• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

fortunzfavor

Neo Member
Uncle said:
I feel the same way. I just finished CIV 4 + BtS session (won a diplomatic victory sometime during 1800AD, and the continued to build the space ship and stomp out a couple of civilizations with my vassal bitches) and while I did enjoy it, the micromanagement can be a bit tedious. And putting the workers in AI control did not seem very effective. Some weird choices there.

I'm a huge micromanager, though the poor choices of AI are part of the reason. If AI could be optimized a little I might be a little less A-type about it. However, like you two, I'm looking forward to the changes. I've never bothered to play PC Civ online because a battle that doesn't make it out of the stone age doesn't appeal to me. I played a lan version of Alpha Centauri multiplayer once with my brother, and it wasn't that fun either (the multiplayer, not SMAC).

The multiplayer options that this game opens up are pretty slick looking. And even though I love multiple month 70 hour games, I'm not always in the mood for one. Civ Rev sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Will Gamestops/EBs in the US be getting this today or tomorrow? I've seen differing release dates online...

The ship date is today. When it really arrives on shelves is anyone's guess, could be early in some places, could be late in others, but 2k is telling you to expect it Wednesday. I recommend calling Gamestop before making a trip.

fortunzfavor said:
The ship date is today. When it really arrives on shelves is anyone's guess, could be early in some places, could be late in others, but 2k is telling you to expect it Wednesday. I recommend calling Gamestop before making a trip.

Gracias! I'll do that. I've got it preordered, but the wait is getting difficult, having played the demo to death...

Hootie

One more day!! :D

Kind of sad I was able to launch a nuke in the demo...will take some of the awesomeness away when I do it for the first time in the real game.

Seth C

crowphoenix said:
In the past 2 day, I have played some 6 games of the demo. Every time, I am stopped from crushing my enemies with the might of my Legions. I really want this game. The demo has sold me completely.

Then you need practice! :) So far I've won a domination victory on each map of the demo.

Liberty4all

Banned
Just grabbed the game today in Toronto at Game Shack. Heard that Best Buy and Futureshop should get their copies tomorrow. This will be my first real game since the demo, really looking forward to it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For those of you "looking forward" to the promised DLC, here's some awesome news:

2k said:
Civilization Revolution's Gift with Purchase Items for the USA and Canada[/SIZE]

Weeks back, I announced that we would have gifts with purchase for customers in the USA and Canada, as a thank you for the fact that Civilization Revolution was delayed a couple weeks. Now, I present to you the rundown on all those gifts. You'll be able to find out where to get each gift, what the gift is, and what you can do with it, if it's downloadable content.
These are while supplies last, but you don’t need a preorder to get them. Please note that the downloadable content offers are scheduled for release later this month, though the cards are packed in. You will go to www.2kgames.com/civredeem to redeem this stuff.

I've also written up an FAQ at the end for any questions you might still have. And if there is something else you'd like to know that isn't answered here, hop on over to the official 2K Forum thread on the topic for an answer.

GAMESTOP/EB:
Xbox 360 and PS3: Pack-in card redeemable online for a Voucher or Token code for Wonder & Artifact Pack: The Mythic. Included are: Ancient Wonder: Lighthouse of Alexandria, Medieval Wonder: Leaning Tower of Pisa, Industrial Wonder: Scotland Yard, Modern Wonder: SETI, Artifact 1: Camelot, Artifact 2: Tower of Babel

TARGET:
Xbox 360: Pack-in card redeemable online for a Token code for Wonder & Artifact Pack: The Eternal. Includes the following Wonders and Artifacts: Ancient - Trajan's Column, Medieval - University of Sankore, Industrial - Eiffel Tower, Modern - Cristo Redentor, Artifact 1 - Pharoah's Needle, Artifact 2 - Tesla's "Peace" Ray

BEST BUY:
Xbox 360 and PS3: Pack-in card redeemable online for a Voucher or Token code for Wonder & Artifact Pack: The Iconic. Includes the following Wonders and Artifacts: Ancient - Coliseum, Medieval - Taj Mahal, Industrial - Statue of Liberty, Modern - Sydney Opera House, Artifact 1 - Terracotta Army, Artifact 2 -Sphinx

CIRCUIT CITY :
All platforms: Aiden Hughes Lincoln poster, 16x20, folded (check out the art here.)

WHAT IS THIS STUFF?
Want to know exactly what each wonder or artifact does, so that you can get the DLC you are most interested in? Here's a run down of every item's purpose!
WONDERS
Lighthouse of Alexandria - your Galleys will be able to sail into open water
Colosseum - your units will upgrade faster
Trajan's Column - your Legion units all receive +1 attack
Leaning Tower of Pisa - you receive a larger cut of the profits when enemy Caravans arrive in your cities
Taj Mahal - all building produce +1 culture
University of Sankore - desert regions provide +1 trade
Scotland Yard - your great people cannot be kidnapped by enemy spies
Statue of Liberty - all cities in your civilization immediately receive two free population
Eiffel Tower - all buildings provide +1 science
SETI - your spaceship will travel faster
Sydney Opera House - settled Great Artists double the culture production of their resident city
Cristo Redentor - Cathedral buildings will prevent your cities from flipping

RELICS
Court of Camelot - all your Horsemen units will immediately be upgraded to Knights
Tower of Babel - you will instantly be put in contact with all the nations of the world
Terracotta Army - all your soldiers receive the Scout upgrade
The Sphinx - you can immediately choose to switch to any government type
The Pharaoh's Needle - you instantly receive knowledge of an advanced technology
Tesla's "Peace" Ray - all wars immediately end

So, what does that mean?

It means that the DLC is going to be divided into packs, and sold with 4 wonders and 2 artifacts in each pack. How much these will be is up in the air, but I can easily see them charging 400 points each.

It also means that this piddly amount of content most likely has already been tested in the game when they were developing it (as each one's powers are already listed), then removed from the game so they could sell them later.

Now, if they released all of the above listed content in one single pack, I still wouldn't pay a cent for it. When I think Civilization add-ons, I think add-ons that include new units, scenarios, leaders, technologies, etc. Not carving a tiny chunk out of your existing game, then cutting that chunk into smaller bits and peddling it off as additional content.

fortunzfavor

Neo Member
2k thread, also, the DS version, in addition to not having voicehat, won't have any text chat either. We're stuck with skype and mirc. =(

It also means that this piddly amount of content most likely has already been tested in the game when they were developing it (as each one's powers are already listed), then removed from the game so they could sell them later.

They claim they hadn't programmed it at the time the game went gold. Your "proof", that they already know the features of the DLC only means they've probably tested it prior to the time of that posting, which was what, yesterday? That doesn't even mean they were polished up and ready to go yet, but even at that, the game didn't go gold yesterday.

DLC is a sweet feature, but there's not much point in having the feature if you aren't going to deliver DLC. I've never known firaxis to nickle-and-dime customers. They like their expansions, but they deliver far more game per dollar than virtually anyone else out there.

But it's probably cooler to whine about getting ripped off by the man, so have at it. :D

NolbertoS

I loved playing war board games similar to Civilization, damn another game I must buy and add it to my backlog :(...I'll know I'll enjoy it though :p

Spruchy

I played the demo never playing a previous civ gamer despite being a PC gamer, how alike is this to the PC civs?

lupinko

AranhaHunter said:
Does it support trophies on the PS3? How is the frame rate and pop ins issues on the PS3 version of the game?

Dunno how much it changed from the demo, but you can certainly try out the demo, it's on PSN if you haven't already.

I read Firaxis didn't put in trophies nor are they going to patch it for trophies. It was from either kotaku or yojstiq or something, well one of those tabloid gaming blogs.

lupinko

2k people deflecting blame to Sorny, news at 11.

If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at Sony for not adding Trophy support from day one. If it had been there when we started, or at least were halfway through development, we'd have shipped with it.

I should add that in-game music falls under the same banner. We won't be supporting it (we do support it on 360 however, but that's because it's a required feature of all 360 titles).

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=300578&postcount=30

Oh well, but sucks anyway, I'm not a fan of achievements, but I will admit it did give me an excuse to replay SSHD. :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
fortunzfavor said:
2k thread, also, the DS version, in addition to not having voicehat, won't have any text chat either. We're stuck with skype and mirc. =(

They claim they hadn't programmed it at the time the game went gold. Your "proof", that they already know the features of the DLC only means they've probably tested it prior to the time of that posting, which was what, yesterday? That doesn't even mean they were polished up and ready to go yet, but even at that, the game didn't go gold yesterday.

DLC is a sweet feature, but there's not much point in having the feature if you aren't going to deliver DLC. I've never known firaxis to nickle-and-dime customers. They like their expansions, but they deliver far more game per dollar than virtually anyone else out there.

But it's probably cooler to whine about getting ripped off by the man, so have at it. :D

Yeah, I read what the 2k rep said after I posted this. I still find it a bit suspect that they were able to integrate, balance and test all these new variables into the game in the two months since the game went gold... but 2k says they did.

I really hope they don't charge too much for them. Personally, I don't find 12 new wonders to be worth paying anything for, so I'm not buying them regardless of price.

fortunzfavor

Neo Member
@Flyin J, so far I haven't seen any DLC that makes me regret getting the DS version. If I had a console version, I'd probably go for the free gift just for kicks, and if they packaged them on sale several months later, I might get some of that, but for now, I don't feel too bad about it.

Now if they release DLC that enables larger maps and longer games, then I might kick myself.

As it is, I'm getting a poster from Circuit City, hopefully this morning. Hard to say why, since I'm not a big poster guy. But it's free, so I'm gonna drive an extra 2 minutes to get it. 4 minutes worth of gas is probably the cost of the poster I don't really want.

Gowans

So is this out today in the US, right?

Us euros have had a nice month head start lets get a epic game going any tonight guys, im in the mood.

Tenks

My local WalMart had them yesterday, but were sold out!

I hope this game sells well. I'd like to see more of them in the future.

Ok, my last game like this was Caesar II. How good is this game and is it actually playable with a PS3 controller. Also does the PS3 version have mouse and keyboard support?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Gowans007 said:
So is this out today in the US, right?

Us euros have had a nice month head start lets get a epic game going any tonight guys, im in the mood.

Yep, out today! I'm getting the 360 version, feel free to add me, GT = Diseasedyak

Stink

the achievements aren't very interesting. Win it with each leader on easy, win it with each leader on hard, win via each kind of victory, build something, discover all famous people etc. etc. Nothing amazing.

ElyrionX

fortunzfavor said:
360. You'll have more peeps to play with and a better experience with multiplayer features.

I'm not particularly interested in multiplayer in a game like this. How's the performance on both versions?

pr0cs

ElyrionX said:
I'm not particularly interested in multiplayer in a game like this. How's the performance on both versions?

earlier in the thread:

Almyn said:
Graphical problems. The game has a lot of screen tear, And slowdown. I have had the game slow to a crawl pretty much every game, it was ridiculous. I tried out the 360 demo yesterday just for comparison, And there is a world of difference, At least in the demo. It's smooth for a start, It dosn't slowdown when you start building more than one city or when you zoom out the map. Overall the PS3 version just feels very sluggish. I'm thinking of trading in my PS3 copy and picking it up again on the 360.

I'm aware not many people here have picked up the PS3 vesion, so i'm not sure if anyone has had similar problems, I know someone in this thread already mentioned these problems don't exist when running in SD. But this Kotaku article at least mentions the slowdown on PS3.

http://kotaku.com/5018504/civilization-revolution-review-compromise-or-compromised

YMMV

cquinones

Neo Member
I did notice some slowdown when I played the ps3 demo. I never downloaded the 360 version, so I can't compare. If the difference in performance is great... well, that sucks. I really want to get the ps3 version. I'm ready to cancel my XBL sub.

pringles

Stink said:
the achievements aren't very interesting. Win it with each leader on easy, win it with each leader on hard, win via each kind of victory, build something, discover all famous people etc. etc. Nothing amazing.
I definitely think they could have done something more interesting than having three achievments for each type of win, but having an achievment for each different civ is great as there would otherwise have been some civ's that I'd never use.

Dyno

cquinones said:
I did notice some slowdown when I played the ps3 demo. I never downloaded the 360 version, so I can't compare. If the difference in performance is great... well, that sucks. I really want to get the ps3 version. I'm ready to cancel my XBL sub.

The slowdown, even a couple hours into the game is infrequent and not really an issue. This is a strategy game, not an FPS or platformer, the odd hiccup in no way detracts from the game.

Defcon

Banned
I think I'm gonna head down to Best Buy and get the PS3 version now. I hope the slowdown isn't much worse than in the demo.

Gowans

Diseased Yak said:
Yep, out today! I'm getting the 360 version, feel free to add me, GT = Diseasedyak

cool!

Look forward to playing with ya. had some great games with some euro gaffers in the last month.

Might be on in a few hours then

oneHeero

pr0cs said:
kinda the obvious choice when that's the only console you have no?
Even if I had a choice it would be on Ps3, my 360 didnt have much of a friends list :( (when I had one and no it did not RROD) although ingame music would be great for this game :\ Although I like the DS3 better than 360 controller.

eznark

Banned
anyone in the states find it yet today? Planning on heading out in an hour or so but wanted to make sure stores got it in (circuitcity.com says no).

Cheech

fortunzfavor said:
As it is, I'm getting a poster from Circuit City, hopefully this morning. Hard to say why, since I'm not a big poster guy. But it's free, so I'm gonna drive an extra 2 minutes to get it. 4 minutes worth of gas is probably the cost of the poster I don't really want.

Don't bother with Circuit City until tonight. I was there over lunch, and they hadn't even received it yet. Gamestop hooked me up.

Cheech

FlyinJ said:
Not carving a tiny chunk out of your existing game, then cutting that chunk into smaller bits and peddling it off as additional content.

If you'd actually read the post, you would know that this content isn't even coming out until a month from now. In other words, it's not even completed yet! The game box includes a token to use when the content is released.

But, uh, damn The Man?

Woot! Got the game. Lost my first game in abot 10 minutes (wasn't thinking about defenses.)

Anyway add me if you want some online fun... GT: Josef Redbeard.

If you're list is full or don't want to add me you can always look through the two Neo Gaf Halo 3 clans to find me on there.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
eznark said:
anyone in the states find it yet today? Planning on heading out in an hour or so but wanted to make sure stores got it in (circuitcity.com says no).

I went to Best Buy at lunch and got a copy of the 360 version. There was a crapload of them in stock.

dskillzhtown is my gamertag, but not sure that I will be playing online for awhile until I get a hang of the game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Cheech said:
If you'd actually read the post, you would know that this content isn't even coming out until a month from now. In other words, it's not even completed yet! The game box includes a token to use when the content is released.

But, uh, damn The Man?

If you'd actually read the rest of the thread before posting, you'd see that after I posted this a 2k rep said the content was completed after the game went gold which I acknowledged.

Meier

I knew I shoulda waited to get this instead of trying for Boom Blox once I re-opened my GF account. Oh well... some day. Probably play Boom Blox for a day or two and send it back so I can get NCAA next week.

Either that or keep Uncharted and I don't expect I'll do that.

eznark

Banned
depward said:
Got the DS version at lunch. Hey, it has a reversible cover... cool!

any impressions, I'm out the door in 5 and gonna pick that one up as well.....$90 on a dumbed down version of Civ, I have a problem.

Top Bottom