• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a spare Thunderstone that they would be willing to trade to me? I have a DSi so I can't transfer anything from FR/LG anymore. : (

I don't have much I could give in return.

Cocopjojo said:
Does anyone have a spare Thunderstone that they would be willing to trade to me? I have a DSi so I can't transfer anything from FR/LG anymore. : (

I don't have much I could give in return.

Yeah I should have plenty of spares. Did about 30hrs of underground mining on Pearl once. The trick is going to be online when I am (aka: evening pacific time.)

Or you could just go mining for a bit yourself if you're desperate...they aren't common but I ended up with two dozen or so as I recall.

Ravidrath

Still no Platinum update for Ranch... Wish they'd tell us when this was coming. No reason it shouldn't have been released alongside Platinum.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Crazymoogle said:
Yeah I should have plenty of spares. Did about 30hrs of underground mining on Pearl once. The trick is going to be online when I am (aka: evening pacific time.)

Or you could just go mining for a bit yourself if you're desperate...they aren't common but I ended up with two dozen or so as I recall.
I'll go Underground and see if I can find one. If I don't have one by later tonight, I'll post again and see if you're available to trade me one. ; )

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Cocopjojo said:
I'll go Underground and see if I can find one. If I don't have one by later tonight, I'll post again and see if you're available to trade me one. ; )
Heh, just found one on my first visit Underground on my second dig.

Crocodile

Unlike last generation, I just decided to wait till the third game came out before jumping on the pokeman bandwagon. I can already feel my Pokemon related OCD returning to me. I pretty much just started the game so I'm not far along and don't have that much. That being said, would anyone be kind enough to trade me a Chimchar egg and a Piplup egg? My friend code is: 1805-8673-6274. I don't have much of anything to offer at this point in the game but it would be REALLY appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Lately I've been working on my National Pokedex, haven't had a Ditto yet to help with certain guys like Baby pre-evolutions or extra starters to trade off. I'll definitely kick that off when I can. >_>

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Lately I've been working on my National Pokedex, haven't had a Ditto yet to help with certain guys like Baby pre-evolutions or extra starters to trade off. I'll definitely kick that off when I can. >_>

I'm at 451/ 407 now, should be back up to 492 in a week or so. The last 40 is always a sweat. :lol Still got a bank of dittos, I can probably do those egg requests too sometime tonight. Maybe in an hour or two. Space is becoming a huge problem because I'm literally going the ark route - 1 of every pokemon will be in the box! :lol

Could really use a Chatot or Bibarel, too busy to bother catching those right now.

Captain N

I turned the game on yesterday and my game save was GONE!!! I started a new save and after saving and turning off the system...gone again! I had to go and get another copy of the game. :( There goes like 100 hours down the drain.

Captain N said:
I turned the game on yesterday and my game save was GONE!!! I started a new save and after saving and turning off the system...gone again! I had to go and get another copy of the game. :( There goes like 100 hours down the drain.

Try calling Nintendo on that; sounds like the battery died (or the memory...I forget what setup DS carts use for max save size.)

Captain N said:

Happened to my silver after I left the cart in my school trousers and it went in the wash.

Man I loved silver so much. Broke my heart. :'-(.

mattso

haven't been playing the ds too much the last few weeks, but when I do it's still just battle factory for me.

I must beat it.

Teknoman

drtomoe123 said:
I'm kind of itching for a GAF battle...anyone up for it? PM me.

I still need to get my teams in order and so on. Told myself I wouldnt trade things over from Diamond to Platinum until I at least beat the E4 on Platinum.

I know there are alot of people with Pokemon D/P and now Platinum...so would be nice if we could gauge interest for a casual tournament.

Also cant believe I actually got wiped out by Fantina.

Teknoman said:
I still need to get my teams in order and so on. Told myself I wouldnt trade things over from Diamond to Platinum until I at least beat the E4 on Platinum.

I know there are alot of people with Pokemon D/P and now Platinum...so would be nice if we could gauge interest for a casual tournament.

Also cant believe I actually got wiped out by Fantina.

Yeah, I started up Platinum a while back, but never got far because of school and such, but definitely starting back on it next week, especially with the GS possibility.

But I'd definitely be up for some tournaments once everyone gets their stuff together. :D

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Hey guys, all this dicussion about gold and silver remakes have got my blood pumping for some pokemon. I have Diamond and Pearl and a DS Phat and a DS Lite. I'm thinking about restarting my Diamond and Pearl game saves and getting Platinum but my question is this: If I really wanted to get serious in playing competitively (EV/IVs, OP, UP, all that jazz), do I need any of the GBA versions? If so, which ones?

mattso

Judderman said:
Hey guys, all this dicussion about gold and silver remakes have got my blood pumping for some pokemon. I have Diamond and Pearl and a DS Phat and a DS Lite. I'm thinking about restarting my Diamond and Pearl game saves and getting Platinum but my question is this: If I really wanted to get serious in playing competitively (EV/IVs, OP, UP, all that jazz), do I need any of the GBA versions? If so, which ones?
You don't unless you really want the legendaries from them and don't feel like trading or if they have an exclusive move tutor you don't feel like trading for.

I remember some moves like seismic toss blissey didn't work without bringing it over from last gen... don't know now with the new move tutors. I think this one is still the case though.

Anyways I was super into the competitive scene 2 summers ago and only had diamond.

Firestorm

Judderman said:
Only if anyone on your team needs a move they can only learn in Emerald... Like if you want a Belly Drum + Fire Punch Charizard. And Emerald if you get a GBA one. Breeding on the other four is a horrible experience.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I just finally managed to get a DSi and have not played a Pokemon game since Gold on GameBoy, would you all recommend I get this game or one of the other DS Pokemons first?

Jiggy

Judderman said:
Hey guys, all this dicussion about gold and silver remakes have got my blood pumping for some pokemon. [...] If I really wanted to get serious in playing competitively (EV/IVs, OP, UP, all that jazz), do I need any of the GBA versions? If so, which ones?
Emerald is the only one you'd possibly need, but even then I'd wait. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gold/Silver remakes reintroduced the Emerald tutors that aren't in D/P/P yet, and those are the only noteworthy feature still unique to third-gen.

Penguin

Crazymoogle said:
I'm at 451/ 407 now, should be back up to 492 in a week or so. The last 40 is always a sweat. :lol Still got a bank of dittos, I can probably do those egg requests too sometime tonight. Maybe in an hour or two. Space is becoming a huge problem because I'm literally going the ark route - 1 of every pokemon will be in the box! :lol

Could really use a Chatot or Bibarel, too busy to bother catching those right now.

Don't you get a Chatot for free or am I thinking of something else?
And also may have a Bibarel.

Penguin said:
Don't you get a Chatot for free or am I thinking of something else?
And also may have a Bibarel.

Maybe. I just haven't really left the breeding track for a week or so.

Hey, if you want to go online, I still have that Ditto for ya. It has some quick powder.

EDIT: busy fighting Palkia...just post when you're going online.

Penguin

Crazymoogle said:
Maybe. I just haven't really left the breeding track for a week or so.

Hey, if you want to go online, I still have that Ditto for ya. It has some quick powder.

EDIT: busy fighting Palkia...just post when you're going online.
Don't know if posted code yet
4511 6657 2179

Shall be on after some L4D

xSL4INx

Can anyone help me out in a huge way and let me borrow their male Scizor that knows Bullet Punch so I can breed myself an adamant Scyther with Technician ability that knows Bullet Punch?

I'll give it right back, I just really need to get a Bullet Punching Scizor.

Penguin said:
Hopping on now Crazy Moogle if still around.

Will be online in a minute

EDIT: heh, sorry, if there's something else you want, let me know right away, none of the other guys on my roster were tradeable though

Penguin said:
Sweet thanks, was trying to send you a Chatot as well. :(

Edit, you also said had an army of Chimcars?

Yeah, uh the spare box right now has Eevee/Chimchar/Croagunk/Meditite/Paras/Ledyba/Mantine, I can pretty much breed anything though

EDIT: uh, you didn't say what else you wanted, hope chimchar/mantine is fine for now. If there's another pokemon you need, let me know...my right-this-second reserves are pretty low but it doesn't take too long to generate eggs.

Penguin

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, uh the spare box right now has Eevee/Chimchar/Croagunk/Meditite/Paras/Ledyba/Mantine, I can pretty much breed anything though

EDIT: uh, you didn't say what else you wanted, hope chimchar/mantine is fine for now. If there's another pokemon you need, let me know...my right-this-second reserves are pretty low but it doesn't take too long to generate eggs.

Okay sweet, and thanks for all of these now. :D

Captain N

Deadly Cyclone said:
So I just finally managed to get a DSi and have not played a Pokemon game since Gold on GameBoy, would you all recommend I get this game or one of the other DS Pokemons first?

I would say if you want to pick up a Pokemon game this would be the one to get.

Kletian

So all the Pokemon hype has gotten me into playing Diamond again. I need some help in rounding out my team, keeping in mind that I'm going to just be playing casually (i.e. no EV training etc) with friends and our only rule will be no Legendaries.

Drapion
Gliscor
Garchomp
??? (Dusknoir?)
??? (Drifloon - Baton Pass +critchance to Drapion)?
???

I'm thinking I need something with special attacks, something with high defenses and water/grass/ice/electric moves to round it out but I'm not sure what I want to use. Help? :D

Ravidrath

Probably very late on this, but since I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread, I thought I'd bring it up...

Did you know that you have a much greater chance of getting Shinies if you breed two Pokemon from different languages/regions? Apparently your chances of getting a Shiny quadruple, to around 1/2000.

So if you breed a Pokemon from a Japanese cart with a Pokemon from an English cart, your chances go up.

Masuda mentioned it on his blog, and it was confirmed by the Smogon RNG crazies.

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=30

Also, apparently Pokemon from other languages/regions gain an additional 10% bonus exp.

Edit: Edited for clarity... by region I mean region on earth, not region in PokeWorld.

Ravidrath said:
Probably very late on this, but since I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread, I thought I'd bring it up...

Did you know that you have a much greater chance of getting Shinies if you breed two Pokemon from different regions? Apparently your chances of getting a Shiny quadruple, to around 1/2000.

Masuda mentioned it on his blog, and it was confirmed by the Smogon RNG crazies.

Sounds about right.
/conspiracy theory capON
What with GS being the first games to have Shiny Pokemon, bringing together two regions can create AWESOME indeed.

Kletian said:
So all the Pokemon hype has gotten me into playing Diamond again. I need some help in rounding out my team, keeping in mind that I'm going to just be playing casually (i.e. no EV training etc) with friends and our only rule will be no Legendaries.

Drapion
Gliscor
Garchomp
??? (Dusknoir?)
??? (Drifloon - Baton Pass +critchance to Drapion)?
???

I'm thinking I need something with special attacks, something with high defenses and water/grass/ice/electric moves to round it out but I'm not sure what I want to use. Help? :D

"Crithax" Drapion is basically a tie for my favorite this gen with Lickilicky. With Scope Lens he can basically have 3-4 crit-heavy moves and as much type coverage as Electivire. Baton passing further critboost sounds a bit risky, but Drifblim can be a good tank in some matchups. I guess the thing with Drifblim is to stockpile though.

Dusknoir is a better (although I guess competitively more regular) choice. You can give him similar punch coverage to Drapion, but the true usefulness of Dusknoir comes from breeding in Pain Split, which allows you to stall for quite a long time. I'd choose him or Drifblim, but not both, probably.

Gliscor and Garchomp is a bit of type repetition; you can make it work but keep in mind that they are both severely vulnerable to ice.

Ravidrath said:

Did you know that you have a much greater chance of getting Shinies if you breed two Pokemon from different regions? Apparently your chances of getting a Shiny quadruple, to around 1/2000.

Hrm. Regions as in Hoenn/Kanto/etc or Japan/USA/etc?

Ravidrath

Crazymoogle said:
Hrm. Regions as in Hoenn/Kanto/etc or Japan/USA/etc?

Just edited it above, after reading Shinogu's response.

This is for two Pokemon from different language carts, not regions in Pokeworld. So Japan/USA/Germany/Etc.

I... might actually be crazy enough to try this? I'd really like a Shiny Spore/Swipe Breloom, so I'm going to make some eggs and hatch one on my Japanese cart and trade it over and breed 'em like crazy.

Ravidrath said:
Just edited it above, after reading Shinogu's response.

This is for two Pokemon from different language carts, not regions in Pokeworld.

Ah so. Still, this idea encourages bringing different cultures (or international game carts :3) together, which is somethin' cool.

Wonder if they count a Pokemon with katakana for its name and hiragana for the trainer name as Japanese even though it was ported in Pal Park. Had traded Japanese Pikachus and a Japanese Gardevoir over from my Japanese to American Pokemon Emerald games.

Kletian

And do Pokemon coming over from the GTS count in that regards? If that's the case I got a good shot at a Shiny Gyarados :D

And thanks for the help Moogle, what would you suggest for the other two spots then (type/move/rolewise, not so much actual pokemon)

larvi

Ravidrath said:

Did you know that you have a much greater chance of getting Shinies if you breed two Pokemon from different languages/regions? Apparently your chances of getting a Shiny quadruple, to around 1/2000.

So if you breed a Pokemon from a Japanese cart with a Pokemon from an English cart, your chances go up.

Also, apparently Pokemon from other languages/regions gain an additional 10% bonus exp.

Edit: Edited for clarity... by region I mean region on earth, not region in PokeWorld.

Interesting, any idea if it's only for D/P/Pt pokemon or would pokemon from other region GBA carts that you imported via pal park work as well?

Ravidrath

Kletian said:
And do Pokemon coming over from the GTS count in that regards? If that's the case I got a good shot at a Shiny Gyarados :D

Yes. According to Masuda's blog post, that's sort of the whole point - incentivizing people to use GTS and trade with people all over the world.

However, you can get a German Magikarp from the language-collecting dude East of the Survival Area if you trade him a Finneon. That should work, too.

larvi said:
Interesting, any idea if it's only for D/P/Pt pokemon or would pokemon from other region GBA carts that you imported via pal park work as well?

Can't say for certain, but it should... I used PokeSav to check out the data for one of the Pokemon I imported from a Japanese GBA cart, and it does have the language flag set to JPN. I would imagine that's the field that is checked to determine if the Pokemon are from the same region or not.

Eteric Rice

So I was doing the thing where the guy spins a coin and you have to pick a hand. When I finally won, I'm pretty sure I saw him say, "A winner is you!" :lol

Ravidrath said:
Yes. According to Masuda's blog post, that's sort of the whole point - incentivizing people to use GTS and trade with people all over the world.

However, you can get a German Magikarp from the language-collecting dude East of the Survival Area if you trade him a Finneon. That should work, too.

Hmm. Well, if you have any spares, trade me something. ;) Foreign Lickitung would be awesome. 1/2000 is enough for me to consider starting egg farming again. (It will help once Pokemon Ranch gets patched...)

Kletian said:
And thanks for the help Moogle, what would you suggest for the other two spots then (type/move/rolewise, not so much actual pokemon)

Well the general rule is to try and avoid a lot of identical types; for example Gliscor/Garchomp are both ground types with 4x ice vulnerability, so you have to be careful (Less go with Garchomp, who I believe is categorized as Uber these days?)

DRAPION (Poison/Dark) - mid speed, move variety (fire/ice/thunderfang options)
GLISCOR (Ground/Flying) - frustrate ground users and dodge earthquake attacks
GARCHOMP (Ground/Dragon) - sheer damage potential
DUSKNOIR (Ghost) - slow, pain split, move variety (fire/ice/thunder punch options)

Some options:
MILOTIC (Water) The classic "bulky water". She's tough to train but can be a defensive tank because she can use Recover, Aqua Ring, and her ability increases defense 50% when hit with a status effect. Plus you can use Surf and Ice Beam, the latter which you can use against anyone else with ground or dragon types. And Hypnosis, if you like sleep attacks.

LUDICOLO (Grass/Water) The irritating water type, because its main weakness is poison. It can use Grass Knot/Surf with STAB advantage, as well as ice beam, rain dance (increases speed!) and Toxic (for hurting other walls.)

SKARMORY (Steel/Flying) Not really sure you need another flyer, but Skarmory is definitely a wall. Use stealth rock, then whirlwind to start messing up your enemy's pokemon order. Roost heals at the tempory cost of flying type.

MAGNEZONE (Steel/Electric) Kind of a specialty pokemon. The magnet pull ability prevents an opponent of steel type from switching out while Magnezone is in play. Obviously uses thunderbolt, and you can use magnet rise to avoid earthquake, substitute to dodge status effects, or my favorite, Explosion, to just sneak attack your opponent's favorite non-ghost pokemon. :lol

HERACROSS (Bug/Fighting) An all out combat pokemon that would fit well in your lineup. Megahorn and Close combat both have STAB and do just ridiculous damage (particularly with Choice Scarf) and then you can pack-in Night Slash and Stone Edge to hurt possible counters badly.

Eteric Rice said:
So I was doing the thing where the guy spins a coin and you have to pick a hand. When I finally won, I'm pretty sure I saw him say, "A winner is you!" :lol

He definitely said it, because that was my reaction as well. XD

Top Bottom