• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The AI will do nothing BUT shoot the device, it actually was the first thing that taught me you even could shoot it. :lol

Applesauce said:
After playing with the AI on pro Im sure they're pretty spent trying to beat it, given that 1 failed QTE against Jill means death or restart. Playing with another human makes things easier, obviously, but with the AI its a little retarded.

I thought 2-3 was easy on pro, but a lot of people miss the QTEs & boulder attacks so naturally they open the game up thinking its the AI, but the AI is pretty solid in that fight. Cant tell you how many times I got killed cause my partner missed the QTEs.

On that fight you usually die regardless, even with another person. If someone restrains, then messes the qte up when she breaks free and gets kicked, they go backwards and probably too far for you to save them anyway.

Another good thing with the AI here is that if they do restrain and you don't want to risk messing a shot up, you can tug without fear since they can't mess up the QTE.

neoism

Applesauce said:
80% of the games on pro here in NA are 5-3 or 2-3 when I join a random. Last guy I played with sounded suicidal on 5-3:lol
I only died 6 times on ****, killed Wesker in like 1 minute! It wasn't that hard!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
neoism said:
I only died 6 times on ****, killed Wesker in like 1 minute! It wasn't that hard!

Yeah I died about 15 times on that part, but people who open their games up for that part are terrible at it, at least the people I join. Last guy was pushing 2 hours on it according to him mainly because of the QTEs.

The difference in your HP from vet to pro is pretty big, so Im not surprised that randoms play carelessly on pro, even that far into it. But I am surprised at how many of them can't nail a QTE if their life depended on it.

wi@tt

what's the best way to get
the Heart of Africa from the first Wesker fight? And the quickest way to beat him during the ship portion of the final fight?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
wi@tt said:
what's the best way to get
the Heart of Africa from the first Wesker fight? And the quickest way to beat him during the ship portion of the final fight?
You get the Heart of Africa when you do enough damage for the Bad Blood trophy. I suggest using a magnum if you have infinite ammo for it. Magnums can also get him to fall down in the ship fight if you hit him three times.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I do like the points based on grades concept even if it's a tad unbalanced but I miss the shooting gallery side game you had to play to win figures in the previous game. I miss the merchant personality in general.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Shaheed79 said:
I do like the points based on grades concept even if it's a tad unbalanced but I miss the shooting gallery side game you had to play to win figures in the previous game. I miss the merchant personality in general.

"Hustleman" was the greatest. I was saddened when I found out he wasn't in this. :(

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Christopher said:
i'm probably the odd man out but I hope more DLC for the main story as I'm not too into mercanaries
Yup you're alone. Mercs mode is the only part of the game where I feel they completely outshine the RE4 version. Way more levels and multi-player make it more addictive than the original. The only thing it needs is some more DLC characters and no more variations of Chris, Jill and Wesker. Why even Josh isn't playable I'll never know.

"Hustleman" was the greatest. I was saddened when I found out he wasn't in this. :(
"Hostleman"? Well he sure did hustle the hell out of us. I like that. :lol

Who do you think we were we doing business with in RE5?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Was I the only one that thought Josh was going to turn around on some Dead Space necromorph shit at the end? Like...he still didn't clean his face...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oldschoolgamer said:
Was I the only one that thought Josh was going to turn around on some Dead Space necromorph shit at the end? Like...he still didn't clean his face...

:lol

Yeah, I also thought was going to happen with him. Right when it shows the helicopter flying away I even joked about hearing the pop sound of a head blowing up, hearing the parasite move around, and then a single gun shot to end it off.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I miss the merchant, too.

They could've added a voice to the item management menu and called him the "BSAA Quartermaster" or something. Give him a spunky accent (Texan/Cockney/French/etc) and he'd be set. Dabbling in the black market for rare African historical treasures would be his side job.

When I started playing, I thought Reynard was going to be the merchant this time around. He had that "shady dealer" look about him.

eso76

Neiteio said:
I for one cannot get over how cool the skinless musculature of the
Licker
looks.

i'm happy enough to be able to watch almost all models from the game up close; a lot of them are truly impressive and it's hard to see the amount of detail that was put into each character ingame. I just wish i could see them moving too.

There's some truly amazing modeling, i especially like the faces of a few Majini's: the woman in particular is scarily expressive, like an incredibly well sculpted statue.

lickers
are indeed cool, i suggest you take your time and zoom in on them in the long ass corridor with the dynamic light source. Truly impressive stuff.

vesp

Just finished the game playing it entirely online coop with a friend, and my feelings are decidedly mixed.

On one hand, I really, really enjoyed the time I spent playing the game. It worked very well as a coop game, pretty much matching the Halo/Gears coop campaigns. The graphic were amazing; even if a bit drab. I think the scenes of people talking to each other rank right there with mgs4 in terms of coming off as really natural. Weapon upgrading and the resulting online "specialization" in weapon types was really rewarding. The contols surprisingly didn't bother me, and they normally do in RE. I even sort of want to go back through it with unlimited weapons unlocked on a harder difficulty if I can convince a friend to play through it with me, which is rare for me because I never almost never replay the single player campaign in games due to carrying an unending backlog. I'm pretty impressed with the amount of unlocks and replay value stuff they have included, even if I will most likely not use it as extensively as some.

On the other hand, I have a laundry list of complaints. The game is probably the most generic thing I've played this year. It feels like the videogame equivalent of a mash up album using straight covers of top 40 pop. The extent of "borrowing" is ridiculous. Reviews led me to believe that the story was the great unifier of the series; finally tying together all the threads and finishing the tapestry. That's vaguely true, it does answer a lot of questions and provide some closure to the overarching plot. However, all the reveals are essentially at the very end of the game, and none are particularly interesting or fully fleshed out and the entire last encounter was ludicrous to the point of being unintentionally comical. There is very little of the campy soul to the game like the early RE's (which is what made their dumb plots and cheesy dialogue so endearing). With all the replay and extra modes and such they've added, I feel kinda bad about complaining about length, but I really think another full chapter set on the back end to stretch out the reveals, and give the player more time with their fully kitted out weapons + [end game spoilers]
not ending the game by mimicing the last fight of any given final fantasy game set at the end of the return of the king with the boss character model essentially being arnold in T2 super imposed on a creature cut out of a hentai tentacle rape scene
would have really improved my overall attitude toward the campaign.

TL;DR: Really fun and polished but totally hollow and stupid.
I HATE LAVA

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I have completed the game on amature, normal and veteran but I still don't understand what a good strategy is to
defeat Wesker on 5-3. The times when my friend and I have done it seemed to be by pure luck. After a while he just leaves you with Jill. But what exactly is the fastest most effective way to make him leave early? What actually determines when he leaves? Are counter attacks the way to go? He dodges pretty much EVERYTHING.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Run and hide, then pop out from behind walls and shoot a few rounds into him.

After 7 minutes he'll just leave. But you get an achievement, and a treasure (which appears between the two staircases) if you inflict enough damage.

OriginX

I'm looking for someone to go through the story with on XBL. This is my first playthrough and the AI Sheva is just annoying the hell out of me. Wasting ammo and health items like crazy...

My XBL GT is OriginXXX. Anyone interested, shoot me a request.

Anybody have a rotten egg they can give me? last egg I need for egg hunter and I can't seem to find one anywhere.

edit: nvm just found one on 5-3 lol.

LiK

man, Bad Blood was easier than i thought. i dont have the infinite ammo rocket launcher but i found out i didn't even need it. just used one rocket plus one shot from a maxed out L Hawk on Normal and i got it instantly. those youtube videos make it look so hard. :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
isamu said:
I have completed the game on amature, normal and veteran but I still don't understand what a good strategy is to
defeat Wesker on 5-3. The times when my friend and I have done it seemed to be by pure luck. After a while he just leaves you with Jill. But what exactly is the fastest most effective way to make him leave early? What actually determines when he leaves? Are counter attacks the way to go? He dodges pretty much EVERYTHING.
i hope i'm thinking of the right one...

go around and turn off all the lights, after you turn them all off, there's 3 i think, get the rocket launcher and load it. check to see if wesker turned any back on, if so, turn them back off. put sheva on attack. she'll shoot and hit him... probably about 50% will land. this is b/c wesker can't see good without light. once sheva says "now's our chance" shoot a rocket straight at wesker, doesn't matter how far, as long as you are looking at each other. he will catch the rocket at the last second. switch to pistol and shoot the rocket in his hands, it will blow up. repeat this procedure again. end.

edit: crap i did think of the wrong one. ignore the above. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Friend of mine just called me to tell me that our copies of RE5 just came in from Play.com, so I'm going to pick it up right away - took more than 2 damn weeks for it to come, and the timing couldn't be worse as I got The Dishwasher just yesterday, but hey, I guess it just means that I'll be gaming pretty long today and tonight...

It's a shame that we have to wait till we beat the game to unlock Mercinaries though, as I already wanna play that off the bat...

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I think I'm completely screwed here. I'm at the battle with
Wesker in the volcano
, but I barely have any ammo. Suggestions?

glaurung

Link said:
Wesker in the volcano

Quit, save, buy ammunition.

You could try knifing it, but I don't vouch for the results.

glaurung

Link said:
I have no monies.

In that case run some rounds around the earlier levels and either save up your desired ammunition or do some treasure runs,
marshlands
is a good location for easy treasure loot.

Make sure to remove all weapons from your and your partner's inventory that you DO NOT want to find ammo for. That guarantees you get more ammo for the weapons you have equipped.

Link

The Autumn Wind
glaurung said:
In that case run some rounds around the earlier levels and either save up your desired ammunition or do some treasure runs,
marshlands
is a good location for easy treasure loot.

Make sure to remove all weapons from your and your partner's inventory that you DO NOT want to find ammo for. That guarantees you get more ammo for the weapons you have equipped.
I can do that? Excellent!

Nose Master

glaurung said:
Quit, save, buy ammunition.

You could try knifing it, but I don't vouch for the results.

I beat the final boss with two knife slashes and a QTE. After trying to use the grenade launcher on him for 2 hours. One slash in the front, one slash in the back, QTE. Took like 15 seconds.

LiK

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ugh....I just started 6-1, and i STILL cant find a flippen rotten egg!!! Are there any normal "hotspots" to find one?

your best bet would be 5-1 and 5-2 from the majinis with MGs. play on Normal or higher for more drops. i saw zero rotten eggs when i replayed them in Amateur.

Link said:
Wesker in the volcano

just replay some earlier chapters, collect some ammo and save/quit until you're stocked up again.

glaurung

Link said:
I can do that? Excellent!

Yes. As far as I can reckon, quitting the game always asks you to save the current inventory and treasure/emblem situation. You can then reorganize your inventory and replay any desired level that you have unlocked.

Bear in mind that you do not restart your boss battle from the checkpoint, but from the beginning of the level. A minor nuisance, but that ain't too far to run.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ugh....I just started 6-1, and i STILL cant find a flippen rotten egg!!! Are there any normal "hotspots" to find one?

Anything Tribal and beyond seems to yield them better. I found more of them on the Ship Deck or the Marshlands. In all liklihood, you'll find at least one on a playthrough just killing everything.

After rewatching the first teaser of the game, I noticed how they keep switching Chris's eye color between blue and brown.

I like brown much better...

Clipboard01.png

Link

The Autumn Wind
The deed is done. Overall, I'd give it a B. There were things from RE4 that I really missed like the Merchant and the ability to combine treasures to sell at higher prices. Quick equip was nice, but it you need to switch to an item that's not in one of the four cardinal spots, it's a bit of a pain since the action doesn't stop while you're fumbling around. I also didn't appreciate the vests taking up inventory slots.

All in all, though, I really enjoyed it, and I can see myself playing through it a few more times. Mercenaries mode looks meaty from the quick glance I gave it. Lots of playable characters.

Not sure what all the complaints about the controls were about. I just set them to Type A and had no issues. Of course, I've always been awful at dual analog games, so I've never preferred that method to begin with. My only gripe is that sometimes roided out Chris gets in the way of your line of sight a bit too much.

Likewise, I never really had any issues with Sheva, either. She always knew what to do and used items when needed. I'm not big on having to keep an eye on a partner to begin with, but at least she was able to fend for herself most of the time, unlike Ashley in RE4.

Sure, the game was a complete retread of RE4, but RE4 was fucking awesome, so that's not a terrible thing. I was a little disappointed with the Wesker fight, but after he's been raised to near mythical status over the course of the series, I'm not sure anything would have been satisfying.

Curious to see where they take things from here.

Daigoro

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Me and my buddy just got a chain of 149 kills on public assembly with a score of over 200k, with two minutes left on the clock. Searched the entire map looking for the last remaining enemy. No dice. It has just occured to me, that it was the chicken.

Somebody shoot me.

ouch.

ravien56

was listening to the giant bombcast I HAVE A WII and they were talking about how if u fully upgrade a magnum or any weapon? u get infinite ammo? u can do this with any weapon? someone explain this to me, im only on 1-3 right now

mh56 said:
was listening to the giant bombcast I HAVE A WII and they were talking about how if u fully upgrade a magnum or any weapon? u get infinite ammo? u can do this with any weapon? someone explain this to me, im only on 1-3 right now
You can't fully upgrade a weapon till you beat the game anyway...

LiK

USD said:
Fixed for greater accuracy. You can still max out the stats for a weapon.

not until near the final chapters. example: if you're playing a new game and you're in chapter 2-1 or whatever, even if you have the money from replaying the earlier chapters, the game will limit you on how much you can upgrade for each gun. i should know, i tried when i started playing the PS3 version after i beat the 360 one. ;)

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone here who hasn't played through the game, want to go through coop? I want to play the game the way it was designed to be played, but I really don't want someone who already knows the story rushing me through and skipping all the dopey cutscenes. =P PM me if you might be interested.

edit: I'm on the 360

Speculator

BioWare Austin
LiK said:
not until near the final chapters. example: if you're playing a new game and you're in chapter 2-1 or whatever, even if you have the money from replaying the earlier chapters, the game will limit you on how much you can upgrade for each gun. i should know, i tried when i started playing the PS3 version after i beat the 360 one. ;)

Not really true, pretty much maxed out the MP5 in the mid or late chapter 3 :D

OriginX

While searching through the join game list on XBL is there a way to tell who may have not beaten a certain chapter yet? Because, I'm playing through for my first time and everyone seems to have infinite rocket launchers and its ruining the gameplay IMO. I want someone who is in the same boat as me and hasn't beat the story yet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OriginX said:
While searching through the join game list on XBL is there a way to tell who may have not beaten a certain chapter yet? Because, I'm playing through for my first time and everyone seems to have infinite rocket launchers and its ruining the gameplay IMO. I want someone who is in the same boat as me and hasn't beat the story yet.

surely you have atleast one 360 owning friend who will agree to a legit run with you .. ?

OriginX said:

You're gonna have to host for yourself if you want to avoid inf. ammo weapons. They can't be enabled in your game until you finish it once. I'm not sure if that applies to the inf. rocket launcher, though.

If people need a 2P, just go ahead and send me a message on either PSN or XBL. (My tag's in my profile. Please don't post it here.) I have stupid amounts of patience. So even though I've finished the game already, I don't mind sitting idly by and letting others watch cutscenes, explore maps, or read the unusually long documents laying around the game.

Does anyone know if the GAF RE5 groups on PSN and XBL are full?

Edit: I didn't realize rotten eggs were so hard to come by. First and only one I've ever gotten, I immediately threw at an enemy.

Top Bottom