• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
EzLink said:
Fuck guys, I need some help. I just got the Member's Card but the Inn in Canalave still won't open. Yes, I actually obtained the item in the game through the delivery man in the PokeMart, but nothing is different when I try to go in. What am I missing here?

Did you get Cresselia yet? I believe you need the wing item from after that event.

Sonos

Banned
OMG Aero said:
The problem is that when they make a console Pokemon game they just won't make a game like the handheld ones.
I think one of the devs said in an interview that they won't make a proper Pokemon game on a console because the point of the games is that you take the game out and trade with people in real life and make friends.

Then why did they even bother with the GTS? rhetorical question I love the GTS for a number of reasons.

I dont really care if Poke ever goes console I like it just how it is. In fact, I'm one of the few who dont really care for huge gameplay updates. It's simplicity and cutesy graphics keep me a comin'.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Looking for some stunky glameow and trapinch action. Have a good amount to trade in return, so name your price.

DO NOT IGNORE THIS POST

edit: ignore this post

Ondore

Sonos said:
Then why did they even bother with the GTS?

Because MH2:F hadn't been released when Diamond and Pearl launched.

Or, they wanted it to be the next killer app for Nintendo WFC and wanted to encourage cross-territory trading.

Sonos

Banned
Ondore said:
Because MH2:F hadn't been released when Diamond and Pearl launched.

Or, they wanted it to be the next killer app for Nintendo WFC and wanted to encourage cross-territory trading.

It was rhetorical. They released GTS because it is awesome.

I am having a heck of a time getting a Calm natured Feebas going :| I'm up to about 30 eggs ;_;

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
SFGamer said:
Anybody know were I can fine a Water Stone?
You can find one underground in less than ten minutes. No lie.

Ondore

There's also one hidden in a side room of the Solaceon Ruins and another one on Route 213 if you haven't exhausted them yet.

OMG Aero

SFGamer said:
Serebii says it is very rare, but if you say 10 mins I will try
That is until you beat the Pokemon League/get the national dex. After doing one of them (I can't remember which) items become a lot more common in the underground.

Chorazin

Rainstadt said:
I'm trying to put together a team to finally get me through the Elite Four and I've put a Rotom up on the roster. The only issue is that I want to make it into a Rotom-F so it gets blizzard. This puts me in a position to levitate over the quakes, smack Gallade with ghost attacks and just generally be an annoyance with Electric attacks.

The only issue is that I had the misfortune of purchasing the game far after the secret key was accessible. I believe that is a way to get the key from a friend, but I'm not 100% on this. Am I totally screwed?

You can hack it in with a Game Action Replay, AFAIK. I actually need to find mine and do that myself since I also missed the key. :(

r.pad

Grace Beck interview

Here's an interview I did with Grace Beck. She never played in a Pokemon tournament before and did well in the national championships. She made it all the way to the semis of the world championships (her second tournament!). Cool girl and a nice story.

Tarazet

I picked this up about a month ago. At least I think it was a month ago, but I just picked it up and before I knew it I had played 60 hours. I spent all evening trying to get the three lake Pokemon. I did it, but between them they used up 50 Dusk Balls. I'm wondering whether it's worth the frustration of trying to get Dialga and Palkia tonight.

Tarazet

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
They each have a catch rate of 30, so for legendaries they're extremely easy to catch. I used one Ultra Ball apiece on each of them.

I guess I'll go for it. Going for the two Orbs I need to capture them now..

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, Dialga & Palkia are very easy to catch as far as legendaries go.

Save your Master Ball for Cresselia.

Smogon has a pretty good article with tips for catching legendaries. If you don't care about having particularly good stats for competitive play, then you can ignore the stuff about Syncrhonizers and One-under guys. It's also specific to Diamond/Pearl, so the information about Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina is a little different.

OMG Aero

Yeah, Dialga and Palkia are so easy I didn't need to inflict a status condition on Palkia and still got it with my first ball in Pearl. They actually have the same catch rate as Murkrow and Chansey which is weird when you consider that every other legendary in DPP is 10 times harder to catch.

Tarazet

OMG Aero said:
Yeah, Dialga and Palkia are so easy I didn't need to inflict a status condition on Palkia and still got it with my first ball in Pearl. They actually have the same catch rate as Murkrow and Chansey which is weird when you consider that every other legendary in DPP is 10 times harder to catch.

You're right. I threw one quick ball and two ultra balls and easily caught them both at full HP. Now I just need to evolve my Remoraid, catch a Feebas, and do the thing to catch a Rotom. Then I'm all set to get the National Dex and hit the real meat of the game.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, Dialga & Palkia are very easy to catch as far as legendaries go.

Save your Master Ball for Cresselia.

Smogon has a pretty good article with tips for catching legendaries. If you don't care about having particularly good stats for competitive play, then you can ignore the stuff about Syncrhonizers and One-under guys. It's also specific to Diamond/Pearl, so the information about Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina is a little different.

That's the problem with Giratina though. He has a rate of IIRC, 10, which makes him a fair bit more difficult to capture at that point in the game then it was to catch Dialga and Palkia in Diamond/Pearl.

Sixfortyfive

Giratina's catch rate is 3, which does make him annoying to catch in the middle of the campaign, but I'm pretty sure that you can just defeat him and then catch him in the Turnback Cave later.

Tarazet

Wow, I got lucky. Only took me an hour to steal a Lucky Egg from a Chansey in the Trophy Garden. Some people on forums are saying they've been trying for months with no success. I started the battle with a KO'd Yanma (for the Compound Eye ability) and a Rotom that I had taught Trick from the Move Tutor on Route 212.

Matchew

Can someone help please!!! How can you make money in this game fast. I tried to beat the elite4 and failed. Now I need some more money to buy some items.

Tarazet

SFGamer said:
Can someone help please!!! How can you make money in this game fast. I tried to beat the elite4 and failed. Now I need some more money to buy some items.

1. Get the Amulet Coin.
2. Use the Vs. Seeker on the old couple near the Pokemon Mansion.

24K monies per fight.

Kirk

I'm looking for some help here.

I'm about to go up against the Elite 4, and I want to get Sunny Day for my Houndoom. There's supposed to be someone who will trade shards for TMs on Route 212, but when I go there, all I find is a move tutor. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Tarazet

I'm looking for some help here.

I'm about to go up against the Elite 4, and I want to get Sunny Day for my Houndoom. There's supposed to be someone who will trade shards for TMs on Route 212, but when I go there, all I find is a move tutor. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

It's on the route itself I think.

Kirk

sonarrat said:
It's on the route itself I think.

You mean there's a person standing there outside who will do it? I haven't been able to find such a person yet. I was reading that there's a person who trades shards for TMs related to weather, Rain Dance, Sunny Day, etc.

Ondore

The TM guy was in Diamond and Pearl, but they replaced him with the move tutor for Platinum.

There's a Sunny Day TM on Route 212 near the Mansion if you haven't already picked it up.

Kirk

Ondore said:
The TM guy was in Diamond and Pearl, but they replaced him with the move tutor for Platinum.

There's a Sunny Day TM on Route 212 near the Mansion if you haven't already picked it up.

Damn, I figured that might be the case. I've already used it, and according to Bulbapedia, there's no other way to get it...not even by breeding!

I guess my only hope is to find someone to trade it to me?

Tarazet

Kirk said:
Damn, I figured that might be the case. I've already used it, and according to Bulbapedia, there's no other way to get it...not even by breeding!

I guess my only hope is to find someone to trade it to me?

You can get anything by breeding.. as long as the male has the move and the baby is able to use it. Magmar learns it at Lv 49.

Tarazet

I'm having a holy hell of a time trying to catch a Ditto. They're supposed to be available using the Poke Radar on Route 218, but I've been trying for almost an hour and haven't seen one of the damn things.

Sixfortyfive

sonarrat said:
I'm having a holy hell of a time trying to catch a Ditto. They're supposed to be available using the Poke Radar on Route 218, but I've been trying for almost an hour and haven't seen one of the damn things.
IIRC, Ditto's location changed between D/P and Platinum.

Less than 24 hours till the Oak letter wifi event is up!

Cant wait to get another shaymin as its one of my fave pokemon from this gen (sky forme anyways)

Espada

sonarrat said:
God damn, 3 hours to catch a Drapion. (I've never seen a Skorupi in the marsh..)
:lol

My issue with Skorupi and Drapion wasn't seeing them in the marsh, it was catching them that had me up the walls. They were actually worse than Dratini in RBY in that they'd bolt regardless what I did.

sonarrat said:
Ah shit. Is there anywhere I can catch it besides the Trophy Garden? I already used it to get an Eevee today.

Unfortunately, no. Luckily you can manipulate what's in the Trophy Garden at any given time by saving in front of Mr. Backlot, talking to him and soft-resetting if he doesn't mention the pokemon you want.

After you do that you can talk to him the next day for another pokemon to appear in the garden. As long as you don't talk to him after these two times, those pokemon will always be in the garden. I did this for Ditto and Chansey (for the Lucky Eggs).

Espada said:
:lol

My issue with Skorupi and Drapion wasn't seeing them in the marsh, it was catching them that had me up the walls. They were actually worse than Dratini in RBY in that they'd bolt regardless what I did.

Even worse, you could get one with Battle Armor instead of Sniper. :lol (I guess you could breed it though.)

kyo_daikun said:
Less than 24 hours till the Oak letter wifi event is up!

Cant wait to get another shaymin as its one of my fave pokemon from this gen (sky forme anyways)

This is the same activation method as the previous event though, right? Guessing you can't pick him up again if you already did so using the same method.

Espada

Crazymoogle said:
Even worse, you could get one with Battle Armor instead of Sniper. :lol (I guess you could breed it though.)

That's exactly what happened. I was ecstatic about catching the little son of a bitch, only to see the wrong ability. Bastard got one last shot in.

Crazymoogle said:

This is the same activation method as the previous event though, right? Guessing you can't pick him up again if you already did so using the same method.

Nope, when this was originally given out in the uk it was a wifi gift of an actual shaymin, you just went upto the guy in the poke mart and got a shaymin straight away from him.

This is for the oaks letter item which starts like a mini quest in the game which ends up with you getting to catch a shaymin right at the end, I beleive the american giveaway was something similar (and was only for diamond and pearl at the time)

kyo_daikun said:
Nope, when this was originally given out in the uk it was a wifi gift of an actual shaymin, you just went upto the guy in the poke mart and got a shaymin straight away from him.

This is for the oaks letter item which starts like a mini quest in the game which ends up with you getting to catch a shaymin right at the end, I beleive the american giveaway was something similar (and was only for diamond and pearl at the time)
The longest route in the game. :lol

Ravidrath

...Am I the only person crazy enough to be breeding Shinies using the "Masuda Method?"

In anticipation of HG/SS, I've been breeding Shiny Pokemon to fill the ranks of my new parties while I watch TV.

Before now, I'd bred a Shiny False Swipe/Spore Shroomish and Beldum.

Now I'm working on a bunch for HG/SS... so far got a Shiny Torchic and Budew, and am working on a Shiny Poliwag at the moment. Once he's done, I'll be doing a Shiny multi-fang Shinx and Magnemite. Got a bunch more I'm planning on doing after that.

Side bonus? I'm going to get a handful of Mews from Pokemon Ranch on top of this.

Espada

I tried it with some of the Japanese OT pokemon I've got, but I don't watch enough TV/zone out enough so I'm acutely aware of the back and forth from Route 209 through Solaceon Town to 210 and back down.

Oak's Letter is up on Wi-Fi for anyone who wants to get their legit Shaymin now. I'll make this the second quest based pokemon I nab with a Premier Ball. I love those colors too much.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Does anyone have an impish synchronizer I could borrow? (And possibly a spare master ball?)

Finally progressing in the story, and about to go and face Giratina.

Tarazet

Ravidrath said:
...Am I the only person crazy enough to be breeding Shinies using the "Masuda Method?"

In anticipation of HG/SS, I've been breeding Shiny Pokemon to fill the ranks of my new parties while I watch TV.

Before now, I'd bred a Shiny False Swipe/Spore Shroomish and Beldum.

Now I'm working on a bunch for HG/SS... so far got a Shiny Torchic and Budew, and am working on a Shiny Poliwag at the moment. Once he's done, I'll be doing a Shiny multi-fang Shinx and Magnemite. Got a bunch more I'm planning on doing after that.

Side bonus? I'm going to get a handful of Mews from Pokemon Ranch on top of this.

I just read about this.. 1/2048 doesn't sound like very good odds. How long did it take you to get a single shiny? I think I'd fall asleep long before I hatched anything interesting. I do have an American Platinum and Japanese Soul Silver copy, though, and I've already done trading between them.

Teknoman

Think the online battle scene will liven up around here when HG and SS release? Also any news on the next Wii Pokemon game (not wiiware)? Remember reading somewhere about one supposedly being revealed soon.

Top Bottom