• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

ronito

eznark said:
any impressions, I'm out the door in 5 and gonna pick that one up as well.....$90 on a dumbed down version of Civ, I have a problem.
seconded. I'm a huge Civ fan but if this plays more like advanced wars I'll just play advanced wars.

Dyno

eznark said:
$90 on a dumbed down version of Civ, I have a problem.

HAHA! I've totally thought the same thing this week. Then I played the demo again and squealed like a little girl when my Capapults FINALLY broke through the Elite Archers that protected Thebes. Cleopatra was within my sweaty grasp and then I was thanked for playing the demo.

Just gotta see how that plays out.

FoeHammer

I was able to snag a copy today but be forewarned; Gamestop only received two freaking copies.

Thank God I preordered or I would have been SOL. I'm not sure what the major retailers stock looks like, but I thought I would give a heads up anyway.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Gowans007 said:
cool!

Look forward to playing with ya. had some great games with some euro gaffers in the last month.

Might be on in a few hours then

Got my copy (360) from BB. Had to make them go get it out of the back :|

I'll be online later tonight, probably after 10pm CST.

(Josef Redbeard, just added you as a friend, anyone else up for mp games shoot me an invite, GT=Diseasedyak)

ronito said:
seconded. I'm a huge Civ fan but if this plays more like advanced wars I'll just play advanced wars.

Quick Impressions:

I haven't actually completed a game because I keep getting my ass kicked by the AI. I'm playing on the "King" setting which is the middle ground of the difficulties.

Having played Civ 4 and this one, this one is definetly more streamlined. Instead of having to micromanage your engineers (guys who farm the land, build roads, mine, etc.) they go out and do that for you. You're still allowed to choose which thing you want your city build next (You have to go in an actually do it, otherwise it will keep building the last thing you built.)

It goes by alot faster then Civ 4. You still get to decide what you should study next.

Other notes:
Instead of having to declare war against a peaceful ally before attacking them, you can just attack them and the game will ask you: "are you sure you want to do this?"

EDIT: Oh and I got the game at Best Buy around noon today. They didn't have em up, but they had it on one of the carts near the game area. I saw about 20-30 copies of the 360 version on it. YMMV.

DustinC

Picking this up tonight, definitely. The last time I really played a lot of Civ was with Civ 2, which I loved, but I never got into any of the later titles (mostly due to have a shitty PC for too long).

I really enjoyed the demo for this though, so I'm looking forward to it.

PS3 version, add me on PSN for a game or two.

PSN: Deathrawk

Kingpen

Never played the series, and thought the demo was decent, but didn't have the patience to go through it because of other recent released games (kane's wrath, bad company, ninja gaiden 2).

Ended up trading in Mario Kart Wii (I enjoy the older Kart games better and will just buy them on VC) and Call of Duty 4 (bad company over took it, and I know it will have a greatest hits price drop in the next few months anyway) for a copy of Civ Revolution today.

If this is like Advanced Wars, then this is exactly like what I wanted on the 360...

I would say they are similiar though.

Since they are both turn based.

Civilization is also about creating a society as well as world domination. (You can go either route to win.)

depward

Hootie said:
Would anybody be kind enough to post pics of the reversible DS cover?

Sure. Two shots:

2653855068_6b2fc940ab.jpg

2653855152_fc2080bddc.jpg

eznark

Banned
picked up a copy of each, no go at Circuit City so I went next door to the Best Buy.

Damn softball game tonight.....

Victrix

*beard*
Quick questions: Can I disable combat animations/advisors/shit that slows down the game a ton?

Those were dealbreakers for me in the demo, I don't want to see all the animation all the time.

eznark

Banned
cquinones said:
Wasn't that a community website or is it an official feature?

it's in the guide and an option on the DS...haven't checked the PS3 yet.

EDIT: finished installing on the PS3, hopped into a game...holy crap, first time I move a warrior there is some serious slowdown.

depward

eznark said:

EDIT: finished installing on the PS3, hopped into a game...holy crap, first time I move a warrior there is some serious slowdown.

Nooo! Keep me informed of PS3 performance - hopefully going to pick that up in a couple of weeks..

Defcon

Banned
Just picked up Best Buy's last copy of the PS3 version. The girl that rang me up commented that the game was very popular. No idea how many copies they got in.

Add me to you PSN list: bshock

bryehn

eznark said:

ruh roh! slowdown after an install? this will not end well...

how big's the install by the way? i'm going to look for this in a bit and will grab either version.

Zzoram

bryehn said:
ruh roh! slowdown after an install? this will not end well...

how big's the install by the way? i'm going to look for this in a bit and will grab either version.

Slowdown at the end of a Civ game is understandable, with all the world revealed and tons of units/cities, but slowdown on moving the first warrior...

It sounds like the game was definitely an Xbox 360 lead.

eznark

Banned
shit, i don't want to start any flame wars here, just reporting my experience (I chose the PS3 version on a whim, nothing more). After the initial slowdown, which happened pretty much every time I moved anyone for about ten turns, it has smoothed out a ton. I just hit the Medieval period and the problem has stopped completely.

Oh, and the Russian chick...pretty hot.

cquinones

Neo Member
eznark said:
shit, i don't want to start any flame wars here, just reporting my experience (I chose the PS3 version on a whim, nothing more). After the initial slowdown, which happened pretty much every time I moved anyone for about ten turns, it has smoothed out a ton. I just hit the Medieval period and the problem has stopped completely.

Oh, and the Russian chick...pretty hot.

Thanks for reporting it. I'm keeping tabs on this thread to see what version I should get. I'm leaning towards ps3 just because of the free online service (trying to cancel XBL), but if performance is bad... aargh.

On the PS3 version I haven't noticed much slowdown with troop movement, but innevitably it occurs when theres loads of troops on screen, especially naval and air troops. Also it slow down lots when you've got loads of cities and the maps moving back and forth alot - none of this is really serious enough to have much of an impact on my enjoyment of the game though, my only gripe is with the slowdown when the advisors and other Civs come onto the screen, totally irritating, but from what I hear thats a problem with both versions.

I tried the demo out yesterday (had it on the 360 HDD for a few days, couldn't be arsed to play it) and wow did I get hooked. I never played a Civ-like game before and the hours just flew by. I got the game from Best Buy on my way home. Can't wait to get into the full game!

Gowans

Guys we'll have to set up some big online games this Sunday after theres been some practicing to catch up.

Every game I have payed online has turned out epic with some great stories.

bill0527

Picked up the 360 version at Best Buy. I also wanted the DS version but they didn't have it for some strange reason so I went across the street to Gamestop and got the last DS copy and had to sit through the whole, 'pre-order next time, bitch' speech.

The website to redeem your code for the DLC isn't up yet either. It gave me a message saying to check back later this month.

I'm also looking for Xbox Live friends to add to play this game. Most of my friends list is old IGNers who I don't play with very much, but I'll be putting serious time into this game the rest of the summer, so feel free to add my gamertag or post yours if you want to play. Gamertag: Bill0527.

Defcon

Banned
So far the slowdown is the exact same as it was in the demo. It doesn't hinder the gameplay any, but it is slightly annoying.

pr0cs

AranhaHunter said:
Don't want it anymore.
going to quote the important part for those with ADD (like myself) who don't want to sift through that thread:

2K Elizabeth - 2K Community Manager said:
Hey guys,

Civilization Revolution will not support trophies. When we designed the game, before trophies were out, we did not plan on supporting the upcoming feature, and we are not going to add it.

Moray

I'm #6 in line for the 360 version on Goozex. So I'm guessing I'll get this game by September. Can't wait after playing the demo... it was my first Civ experience and I was immediately hooked.

Zzoram

So has an explanation of the DS GOTW come out yet? Also, does the DS version have slowdown? I'm really tempted to buy it, I have a lot of trade-in credit.

oneHeero

Ps3 version, no problems. Same as on demo, all is fine to me, no slow down thats visible, only slowdown is from the demo, same stuff.

Zzoram said:
So has an explanation of the DS GOTW come out yet? Also, does the DS version have slowdown? I'm really tempted to buy it, I have a lot of trade-in credit.

I have been playing it and i dont see any slow down so far

Slacker

There is a little slowdown on the PS3 version, but you get used to it (I don't know if the Xbox version is lightning fast or anything though).

BTW add slackercs to compare some Game O' The Week scores. :D

fortunzfavor

Neo Member
Got it (DS) along with the abe poster at Circuit City. Had to convince them to open a couple of small boxes they got in that afternoon, but I got it.

My new Crimson DS came about two hours later.

Top Bottom