• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

This game is awesome. I'm bouncing between a lot of games but always come back to another go of CivRev, it's horribly addictive.

Question - has anyone won a match on Deity yet? What strategy did you guys use?

I've won all the way up to second highest difficulty but Deity seems to be impossible - I get a foothold in the match early on, then watch other the other civilizations leave me in the dust and I spend the rest of the match trying to fend off an inevitable defeat. It also seems somewhat aggravating that thus far, I haven't seen AI civs declare war on each other. I've seen enemy civilizations capture barbarian villagers but there doesn't seem to be much interaction between the other civilizations amongst themselves. It feels like 4 vs 1 rather than 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1.

Also, my first match on Deity I built some warriors, moved two squares out of my capital city, then the French declared war and came charging out of the fog to capture my empty capital. Defeated within about five turns of starting a new game. Shocking.

Hammer24

Banned
PrivateRyan said:
Question - has anyone won a match on Deity yet? What strategy did you guys use?

I´m close, but not there yet. Here is what I did:
- use the Aztecs, their military units auto-heal
- right after starting the game, save it. Go to explore to find out where exactly everyone is, where the Barbarians are, and reload.
- try to rush the closest/weakest opponent, you wont make it against four opponents
- I rushed the Germans, and are now fighting the Mongols and Chinese, while the Franch go for a clearcut cultural victory... :/

Just downloaded the 360 demo, i'm really impressed but theres massive amounts of slowdown with basically nothing on screen. How bad is it in the full game?

Hammer24

Banned
In the 20+ hours I put into the game so far, I had only one occurence of slowdown.
It was unrelated to what happened on screen (not that there were many units), so I guess it was related to cachinh stuff on the HDD. Never happened again since.

FightyF

Banned
According to the latest Best Buy flyer...there are some Best Buy exclusive content included (probably get a code to unlock) with the game?

16lg0ua.jpg

I have no idea what it's referring to...

5 more days!

Hootie

I found some awesome walkthrough on getting a VERY easy Economic Victory on Deity difficulty!

xDarknezzx from GameFAQS said:
Method

1. Go to Single Player
2. Go to Scenario
3. Choose Beta Centauri
4. Choose Deity.

5. Choose the Aztecs.
6. Set your initial Modern Infantry on defense; they will slaughter the swarms of barbarians which are about to attack you.
7. Keep building Modern Infantry until you have an army, then start building a Market.
8. Once you have a Modern Infantry army set as the Aztecs, nothing will stop you. You will have about 140 defense with all the upgrades we got off the barbarians. I recommend the medic upgrade last as the Modern Infantry looks awesome with it.

9. Build everything, preferably starting with a Market, then a Bank.
10. You don't really need a University as you already have all the techs unlocked in this scenario.
11. Don't bother setting workers to gold, it will only slow production down.
12. Get your ingredients that you prepared earlier and go and make a cup of tea here.

13. Wait until you have 20,000 gold.
14. Once you have 20,000 gold, build the World Bank.
15. ???
16. PROFIT!

Ok, I may have added 15. and 16. :D

He said you can get the following achievements while doing this: The Will to Win is Everything, Power Never Takes a Step Back and Absolute Power is Kind of Neat as well as Playing The Game. That's 120 achievement points in one game!

Actually, you may be able to get even more...80% of Success is Showing Up, A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned, Before all Else Be Armed, Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride, Culture is Worth a Little Risk, Curse of the Drinking Class Flower and Song, Home is Where One Starts From, Napalm in the Morning, Once More Unto the Breach, Organized Knowledge, Scientia Potentia Est, The Guy Who Signs the Checks, The Root of All Evil, and What is the City But the People? Should all be attainable if you do this as the first game you play after buying it.

That's a crapload of achievement points.

Deku

Banned
I mentioned this on the 360 review thread but the devs dropped a clarification on the Civfanatics forums on the DS version of CivRev.

It will apparently share the same GOTW as the console versions o_O

Firaxis said:
The DS gets the EXACT same game of the week situation every week as the consoles, but the DS is not ranked (no leaderboards).

And yes, it is running the same game core as the larger Consoles, only with a different presentation layer.

Hootie

Deku said:
I mentioned this on the 360 review thread but the devs dropped a clarification on the Civfanatics forums on the DS version of CivRev.

It will apparently share the same GOTW as the console versions o_O

Oh shit...dshirk is working on this game? That guy is the founder of a game trading website I've been going to for years. Nice to see he's made something awesome of himself :D

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I didn't really enjoy the demo. It really felt nerfed in comparison to big brother. I haven't played a civ game in ages though...

maybe I'll pick up 4 off of steam or something.

There is a "Behind the Scenes" Civ Rev trailer available for download on Xbox Live Marketplace right now. I am downloading it as I type this.

Edit: The trailer is 307 MB.

Cheech

TheHeretic said:
Just downloaded the 360 demo, i'm really impressed but theres massive amounts of slowdown with basically nothing on screen. How bad is it in the full game?

I've been trying to decide between the 360 and PS3 versions; I played both demos around 6 times each.

If the slowdown bugs you, stay away from the PS3 version. It's worse than the 360, though not by a whole lot.

At the end of the day, the two versions are equivalent enough where I'm going 360 solely for the achievements. It outweighs the noise issue... barely. :D

I really hope I can buy this thing tomorrow and not have to wait until Wednesday.

Tieno

I downloaded the demo a while ago, tried it multiple times but I didn't really understand it. Well, this evening I just sat myself down and actually read the control panels and I got carried away for 2 hours. Very addictive.

Cheech

Here is the bonus list for "week 1" purchasers of the game:

2K Elizabeth
2K Community Manager

All the info about Gifts with Purchase for the US and Canada!
Hey guys!

Here is the rundown on all the gifts with purchase for those of you in the US and Canada. These are while supplies last, but you don’t need a preorder to get them. Please note that the downloadable content offers are scheduled for release later this month, though the cards are packed in. You will go to www.2kgames.com/civredeem to redeem this stuff.

Also, at the end of this is an FAQ, so check there before you ask questions!

So here goes!

GameStop/EB Canada:
Xbox 360 and PS3: Pack-in card redeemable online for a Voucher or Token code for Wonder & Artifact Pack: The Mythic. Included are: Ancient Wonder: Lighthouse of Alexandria, Medieval Wonder: Leaning Tower of Pisa, Industrial Wonder: Scotland Yard, Modern Wonder: SETI, Artifact 1: Camelot, Artifact 2: Tower of Babel

Target:
Xbox 360: Pack-in card redeemable online for a Token code for Wonder & Artifact Pack: The Eternal. Includes the following Wonders and Artifacts: Ancient - Trajan's Column, Medieval - University of Sankore, Industrial - Eiffel Tower, Modern - Cristo Redentor, Artifact 1 - Pharoah's Needle, Artifact 2 - Tesla's "Peace" Ray

Best Buy (US and Canada):
Xbox 360 and PS3: Pack-in card redeemable online for a Voucher or Token code for Wonder & Artifact Pack: The Iconic. Includes the following Wonders and Artifacts: Ancient - Coliseum, Medieval - Taj Mahal, Industrial - Statue of Liberty, Modern - Sydney Opera House, Artifact 1 - Terracotta Army, Artifact 2 -Sphinx

Circuit City:
All platforms: Aiden Hughes Lincoln poster, 16X20, folded

FAQ
Q: How do I know if the DLC offer is packed in?
A: There will be a sticker on the front of the package calling out the DLC offer.

Q: How do I get the poster at Circuit City?
A: Supplies of the poster are very limited. Please see the store manager if you do not receive the poster upon receipt of the game to ensure all posters were distributed. The posters are not packed in. The gift with purchase for the poster is available for all three platforms.

Q: When will the DLC content be available for download?
A: The DLC content is planned for release later this month (July). Please keep an eye on this website and www.2kgames.com/civredeem

Q: If I don't get the content at these retailers, will I be able to get it somewhere else?
A: Yes, all DLC content will be available for purchase on PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace in early fall.

Target:
Xbox 360: Pack-in card redeemable online for a Token code for Wonder & Artifact Pack: The Eternal. Includes the following Wonders and Artifacts: Ancient - Trajan's Column, Medieval - University of Sankore, Industrial - Eiffel Tower, Modern - Cristo Redentor, Artifact 1 - Pharoah's Needle, Artifact 2 - Tesla's "Peace" Ray

if this thing is as brutally overpowered as it was in civ4:bts I know which version I'd pick up.

Zzoram

Giving away advanced free DLC, and freebies like posters is a great way to encourage pre-orders and week 1 sales. Good for them, since this game probably needs the extra promos to sell.

Cheech said:
Best Buy (US and Canada):
Xbox 360 and PS3: Pack-in card redeemable online for a Voucher or Token code for Wonder & Artifact Pack: The Iconic. Includes the following Wonders and Artifacts: Ancient - Coliseum, Medieval - Taj Mahal, Industrial - Statue of Liberty, Modern - Sydney Opera House, Artifact 1 - Terracotta Army, Artifact 2 -Sphinx
I am definitely going to buy it from Best Buy. Coliseum for the win!

Hootie

Dorfdad said:
wont matter as the codes will be available for everyone soon..

Aren't they just one-use token codes though? You enter them online and I assume once a code is used it's no longer able to be entered again.

oneHeero

Dammit, I have a $25 gift card @ Gamestop.. I dont know wtf this DLC means but people wanting BB or the other makes me a sad panda.

This game is great for waiting for your gf or something. 45mins can go by like nothing.

Zzoram

Hootie said:
Aren't they just one-use token codes though? You enter them online and I assume once a code is used it's no longer able to be entered again.

He means that the DLC will be free for everyone within a few weeks, since multiplayer would be a mess if different batches of players all had different Wonders available to them.

Hootie

Zzoram said:
He means that the DLC will be free for everyone within a few weeks, since multiplayer would be a mess if different batches of players all had different Wonders available to them.

2kElizabeth said they're planning to make the DLC cost money when they become availible...or am I reading something wrong?

Seth C

Aselith said:
Buying this for 360 and DS. So happy!

Same. I just need to decide where from. I think I want Target's DLC (I won't be buying any of it) best, but I don't know what the odds are of them actually having it on day one.

Stryder

Oh, isn't this out yet in the States?

Heh, I've had this game for almost over a week in Australia now, it's pretty sweet. I've found it much more accessible than PC versions of the game, can't wait to play some more tonight.

fortunzfavor

Neo Member
I just bought a DS just for Civ Rev. Sure I'll play zelda, Moon and Advance Wars too, but this pushed me over the edge.

I'm disappointed it isn't coming to Wii, and depressed that the DS version has no voicechat (Skype is going to really cut into that portability bonus), but I'm psyched to find out that the GOTW functionality is in DS.

lupinko said:
They should patch this, I don't want to dumb down my TV's resolution. :(

I wonder if the NTSC version got any fixes with its one month delay (probably not and will wait for same patches I'm guessing).

Man, that sucks! My friend has a Ps3 and I want to play with him, but I'm not getting civ for ps3 if it is all cropped.

Jtrizzy

So this offer doesn't extend to the Gamestops in the US? That sucks, the only options I have are Wal Mart and Gamestop.

Hootie

Jtrizzy said:
So this offer doesn't extend to the Gamestops in the US? That sucks, the only options I have are Wal Mart and Gamestop.

The US gamestops will have this promotion, too.

Somnia

I am so hyped on this game! I cannot stop playing the demo and just want to keep building...stupid demo! :lol

fortunzfavor

Neo Member
Somnia said:
I am so hyped on this game! I cannot stop playing the demo and just want to keep building...stupid demo! :lol

That almost makes me glad there's no DS demo. It sounds like bad crack in the schoolyard.

FightyF

Banned
Somnia said:

Yeah I keep playing it and now I'm starting to hate it. I'm forming a negative association with the game's visuals. So I should delete it.

I should.

Maaseru

Banned
So I've played the demo a ton of times. I'm thinking of buying the game . but have one question. How much longer than the demo is the overall game. (The demo took about 30-45 min of my time)

Also what else can I do i the full version. What I mean is: Is the demo representative of the whole game (a la Crackdown demo where you lvl faster and experience the whole game, but just a bit shorter and nerfed) or doe the game offer a lot more?

Jtrizzy

Go back to the demo and read through the civlopedia and tech tree. That will give you a good idea of all the cool stuff. I don't have the game yet, but from what I've read, a full game can last 2-4 hours.

Maaseru said:
So I've played the demo a ton of times. I'm thinking of buying the game . but have one question. How much longer than the demo is the overall game. (The demo took about 30-45 min of my time)

Also what else can I do i the full version. What I mean is: Is the demo representative of the whole game (a la Crackdown demo where you lvl faster and experience the whole game, but just a bit shorter and nerfed) or doe the game offer a lot more?

Full games last a couple hours, but it really depends on your difficulty setting and how much micro-management you do. Most of my games last about 20 minutes, but that's because I die all the time. :)

The demo represents the early game well, but the last third of the full game is absent. You'll have access to more techs, units, and buildings as well as 14 other Civs that pretty radically change how you approach the game. The wackier civs (Aztecs, Mongols, and Americans, among others) are all refreshing to play and make you rethink your typical build order.

Hootie

FightyF said:
Yeah I keep playing it and now I'm starting to hate it. I'm forming a negative association with the game's visuals. So I should delete it.

I should.

Oh, but you won't. You won't. You will play it again and again and YOU WILL LIKE IT.

KTallguy

Banned
I've been playing older Civs, and I own Civ4, but I really enjoyed playing this Demo on my PS3.

I read the OP link to the changes... it's funny, I like Civ 4 but I think some of the simplification is really nice.

I'll wait on buying it, I want to see how it all pans out with balance.
I already own Civ 4, so if it's way too easy, I may just skip out.

Cheech

contaygious said:
Can someone with a PS3 report back if it really forces you to disable 1080p to see the game properly without cropping?

Maybe I'm not picky, but the PS3 and 360 demos appear identical as far as "real estate" goes.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
kaching said:
Sadly, I'm looking forward to reigniting the old Civ addiction with this game.

Games are much shorter in this so it's not nearly as life consuming as Civ 4 can be.

Uncle

KTallguy said:
I read the OP link to the changes... it's funny, I like Civ 4 but I think some of the simplification is really nice.

I feel the same way. I just finished CIV 4 + BtS session (won a diplomatic victory sometime during 1800AD, and the continued to build the space ship and stomp out a couple of civilizations with my vassal bitches) and while I did enjoy it, the micromanagement can be a bit tedious. And putting the workers in AI control did not seem very effective. Some weird choices there.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ghost said:
Games are much shorter in this so it's not nearly as life consuming as Civ 4 can be.
;) Sure they are. I've been playing the demo. It still manages to suck away hours of time without batting an eye. Relatively speaking, it may take less time, but the the overall impact on life/sleeptime consumption seems to be about the same.

In the past 2 day, I have played some 6 games of the demo. Every time, I am stopped from crushing my enemies with the might of my Legions. I really want this game. The demo has sold me completely.

Top Bottom