• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Hero

I would kill for a Shiny Charizard. Kill.

Also, I just started playing again and my first Charizard has Sunny Day and Solar Beam. I forget why he has this but is that supposed to be a partial good moveset for him? I think the other moves were Flamethrower and Dragon Claw.

joetachi

Crazymoogle said:
I just don't see how to keep the chain going. Even if I always hit the 4 spots as indicated on the map, every time I get to around 5, it's a different pokemon. That, and when starting the chain, the white specked grass is almost always a really generic pokemon too. *shrug*
Well if you lok really close there are diferences in the grass shaking you have to allways chose the one that shakes the same. Not just the white specked ones have diferences and trust your gut when your trying to tell the difference with the green grasses.With this tip at least you could reach a 15 pokemon chain

Hero said:
I would kill for a Shiny Charizard. Kill.

Also, I just started playing again and my first Charizard has Sunny Day and Solar Beam. I forget why he has this but is that supposed to be a partial good moveset for him? I think the other moves were Flamethrower and Dragon Claw.
It's one of the standard sets for Charizard except the inclusion of Dragon Claw.

on the chaining topic...

when i chain, i stock up on max repels. I also have some high-level pokes with me, so i can take to the wilds with one hit. and, i usually use the step counter app on the bottom screen.

Once i hit a big patch of grass i like (to the right of the resort is a good place), I go into the grass, use a max repel, zero out my step counter, then use the pokeradar (registered to Y). If there are some good patches about 4-5 steps away, then i go for those. If its a pokemon that i want, i defeat it, and keep looking for it. If not, then i Run, go until my step counter reaches 50 steps total, then use the radar again.

You get 250 steps out of a max repel. If done right, you can use your radar 5 times. Not a big deal, though, as I usually get 100+ max repels when i know i will be chaining for a while.

as mentioned before, there are different patches. One of them is the patch that moves, but doesnt flash. You can still do chaining on those, but it is much harder, and not worth it.

biggyfries said:
on the chaining topic...

when i chain, i stock up on max repels. I also have some high-level pokes with me, so i can take to the wilds with one hit. and, i usually use the step counter app on the bottom screen.

Once i hit a big patch of grass i like (to the right of the resort is a good place), I go into the grass, use a max repel, zero out my step counter, then use the pokeradar (registered to Y). If there are some good patches about 4-5 steps away, then i go for those. If its a pokemon that i want, i defeat it, and keep looking for it. If not, then i Run, go until my step counter reaches 50 steps total, then use the radar again.

You get 250 steps out of a max repel. If done right, you can use your radar 5 times. Not a big deal, though, as I usually get 100+ max repels when i know i will be chaining for a while.

as mentioned before, there are different patches. One of them is the patch that moves, but doesnt flash. You can still do chaining on those, but it is much harder, and not worth it.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but mid-chain, you still have to look for a particular type of grass, right? I'm thinking the only thing that could be tripping me up is that I might be hitting a "4" spot, but the grass isn't white flecked, so instead of Marill I hit something stupid like Staravia. (I'd say half the time it continues the chain though...)

It definitely ends the chain if you get a different pokemon. Thanks to the guide I did clue in on the repels - I think way back in the day I thought that only worked when you were underleveled. I also didn't know you could ignore it all and restart the radar.

FWIW, I did hit a 15 chain on Marill last night, but I guess I must have hit a grass with more flecks because a rare Abra encounter ruined it? I suppose the lesson is to restart the radar if you're not absolutely sure?

Also, somebody was saying Super Repel was much more economical?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sixfortyfive said:
I thought Fire Red and Leaf Green were great. They deliviered exactly what they promised (old Pokemon games with new Pokemon mechanics).

And I have no idea why everybody thinks that a Gold/Silver remake is not only in the cards, but inevitable.
Gold/Silver remakes are inevitable simply because its too good of an oppurtunity for Gamefreak/Nintendo to skip.

Crazymoogle said:
The old games are pretty literal color versions of the original stuff, whereas the jump to pseudo-3D really helped give the DS games a new feel to them. I too hope that a silver/gold remake is not quite so literal (please, even another 50 pokemon would be great. All Evos. Maybe even...gasp...Kangaskhan/Pinsir evos?!) but it will definitely be interesting to play again using the new style.

Nah, I don't think new Pokemon are needed. It just needs to be more than "Gold/Silver with better graphics". Actually having a brand new adventure set in Johto might be best, kinda like how Gold/Silver handled Kanto in the first place -- same region, same progress but X years in the future and a new adventure. Of course it would also be preferrable if they changed up alot of the series' "traditions" that make Pokemon's single player repetitive but I guess that is too much to ask from a remake/revision.

grandjedi6 said:
Nah, I don't think new Pokemon are needed. It just needs to be more than "Gold/Silver with better graphics". Actually having a brand new adventure set in Johto might be best, kinda like how Gold/Silver handled Kanto in the first place -- same region, same progress but X years in the future and a new adventure. Of course it would also be preferrable if they changed up alot of the series' "traditions" that make Pokemon's single player repetitive but I guess that is too much to ask from a remake/revision.

I think it's needed precisely because of what D/P/Pt has given us already. FR/LG didn't have new pokemon, but they did make available ones we otherwise didn't have access to. D/P/Pt has already given us access to everything thanks to the GBA carts, and more besides (rotoms, giratina origin, shaymin sky, etc.) For a remake to work as well as it could (and not simply be an expansion pack game, I think we need, bare minimum, to see a few evos or something. They don't need to go all out, but fleshing out the existing lineup a bit would help.

NeoForte

Crazymoogle said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but mid-chain, you still have to look for a particular type of grass, right? I'm thinking the only thing that could be tripping me up is that I might be hitting a "4" spot, but the grass isn't white flecked, so instead of Marill I hit something stupid like Staravia. (I'd say half the time it continues the chain though...)

It definitely ends the chain if you get a different pokemon. Thanks to the guide I did clue in on the repels - I think way back in the day I thought that only worked when you were underleveled. I also didn't know you could ignore it all and restart the radar.

FWIW, I did hit a 15 chain on Marill last night, but I guess I must have hit a grass with more flecks because a rare Abra encounter ruined it? I suppose the lesson is to restart the radar if you're not absolutely sure?

Chains are fairly simple to continue and yes Max (or any kinda of repel) is a must for this. I personally choose max cause it lasts the longest. Safe rule set for chaining is reset the radar and keep doing that until you find grass pattern that you feel safe in. You'll know when it's a shiny speck of grass cause you'll see diamond sparkles instead of the white leaves you see. Though sometimes you will get unlucky and the right conditions for a chain to continue will be ruined by a random break from a pokemon you didn't want. I've had this happen so many times. Gets annoying but oh well :/

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Crazymoogle said:
I think it's needed precisely because of what D/P/Pt has given us already. FR/LG didn't have new pokemon, but they did make available ones we otherwise didn't have access to. D/P/Pt has already given us access to everything thanks to the GBA carts, and more besides (rotoms, giratina origin, shaymin sky, etc.) For a remake to work as well as it could (and not simply be an expansion pack game, I think we need, bare minimum, to see a few evos or something. They don't need to go all out, but fleshing out the existing lineup a bit would help.
Yeah, pretty much this. I think visiting old regions with either new quests or a significant number of new Pokemon and other additions would be cool, but 2 straightforward remakes in the same number of Pokemon generations sets a trend that's not really appealing even to the consumer whore in me.

You can catch, like, everything in Sinnoh sans starters and (some) legendaries, so there's no pressing need for another game like there was in the shift from GSC to RS. It's like they tried to make D/P/Pt as all-encompassing as possible, even with the trade-forward feature for 3rd gen games.

Crazymoogle said:

Correct, you need to look for a certain flash, and about the same distance away, every time. I usually go for the brighter flashes, about 3-5 away from me. then from there, i look for the same type of flash, and hopefully the same distance.

see, you're getting better at it. :D

Found a Smogon link to help you out, if you still need it.

Forkball

While I love G/S/C I don't see why everyone is clamoring for remakes. A lot of the ideas that were implemented in G/S/C yet ignored in R/S/E made it's way back into D/P/Pt. If they wanted to remake the games, I think they would have done them in the GBA era. They went out of their way to include all the Johto Pokemon into Generation III (starters in Emerald, the newly added Sevii Islands with Johto Pokemon in FR/LG). There's really nothing to give us with a G/S/C remake except for an easier way to get Lugia and Ho-Oh. Nintendo has nothing to gain from it either unless their only goal is to make more money and we all know that-

Oh.

Forkball said:
While I love G/S/C I don't see why everyone is clamoring for remakes. A lot of the ideas that were implemented in G/S/C yet ignored in R/S/E made it's way back into D/P/Pt. If they wanted to remake the games, I think they would have done them in the GBA era. They went out of their way to include all the Johto Pokemon into Generation III (starters in Emerald, the newly added Sevii Islands with Johto Pokemon in FR/LG). There's really nothing to give us with a G/S/C remake except for an easier way to get Lugia and Ho-Oh. Nintendo has nothing to gain from it either unless their only goal is to make more money and we all know that-

Oh.

The money argument doesn't wash by itself on the DS; the main series has never gone strictly cash in, and the closest it has ever been is the 3rd game per gen. A new title means new elements so they can sell another 4m+ copies per region, and a simple remake won't cut it, as you initially argue.

If they aren't willing to add new pokemon to GSC, I wouldn't be surprised for GameFreak to go on a 2-3 year hiatus from pokemon press coverage, leaving us with endless mystery dungeon games in the meantime.

Forkball said:

Oh.

I for one like to have a G/S/C remake 'cuz I miss the ability to play through two regions in a single game. I like the feeling of being able to tackle two pokemon leagues.

Zilch

Banned
Do you think that if they do remake G/S that they'd still include Kanto in it? I mean, it'd be the second time within half a dozen years that they would've remade it.

Zilch said:
Do you think that if they do remake G/S that they'd still include Kanto in it? I mean, it'd be the second time within half a dozen years that they would've remade it.

Why not? It hasn't been done in 3D, and they have all the assets ready to go. Production time for it would be relatively cheap.

Zilch said:
The original has it so why won't the remake?

Ravidrath

I think the G/S remakes are likely.

The fact that the starters are Pichu are featured in the new movie seem like the most telling signs. On top of that, there seems to be an awful lot of conversation about Johto in Platinum that wasn't there before. Jasmine has always made an appearance in Sunyshore City, too, which initially seemed sort of out-of-place in D/P, but seems to make more sense in the context of these rumors.

My not-so-secret hope is that the G/S remakes are actually DSiWare, as a sort of grand trojan horse to inculcate the youth into the newfound era of digital distribution.

So I'm about to tackle Victory Road and the Pokemon League. Here's the thing, I still only have 5 guys on my team:

Torterra
Luxray
Staraptor
Gyarados
Golem

What're your guys' suggestions on a 6th to round out my team? Just a type suggestion is great enough.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
So I'm about to tackle Victory Road and the Pokemon League. Here's the thing, I still only have 5 guys on my team:

Torterra
Luxray
Staraptor
Gyarados
Golem

What're your guys' suggestions on a 6th to round out my team? Just a type suggestion is great enough.

Rather than suggesting a type, I'll suggest a role. I suggest you get a special sweeper as most of the PKMN in your team are physical-based. A physical tank can easily wall your team. Though if you have tons of items or your PKMN are in high levels, you can still breeze through the elite 4.

shykyoichi said:
Rather than suggesting a type, I'll suggest a role. I suggest you get a special sweeper as most of the PKMN in your team are physical-based. A physical tank can easily wall your team. Though if you have tons of items or your PKMN are in high levels, you can still breeze through the elite 4.

Yeah, right now I'm just concerned with completing the Elite 4 bit before I work out a competitive team against real-life people.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Yeah, right now I'm just concerned with completing the Elite 4 bit before I work out a competitive team against real-life people.
Still, boltbeam will easily demolish your team. Many elite 4 PKMN has an electric attack. Forgot about ice though.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

Torterra
Luxray
Staraptor
Gyarados
Golem

Medicham or Weavile

My addiction is now full swing. :( Started carrying over pokemon from Pearl again and restarting the ditto factory. I just need to get that event Regigigas so I can go hunt down the 3 regi's.

Penguin

Crazymoogle said:
My addiction is now full swing. :( Started carrying over pokemon from Pearl again and restarting the ditto factory. I just need to get that event Regigigas so I can go hunt down the 3 regi's.

Do you have any spare Dittos?
I haven't come across any yet.

Penguin said:
Do you have any spare Dittos?
I haven't come across any yet.

Not yet. I'm farming the Pokemon house though, and I'll be doing some LG transfers at some point (so tedious, I need to borrow a DSlite for that.) so hopefully some will pop up.

yes! finally got the main pokedex filled. Now, i can focus on my team, and maybe the legendaries. I might even transfer regigigigigigas over to get the 3 regi's.

D-Pad

Had a horrible experience when I was purchasing this game at Target yesterday. It was partially my fault for not checking the damn thing before I left the store, but I got in the car and noticed the box wasn't shrink wrapped. I opened it up, and there was no game inside. Went back, tried to exchange it, and hur, hur, UH-OH! Security checks, lying employees trying to save face, hours waiting... Eventually they let me exchange. Needless to say, I will be carefully examining my purchses from now on. 'Specially when it's being handled by THAT employee.

Anyway -- About to face the second gym leader.
Prinpup
Geodude
Chattot or Hoothoot -- Chattot is giving me problems, so I might have to use Hoothoot for that grass gym.

Also recieved FFIV DS in the mail, but I can't pull myself away from Platinum long enugh. I wish I had another DS.

RE Gold / Silver remakes -- Just an opinion, but with Club Nintendo rolling ahead, I don't see why Nintendo can't release the remakes on GBA cartridges. You know, unless they were really greedy and really wanted to catch some serious Pokebucks.

D-Pad said:
Prinpup
Geodude
Chattot or Hoothoot -- Chattot is giving me problems, so I might have to use Hoothoot for that grass gym.

Hoothoot has more potential anyway since it can evo to Noctowl. Chattot is more of a special-use pokemon. Geodude should become more useful if you can get him to Graveller since then he's 1 trade away from Golem.

D-Pad

Yeah, Chattot just went to the PC. She has dis-obeyed me far too many times and I can see her causing problems in the gym. Just wanted to try something a bit different this time around.

Jiggy

Anyone actually beaten Battle Factory yet? I can't help feeling like it would be so much more plausible if it were 4-on-4, but as-is I think I've poured an average of three hours per day into this thing and my streaks are still 39 for Level 50 and 31 for Open Level. 49's a long way away in both cases. :(

Jiggy said:
Anyone actually beaten Battle Factory yet? I can't help feeling like it would be so much more plausible if it were 4-on-4, but as-is I think I've poured an average of three hours per day into this thing and my streaks are still 39 for Level 50 and 31 for Open Level. 49's a long way away in both cases. :(
I haven't. I kept on being Fissure'd and DT'd and everything haxorz in the PKMN metagame. Weird. It's as if the game hates me.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have an Electrizer that they would be willing to trade me for something?

Akim

Banned
Could anyone here help me evolve my Machoke?

edit: maybe my haunter too?

Also: If I can't get anyone to help me evolve them is there any drawback?

Jiggy

http://www.filb.de/games/nds/pt/box

Just remembered to check this site recently. In Diamond/Pearl they gave you in-game codes to unlock new wallpapers for your boxes, and it looks like they're doing it again for Platinum--with different new wallpapers this time. They released one a week in D/P days until all eight were revealed; so far with Platinum they've released four and the next one's coming in two days. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

Akim said:
Could anyone here help me evolve my Machoke?

edit: maybe my haunter too?

Also: If I can't get anyone to help me evolve them is there any drawback?
Drawback: Smaller movepool and weaker base stats.

vhfive

Teknoman said:
Tomorrow is wi-fi mystery gift day, dont forget.
yes i happy that events are starting to go wi-fi now because i live nowhere near a toys-r-us (think 1 hour) so i have none of the event pokemon.

Shiggie

Finally got my DSi friday and been playing platinum today an just got my palpad.

Name is still Shiggie and my new friend code is 0431-4625-7594.

Welp, I have a small stockpile of ditto now thanks to the Pokemansion. I guess I'll give those away when I can be reliably home. :/

Can't wait for the rotom key...always wanted to make that bugger useful.

Penguin

Crazymoogle said:
Welp, I have a small stockpile of ditto now thanks to the Pokemansion. I guess I'll give those away when I can be reliably home. :/

Can't wait for the rotom key...always wanted to make that bugger useful.

Haha I could use a ditto when you start giving them out. If you don't mind.

Top Bottom