• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date

Ravidrath

Not sure why, but I'm suddenly pretty excited for this. I wasn't originally planning on picking it up tomorrow, but probably will now.

Captain N

How many people plan on going and getting it first thing in the morning? I am also tempted to pick up the guide book.

xSL4INx

Been playing mostly all day, I don't like some of the dialogue they excluded, but overall, I'm glad to finally understand what everyone is saying (I imported the JP copy back in September when it came out).

I am also grabbing the guide book since it includes a thorough walkthrough for the game along with all the extra stuff, and a full Pokedex, to my understanding, and 624 pages is alot! The Pokemon Perfect Platinum guide from Japan is 927 pages.

mattso

Captain N said:
How many people plan on going and getting it first thing in the morning? I am also tempted to pick up the guide book.
Well.. first thing in the early afternoon for me but basically the first chance I get.

If there's a guide around the store I might take a look at it.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Why on earth is there not a Pokedex app for the iPhone?

Captain N

Ravidrath said:
So people don't get sued into oblivion by Nintendo?

No kidding..I do think Nintendo needs to bring one out as wiiware so you can check it on your Wii as your playing on the DS.

I've got a few quick questions

Of the three Pokemon at the start of the game..which is best to pick?

I find myself just catching the first of any kind that I see..is this always best or will I know which ones to catch and which ones to leave behind?

mattso

Captain N said:
No kidding..I do think Nintendo needs to bring one out as wiiware so you can check it on your Wii as your playing on the DS.

I find myself just catching the first of any kind that I see..is this always best or will I know which ones to catch and which ones to leave behind?
theyre all pretty balanced. chimchar is the best at attacking, both on the physical/special side

turtwig will be able to dish out and take physical hits very well

piplup the same but moreso on the special side

chimchar is probably the best bet since the general lack of strong fire pokemon you have access to throughout the main game

mattso

Teknoman said:
I just want a Wiiware or DSware pokemon transfer channel/app.
I held onto my ds with a cracked hinge after I bought a new one specifically so I could trade with myself when this came out

A dedicated transfer app would be awesome though

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Captain N said:

Fire Types are hella rare as usual, so Chimchar is a good choice, however being a better version of Torchic hurts its uniqueness.

Piplup has a terrible early movepool, but ends up being a wonderful pokemon eventually.

Turtwig is pretty good and pretty unique for a grass type.

My order is usually Chimchar>Turtwig>Piplup, but considering how easy it is to get the other two with all this online nonsense, it really doesn't matter.

Delio

Captain N said:

Reguarding the cacthing stuff. Your lucky since the first thing you run into would probably be a Starly. Probably the strongest region bird of any pokemon game once it evolves fully. Other than that you will tell what works for you and what doesnt. Also i recommend Chimchar it did the best for me during Pearl.

Blu_LED said:
Can someone please trade me a clones version of the Toys R Us Regigigas? I can't make it to the store today or tomorrow, and I really want this to let me do that special thing in Platinum.

How does this differ from me just going to the store, other then not getting a Wondercard? Can I still do the special thing it lets my do in Platinum?
New page. Nobody has an extra one, or can at least answer the questions?

mattso

Blu_LED said:
Pokemon Ranch kinda says hi?
I believe ranch will not let you transfer from one cart to another or even from one save to another on the same cart so... not very useful at all

Ravidrath

Blu_LED said:
New page. Nobody has an extra one, or can at least answer the questions?

I can give you a Regigigas later... probably tomorrow.

It'll be different in the sense that you can't pick your own nature, etc.

mattso said:
I believe ranch will not let you transfer from one cart to another or even from one save to another on the same cart so... not very useful at all
Yeah, you can only transfer the Pokemon back onto the cart your transferred them from.

I totally agree, we need some nice, slick WiiWare channel thats just filled with extra boxes and maybe a Pokedex. I'm dreading having to catch random Bidoofs just to trade my guys over from Diamond to Platinum.

mattso

Ravidrath said:

if it wouldn't be too much could I get one as well sometime tomorrow?

Ravidrath said:

I really could care less at this point. I just need one.

PM me tomorrow when your ready.

Firestorm

Chimchar is the best starter. Turtwig is decent and Piplup I'd say is the worst. I remember Torterra being very useful in the Elite 4 with Earthquake + some grass attack + nasty plot + leech seed or synthesis. Empoleon I just remember using as a wall as I healed my other guys.

vhfive

Firestorm said:
Chimchar is the best starter. Turtwig is decent and Piplup I'd say is the worst. I remember Torterra being very useful in the Elite 4 with Earthquake + some grass attack + nasty plot + leech seed or synthesis. Empoleon I just remember using as a wall as I healed my other guys.
i found empoleon to be a wonderful hm slave but yea it doesn't matter who it is i always end up ditching my starting pokemon before the elite 4

Firestorm

vhfive said:
i found empoleon to be a wonderful hm slave but yea it doesn't matter who it is i always end up ditching my starting pokemon before the elite 4
I've always used all three starters in my in-game party =)
Red Team: Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Raichu, Dragonite, Butterfree
Gold Team: Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Meganium, Scizor, Umbreon, Togetic
Skipped R/S/E
Pearl Team: Infernape, Empoleon, Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Bibarel (HM Slave)
"Competitive" Pearl Team: Charizard, Butterfree, Dragonite, Umbreon, Raichu, Milotic

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Firestorm said:
I've always used all three starters in my in-game party =)
Red Team: Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Raichu, Dragonite, Butterfree
Gold Team: Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Meganium, Scizor, Umbreon, Togetic
Skipped R/S/E
Pearl Team: Infernape, Empoleon, Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Bibarel (HM Slave)
"Competitive" Pearl Team: Charizard, Butterfree, Dragonite, Umbreon, Raichu, Milotic
what

mattso

I'm going through my diamond now and I've already found a bunch of pokes I want to use from the start

probably going to pick chimchar and plan on transferring:
elekid
pichu
tyrogue
bulbasaur
cubone
and the last slot will probably be a squirtle egg

I figure I want at least 2 pokes that will always listen to me...

still debating if I want both elekid and pichu but raichu was always one of my faves and I never used one in diamond

decisions decisions decisions...

Jiggy

I can never stick to a fixed team of six and just rotate between twenty-five or so Pokemon. Probably makes me a bit of a weaker player than just about any truly serious player, though, since my perpetually-in-flux setups won't allow me to perfect a given team.

Edit: That and I have a tendency to over-panic about how a battle is going, as you'll probably see in that Firestorm match log where there were, what, maybe three times within just the first ten turns that I was dead convinced he'd already won the entire match.

Firestorm said:
Q: Explain Stealth Rock
A: [laughs]
Gotta nerf those Fire- and Bug-types.
At least it helps check Gyarados and Salamence, though.

Jiggy

I know I said this to Firestorm once in IRC, but I wish GameFreak would be a little more open about actually changing base stats of pre-established Pokemon instead of just tweaking moves and abilities.

If reducing stats would be an issue, then at least buff some underused stuff. It's clear that they knew a lot of Pokemon needed some boosts to see any use since there were so, so many evolutions that took relative losers like Sneasel, Yanma, Togetic, Misdreavus, and Murkrow several steps higher than where they'd been. (Though why'd they do all that while neglecting even weaker things like Luvdisc and Delibird, I don't know.)

But for Pokemon who already have three forms or run on stone evolutions, they can't or won't do add further evolutions, which leads to too many things that'll probably forever be underused. Charizard, Typhlosion, Ninetales, Raichu, and so many others...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
53k5na.jpg

Apparently Pokemon Platinum is frequently bought together with Pokemon Platinum

nubbe

grandjedi6 said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/53k5na.jpg

Apparently Pokemon Platinum is frequently bought together with Pokemon Platinum
I guess if one has kids and don't want them to fight eachother

Balb

Captain N said:
I would imagine it isn't worth joining a tournament if your Pokemon aren't 100?

For online battles it auto levels your pokemon to level 100 (or 50 if you choose).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I forgot that this was coming out today. I might go out and get it soon but I'm still kind of on Pokemon burnout from my recent unfinished run through Fire Red. (I soft-reseted on Mewtwo at least 500 times trying to get one with good enough speed to outrun Darkrai, with no success. ò_ó )

Balb said:
So who's going to start the tournament?
Give it a few weeks at least so that people have time to get through the singleplayer.

RaidenZR

So, I just came back from Best Buy with a copy of the game and the guide... which is 624 pages! It's like I went in and bought an encyclopedia! Girl at the register didn't know whether to be shocked or sad for me. Hahaha.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
mjc said:
Is it possible to catch Squirtle, Bulbasaur, or Charmander in this game?
No, I don't think so. Starter Pokemon from previous versions can't be caught. They'll be easy enough to trade from someone else though if you don't have Fire Red or Leaf Green.

Legendary Pokemon from previous versions couldn't be caught in Diamond/Pearl, but some of them have been added to Platinum: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and the Regi trio from Ruby/Sapphire.

Top Bottom