and Solrock. Compare Masquerain to most Bug/Flying types from the first generation. Armaldo escapes this category somewhat because I think it's a pretty cool Pokemon in its own right, but it's still no Kabutops.

3) Paint-by-numbers design. Spinda: take teddy bear, add swirls. Luvdisc: take heart, add eyes. Glalie: take floating head, add horns. Yawn. :(

4) A bizarre and sudden obsession with golems and other earthen beasts, namely Nosepass, Claydol, and the Regis.

As for D/P/P, it's a huge step up from R/S/E, but still a pretty forgettable generation aside from all the evolutions of pre-existing Pokemon (which are mostly awesome). If not for those evolutions, there wouldn't be much to love, but there also wouldn't be much to hate--I'd be down to only twelve and sixteen, respectively. Most of the mistakes D/P/P made with designs are along the same lines as R/S/E, but thankfully in much lesser quantities. Mothim, Purugly, Kricketune, Bastiodon, Bronzong--again, we've just seen better designs in this very same vein before.

My biggest complaint about R/S/E was how it felt like you spent most of your time on fucking water. Thank God they did something interesting with the water,(Dive for example) because you were constantly on it.

fisheyes

Jiggy said:
3) Paint-by-numbers design. Spinda: take teddy bear, add swirls. Luvdisc: take heart, add eyes. Glalie: take floating head, add horns. Yawn. :(

You've gotta be kidding me. The first generation of Pokemon is based entirely on the concept of 'take some animal / creature / item, add something'. To call out Spinda on being a 'teddy bear, add swirls' is to call out charmander on being a 'lizard, add fire', meowth for being a 'cat, add gold plate', or, hell, poliwag for being a 'tadpole, add swirls'.

I'm not hating on the 1st gen here, in fact its my favourite too, but come on now, really?

Sixfortyfive

grandjedi6 said:
Man what? :p Shedinja is awesome. A bug Pokemon sheds its skin to evolve into two separate Pokemon, the skin itself becoming a Bug/Ghost? I haven't even used one at all yet, but I think that's a pretty cool concept.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What kind of pisses me off is to get some pokemon some moves you need to raise them in a previous generation and then transfer them over, or get them in pokemon XD or colosseum or something and transfer them over.

Not to mention move tutors teaching different moves as well.

Dealing with version exclusive moves is as much a bitch as it was in previous gens (maybe even more so).

While they kind of fixed getting all the types of pokemon through online, movesets are worse than ever in this regard.

Would be nice if you could see a pokemon's moveset/stats in GTS, I suppose

Sixfortyfive

GaimeGuy said:
What kind of pisses me off is to get some pokemon some moves you need to raise them in a previous generation and then transfer them over, or get them in pokemon XD or colosseum or something and transfer them over.
Agreed. I've started training a few guys before only to realize that I have no legal means to obtain the moveset I want without buying some shovelware Gamecube entry in the series or some crap.

I do have an Action Replay now, so I could circumvent that limitation if I wanted, but for some reason I have a really hard time justifying its use for such things. All I really use it for is to cut down the time required to accomplish things I can already do without it.

I fail at using cheating devices.:lol

Top Bottom