• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Insaniac

can anyone tell me why I am unable to join my friends campaign? He invites, I accept and it searches for his game to join, and then it says "game session has been canceled" even though it hasn't.

Mamesj

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
alright, Versus mode is really annoying me now....people will shoot me with the shotgun once and il lose almost all my health to where my partner needs to help me. but I will unload 3 shotgun shots to the face of someone and they are still standing there fine and dandy....I don't get it

Sounds like lag. this happens to me all the time on TF2 360.

Neiteio

Super_Chicken said:
What is the difference between the two modes? In both modes I shoot the zombies and the other players, unless I'm on a team, in which case I don't shoot him.

Also can anyone list off the vs characters and which letter they are unlocked by.
Well for starters, in Slayers you get points for the Majini you kill, but in Survivors you DON'T. This is a huuuuuuge difference, because in Slayers you'll have to kill every enemy in sight to keep your combo going and get the best score. In Survivors, combos don't even exist; instead, you increase your score by fighting humans only (so you can ignore Majini) and it's on a per-HIT basis, meaning everytime you hit another player you get points, and the number of points you get each hit depend on the weapon used, where you shot the person, and how close you were. For example, an M3 shotgun shot to the head at less than one meter's distance will net you something like 1,500 points (1000 for a shotgun blast at 0-1.5 meters, multiplied by 1.5 because of headshot), whereas a shot to the chest with the same shotgun from nine meters away will get you only 200 points. To check the point totals, hit START on the Ready screen to see listings for all items. (Fun fact: rotten eggs are DEADLY.)

Also note you get 3,000 points everytime you kill someone, and lose 1,000 points everytime you die. A handicap doubles the points gained by the person in last place as well, and the people in the lead will face tougher Majini than those trailing behind (I can't remember which mode has this feature). So yeah, there are a shitload of differences if you pay attention to the numbers. If you did that, you would've noticed you weren't getting any points for killing Majini in Survivors. :D

anyone ever try 5-2 for money ( or whichever one is after the uroboros boss fight) you get at least 19k every time with less lead up than 5-1.

since you get 2 maybe 3 powerstones, marquis cut gem, necklace and braclet.

Nemesis_

Super_Chicken said:
Also can anyone list off the vs characters and which letter they are unlocked by.

A - Chris Safari
B - Chris STARS
C - Sheva Clubbin
D - Sheva Tribal
E -
Jill BSAA
F -
Jill Battlesuit
G - Wesker Midnight
H - Wesker STARS

Not sure if I still have to spoiler tag >_>

dk_ said:
That would've been a kickass majini:

2nuogt5.gif

I think that just made my night. Thank you, sir.

Neiteio

Shinz Kicker said:
anyone ever try 5-2 for money ( or whichever one is after the uroboros boss fight) you get at least 19k every time with less lead up than 5-1.

You can save and quit every time you grab the Power Stone from the one Reaper on the way out of Missile Area, then sell it before hitting Continue and resuming at the checkpoint right before the Reaper. A bit elaborate for 5,000 gold, but hey, it's there if you need it.

Now check this out:

RE5-ExcellaComposite.jpg

A five-screenshot composite image of Excella. Not only do I appreciate this in a if-airbags-were-Excella-I'd-crash-everyday way, but also the amazing modeling job done on her. I'd love to see someone take this composite approach with other characters, like Sheva or BSAA Jill. Cool stuff.

And the faces!

RE5-ExcellaDetail.png

The game easily has some of the most distinctive, expressive and downright lifelike faces I've seen in a videogame. Shame we didn't see nearly as much of Excella as we should've! (Although seven or so cutscenes is decent.)

Neiteio said:
You can save and quit every time you grab the Power Stone from the one Reaper on the way out of Missile Area, then sell it before hitting Continue and resuming at the checkpoint right before the Reaper. A bit elaborate for 5,000 gold, but hey, it's there if you need it.

Now check this out:

RE5-ExcellaComposite.jpg

A five-screenshot composite image of Excella. Not only do I appreciate this in a if-airbags-were-Excella-I'd-crash-everyday way, but also the amazing modeling job done on her. I'd love to see someone take this composite approach with other characters, like Sheva or BSAA Jill. Cool stuff.

And the faces!

RE5-ExcellaDetail.png

The game easily has some of the most distinctive, expressive and downright lifelike faces I've seen in a videogame. Shame we didn't see nearly as much of Excella as we should've! (Although seven or so cutscenes is decent.)

ill quote your images for awesome ness. well you could check point right after that door and get 15 k from the 2 powerstones and the necklace in that area. Also there is the egg trick which is faster than all of that but i have no friends who play this online.

also i checked the leaderboards... how the fuck do you beat all of chapter 5 in 15 minutes.
I have to see this.

Insaniac

Shinz Kicker said:

I've discovered the best place for money, providing you have a infinite ammo magnum or something powerful

In the level after the fight U-8 keep playing until you get to a long corridor where you fight multiple lickers, just kill them, quit and continue from the checkpoint, You'll keep fighting them and you get 5 treasures, worth 12,500 each run

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just got 40K vs. 3 other players having something like 20K, 11K, and 10K in Slayers...all three fought each other the whole time while I just fought Majini. Every round I play I am the only one who seems to go for the combo timers, and I didn't die once because once people started to shoot across at me I'd just go the opposite direction and continue my killing spree.

I almost wish for the current slayers to be a hybrid mode and there to be a new slayers where it is simply nothing but mercs with competing scores, people being able to kill each other makes people play it like deathmatch with the loadout of their favorite character. I still enjoy the current slayers, but god damn.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Papercuts said:
I almost wish for the current slayers to be a hybrid mode and there to be a new slayers where it is simply nothing but mercs with competing scores, people being able to kill each other makes people play it like deathmatch with the loadout of their favorite character. I still enjoy the current slayers, but god damn.

Yup, I know what you mean. I got tired of dealing with Wesker's Hydra with my MP5 and knife so I mostly stick to Survivor/Team Survivor now where I take down Weskers just fine. In fact, I go after them more so than others. :lol

That hybrid mode idea sounds nice and I'd definitely play that.

Papercuts

Kyouji said:
Yup, I know what you mean. I got tired of dealing with Wesker's Hydra with my MP5 and knife so I mostly stick to Survivor/Team Survivor now where I take down Weskers just fine. In fact, I go after them more so than others. :lol

That hybrid mode idea sounds nice and I'd definitely play that.

I just now played a slayers match without any actual player fighting, it's pretty much ideal for what I imagined. I just thought the mode would be more in line with rushing to kill the chicken(only I seem to ever get the easy points with it) or watching someone battle the Executioner and you camp nearby to steal the kill with a magnum shot, stuff like that. If they made a hybrid mode I'd like there to be no direct hurting, but indirect would be fine(someone steal your kill? Shoot the transformer when they're nearby it).

Kyouji

I just had a very satisfying two hours worth of Team Survivor. Found myself paired up with a great Japanese Wesker player and we rocked the house. One round, I egged someone in the face within the last minute to win it for us; another time, I spawned too far and he took down both opposing parties in the last 30 seconds and pulled us ahead. Setting the opposing team on fire with Incendiary Grenades for a full 10 seconds from below them is so satisfying and amusing, and the comeback victory it gave us was just icing on the cake.

There are so many great stories that come out of these matches. :D

Sectus

Slayers feels a bit like a wasted opportunity for me. The majority of people play it just as if it's survivor mode and ignores the AI, which goes against the whole point of the mode. It's especially annoying in team slayer where you can't simply lead human players to eachother so they fight eachother and you can just run away. Another problem is the score system, bosses are simply worth WAY too much, and it's made even more ridiculous by the 2x bonus if you're on the losing time (that rule definitely should have been removed from 2vs2 matches). So if you're on the losing side and kill the red executioner on prison, that's 30,000 points. Which is quite a lot.

I did a bunch of random tests yesterday to try to figure out how the scoring and netcode works.

Regarding coop I'm very sure the hit detection works in a way that if you see blood on an majini, that means you hit him and then the client will just send "Hey, I hit majini B in the head, make him die now please!". So no matter the latency you can always aim directly at enemies and it'll always register. But it does NOT work like that when firing at human players in versus mode. I'm pretty sure it works in reverse actually. It's the person who's getting shot who will send a "Okay, I got shot, lower my health now." packet to everybody else. Which means it'll be impossible to shoot a moving target by aiming directly at him if your latency is high. On the bright side, as the guy being shot at you will ALWAYS know when and why you get damaged.

I'm also pretty sure the game is p2p but still depended on the host (host is probably responsible for managing AI, items and such). So you have to deal with an individual ping against each player instead of just the host. Since so many things are handled client-side this game seems like it would be the perfect victim for hacks or people deliberately lagging their own connection so they'll start teleporting around.

Things I learned from random tests: (when I mention scores for shooting human players, it's about survivor mode)
-This is very obvious, but when playing slayer, pay close attention to the scoring chart, killing other human players is NOT worth a lot of points. Killing 3 normal majini is worth more points and is a lot quicker.

-When you're grabbed by majini the first bullet which hits you will deal NO damage but will break the grab. If someone melee's you, they'll deal about 1/4 damage of your health bar and get 1000 points. This isn't very obvious, but it's a pretty important thing to be aware of. If you're shooting at someone who's grabbed, make sure to keep shooting directly at them to make it worthwhile, shooting at them once with the magnum would be a huge mistake.

-During certain animations you will not go into dying state when shot but the player shooting will still get points. For instance when climbing ladders.

-Frag grenades or rocket launchers don't have a big radius. Beyond a certain radius the player will get stunned and take no damage, but you will STILL get points (which is quite a lot considering the 3000 points from rocket launcher, and can be lot from grenades if you throw several at a time). Edit: Actually, you only get half of the score if the player is merely stunned. But that can be still very significant if you hit several players at once.

-Doing a melee on a player in dying state will always give you 4500 points. But shooting a guy in dying state will give you 3000 points + the score of the weapon (for instance, 3100 points when killing with a handgun). With the exception of 3 weapons you'll always get more points by doing the melee. The exceptions are magnum which would also give you 4500 points (3000 + 1500). Rocket launcher and rotten egg would give you even more (around 6000 points).

-Speaking of which, there's a few animations which will deal damage to all players even though it isn't immediately obvious. For instance, you know the animation where the axe guy grabs you (and if you fail the QTE) he'll throw you to the ground and instantly kill you? If other players stands near the axe as the axe guy does the last part of the animation, those players will die too. Similarly, player's melee animations works the same way. If a human player does their haymaker (or similar) melee it'll deal damage to all human and AI players which are in range which is very significant considering it deals a LOT of damage, and you get a nice 1000 points for every human player hit.

-One such scenario is when a player is being healed from dying state. If you heal a player while in dying state there's 2 different animations. If you have no herb or spray, you'll give the player a quick adrenaline boost and you are 100% invincible while in this animation, no enemy or human player can hurt you. On the other hand, if you heal with a herb or spray, BOTH players are vulnerable. So imagine a scenario with 1 player in dying state with his partner nearby, but an enemy human player is close too. The enemy starts doing his haymaker while 3rd player heals his dying teammate with a herb, then the haymaker will hit BOTH players and get 2000 points. And the dying teammate who was healed will probably go right back into dying state. If you're playing against very laggy players that might even happen when healing with an adrenaline boost.

-As with mercenaries, there is actually a limit on how many AI majini there can be in slayer (not sure if it applies to survivor mode too). When playing 1vs1 (the limit might be higher with more players), no more enemies will spawn after you've killed around 150 of them.

And that's all the info. There's definitely some potential to exploit the scoring system, but it actually has little effect on the actual gameplay. Most of the exploits are so situational that you'll maybe be able to do one of them once every 10 matches.

Volcynika

Yeah people play Slayers too much like Survivors. I was swarmed by like 6 or 7 enemies in a corner trying to do something to kill them, and another player comes in there, kills me, then leaves. What the hell.

Sectus

I just played with a few japanese people who didn't even as much aim at other players in team slayers, and it was MUCH more enjoyable. It did literally play out like a competitive version of mercenaries, instead of a survivor mode wannabe.

Edit: Considering the achievements, I think that's how the mode was intended to be played as well. Getting a 40 kill combo is pretty much impossible if the other team keep chasing you. But it's possible (but still challenging) if you only focus on killing the majini.

dk_

Sectus said:
I just played with a few japanese people who didn't even as much aim at other players in team slayers, and it was MUCH more enjoyable. It did literally play out like a competitive version of mercenaries, instead of a survivor mode wannabe.

Edit: Considering the achievements, I think that's how the mode was intended to be played as well. Getting a 40 kill combo is pretty much impossible if the other team keep chasing you. But it's possible (but still challenging) if you only focus on killing the majini.
Do you only play the 360 version? I'd love to play with someone who actually understands the versus mode.

todahawk

Kyouji said:
I just had a very satisfying two hours worth of Team Survivor. Found myself paired up with a great Japanese Wesker player and we rocked the house. One round, I egged someone in the face within the last minute to win it for us; another time, I spawned too far and he took down both opposing parties in the last 30 seconds and pulled us ahead. Setting the opposing team on fire with Incendiary Grenades for a full 10 seconds from below them is so satisfying and amusing, and the comeback victory it gave us was just icing on the cake.

There are so many great stories that come out of these matches. :D
dude, don't you sleep!?!?

Sectus

I've got a few new HD videos from versus mode (from the PS3 version this time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0M52dMsazQ&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6la67w_-nBc&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww6af1d_WXg&fmt=22

All of the videos are of team survivor mode. I'm the one hosting and my teammate is from australia (with a ping of around 400) so there's a wee bit of lag noticable here and there. But still, I think the videos shows some nice gameplay and teamwork (and that's without any voice chat going on).

Kyouji

greenjerk said:
dude, don't you sleep!?!?

Haha, right after we finished Mercs, I told myself I'd play one round of Survivor to wind down before going to bed. It kinda went downhill from there... :lol

todahawk

Kyouji said:
Haha, right after we finished Mercs, I told myself I'd play one round of Survivor to wind down before going to bed. It kinda went downhill from there... :lol

:lol i know what you mean. I've done that before... "just one more match" and then it's 3:00AM.

I'm trying to figure out if I should work towards RE5 SP trophies today or try some more versus. I read sectus's post and I've been playing slayers wrong... Capcom needs to rename the damn modes though. I don't think most people know what they're supposed to be doing.

BeeDog

I still pretty much have all the Versus Mode trophies left. Anyone have any recommendations for the 20/40 chain trophies?

Nemesis_

Neiteio said:

Now check this out:

RE5-ExcellaComposite.jpg

And the faces!

RE5-ExcellaDetail.png

Quoted cos there should be more Excella love <3

Sectus said:

I got the 40 kill combo in team slayers, because the other team was constantly chasing me, I mean both players where chasing me, and I was just killing Majini, as well as my partner who was entirely free of any pressure and on a nice spawn point, so they kill me a few times, but we get a 40+ combo as well as some bosses.

Nemesis_

GamerSoul said:
I wanted a fair fight against her. Damn u Wesker! And yes the character models are amazing and life-like.
I was hoping to NOT have a fight and enjoy her company in future titles. :lol Let's face it, I have no idea how we could fight her "fairly".

USD

Sectus said:
Slayers feels a bit like a wasted opportunity for me. The majority of people play it just as if it's survivor mode and ignores the AI, which goes against the whole point of the mode. It's especially annoying in team slayer where you can't simply lead human players to eachother so they fight eachother and you can just run away. Another problem is the score system, bosses are simply worth WAY too much, and it's made even more ridiculous by the 2x bonus if you're on the losing time (that rule definitely should have been removed from 2vs2 matches). So if you're on the losing side and kill the red executioner on prison, that's 30,000 points. Which is quite a lot.
Yeah, that's the most annoying thing about Slayers. Most people I've played with won't have a max combo higher than 4 or 5. I still enjoy it a lot though. I myself don't completely ignore human opponents; if I have a clear advantage and (most importantly) can keep my combo going at the same time, I have no problem with taking them out.

There really shouldn't be a handicap. I've only played one or two 1v1 matches, and I probably won't play more simply because of the handicap. Definitely shouldn't be in team games either.

I kind of wish the default length of Slayers was a bit longer. Since I intentionally avoid picking up time bonuses (save in the rare case I'm losing), most don't last long.

Aite well here i go asking again. I just got RE5 yesterday, haven't had a chance to start yet. No friends are on, does anyone on GAF want to coop with me right this instant? We'll be starting from the beginning. You can play the whole game in coop right? Oh, and this will be PS3 version.

Papercuts

Sectus said:

I had a few matches like that last one...one in particular was especially weird, where the people playing actually apologized when they shot me. :lol

comrade

FromTheFuture said:
It's only if you want to.

edit. Added.
lol you don't seem too eager. What difficulty do you plan on playing? I think it would be refreshing to play without infinite ammo so I'm up for it. My PSN ID is 'DespiZe'.

Edit: wait how old are you?

USD

PROTIP: If you're being chased in Slayers or Survivors, don't ever run past an electric box without shooting it first (outside of the damage range of course). Same with exploding barrels.

You'd think it would be an obvious thing to do, but I catch people with both all the time.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Got one of my customized RE stuff today. Yay! I managed to beat the game under 3 hours on Vet solo. The last battle actually seems easier with an A.I.

Kyouji

USD said:
Got my 1200/1200. Now I will probably never touch Survivors or Team Survivors again.

Care to elaborate upon your issues with Survivors, USD? I prefer it over Slayers and it's been a blast since finding a regular partner.

USD

Kyouji said:
Care to elaborate upon your issues with Survivors, USD? I prefer it over Slayers and it's been a blast since finding a regular partner.
My biggest problem is definitely in Team Survivors. First off, it's the handicap. Giving the trailing team twice as much points means that if you don't have a huge lead, a few deaths to the other team could see you suddenly trailing. This, and the overall nature of the mode, encourages the player to build a somewhat healthy lead, and then sit back in a safe place, waiting for the other team to come. On some stages, all you have to do is camp out in an area accessible only by ladder and slaughter any player that tries to climb it. In that sort of situation, it's almost impossible to come back.

The free-for-all gametypes mitigate the issues handicap system by simply having more teams. It's much easier to protect the lead when it's the fourth place team (and not the second) that gets the 2x bonus. Still, I wish none of the modes had the handicap.

There's that, and the quitting. You'll see players quitting in all modes, but from my experience, most of the quitting is in Survivors and Team Survivors. In all gametypes, if the host quits, the match ends, no points or wins/losses are awarded. In the free-for-all game types, you can get around this by being the host yourself; if a non-host player quits in these game types, the match continues (unless all other players quit). In team games, however, if one player quits, regardless of who it is, the game ends. And as far as I know, there's no penalty for quitting.

Top Bottom