• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
grandjedi6 said:
So since I have the itch to play Pokemon and yet I refuse to be a consumer whore and buy Platinum, I decided to instead rent Leaf Green from Gamefly (which I had never played before)..... Gee, I hope the inevitable Silver/Gold remakes aren't this literal :/

First off, what do you mean by "consumer whore."

Second off, it's a remake what did you expect? There is a fair amount of new content, but it's not unlocked until after you beat the Elite Four

kamikaze

anyone get the secret key from wi-fi connection yet? i just tried downloading it and it came up empty. are nintendo waiting for it to be the 20th in alaska and hawaii, too?

*edit* nvm, just got the secret key...thank you mysterious neighbor with the unsecured wifi. saved me the trouble of changing router settings. :D

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So is it 100% confirmed that the alternate forms of Rotom, Giratina, and Shaymin are not usable on wi-fi?

What about local versus?

zoukka

Is there a newbie guide to Platinum somewhere that doesn't contain a million words? I mean not the basic stuff (I've played RED/Silver/Ruby), but the more in-depth stuff explained so an idiot like me can understand it. Egg farming and Pokemon stats (which pokemons are totally useless etc...)

I'm not gonna just pick some super-team that champions use, but it would be nice to dodge some of the crappiest ones for sure. And are any Pokemon banned from online usage?

I remember playing some low-level tournaments in the Ruby-days and they were awesome. You didn't have to grind for months to be able to gather a group of contestants. Are there tourneys like these anymore?

I have no idea why I'm getting the urge for some Pokemon... I know it'll be the end of any other games for a while (well maybe that's why!)

zoukka said:
Is there a newbie guide to Platinum somewhere that doesn't contain a million words? I mean not the basic stuff (I've played RED/Silver/Ruby), but the more in-depth stuff explained so an idiot like me can understand it. Egg farming and Pokemon stats (which pokemons are totally useless etc...)

I'm not gonna just pick some super-team that champions use, but it would be nice to dodge some of the crappiest ones for sure. And are any Pokemon banned from online usage?

I remember playing some low-level tournaments in the Ruby-days and they were awesome. You didn't have to grind for months to be able to gather a group of contestants. Are there tourneys like these anymore?

I have no idea why I'm getting the urge for some Pokemon... I know it'll be the end of any other games for a while (well maybe that's why!)
Serebii?

zoukka said:
I checked the site and clicked game mechanics.

I'm fucked :lol

It says the guides apply to Ruby/Emerald generation?
There's a section dedicated to Platinum. You can also try smogon, if you want info on PKMN tiers and competitive battling.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
aww, is this mystery gift thing Platinum exclusive? :/

PataHikari said:
First off, what do you mean by "consumer whore."
Do I really have to explain the definition of "consumer whore"? I was just making a joke about how the Pokemon addiction was kicking in like it usually does during a new release, yet because I refuse to buy Platinum (since I already have Diamond) I just instead rented Leafgreen.

Second off, it's a remake what did you expect? There is a fair amount of new content, but it's not unlocked until after you beat the Elite Four
eh, I was just thrown off by the lack of new features since I thought they were integrated in the main game. My opinion has risen since then though (especially after the game finally gave me the running boots). Still, I hope the gold/silver remakes are more than this. Otherwise they wouldn't be worth the purchase.

Teknoman

It's "Mowtom" time! :D

And yup, this time its Platinum exclusive, however, other gifts like entry into Shaymin's area, Darkrai, or Arceus (maybe even other stuff) should be for all versions since D/P support the feature as well.

EDIT: Wait, if I change Rotom, it still learns its normal moves in addition to the new one right?

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Wait, if I change Rotom, it still learns its normal moves in addition to the new one right?

Yes, but the special move is always removed/replaced by other forms. So treat the form exclusive move as sort of untouchable.

MisterHero

chansey why do you have to be so hard to catch

i hate you and i hate HMs, making Flash a recyclable TM was a great choice and they replaced it with Defog?

goddam

Teknoman

Crazymoogle said:
Yes, but the special move is always removed/replaced by other forms. So treat the form exclusive move as sort of untouchable.

Got it. Also whats up with the talk of a Pokemon inhabiting a toy robot? Another secret Rotom form maybe? Unless that was something from Rotom's past.

grandjedi6

MisterHero said:
chansey why do you have to be so hard to catch

i hate you and i hate HMs, making Flash a recyclable TM was a great choice and they replaced it with Defog?

goddam
Every HM should be like Surf

D-Pad

Woke up. Grabbed my DS off of the night stand and flipped it on. Downloaded the secret key. Flipped it closed. Rolled over and went back to sleep and had some sweet dreams.

@ zoukka: Try www.psypokes.com ?

Teknoman said:
Got it. Also whats up with the talk of a Pokemon inhabiting a toy robot? Another secret Rotom form maybe? Unless that was something from Rotom's past.

Yeah, it was his past. That's what the second book in the room basically covers. Rotom basically inhabits any sort of electric object, so theoretically in future games they can keep expanding his selection. Oak just originally thought the toy itself might be a pokemon, but didn't think of the possibility of a controlling ghost.

The form limitations are a bit weird to me;
Rotom = can be stored, but forms don't work in vs./online play
Shaymin = form is lost if Shaymin is stored or if it's past daytime or if Shaymin is frozen

I'd hope that going forward they can keep their forms more readily, because there's really no competitive hit because of these forms, apart from Nintendo's mad "no legendaries, ever" clause.

Penguin: will let you know next time I'm online this week, will hand out some dittos. You download the secret key from the mystery gift option on the main menu.

Ravidrath

The form limits, I think, are just to completely sidestep the entire "what if you battle someone without Platinum thing."

They'll be usable and normal in the 5th gen game, I'm sure.

Teknoman

Aw Motom cant be used online? I guess that would pose a problem if someone didnt have platinum. Better be compatible with the next Wii complimentary game.

Teknoman said:
Aw Motom cant be used online? I guess that would pose a problem if someone didnt have platinum. Better be compatible with the next Wii complimentary game.

I think I'm going to stick with Fantom...although I wonder which is best, moveset wise. Hrm.

I just got a new router, and set it so I had security. Now the DS can't use the connection because it doesn't support the settings. What the fuck.

Is there an easy way to change it to WEP or something real quick, and then switch it back without without screwing up all my connections?

grandjedi6 said:
Do I really have to explain the definition of "consumer whore"? I was just making a joke about how the Pokemon addiction was kicking in like it usually does during a new release, yet because I refuse to buy Platinum (since I already have Diamond) I just instead rented Leafgreen.

Oh, I didn't know you already had Diamond. I took from your posts that LG was the first Pokemon game in a while.

So here's my team so far, I just got to the Elite Four:

Magmortar
Psychic
Faint Attack
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower

Lucario
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere
Iron Tail

Electivire
Shock Wave
Thunderbolt
Fire Punch
Flamethrower

Torterra
Giga Drain
Earthquake
Leech Seed
Wood Hammer

Staraptor
Close Combat
Brave Bird
Fly
Aerial Ace

Empoleon
Ice Beam
Surf
Waterfall
Flash Cannon

still needs a bit of tweaking, any suggestions?

edit: I'm thinking of replacing shockwave with earthquake, waterfall with bide, and perhaps aerial ace with something else...

Is anyone else finding that Grotle is a beast?

Grotle_rc_jump.png

My Grotle has Energy Ball, Bite, Rock Climb, and Razor Leaf and rips apart pretty much anything in its way.

Legjend said:

A lack of ice. Your team is basically a fighting team - no buff moves to speak of - so you won't be able to sweep. You'll just have to go toe-to-toe with the Elite Four based on matchups, and that could mean trouble against the likes of Dragonite or Garchomp, who may try to KO your big grass fighters. Blissey would also be a problem but I can't recall if she even shows up in the E4. Heracross will break apart your Lucario but I imagine you can just swap in Magmortar to finish him off after Lucario goes down.

Earthquake in particular could devastate everyone on your team except for Staraptor.

As far as obvious fixes, Electivire needs Ice Punch and Thunder Wave (or some other crazy punch if you're only concerned about coverage. Earthquake is a popular move he can use.) Empoleon also needs to drop a water move, and Lucario is usually a prime choice for Close Combat.

Blueblur1

I was browsing this thread earlier today and coincidentally Cartoon Network was airing the first Pokemon movie. Nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks so I've ordered Platinum off the GameStop site (had $10 coupon code from that GameDays coupon fiasco). I can't wait. :D

God, I have no clue what to evolve my Eevee into. I want to incorporate it into my team, so I am leaning towards the grass one (I have no other grass Pokemon). I'm gonna have to sleep on this.

Giard

Is there any point to the Silver Prints you get for your VS Recorder? Are there gold prints?

Legjend said:
So here's my team so far, I just got to the Elite Four:

Magmortar
Psychic
Faint Attack
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower

Lucario
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere
Iron Tail

Electivire
Shock Wave
Thunderbolt
Fire Punch
Flamethrower

Torterra
Giga Drain
Earthquake
Leech Seed
Wood Hammer

Staraptor
Close Combat
Brave Bird
Fly
Aerial Ace

Empoleon
Ice Beam
Surf
Waterfall
Flash Cannon

edit: I'm thinking of replacing shockwave with earthquake, waterfall with bide, and perhaps aerial ace with something else...
It's pretty much useless to have more than one move of the same type on the same pokemon, so Electivire with Fire Punch and Flamethrower makes no sense. Keep Fire Punch, as it's attack stat is probably higher than it's special attack. Aim for good type coverage.

Blu_LED said:
God, I have no clue what to evolve my Eevee into. I want to incorporate it into my team, so I am leaning towards the grass one (I have no other grass Pokemon). I'm gonna have to sleep on this.
Leafeon has a nice attack and defense, but it's weak to ice and has pathetic HP and special defense...you're better off teaching a grass move to another pokemon, such as Energy Ball or Grass Knot IMO.

vhfive

Blu_LED said:
dont it doesn't learn any good moves

Giard said:
Leafeon has a nice attack and defense, but it's weak to ice and has pathetic HP and special defense...you're better off teaching a grass move to another pokemon, such as Energy Ball or Grass Knot IMO.
Or you could always get a Grotle. FUCK YEAH GROTLE!

Ash%27s_Grotle0.PNG

hey guys I've been off the loop for a while... I remember in the original red and blue games you wanted to catch your pokemon as low a lvl as possible to raise their stats better and that traded pokemon although faster at levelling weren't as good as your own caught ones statswise.

can someone tell me if these two are still true for platinum? also what are these EV stats i keep hearing about? basically i want to know what's the best way to raise pokemon for stats and stuff :p how do you guys raise your critters?

Akim

Banned
Weak..My Wi-Fi works fine when I'm browsing the internet on my DSi but as soon as I try to get a mystery gift it gives me an error.

Legjend said:
*team*

Replace Shockwave with Ice Punch, I'm pretty sure that the new move tutor guy outside of Pastoria can teach it to him. Also try to teach him Brick Break to replace flamethrower, since Electivire's attack stat is better than it's sp attack stat.

Take off fly and put something else.

btw most of that team is going to get raped by ground type moves (aka EQ). It would be helpful if you listed all of their natures.

Rocket Punch said:
hey guys I've been off the loop for a while... I remember in the original red and blue games you wanted to catch your pokemon as low a lvl as possible to raise their stats better and that traded pokemon although faster at levelling weren't as good as your own caught ones statswise.

can someone tell me if these two are still true for platinum? also what are these EV stats i keep hearing about? basically i want to know what's the best way to raise pokemon for stats and stuff :p how do you guys raise your critters?

In this game, the level you catch (or evolve, even) any given monster at doesn't matter because of the ways EVs work. IF you decide to EV train, you can seriously just finish EV training and then pump them full of rare candies or whatever to get their levels up.

EVs are just hidden values that increase the stat total (you'll see the effects once a Pokemon levels up). Basically you gain EVs depending on what monster you fight. Certain monsters give a specific amount of EVs, for example fighting a Starly gives 1 speed EV. To raise any stat by 1 stat point you need 4 EVs. So if you fight 4 Starly and then level that pokemon up, you should see that stat increase by 1 in addition to whatever other stat points you got from levelling up.
so the conversion factor is 4 EVs to 1 stat point

basically training for stats works like this:
1) pick your pokemon with good IV
2) pick one with a good nature
both 1+2 are random so good luck (but you can influence them through breeding)
3) choose your EV spread, basically choosing EVs that add up to 508 , which is divisible by 4 (the combined limit for all EVs on one monster is 510 but the extra 2 evs aren't usable), and that will enhance the monsters natural abilities. A common spread for a physical sweeper would be 252 attack evs, 252 speed evs and 4 hp evs on a (such as Staraptor).
4) buy the appropiate amounts of vitamins (protein, calcium, etc) and give them to the monster you're training. each vitamin increases the ev count for that stat by 10. If the EVs for that stat are at 0, then the limit to the amount of vitamins you can use on one monster (for a specific stat) is 10.
5) find and fight the monsters that yield the EVs you need, and use the counter app on the pokemon watch to help you with that
6) raise it until it reaches level 100

Akim said:
Weak..My Wi-Fi works fine when I'm browsing the internet on my DSi but as soon as I try to get a mystery gift it gives me an error.

You setup using WEP? or WPA?

Blu_LED said:

Umbreon is probably the most successful on smogon; he has a crazy stall-out moveset and dark moves are pretty useful in the campaign. I'm more of an espeon fan though...Pokemon doesn't get enough interesting non-legendary psychics ever since RBY.

Jiggy

Giard said:
It's pretty much useless to have more than one move of the same type on the same pokemon, so Electivire with Fire Punch and Flamethrower makes no sense. Keep Fire Punch, as it's attack stat is probably higher than it's special attack.
viewtiful_dru said:
Replace Shockwave with Ice Punch, I'm pretty sure that the new move tutor guy outside of Pastoria can teach it to him. Also try to teach him Brick Break to replace flamethrower, since Electivire's attack stat is better than it's sp attack stat.
Fire Punch: 75 power
Flamethrower: 95 power

Electivire's max Attack at level 100 (neutral): 345
Electivire's max Special Attack: 289

Flamethrower is actually about 8% more powerful if EV investment is equal. But what really sets the two moves apart are the defensive stats of whatever's being attacked. If Electivire is using a Fire move, it's probably against one of these two categories:

1) Things that are weak to Fire but not weak to Electric. Among this bunch, some notables are Scizor, Metagross, Forretress, Magnezone, Mamoswine, Tangrowth, and Torterra, who all have much better physical than special defense, to the tune of at least 40 stat points per Pokemon at level 100. As for the ones with better special defense, there's Heracross, Abomasnow, Roserade, and Sceptile. (And keep in mind that for Pokemon with equal defensive stats, like Lucario and Bronzong, Flamethrower still hits harder.)

2) Things that are immune or resistant to Electric but neutral to Fire. Among this bunch, you've got things like Giscor, Donphan, and Hippowdon who utterly wall Fire Punch, whereas for threats who would rather be hit by Flamethrower than Fire Punch there's... opposing Electivire, I guess.

Flamethrower is the pick I'd go with nearly every time, in-game or otherwise.

Blu_LED said:
Umbreon/Vaporeon for Tank

All eevolutions are great baton passers.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wii Will Rock U said:
Is anyone else finding that Grotle is a beast?

Grotle_rc_jump.png
His evolution is an order of magnitude better. Earthquake and Wood Hammer will destroy everything, but you have to use the Heart Scale tutor to teach him Wood Hammer.

Blu_LED said:
The grass one is okay, but it doesn't learn its best move until level 70-something, so you shouldn't use it for the main quest.

Rocket Punch said:
Both of these things you say are and have always been false.

grandjedi6

shykyoichi said:
Umbreon/Vaporeon for Tank

All eevolutions are great baton passers.

When exactly did Vaporeon become so awesome anyway? I decided to evolve eevee to Vaporeon in leaf green since it was pretty much my only choice but its turned out to be a great one. The little guy can survive anything, even strong electric or grass attacks without loosing much health. Plus he has that whole "water absorb" ability. Seriously, when did Vaporeon get so awesome?

So Vaporeon is awesome and Leafeon... is not so awesome. What about the other eevee evolutions?

Giard

Jiggy said:
Fire Punch: 75 power
Flamethrower: 95 power

Electivire's max Attack at level 100 (neutral): 345
Electivire's max Special Attack: 289

Flamethrower is actually about 8% more powerful if EV investment is equal. But what really sets the two moves apart are the defensive stats of whatever's being attacked. If Electivire is using a Fire move, it's probably against one of these two categories:

1) Things that are weak to Fire but not weak to Electric. Among this bunch, some notables are Scizor, Metagross, Forretress, Magnezone, Mamoswine, Tangrowth, and Torterra, who all have much better physical than special defense, to the tune of at least 40 stat points per Pokemon at level 100. As for the ones with better special defense, there's Heracross, Abomasnow, Roserade, and Sceptile. (And keep in mind that for Pokemon with equal defensive stats, like Lucario and Bronzong, Flamethrower still hits harder.)

2) Things that are immune or resistant to Electric but neutral to Fire. Among this bunch, you've got things like Giscor, Donphan, and Hippowdon who utterly wall Fire Punch, whereas for threats who would rather be hit by Flamethrower than Fire Punch there's... opposing Electivire, I guess.

Flamethrower is the pick I'd go with nearly every time, in-game or otherwise.
Holy analysing Batman
What if he'd use moves such as Ice Punch, Earthquake? We can assume the EVs would go in Attack. Besides Flamethrower and Thunderbolt/Discharge, Electivire's special move repertoire is pretty weak IMO.

grandjedi6 said:
When exactly did Vaporeon become so awesome anyway? I decided to evolve eevee to Vaporeon in leaf green since it was pretty much my only choice but its turned out to be a great one. The little guy can survive anything, even strong electric or grass attacks without loosing much health. Plus he has that whole "water absorb" ability. Seriously, when did Vaporeon get so awesome?

So Vaporeon is awesome and Leafeon... is not so awesome. What about the other eevee evolutions?
Umbreon makes for a good tank, Jolteon can be a nice starter as well. Espeon has potential, but as with a lot of Eevee evolutions, he has a very shallow movepool.
(All this IMO)

grandjedi6 said:

Vaporeon is the fucking shit. I too evolved Eevee because I needed a Surf slave, but to my surprise, not only is it a beast in terms of HP and Def., but it's Sp. Atk is quite strong and Surf ends up sweeping pretty much anything that comes across it. Water Absorb pretty much neutralizes other Surf users, among other Water attacks.

<3

Also, I'm trying to breed Elekid to learn Cross Chop. But how do I go about doing that? Can I find the move as a TM? If I breed it with Magmar or Machop, do they have to know the move before I go and breed them?

Giard

effingvic said:
Vaporeon is the fucking shit. I too evolved Eevee because I needed a Surf slave, but to my surprise, not only is it a beast in terms of HP and Def., but it's Sp. Atk is quite strong and Surf ends up sweeping pretty much anything that comes across it. Water Absorb pretty much neutralizes other Surf users, among other Water attacks.

<3

Also, I'm trying to breed Elekid to learn Cross Chop. But how do I go about doing that? Can I find the move as a TM? If I breed it with Magmar or Machop, do they have to know the move before I go and breed them?
I don't think there is a TM for the move. A male Machop must learn the move, then mate with a female Electabuzz.

Ackk. Okay sounds good.

I wish I planned out my Pokemon earlier on. I realized I wasted a lot of TMs for stupid reasons and I can't get em' back! Argh.

Top Bottom