• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

cvxfreak

I'm wondering when the DLC will hit Japan, because there's a bit of lag playing people from different parts of the world far from where I'm at. I did play one Korean-hosted game that was pretty smooth, if I recall correctly.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
cvxfreak said:
I'm wondering when the DLC will hit Japan, because there's a bit of lag playing people from different parts of the world far from where I'm at. I did play one Korean-hosted game that was pretty smooth, if I recall correctly.

Japanese PSN has had it since April 9th, your time (Japan). I played with a bunch of Japanese players today; much better sportsmanship.

Neiteio

Kyouji said:
Japanese PSN has had it since April 9th, your time (Japan). I played with a bunch of Japanese players today; much better sportsmanship.
Sweet Jeebus, cannot emphasize enough how lousy the sportsmanship is among English-speaking players. Either taunting you whenever they win or crying foul and calling you a cheating pansy as soon as the tide turns. I mean, goddamn; grow up people. To quote the great Van Damme in the American classic Street Fighter: "When did you lose your balls?"

Kyouji

Got tired of putting up with assholes so I only join Japanese hosts unless I'm playing with friends.

Neiteio

Volcynika said:
Hey guys, did you buy VERSUS CHARACTER F YET???!?!?!?!?

Stupidest part of the DLC, seriously. :p
Yeah, sucks having to consult a guide to tell which character I'm unlocking (again). On the other hand, it's very satisfying having something to save points for. Now that I've gotten STARS Wesker, the most expensive character (50,000 points!), I'm working on Midnight Wesker, the second most expensive at 30,000. After that it should be simple enough to get the sub-20,000 characters.

But the best part is that Capcom could easily fill out the rest of the alphabet with additional DLC characters. "Yes, I got enough points for Versus Character Z! It's... Akuma?!" :D

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I gave Versus some more play time to give it a fair shot but it's just not clicking with me. Can't put my finger on it, but I haven't had much fun playing it. Thankfully this game has different things to offer, so it's all good. Definitely my GOTY so far despite my disappointment with Versus.

Blueblur1

Daigoro said:
holy shit. that sucks. :(

you still have the achievements though, right?

we'll just have to run you through Veteran a couple of times. but damn, you need to unlock Mercs and VS again, and get the points to unlock all of the other stuff and characters.

damn. that really sucks.
If you could help me with that whenever you have some time I would appreciate it so much, dude.

I haven't touched the game since then just because I'm still frustrated with what happened.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neiteio said:
Yeah, sucks having to consult a guide to tell which character I'm unlocking (again). On the other hand, it's very satisfying having something to save points for. Now that I've gotten STARS Wesker, the most expensive character (50,000 points!), I'm working on Midnight Wesker, the second most expensive at 30,000. After that it should be simple enough to get the sub-20,000 characters.

But the best part is that Capcom could easily fill out the rest of the alphabet with additional DLC characters. "Yes, I got enough points for Versus Character Z! It's... Akuma?!" :D

You don't really need a guide, just note that from A-H it goes in the order it does on the character select screen.

Daigoro

Blueblur1 said:
If you could help me with that whenever you have some time I would appreciate it so much, dude.

I haven't touched the game since then just because I'm still frustrated with what happened.

yeah, id be glad to help anytime.

i think im allready booked to play with a friend tonight for a few hrs, but send me a msg any time on live and ill join you when im free. if not later tonight, then sometime this weekend for sure (im at a friends house on Friday nights).

Papercuts

I beat a S.T.A.R.S. Wesker player as Tribal Sheva 1v1 in Slayers, there's not many things quite like creating a 15 kill combo that includes Wesker twice and the Executioner right at the end. :lol

For a character that every deems overpowered, I won pretty much every close quarters fight against him, bow headshots seem to kill in two hits.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
LiK said:
up to 5-3 in Pro solo. only had a few issues with my AI dying or not healing me immediately even tho she's right next to me...

with infinite ammo, correct?

Sectus

Well, my 360 with the HDMI port is now officially RROD. So no more recording from the 360 for a while. As a slight comfort, I finally got the DLC for the PS3 version working.

Neiteio said:
I love in TEAM Survivors when you work as a TEAM and your opponents keep saying "Fucking pansies, double-TEAMing me." That's funny, did they not see TEAM in the title? This mode teems with greatness.

TEAM TEAM TEAM.
Do you have a friend you usually team up with? If so, add me to PSN (I've got the same id as my forum nick) and we can get some 2vs2 matches going.

BeeDog

My PS3 is occupied by some kids atm, so can't check myself;

can you play Versus Mode on the same console in split screen locally, or is it just online only? Haven't had the time to check it out (haven't thought about it until now), wanna know if some of the Versus trophies can be unlocked by myself.

Kyouji

BeeDog said:
can you play Versus Mode on the same console in split screen locally, or is it just online only? Haven't had the time to check it out (haven't thought about it until now), wanna know if some of the Versus trophies can be unlocked by myself.

Versus modes can't be played locally on the PS3. Don't know about Xbox system link-up though.

I sent a friend request to you, Sectus. Has anybody created a GAF Versus chat channel? It'd facilitate GAF matches and team games.

Sectus

Well, the versus mode has one huge bonus on the PS3 version, it's not divided into ranked and player match. So you can invite friends to any match, and it doesn't become harder to find people to play with.

On other hand... there's a TON of ragequitters on the PS3 version. About 40% of the matches I played end with someone ragequitting, it's insanely frustrating. I have no idea why people don't ragequit as often on the 360 version, it's not rare in other 360 games.

todahawk

Kyouji said:
Had some great rounds just now playing with greenjerk. We'll have to try staying on the same team next time! It was nice not having people disconnect on us too much; think we only had one dude who bailed after I humbled him. :lol

I love Survivor mode, but I think playing with just three people is the sweet spot for Public Assembly. On the more complex stages though, four is better.

heh heh. yeah, that was a blast. the dude on my team kept taking all the weapons and wouldn't share! i keep forgetting to look for weapons and ammo i get so focused on watching my back.

yeah, that guy didn't like it when you knifed him. i think the other guy that bailed on us got pissed on Experimental, i had a mine waiting for him at the top of a ladder.

i'm definitely up for some co-op mercs.

Is anyone up for doing 2-3 together with me on professional, I must've tried it 30 times but Ndesu keeps kicking my ass :(

PSN: MiniBloembak

edit: nevermind got him on my 4th try today, 3 showings :<

ZeoVGM

Banned
Sectus said:
Well, the versus mode has one huge bonus on the PS3 version, it's not divided into ranked and player match. So you can invite friends to any match, and it doesn't become harder to find people to play with.

How exactly is that a bonus? Like, every Xbox game has that option, and it's the smart thing to do.

todahawk

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Do you earn any experience points when playing Versus? By exp points, i mean that points that you use to buy figures, etc...
yup. i unlocked a few thousand last night, enough to buy one more character for versus mode.

dk_

That would've been a kickass majini:

2nuogt5.gif

USD

Sectus said:
On other hand... there's a TON of ragequitters on the PS3 version. About 40% of the matches I played end with someone ragequitting, it's insanely frustrating. I have no idea why people don't ragequit as often on the 360 version, it's not rare in other 360 games.
The rage quitting was too bad on 360 until I started playing Survivors. Probably 20-30% of my matches today have ended because of the host quitting. It's gotten to the point that I only host, just so I don't waste my time playing 5 minutes in a match and then getting nothing for it.

Does replaying levels for money ruin the game? I'm really tempted because I don't think I'll have ever have enough to upgrade all the guns I want, but I don't want to cheat myself.

Jimmy Stav said:
Does replaying levels for money ruin the game? I'm really tempted because I don't think I'll have ever have enough to upgrade all the guns I want, but I don't want to cheat myself.

It didn't for me. I ran 3.1 and 5.1 till I got the take it to the max achievement. Not sure what you mean by "ruin" though...

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
derder said:
First time RE player, quick question: should I save the gems I find, or sell them to make money to upgrade my weapons?

Just sell them as soon as you can. You can't combine them with anything so hanging on to them doesn't do any good.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
It didn't for me. I ran 3.1 and 5.1 till I got the take it to the max achievement. Not sure what you mean by "ruin" though...

Well, I thought subsequent playthroughs may be a little boring if money and treasure are de-valued

LiK

Jimmy Stav said:
Well, I thought subsequent playthroughs may be a little boring if money and treasure are de-valued

it's pretty arcadey in that way. i've replayed the game a ton of times and it never gets old. i love it.

Sectus

omg rite said:
How exactly is that a bonus? Like, every Xbox game has that option, and it's the smart thing to do.
Well, pretty much the reasons I listed. You can't search for both ranked and player servers at the same time, so it becomes harder to actually find someone to play with. This is a noticable problem in games which doesn't have a big playerbase.

And ranked matches are a pure annoyance. It's annoying to get kicked back to the menu after each game and it's annoying that you can't invite friends. And what's the bonus of ranked matches? That you play with strangers all the time and that leaderboards are something you can compete for? When in most games people just join eachother games by searching for specific criteria, or by looking for their name. Or how people simply boost or cheat their way up the leaderboards? And in most games you're forced to play ranked matches because you can only get the achievements there, so that's where the entire playerbase is.

There's only a few games where ranked matches actually work, and that's usually when they changed the system entirely. Like in SC4 ranked matches are all about quick 1vs1 matches, while player matches are lobbies. Or Halo 3, Gears 2, Age of Booty where it's divided between ranked and private matches instead of ranked and player.

So what's the consensus on the DLC?

I know people like Survivors, what about the other gametype?

I'm pondering on breaking my promise not to buy it, because I've nearly finished doing everything in the game.

KilgoreTrout said:

I'm pondering on breaking my promise not to buy it, because I've nearly finished doing everything in the game.

First, you have to acknowledge that this doesn't work like any other third person shooter, it's a bit more tactical, most of combats are 2 guys staring each other and shooting, but here's the key: You have to get an adventageous position, using weapons like the flame granades can give you a few seconds to kill your target without giving him a chance, shotguns wins agains pistols and machineguns, but again you have to try to get close enough to make enough damage at mid range you can still lose, using the enviroment in your favor (there's explosive cans, electric generators, etc...) and you can forget that both modes have still the same (or more) number of enemies of mercs going around, so in survivors they can be an element to take into account (it really sucks that in middle of a battle a majini grabs you, means your are pretty much fucked, even if you had advantage).

Knowing that both modes are fun, if you like this type of gaming, at first I was "how the hell this works? why it's so fun?" and I was very sceptical when this mode was announced, that said right now, Versus is pretty bareboned, lobby needs more work, needs more specific items, modes, skins, weapons and stages. Versus is getting old to me, pretty fast.

Neiteio

KilgoreTrout said:

The DLC is fantastic. The other mode, Slayers, is just as good as Survivors. In fact, I may prefer it.

Here's the recipe: Take Mercenaries Mode; add infinite lives (you respawn whenever you die, so it only ends when time's up); add human opponents, either in free-for-alls or two-on-two team battles; add Majini that die quicker AND multiple boss Majini on some stages (so you might encounter TWO Executioners at the same time, not to mention other tweaks like
Lickers
appearing right at the start of Experimental Facility); add competition to see who can score the most points by killing Majini, boss Majini and other humans (which count as boss Majini), keeping a combo going, adding multipliers and so on; and add a handicap that doubles the points scored of the player in last place, so that one never falls TOO far behind, and there's always the chance of catching up.

The game is full of exciting last-second reversals, and everyone plays the mode differently; some focus strictly on sustaining Majini combo chains, others hunt human players for big points and mix in Majini only to keep combos going, others exploit humans distracted with Majini by standing at a distance and stealing the kills, then shooting the human in the back of the head. And depending on whether you're in the lead or not (your score is always the top one listed, and if it's flashing you're winning), you may or MAY NOT want to extend time. If you're in the lead you'll want time to run out faster, so you'll want to keep people from getting time extensions; if you've fallen behind you'll want to extend time so you can catch up. There are so many ways a match can play out. It's amazing.

Sectus, my teammate in RE5 is usually a stranger, so no reliable partner here. It just so happens one time I had some good teamwork going with a stranger and we decimated the other team, much to their consternation. Thus we were branded pansies for playing Team Survivors as a team. :lol

USD

The best control type for Slayers and Survivors (particularly when fighting human opponents) is definitely either Type A or B. The ability to quickly whip your view to the side is invaluable. Movement gets a bit awkward in close-range fights, but the aiming advantage outweighs the movement advantage of Type C and D. It's especially helpful when targeting fleeing opponents.

Neiteio

USD said:
The best control type for Slayers and Survivors (particularly when fighting human opponents) is definitely either Type A or B. The ability to quickly whip your view to the side is invaluable. Movement gets a bit awkward in close-range fights, but the aiming advantage outweighs the movement advantage of Type C and D. It's especially helpful when targeting fleeing opponents.
Yeah, I use Type B with aiming cranked to Fastest and Y-axis inverted. My little brother uses Type D, though, and while Dying he was able to sidestep a guy long enough for his partner to arrive, heal him and finish the other guy off! :lol I've also seen him strafe to cover while Dying, sparing him death by gunfire.

Versus mode is *awesome*. Getting to swear at Wesker even more = worth every penny.

I feel kinda like we are cheating though, using a party chat instead of game chat.

Daigoro

Jimmy Stav said:

you should have enough money to fully upgrade everything within about 3 1/2 runs i think.

i did very little farming and upgraded all of my guns without much trouble. i think its more fun if you just keep playing and upgrade them as you go.

a little farming for helping out with a gun or two isnt too bad though, it wont ruin it.

LiK

HAHAHAHA, beat the 5-3 boss in Pro solo after several retries! IT CAN BE DONE! :)

got
Wesker
on my first try but
Jill
took a while cuz Sheva AI won't heal me after i get hit. anyways, i still got an A grade woot :D

LiK

alrighty, ONE more chapter to go. Pro mode solo all the way!

HAHA, done. completed all chapters in Pro mode solo. only 3 chapters were a tad tough. the rest were easy. :D

Papercuts

Wow, I hate people. :lol

There's so much irrational Wesker hate, I've almost had to resort to hosting just to feel safe about playing him without being booted/the host ragequiting. I settle for Tribal Sheva at times where it seems impossible to play as him and still manage to do just as good if not better. When people rush me with the hydra it makes it simple for a bow headshot, I beat the hydra everytime.

Still...it's gotten to the point where it even happens to me in SURVIVORS, where everyone is on equal ground anyway.

alright, Versus mode is really annoying me now....people will shoot me with the shotgun once and il lose almost all my health to where my partner needs to help me. but I will unload 3 shotgun shots to the face of someone and they are still standing there fine and dandy....I don't get it

What is the difference between the two modes? In both modes I shoot the zombies and the other players, unless I'm on a team, in which case I don't shoot him.

Also can anyone list off the vs characters and which letter they are unlocked by.

Top Bottom