• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Pojo

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
What are the hardest levels to beat single player on Professional difficulty? I have unlimited ammo for the rocket launcher and a handful of other weapons, but are there any really tough spots I should be aware of?
El Gigante (or whatever the kids are calling it now) on the back of a jeep.

You wouldn't think it would be hard.

Neiteio

But again, I don't see this whole "the Castle dragged on" thing. If you split RE4 into three areas, the Village, Castle, and Island, then yeah, the Castle is nearly half of the game, but that doesn't mean it "drags." Honestly, there's a good amount of variety between when you enter the Castle and when you leave for the Island.
I can see how the Castle overstays its welcome. Thinking back on it I can't remember its progression, just a muddled blur of monster rooms and monster corridors. At times it felt like a childhood car trip watching billboards go by and badgering Dad about when we'd arrive. Monk monk monk, "Are we there yet," monk monk monk, "Are we there yet," monk monk monk, "Are we there yet," monks with rocket launchers, "Are we there yet," aaaaaand we're there: Verdugo, USA. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Some'll love it, others will tire.

That being said, I love the Castle from an artistic standpoint, even if it's so silly by design. And it is VERY silly. I mean, off the top of my head, a giant wheeled platform that rides rails to reach a lava room with dragon statues? Think about it; who makes shit like that? It's laughable one would try to find plotholes in RE5 by citing a fallen soldier's map telling what to do in the marshlands, or Irving telling Chris and Sheva the caves lie up ahead (both of which make sense), yet they accept with a straight face the path to RE4's lava room, or the carasoul in said lava room (wtf), or any of the other inexplicable details in the game. It's lovable nonsense, sure, but nonsense nonetheless, and to say RE5 is somehow more nonsensical is, well, nonsense. But hey, blinding hatred does that to you.

Speaking of the two or three haters, I agree with Rash: What do people hope to accomplish by bitching about a game? Especially to an audience of people that love the game and can't stop playing it, a game that's selling like hotcakes and against whose numbers the few dissenters can do little to change? It doesn't do the preservation of RE4's "glory" any favors to bicker petulantly about a sequel that in many ways is VERY similar to its predecessor, to the point where to insult RE5 is to insult RE4 as well, and that in other ways can just as easily be argued as better as worse, as has been proven by the dissertations for and against the game over the past few pages. And really, while I understand the merits of voicing criticisms, I don't see the merit in repeating them over and over and over again, especially when some are so petty as to be inane, and one's life could be better spent playing what one likes rather than self-pitying what one hates. And if you can't play what you want at the moment: we get it. You don't like the game.

Like Rez said: GAF's airing its reruns. And it's not the funny GIF variety.

BitchTits

The baddies that have like a large mutated ball on their head that grabs you like a Venus fly trap - what part of their body are you supposed to shoot at, is the thing on their leg?

Wherever I shoot they don't seem to go down and Sheva is about as much use as a fart in a wind tunnel.

Prezhulio

BitchTits said:
The baddies that have like a large mutated ball on their head that grabs you like a Venus fly trap - what part of their body are you supposed to shoot at, is the thing on their leg?

Wherever I shoot they don't seem to go down and Sheva is about as much use as a fart in a wind tunnel.

aim for the ribs like appendage on their arm or their legs. but really, just use a flash grenade. 1 hit kill.

LiK

Prezhulio said:
aim for the ribs like appendage on their arm or their legs. but really, just use a flash grenade. 1 hit kill.

or take out your stun rod and melee their ass into submission.

LiK

BitchTits said:
Hmmm. Thanks, I left both of those out of the inventory because space is so limiting. Will put them back in on restart.

oh man, the stun rod is awesome for the first playthrough. takes out pretty much any majini out there. and helps you conserve ammo for the bosses :)

Neiteio

Daigoro said:
ew, that came out much ruder than i had meant it. sorry Neiteio!
Eh? That didn't strike me as rude at all. In fact, it seemed rather playful. Even with the Internet's tendency to distort people's intent with its lack of body language and tone, I still got that your message was in good fun. :D

Really hated the demo as I don't want to baby sit an AI character but I picked it up to play co-op with a buddy. We are having a terrible time trying to get on Live at the same time so it looks like it will not happen.
Looks like I'm going it alone which I have little desire to do. Haven't even put it in the 360 yet a week later.
How much of a bitch is this game on the easier settings? Is there easier settings? I know these questions make some of you cringe but I just want to blow through this in a couple of nights if possible.

Neiteio

CitizenCope said:
Really hated the demo as I don't want to baby sit an AI character but I picked it up to play co-op with a buddy. We are having a terrible time trying to get on Live at the same time so it looks like it will not happen.
Looks like I'm going it alone which I have little desire to do. Haven't even put it in the 360 yet a week later.
How much of a bitch is this game on the easier settings? Is there easier settings? I know these questions make some of you cringe but I just want to blow through this in a couple of nights if possible.
There are three settings from the start -- Amateur, Normal and Veteran, with Amateur being even easier than what you played in the demo -- and then an unlockable fourth difficulty, Professional. You can easily blow through the game in a few nights if that's all you want to do before returning it.

Also, the AI's not bad. Take away her guns and put her in Cover mode if you want her to be an Ashley who can carry your supplies, heal you and free you when grabbed. She sticks close by your side and does a good job taking care of herself. There's one part with these lasers you need to sneak by, and even when I was a mile ahead of her she intelligently took cover when the lasers passed and ran when the coast was clear. If you learn how to use her, there's no babysitting required and you'll be fine, especially on Amateur.

Also, no such thing as a dumb question!

LiK

CitizenCope said:

yep, you can play Amateur mode.

i played through the demo and they're accurate to what's in the actual game but the demo for both sections are the climax in those locations which is a big pain for people new to it. the retail game does a good job of slowly introducing you to the controls before you need to take out a crowd of majinis.

Neiteio said:
There are three settings from the start -- Amateur, Normal and Veteran, with Amateur being even easier than what you played in the demo -- and then an unlockable fourth difficulty, Professional. You can easily blow through the game in a few nights if that's all you want to do before returning it.

Also, the AI's not bad. Take away her guns and put her in Cover mode if you want her to be an Ashley who can carry your supplies, heal you and free you when grabbed. She sticks close by your side and does a good job taking care of herself. There's one part with these lasers you need to sneak by, and even when I was a mile ahead of her she intelligently took cover when the lasers passed and ran when the coast was clear. If you learn how to use her, there's no babysitting required and you'll be fine, especially on Amateur.

Also, no such thing as a dumb question!
Awesome, thanks for the quick, reply.
Am I on Gaf? This is April Fools day after all.

eso76

TheExorzist said:
Believe me: You cannot name one aspect that I cannot contradict.

that goes both ways though.
while everyone tends to agree re4 had more ideas and memorable moments, the games are so different in structure (and both are more or less equally well crafted for what they try to achieve) that one might prefer 5 over 4 and vice versa, and there's no way in hell you could prove either wrong.

Wrong would be calling re5 a piece of shit, but i'm sure no one would ever make such ridiculous claims on a day that is not April 1st..

RE4 is a more memorable single player experience, RE5 is more tailored towards co op and replayability, online leaderboards, score. Halfway between a traditional action adventure game and pure arcade, and it does an awesome job at that.

Daigoro

i reached the 99 hr mark this morning! :lol

to celebrate i ranked 60th on Experimental Facility in Mercs. that was fun.

and im still playing through the story mode with people who havent finished the game yet. that is a blast. im just taking my time and following their lead for the most part. let them make the first time mistakes that we all made and try not to ruin any of the suprises.

its a lot of fun taking my time and just looking around the levels, finding random treausre i hadnt noticed before and looking at scenery that escaped me in my first few runs.

rewatching the cutscenes is also fun, becaue i have a tendency to skip them after playing through a bunch of times.

good stuff.

Neiteio said:
Eh? That didn't strike me as rude at all. In fact, it seemed rather playful. Even with the Internet's tendency to distort people's intent with its lack of body language and tone, I still got that your message was in good fun. :D

cool.

BitchTits

LiK said:
oh man, the stun rod is awesome for the first playthrough. takes out pretty much any majini out there. and helps you conserve ammo for the bosses :)
I did use it initially when I first got it, but found it more cumbersome than helpful a lot like using the knife. It does look great though.

Neiteio

Man, I'd love a Mercs map inspired by Shanty Town. The urban warfare setting lends itself well to all sorts of tricks and traversal: ladders, ziplines, oil slicks, barrels, power transformers -- you name it.

PLUS, the boss could be a new character, the Double Chainsaw Majini. As the name implies, the double-bladed chainsaw you saw on the table in 2-1 would finally be put to use by an RE5 version of Super Salvador, in this case a Chainsaw Majini that's twice as big, twice as fast and in nonstop berserker mode, his chainsaw sparking and smoking. I'll stop just short of suggesting he can come back to life like the regular Chainsaw Majini, because that'd simply be way too much.

Throw in some Big Man Majini, Kipepeos, a half-dozen Adjule and tons of Town Majini, and you have yourself a well-rounded level. :D

LiK

BitchTits said:
I did use it initially when I first got it, but found it more cumbersome than helpful a lot like using the knife. It does look great though.

i didn't use it until the 5th chapter cuz i didn't think it was worth it at first either. but when i used it against those majinis that have the las plagas sticking outta their heads, it's a godsend.

Daigoro

the game reminds me of a cross between Re0 and the Outbreak games. (big favorite of mine from the RE series).

cross posted from something i wrote at Biohaze:

sadly, my biggest complaint is that there arent more chat features between Chris and Sheva to use. it almost reminds me of Outbreak the way you can chat with each other (thank your partner for healing you or complimenting them on a headshot), but there is a lot less context sensitive dialog that comes up. i would love for that to have been developed more.

i also really strongly want to be able to have your character respond with a negative response. i dont know why, but saying "no" when i got some demand from my partner would be so fulfilling.

i really enjoyed the chat features in Outbreak.

Neiteio

Was the Select button used for anything? I would've liked an MGO-style chat system where you hit Select to bring up four categories of comments accessible by up, down, left and right on the d-pad, which in turn brings up another four comments in each category. Hitting Select a second time would bring up an on-screen keyboard for custom comments.

The "Halt" command works well enough for "No," but I would've liked a "Sorry" or "Well-done" prompt. For the latter people keep saying "Thanks," which can be awkward. Patch it in, Cappy!

Daigoro

the B button would be fine for all chat commands. it would have been great if the commands assigned to the D pad changed situationally.

its context sensitive when you are healed, and you can say "nice job" if you tap B after someone gets a crit headshot on an enemy.

"sorry" would have been a great one to add as well.

and yeah "wait" dosent quite satisfy my need for a negative response reaction.

eso76

Always-honest said:
:lol @ the gigante fight... fuck. i'm enjoing it to.. but it will take a few tries..
i'm killing the fucker now. wish me luck

speaking of which, a lot of people will tell you to shoot the exploding barrel when he lifts the boulder,which is true but you can only do that once. You'll be just fine though if you concentrate fire on the boulder itself.

Just thought i would mention it since i've read a lot of posts claiming barrel is the only way to avoid being hit.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
eso76 said:
speaking of which, a lot of people will tell you to shoot the exploding barrel when he lifts the boulder,which is true but you can only do that once. You'll be just fine though if you concentrate fire on the boulder itself.

Just thought i would mention it since i've read a lot of posts claiming barrel is the only way to avoid being hit.

Indeed. It' weird. Me and my friend could not destroy the boulder at all in co-op. When we decided to see how it was in SP, I didn't take a hit from ndesu the entire fight. Sheva outright murdered the boulders with some of my assistance.

I'd like to think I got lucky on 3-3 Pro. Got a S rank first time with a friend (who got an A rank :lol ). Died once but still got the S.

Yeah, just shoot the boulder non-stop and it'll go down. Just make sure your bullets hit it because the recoil can mess you up.

eso76 said:

ah thanx, but i got him.. damn.. this was on veteran.. how hard is this fella on the most difficult
setting???!!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Always-honest said:
ah thanx, but i got him.. damn.. this was on veteran.. how hard is this fella on the most difficult
setting???!!

Not much different, really. If you did well on Vet then Pro won't be very hard since you should have a decent strategy by then.

Neiteio

Hey Always-honest, when Ndesu's figure becomes available under Bonus Features, pick it up and zoom in on Ndesu's "loincloth." :lol

Best. Pants. Ever.

Neiteio said:
Hey Always-honest, when Ndesu's figure becomes available under Bonus Features, pick it up and zoom in on Ndesu's "loincloth." :lol

Best. Pants. Ever.

yeah, lol.. i've seen it on one of the early screens. :lol

Neiteio

Always-honest said:
yeah, lol.. i've seen it on one of the early screens. :lol
Have you been collecting the figures as they become available? I'm always curious what people think of this extra. Adding 3D collectible figures is about the best non-playable extra you could put in a game, imo. I loved the trophies in Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, I loved 'em in Wind Waker and RE4, and here we have a grand total of 46 figures, all amazing. I remember replaying 2-3 over and over to get more points when I came up short buying figures; then I unlocked Mercs and getting exchange points was no longer a problem. :lol

Neiteio

Anyone have good RE5 wallpaper that's 1920x1080? PSN had, like... one RE5 wallpaper, I think, but I want more choices. Any ideas?

Davey Cakes

Neiteio said:
Have you been collecting the figures as they become available? I'm always curious what people think of this extra. Adding 3D collectible figures is about the best non-playable extra you could put in a game, imo. I loved the trophies in Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, I loved 'em in Wind Waker and RE4, and here we have a grand total of 46 figures, all amazing. I remember replaying 2-3 over and over to get more points when I came up short buying figures; then I unlocked Mercs and getting exchange points was no longer a problem.
Speaking of that, I wouldn't mind a more Smash Brothers-esque way of presenting the figurines. Don't just have characters and enemies from one game, but have them from every game, and include descriptions of the characters as well.

Neiteio

Rash said:
Speaking of that, I wouldn't mind a more Smash Brothers-esque way of presenting the figurines. Don't just have characters and enemies from one game, but have them from every game, and include descriptions of the characters as well.
In an ideal world, the figure gallery would cover everything from a bandersnatcher to a Tyrant. Of course, it's not practical to expect the devs to model in painstaking detail every character from the entire RE mythos. I'm sure the 46 models we currently have in the gallery took long enough to make, judging by how well-crafted they are.

I for one cannot get over how cool the skinless musculature of the
Licker
looks. Other "scene stealers" are the Giant Majini's mask and mane, the Executioner's stake-pierced back, the intricate blending of bat and silkworm in Popokarimu, the gazillion pustules on Uroboros each casting a shadow (and to think, in-game those are all moving), and the beauty of Sheva and Jill from any angle.

I agree, though; a series-wide gallery would be tops. It'd also be something for all the Mercs-addicted players to spend their surplus of exchange points on. ;) Speaking of which, Capcom has engineered a cheap solution toward that end by requiring we fork over exchange points to re-unlock characters for use in Versus. So if you want to play as STARS Wesker in Slayers or Survivor, you'll have to fork over 50,000 points, even if you already have him in Mercs. Some will hate this, while others will love seeing Japan finally use someone other than Wesker, however briefly. :lol

EDIT: They definitely could've added descriptions, though. And on another note, here's hoping they add more figures down the road. I know it's unlikely, but if we get any new characters for Mercs, whether playable or as enemies on a map, I hope their assets are made into new figures for the gallery as well. Bring on the Hunter!

Despite absolutely hating the demo I picked this game up today.

I played through 1-1 and 1-2 with my flatmate and the hate rapidly subsided -- I now see what I couldn't see from the demo -- its gonna be a great game to play with other people. I still don't think I'll be able to enjoy it at all in single player though. Computer controlled Sheva is just annoying.

Neiteio

radioheadrule83 said:
Despite absolutely hating the demo I picked this game up today.

I played through 1-1 and 1-2 with my flatmate and the hate rapidly subsided -- I now see what I couldn't see from the demo -- its gonna be a great game to play with other people. I still don't think I'll be able to enjoy it at all in single player though. Computer controlled Sheva is just annoying.
I think the problem with the demo was more that it thrust you into a heated scenario with little time to adjust to the subtle but impactful tweaks RE5 made to the game. You have that initial shock, spend a bit of time away from the game, then come back to the final game (which in PS3's case also runs more smoothly in the final build than the demo), and it's all gravy. Even Sheva's AI is not that bad, especially if you put her in Cover, take her weapons and use her as a pack mule that can defend herself, save you, heal you and restock your ammo. Give her a stun rod and that's all she'll ever need. ;)

But stick with co-op, because while it's solid in single-player it is absolutely the greatest thing ever with another person, imo. Hysterical times wait just around the corner for you in the lantern caves. :D

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
80% of the games on pro here in NA are 5-3 or 2-3 when I join a random. Last guy I played with sounded suicidal on 5-3:lol

USD

Applesauce said:
80% of the games on pro here in NA are 5-3 or 2-3 when I join a random. Last guy I played with sounded suicidal on 5-3:lol
2-3 is harder than other sections just because of the nature of it, but it's still not that hard. All the attacks in the Ndesu fight are either avoidable or easily stopped except the boulder (after you use your one get-out-of-jail-free barrel). Still, it's not like the boulder is instant kill, you can take a boulder hit and still have plenty of health to finish him off.

And do people really struggle on 5-3 even after having completed it before (I'm assuming on the last two fights)? Sure it can be tough the first time through, but once you've played through it and actually know what you're doing, the fights become so easy, even on Pro.

Neiteio

USD said:
And do people really struggle on 5-3 even after having completed it before (I'm assuming on the last two fights)? Sure it can be tough the first time through, but once you've played through it and actually know what you're doing, the fights become so easy, even on Pro.
I haven't played 5-3 on Pro, but I'm trying to figure out what spots people might find tricky on this stage. Is it the encounter with Jill at the end? The Lickers at the temple right before that? The elevator fight right before that? Or the whole upper missile area with all the rocket Majini and Reapers? I can imagine those all being tough, but what is it in particular?

If it's Jill (which I suspect is the case), you can knock 1,500 points off the control device's 10,000 HP by shooting it. Otherwise you'll be stuck chipping off 30 HP per tug. Shooting the device requires great precision -- miss and chances are you'll insta-kill Jill -- but manage to shoot the device with the L. Hawk and you'll quickly whittle down the device and drastically reduce the length of the battle.

That's what I love about the Jill battle, the whole risk/reward dynamic and all the drama wrapped up in it, not to mention the little details like Jill's animalistic behavior, and entreating, and how delicately Chris pries off the device. I love the bit before it, too; always fun having one guy distract Wesker, while the other hides deep in the tomb and ambushes him in an attempt to make him leave early. Getting a couple shots in on Wesker with the L. Hawk and then pulling off the QTE counter-attack is SO satisfying.

So, anyone else love "Wind of Madness?" The song that plays during the fight with Wesker in the hangar, with the rockets and the spotlights? I think it stands right up there with "One Winged Angel." So epic. And a slower, softer arrangement plays the first time we see Wesker and Excella, and I think one of the Spencer cutscenes as well. It's the Wesker theme and I love it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neiteio said:
I haven't played 5-3 on Pro, but I'm trying to figure out what spots people might find tricky on this stage. Is it the encounter with Jill at the end? The Lickers at the temple right before that? The elevator fight right before that? Or the whole upper missile area with all the rocket Majini and Reapers? I can imagine those all being tough, but what is it in particular?

If it's Jill (which I suspect is the case), you can knock 1,500 points off the control device's 10,000 HP by shooting it. Otherwise you'll be stuck chipping off 30 HP per tug. Shooting the device requires great precision -- miss and chances are you'll insta-kill Jill -- but manage to shoot the device with the L. Hawk and you'll quickly whittle down the device and drastically reduce the length of the battle.

The elevator fight can be tough, but yeah, the Jill fight is what people have issues with. If you tug and mess the QTE up, you're dead. She does a bunch of spin kicks that you really need to be on the watch for as well.

Still, along with Ndesu I found this fight to be easier with the AI. Just make sure to restrain her, give the AI partner a magnum ahead of time, and then let their perfect accuracy take care of the device shooting.

Neiteio

Papercuts said:
Still, along with Ndesu I found this fight to be easier with the AI. Just make sure to restrain her, give the AI partner a magnum ahead of time, and then let their perfect accuracy take care of the device shooting.
Holy shit, the AI knows to shoot the device? That is useful!

Like I said before: Trauma Center with a magnum. :D

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
USD said:

After playing with the AI on pro Im sure they're pretty spent trying to beat it, given that 1 failed QTE against Jill means death or restart. Playing with another human makes things easier, obviously, but with the AI its a little retarded.

I thought 2-3 was easy on pro, but a lot of people miss the QTEs & boulder attacks so naturally they open the game up thinking its the AI, but the AI is pretty solid in that fight. Cant tell you how many times I got killed cause my partner missed the QTEs.

Top Bottom