• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

USD

brandonh83 said:
the Regenerator parts in RE4 are the best in the game, at least when it comes to capturing that good ol' RE feel. I loved the village and the farm locations at night with that horribly eerie music, but the Regenerators sold it for me. fuck those things.
Yeah the Regenerators were the only things in the game that creeped me out. You could always hear that weird snorting noise they made when one was close by, and the music was pretty creepy as well. They were basically the old-school zombies on juice.

123rl

Duck Amuck said:
The Island had the best sense of atmosphere for me. It also had the best overall moments:

- Big tall dudes with armor
- Oven man
- Thing inside the garbage bin
- Insane atmosphere. hearing the croak of a Regenerator or Iron Maiden in the distance, freaking out wondering where it is; the room with the swinging light, an awesome lab full of tight corridors and more.
- The most badass moments in the game; Krauser vs Leon, the entire Krauser fight, Ashley driving a truck, the fight with It, Leon dodging lasers, MIIIIIIIIKE!
- Amazing sense of isolation, especially when squaring off against Regenerators and Iron Maidens.

The island was easily my favorite part of the game. The fact people said the island was worse than the castle, I don't know why, because it was old style RE meets new style tied with a friggin ribbon on top.

I loved the island segment so much I played the entirety of it in basically one setting.

Amazing.

Exactly...and reviewers have the balls to say the game was artificially long and drawn out? wtf?!:lol If people preferred the village or church then fair enough, I disagree but I certainly wouldn't argue with that decision. Nobody is right or wrong on what is the best part of the game because every Act has a valid claim to being the best in the game

The island level was brilliant from beginning to end though, and it's easily my favourite. The boss fights with Krauser and It, the helicopter battles and MIIIIKEE!!!!!, the laser dodge sequence, the interactive knife fight (which happens immediately before the lasers), the Regenerators, the new enemies etc. It was just non-stop and just too much fun

Drahcir

USD said:
Yeah the Regenerators were the only things in the game that creeped me out. You could always hear that weird snorting noise they made when one was close by, and the music was pretty creepy as well. They were basically the old-school zombies on juice.

What I absolutely loved about the Regenerators and the Iron Maidens was the way you had to kill them. I had to figure out how to kill the Iron Maidens on my own, not knowing where the last parasite was, and it was just exhilarating when you took one down. I'm just hoping RE5 will have an enemy (or enemies) that require a special way to dispose of them. I just saw the most recent trailer for RE5 with some interesting enemies shown, and I'm just a tad scared that taking down these new enemies would require lots and lots of firepower.

Davey Cakes

I don't really care to rank the areas in RE4. Typically, I would tie the castle and the Island, and put the Village slightly behind both, but really, that's not necessary. What was brilliant about RE4 was that, despite its length, it never really dragged that much. Every time you were led into a new area, some new scenario was thrown on top of you. Yeah, a lot of the times it was just fending off a bunch of enemies, but the environments were varied enough to keep it fresh.

For a game that's 15-30 hours on the first playthrough, it had amazing pacing. I always view the village, castle, and island areas in their own distinct way, because each of those areas introduce new environments and gameplay scenarios for the player.

I can see why some might see the castle segment as dragging, but really, the castle isn't even all of the castle segment. The caves, the mines, any underground areas and outside areas, all make up more of the castle segment than the actual castle itself. That said, 1/2 of the game happens in between the village and the island, so obviously the castle itself is labeled as one overlong chunk, even though every area inside of it is quite varied and interesting; everything from sniping catapult guys, to fending off creepy creatures in the sewers, to exploring a garden maze with dogs jumping out at you, to riding on a mine cart while fighting villagers, to running away from a giant Salazar statue.

And I just have a love for the castle interior in general. It gets me every time. Areas like the one where you have to place the King's and Queen's grails are just really cool to me, how you're walking along and all you can hear is the wind in the background. Awesome. Just like the corridors on the island, these areas remind me of good ol' claustrophobic RE.

Davey Cakes

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Who the hell needed 30 hours to beat RE4?

I took 16 on my first playthrough.
I took 27 my first time. Took my time with it. Looked through every nook and cranny. Never skipped enemies.

Second time I shortened it to 15 though. I'm on my third playthrough and should wrap-up around 10.

Rpgmonkey

Duck Amuck said:
The Island had the best sense of atmosphere for me. It also had the best overall moments:

- Big tall dudes with armor
- Oven man
- Thing inside the garbage bin
- Insane atmosphere. hearing the croak of a Regenerator or Iron Maiden in the distance, freaking out wondering where it is; the room with the swinging light, an awesome lab full of tight corridors and more.
- The most badass moments in the game; Krauser vs Leon, the entire Krauser fight, Ashley driving a truck, the fight with It, Leon dodging lasers, MIIIIIIIIKE!
- Amazing sense of isolation, especially when squaring off against Regenerators and Iron Maidens.

The island was easily my favorite part of the game. The fact people said the island was worse than the castle, I don't know why, because it was old style RE meets new style tied with a friggin ribbon on top.

I loved the island segment so much I played the entirety of it in basically one setting.

Amazing.

Pretty much. My favorite part of RE4.

I liked the castle too, but only because the monk guys creeped me out when you didn't know exactly where they were, and/or they popped up from behind you. :lol

Blueblur1

There are a lot of RE4 complaints nowadays. Some people are just too damn meticulous about games while others overly simplify why they hate a specific game or segment of a game without really taking a good look at it.

Oh well. *shrugs*

Davey Cakes

Christopher said:
Type A all the way

fuck the 2 stick shit...this isn't a FPS.
Yeah. Hell, the game's unplayable with anything other than Type A. It's just not the kind of action game suited to two-stick controls.

USD

Rash said:
Yeah. Hell, the game's unplayable with anything other than Type A. It's just not the kind of action game suited to two-stick controls.
1. Every control scheme is in fact playable. With time, and understanding of the advantages and flaws of each scheme, you can play with any one of your choosing. Sure I've played the demo hundreds of times, but I basically mastered Type D after only a few playthroughs.
2. The two-stick set-up works perfectly fine, and the ability to strafe is vastly underappreciated.

Daigoro

Rash said:

nonsense. its perfectly playable with Type D, the default setting.

to each his own though. if you guys like A, then use what works for you.

USD

Type C and D also have COD-style running (click in and hold forward the left stick, steer with the right). This is particularly useful in Type D, as you don't need to switch from face buttons to the right stick when going from running to shooting. This style of running also doesn't have turn acceleration, so when you start to turn, you're already moving at the fastest turn speed. You do, however, still have to use the A button for quick turns.

Nemesis_

Arrggh, this is killing me. One of my RE5 orders is at Preparing order.

Does this mean they have the stock? Could it be sent today? (I'd get it before the weekend then :D )

Sooo there's gonna be a Resident Evil Home space soon? That would... rock. Especially with RE5's co-op functionality, launching RE5 co-op campaigns from Home with people would be incredibly awesome.

Blueblur1

brandonh83 said:
Sooo there's gonna be a Resident Evil Home space soon? That would... rock. Especially with RE5's co-op functionality, launching RE5 co-op campaigns from Home with people would be incredibly awesome.
joke post?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
brandonh83 said:
I think they showed screenshots of the RE5 space a month or so ago.

Strider2K99 said:
Why is that a joke?
Home is the joke, obviously.

We just got these in yesterday.

IMG_0038-1.jpg

Blueblur1

brandonh83 said:
Yeah I'm backing away from this conversation altogether. Conflicting opinions about Home all over the place.
Your post did read like there was some intended sarcasm. And Home is amazing or terrible depending on who you ask. You're doing the right thing (I would do the same; no more bans for me). :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MiamiWesker said:
So Elite is in, does that mean the game is arriving at stores already?
I wish. Not in Australia, anyway. :(

Nemesis_

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

The game is expected to be shipped on Mar 05, 2009.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards

After emailing them and asking if they'll send my order earlier to make sure I receive it ON the release date =P

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis556 said:
After emailing them and asking if they'll send my order earlier to make sure I receive it ON the release date =P
Yeah, I realised that they weren't going to send my copy on time, so I canceled the order. I'm just going to pick it up on
Tuesday

cvxfreak

rockman zx said:
I'm checking play-asia every 10 minutes :lol , can't wait, please send it tomorrow.

Back to play the demo.

I think it's actually in on the 4th when they'll ship it out.

PA must have so many orders that they had to begin "Preparing Order" status early.

Costanza

Banned
Any Atlanta GAFers know of stores that break street dates? I'm gonna be visiting this weekend and I'd love to pick RE5 up early...

tass0

Banned
Tiduz said:
game got totally leaked.

wow. now to avoid spoilers.

FFS. This always f*cking happens. Why do all 360 games get leaked and now I have to avoid forums so I don't get spoiled.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I see people doing live streams...so people worried about spoilers might want to be careful in the next week

USD

Wario64 said:
I see people doing live streams...so people worried about spoilers might want to be careful in the next week
WESKER IS CHRIS'S FATHER. JILL'S BEEN A ZOMBIE THE WHOLE TIME.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
USD said:
WESKER IS CHRIS'S FATHER. JILL'S BEEN A ZOMBIE THE WHOLE TIME.

AND SHEVA IS ACTUALLY A DUDE PLAYING ANOTHER DUDE DISGUISED AS A CHICK ! :eek:

hey everyone quick let's watch a crappy, tiny live stream and spoil the game while not experiencing it in much better quality and not being in control and not experiencing it for ourselves, and then make unfounded quips about the game!

sorry but no game is scary, or immersive, or atmospheric or well, any fun at all if you're not playing it yourself in better circumstances. I'm sure if I watched a cruddy live stream of the original Silent Hill, it wouldn't have nearly the same impact. but what I'm saying here is all very obvious; I just think it's stupid to judge the game like this.

brb I'm gonna go watch the original Halloween on a 12" television at Wal-Mart, I hope I don't soil myself in fear.

Top Bottom