• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Why does this game torment me so?

I spent 25 minutes earlier replaying stage 5-2 over and over, and also 4-1 over and over trying to get a rotten egg......nothing. I even played on the higher difficulty! AAARRGGHHHH!!!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
JB1981 said:
rented game on triple - framerate not so good

"I am full of shit."

j/k...j/k...:lol

Ive been playing this game on PS3 and im at chapter 6-1 and i havent seen any slowdown at all. I dont know what some of you are referring to...

mattso

I'm also willing to help people playing through, first time or not, whatever difficulty. I won't even use upgraded guns if you so wish.

I'm on xbl, gt fidel mattstro. Just pm me or send me a message on there

Carlisle

JB1981 said:
rented game on triple - framerate not so good
The tearing on 360 is bugging my balls off too. I haven't seen any during gameplay, though, but there's some on pretty much every cutscene. I feel like I'm playing a PC game with the stats set too high for my system to handle.

Carlisle said:
The tearing on 360 is bugging my balls off too. I haven't seen any during gameplay, though, but there's some on pretty much every cutscene. I feel like I'm playing a PC game with the stats set too high for my system to handle.

Set the resolution to 720p, the difference it's like night and day....

Carlisle

Relaxed Muscle said:
Set the resolution to 720p, the difference it's like night and day....
Really? I haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip! I'll give it ago when I play again tomorrow. 6-1! The end is nigh :)

Pojo

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
"I am full of shit."

Ive been playing this game on PS3 and im at chapter 6-1 and i havent seen any slowdown at all. I dont know what some of you are referring to...
Do you have a 60GB model, by any chance?

vpance

There was a part in Chapter 1 that slowed down alot on PS3 version. I can't remember where but it wasn't the demo area.

Cutscene voice over sound quality is garbage, it's just like PS2 RE4 all over again.

JB1981

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
"I am full of shit."

It's not that the framerate is constantly diving, it's that the framerate is consistently below 30fps, even in areas of the game where very little is happening. I ran into one situation on Public Assembly where the slowdown was so severe that I thought my PS3 was going to crash. The game really does run a lot better on the 360. It's also much sharper/defined on 360 :(

Pojo

Banned
Fyrus said:
I have one and I've played RE5 for 70+ hours on it without noticing much if any slowdown. Is there something different on it?
My friend swears his version doesn't have slowdown either, and he has a 60 gb system. I have an 80 and it has noticeable slowdown on certain sections. Not game breaking, but you'd notice it.

If that's the case, screw Capcom.

Neiteio

In my experience with the PS3 version, I've only noticed the framerate hover below 30 fps a couple times. One was when I was playing online on the revolving elevator on 5-3. Still perfectably playable, but there was a fine choppiness to the capsules passing in the background. Another was one time at Public Assembly in 1-1, where the area looked fuzzy when viewed from afar at the top of the tallest watchtower.

Other than that it's been about as smooth as any other PS3 game, including ones built for the system from the ground up. I'd take that over any possibility of tearing. The triple's still perfectly responsive, you still see all the detail, the colors are warmer, the controller's great and the online's free. Sound sampling is consistent, too, but that may be my TV or the hardware. I'm using an 80GB PS3 via HDMI on a Vizio 42-inch 1080p LCD HDTV, with the system outputting in 1080p. It's been great.

I have noticed some slight color differences between the two versions. Nothing major, but the 360 tends to have more graytones while the PS3 version looks a bit warmer and saturated with light. One place I noticed it was in the cutscene before Public Assembly, on the Agitator's face; on the PS3 version, the sunlight shining on his face is stronger, which I liked because it made the scene feel hotter, while the 360 version was just as good in its own way, because on the 360 there's less sunlight but you see more detail on the Agitator's face, detail that's there on either version but more visible with less light. Both versions looks beautiful.

I haven't had a chance to play this game the last couple days, but this weekend... This weekend, I'm hoping my splitscreen partner and I can put to use all of the guns I fully upgraded for the two of us. I want to start a Pro run!

Pojo

Banned
Neiteio said:
In my experience with the PS3 version, I've only noticed the framerate hover below 30 fps a couple times. One was when I was playing online on the revolving elevator on 5-3. Still perfectably playable, but there was a fine choppiness to the capsules passing in the background. Another was one time at Public Assembly in 1-1, where the area looked fuzzy when viewed from afar at the top of the tallest watchtower.

Other than that it's been about as smooth as any other PS3 game, including ones built for the system from the ground up.
That is most certainly not what I've noticed. The area with the spinning platform was probably the worst, and I wouldn't classify it as "fine choppiness" (more like "sloppy chugginess"). I noticed that it wasn't bad in the room where you first see all of the flowers underground, but as soon as you enter the lab, things get kinda choppy. It's on and off like that for the entirety of the game, and it's puzzling.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Got up to Chapter 2-2 in co-op with a friend, on Veteran right off the bat - it's much harder to run around enemies like you can in the demo because of the difficulty, but that makes it a lot more challenging now, seeing as in all of the dozens of times I ran through the demo, I never died, while I did quite a bit here...

Loving it a lot, but it tears like a bitch on 1080p - dunno if it helps, but I'm gonna try setting it to 720p tomorrow to see if it changes anything...

Never bought a RE game before because I hated damn near everything about them from the tank controls, to the insane amount of loading, but I'm enjoying this one so far...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Pojo said:
My friend swears his version doesn't have slowdown either, and he has a 60 gb system. I have an 80 and it has noticeable slowdown on certain sections. Not game breaking, but you'd notice it.

If that's the case, screw Capcom.

Yep, mines a 60 GB system...no slowdown at all in RE5, and i just got to chapter 6-2 tonite.

On another note......2 more hours played tonite, replayed 5-2, 4-1, and even 3-1 many times over and over AND STILL NO ROTTEN EGG!!!! Yes, I played on normal or higher difficulty too. This is just too much.....i seriously think the game hates me.

Neiteio

I can't wait for this:

RE5Screen-VersusModePS3.jpg

I'm interested to see how RE5's red-light-green-light gunplay will hold up in competitive multiplayer. All the blind corners in Prison are going to make for a pins-and-needles experience. There's the red Executioner Majini -- and now there's three human-controlled players running around planting mines at the top of ladders. O_O

I'm also trying to figure out which character I'll unlock first. (You have to spend exchange points to use the unlockable characters in Versus.) Bear in mind weapon loadouts are a moot point in Survivors where you only start with your basic weapon. I love Safari Chris so maybe I'll get him, but I wonder if I'd be too big and gaudy a target. Everyone would say, "Aim for the massive wall of zebra" and I'd be toast. :lol

There will be blood!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
FINALLY, my first SS rank on mercs. Would've passed 100K but I forgot to menu- reload my nitro rounds before I ran out.

Also, who is the best character for the mines? Tribal Sheva doesn't do to well against the reapers.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Skilotonn said:
Never bought a RE game before because I hated damn near everything about them from the tank controls, to the insane amount of loading, but I'm enjoying this one so far...
Not even RE4? Get on that shit now, sucka!

USD

ToyMachine228 said:
Did I miss something and the information on RE5's Versus mode came out?
It's coming out April 9 in Japan (plus they get it cheaper). Not sure when it's releasing for everyone else.

Neiteio

ToyMachine228 said:
Did I miss something and the information on RE5's Versus mode came out?
I posted this many pages ago:

Interesting tidbits about Versus Survivors I just typed up from the LE guide:

Characters have the following layouts, and may require Exchange Points to unlock:

• BSAA Chris (Default) = M92F, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • BSAA Sheva (Default) = M92F, 5 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • BSAA Jill (5,000 points) = Px4, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Midnight Wesker (30,000 points) = H&K P8, 3 Hand Grenades, 3 Proximity Mines
  • Safari Chris (8,000 points) = SIG P226, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Clubbin' Sheva (6,000 points) = AK-74, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • STARS Chris (13,000 points) = SIG 556, 3 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Tribal Sheva (15,000 points) = H&K MP5, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Battle Suit Jill (7,000 points) = VZ61, 3 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • STARS Wesker (50,000 points) = Samurai Edge, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
BETTER START SAVING THOSE POINTS.

Also:

• One to four players, with free-for-alls or two-on-two (say it in your best Wesker voice)
  • Majini-to-player damage reduced to 50%; player-to-Majini damage increased to 150%
  • The drop rate for loot such as ammo and herbs is 100%, ensuring access to supplies even if the existing map stock has been plundered or cut off
  • NO POINTS scored for killing monsters
  • Points are scored for EVERY HIT against human players; 50 points are lost for every hit received; killing another player earns you another 3,000 points, while dying subtracts 1,000; your score cannot drop below 0
  • Hits from different weapons at different ranges earn different points (i.e. shooting someone with the shotgun at 1.5 to 6 meters will net you 500 points, as opposed to 200 points for a hit at 6-9 meters or 1,000 for 0-1.5)
  • A 50% damage and score increase is added for headshots
  • Special melee moves can be performed on players being grappled by an enemy
  • Performing a melee move on a player frozen by nitrogen rounds will NOT shatter them; you cannot freeze teammates
  • You can give items to a teammate without them having a free slot, so long as they have ammo of that type and it's not at the maximum threshold
  • And, of course, additional weapons such as the grenade launcher are scattered around slightly modified arenas

The other mode, Slayers, is not simply a competitive Mercenaries, either. The balance for damage taken/given has been recalibrated, with handicaps applied as well. But let's save that discussion for another time!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Bahhh Sheva's AI is sooo bad. She rarely ever helps. I'm on 5-3
The boss fight against Wesker and Jill (lol saw that coming a mile away)
. She never has any ammo and she almost always wastes herbs. So frustrating.

Edit: Also is there any way to put found weapons into the inventory space on the organize screen? I could figure it out so I had to sell my Magnum, mini machine gun and Grenade launcher. Fucking lame. I really hate the inventory system in this game.

Link

The Autumn Wind
NameGenerated said:
Edit: Also is there any way to put found weapons into the inventory space on the organize screen? I could figure it out so I had to sell my Magnum, mini machine gun and Grenade launcher. Fucking lame. I really hate the inventory system in this game.
Highlight the item and select "Remove."

NameGenerated said:

Based on your inability to figure out how to put something in your inventory space, I don't think the design of the inventory system is the issue here.

They don't bother pointing it out because no one would guess "Remove" would be too difficult for some people.

Ahhh!!

I got my PS3 back from Sony, whom I sent it in to be repaired last week, and it's an entirely brand new fucking unit... sounds cool and all but the damn RE5 save files were copy protected - I was hoping a full system back-up would save them for me but it didn't and now I've lost my entire Veteran play through save and all my unlocks in Mercenaries so far. I'm fucking pissed off to no end, none of my other games were copy protected even though they all had trophies just like Resident Evil did. The even stupider part is, on my new PS3 none of my trophies show up except my Resident Evil 5 ones - how ironic is that?

Also, wtf is with the System Backup/Restore? The thing restored NONE of my games to my hard drive - just a couple of dozen pictures, themes, and saved games... I thought the point of the thing was so I wouldn't have to redownload all my PSN games/demos or reinstall all my retail games. What did the thing spend 2 hours backing up if it was only restoring maybe 100MB of data?

Houston3000 said:
Ahhh!!

I got my PS3 back from Sony, whom I sent it in to be repaired last week, and it's an entirely brand new fucking unit... sounds cool and all but the damn RE5 save files were copy protected - I was hoping a full system back-up would save them for me but it didn't and now I've lost my entire Veteran play through save and all my unlocks in Mercenaries so far. I'm fucking pissed off to no end, none of my other games were copy protected even though they all had trophies just like Resident Evil did. The even stupider part is, on my new PS3 none of my trophies show up except my Resident Evil 5 ones - how ironic is that?

Also, wtf is with the System Backup/Restore? The thing restored NONE of my games to my hard drive - just a couple of dozen pictures, themes, and saved games... I thought the point of the thing was so I wouldn't have to redownload all my PSN games/demos or reinstall all my retail games. What did the thing spend 2 hours backing up if it was only restoring maybe 100MB of data?

Did you have to create your user account again? If you did, did you create it before or after restoring? Just in case, as you should have created it (same username and everything) before you restored. I and many others made a backup before upgrading the HDD and copy-protected game saves like MotorStorm PR (before update) and of course all of my HDD contents were properly restored. It even restores downloads in progress, should you have anything going on.

The trophies will appear again once you play your games once. You still have them on the server side anyway, where it matters.

Philanthropist said:
Did you have to create your user account again? If you did, did you create it before or after restoring? Just in case, as you should have created it (same username and everything) before you restored. I and many others made a backup before upgrading the HDD and copy-protected game saves like MotorStorm PR (before update) and of course all of my HDD contents were properly restored. It even restores downloads in progress, should you have anything going on.

The trophies will appear again once you play your games once. You still have them on the server side anyway, where it matters.
Yeah, I made a user account with the exact same name and then went to System Settings > Backup > Restore Backup. It warned me with something to the effect of, "Since the backup was made on a different system, not all things can be restored", I had no choice but to agree so I went forward with it. At the very end, after it finished Restoring and then restarted, it told me that a User Account with that name was already on the system and that it would rename the new user account (my old one that it was trying to copy over) with an asterisk infront of it. At that point I had two User Accounts, one that was brand new that I made a few minutes earlier when I turned on the PS3 for the first time, and my old one with all my saved games but with an asterisk infront of the name. I deleted the new one and renamed my old one to the way it was before.

Apparently, the backup did in-fact backup all my installed game data and all my saved games, including Resident Evil 5. Unfortunately since the system's serial number is different it won't restore them - basically I guess it's suppose to be protection so that you can't just give your buddy all your PSN games without it taking up one of your download activations... which also results in the fact that, if I had shared my PSN games with my friends I wouldn't be able to download them again on my own PS3 - because technically all I'm doing is game sharing them to myself. Since you just replaced your hard drive, your system stayed the same, and your restore was able to get everything. The whole process is convoluted and it sucks, I wish there was a way to just prove that I'm not trying to break any rules.

Anyways, I'm going to need to replay through the whole game... my trophies are still intact but Mercenaries mode and Pro mode are no longer available to me. I want to go through it on Veteran again to unlock Pro mode but that's going to be a hassle considering my friend I played with the first time isn't gonna play through it with me again so soon.

I'm hoping someone here (who has it on PS3) who's already beaten it, is willing to maybe help me out a bit. Like full blast through the game, skipping cutscenes, running past enemies, preferably with unlimited ammo to make it quick. I know the whole game through and through, consider myself pretty descent (I did beat it on Veteran first time at least), and have a headset. I of course will be stuck with the shit weapons at first but that's only a minor nuisance in the beginning. If anyone wants to help even a little add me to PSN, my username is Houston3000, and PM/reply to me here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
is it true that if you keep a normal egg with you for long it turns into a rotten one ?

I didn't think I'd ever do this but I started a Veteran game with Sheva AI... oy, at least she's good with the quicklime button events. Played a couple of hours with her and got to Chapter 3 - which is hopefully more popular since you get money up the wazoo there. I'm gonna take a break to sleep but hopefully someone wouldn't mind jumping on later today and helpin' out.

shpankey

not an idiot
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
On another note......2 more hours played tonite, replayed 5-2, 4-1, and even 3-1 many times over and over AND STILL NO ROTTEN EGG!!!! Yes, I played on normal or higher difficulty too. This is just too much.....i seriously think the game hates me.

i've gotten three, all at the same place. i don't know the number's, but it's the section where you're down in that area where the
lickers come out at you. in the part where you're in that room that has those flowers in the water tanks, right after that you come into an underground warehouse like place with the boxes and that big dude comes down the stairs

i've actually gotten 4 there in that same spot, but my power blinked during a snowstorm here and i lost 1 of them.

LiK

Speculator said:
Not really true, pretty much maxed out the MP5 in the mid or late chapter 3 :D

i just figured out the system, i think. it seems a gun can't be fully upgraded until you unlock the next one or until you go to the next chapter. i wasn't able to fully upgrade the Ithaca shotgun until i found the next gun. you got the MP5 in chapter 2-1 so i guess when you got to chapter 3, they allowed you to upgrade it fully. anyways, kinda annoying cuz i had enough money to max out my shotgun but the game didn't let me.

for people having problems with the Rotten Eggs, here are the locations that they popped up for me: 4-2 from the tribal Majinis, 5-1 and 5-2 from the MG Majinis and finally, in 5-3 from the Lickers. i got all of them from Normal and Veteran.

btw, i been going for the Veteran achievement and Sheva is pretty badass with a maxed out L Hawk. she's taking all my kills! lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Link said:
Not even RE4? Get on that shit now, sucka!

Friends have been telling me this same thing too, up till last night - I even have a Gamecube, but I had too much games back then so I somehow overlooked RE4...

I'll see if I can either find it for that or PC...

LiK

Skilotonn said:
Friends have been telling me this same thing too, up till last night - I even have a Gamecube, but I had too much games back then so I somehow overlooked RE4...

I'll see if I can either find it for that or PC...

get Gamecube version!

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I want my Versus!

Neiteio, can I unlock character with my normal points or with Versus points??

VSSS

Davey Cakes

LiK said:
get Gamecube version!
Yeah, probably the best route.

Since I let my brother borrow RE5, I decided to start a new game in RE4, on Professional. And, as expected, I'm having a blast. It's almost mindblowing how near-perfect the game is. It's on the level of what Retro Studios did with Metroid Prime.

RE4 is just a very engrossing game. It has a satisfying feeling of progression that RE5 lacks.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I'm on 6-3,
The part where you open bulkheads. I have gotten to the part when the giant roaches and gatling gun dudes are after me.

I tried it 5 times last night, had to stop playing and walk around in the backyard because I was so mad. Truelize, I read your message after I had stopped playing for the night. I probably could have used some help with that part. But I am going to try again tonight. I checked out Youtube and maybe it is just a case of my guns not being upgraded enough.

Brakara

Skilotonn said:
Loving it a lot, but it tears like a bitch on 1080p - dunno if it helps, but I'm gonna try setting it to 720p tomorrow to see if it changes anything...

Capcom games are notorius for their tearing in non-720p modes on the 360. I used to have my 1366x768 HDTV set at 1360x768 (using VGA cables), but the tearing drove me crazy. So I tried setting it at 1280x720, and the tearing just magically disappeared. And the games still look just as good too.

(Though I did discover that the picture was slightly aligned to the left when I tried the size feature of the Community Games application TV Calibration. Well worth checking out if you're using VGA or HDMI.)

Rash said:
RE4 is just a very engrossing game. It has a satisfying feeling of progression that RE5 lacks.

I have the RE4 Wii edition, but I could never get into it because:

1. The graphics look (literally) like jaggied shit on my HDTV. Just horrible. But I could've get past that, if not for that:

2. The tank controls are goddamn awful. I just couldn't get used to using my left thumb to control the camera, while I used the (laggy) wiimote to point at the screen. And having to turn before moving? Ugh.

And this is from someone who loves RE5 (even though it would be better if you could walk and aim like, you know, they do in the cut scenes).

Davey Cakes

dskillzhtown said:
I tried it 5 times last night, had to stop playing and walk around in the backyard because I was so mad. Truelize, I read your message after I had stopped playing for the night. I probably could have used some help with that part. But I am going to try again tonight. I checked out Youtube and maybe it is just a case of my guns not being upgraded enough.
If you're not good at killing Reapers, then use an automatic weapon. Makes it easier to find and hit their weak points. As for the gatling gun guys, just buy a rocket launcher, and shoot one of them with it. Kills 'em both in one shot.

Brakara

NameGenerated said:

Am I the only one who didn't have any problem with Sheva's AI? She never was out of ammo, and she never wasted herbs. Also, regarding the spoiler, she was even helpful in that fight.

The only times I had problems with her, was in the boss fights in 6-2 and 6-3, where, because of a bug (I think), she suddenly just stood still and was an easy target (even though she had happily evaded everything before). Only happened once on every chapter though.

I also checked the stats after finishing the game (on Normal btw), and she had helped me more than I had helped her (and she only died those two times I mentioned above).

Top Bottom