• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

Memles

Played through the demo tonight, although this is my first Civ experience and therefore I just kind of sat around a lot more than anything else.

I really enjoyed it, though - never quite caught onto the strategy in terms of combat, was all over the place in terms of my strategy, but it was a nice learning session. Will devote more time to it over the weekend, look at maybe picking up the full game if it continues to be as enjoyable.

FightyF

Banned
Finally got to nuke someone (the Egyptians), on my very last turn in the demo. It was a fluke as to how I got it (got a special person, and then had the option to complete the Manhattan Project, which still had 7 turns left!).

I've spent way too much time on Civ on the PC and SNES...I wouldn't have the time for a game like that nowadays...this is perfect for me.

Banned
So, for people that have spent a lot of time with this. I'm just getting back into playing it after MGS and have played 5/6 games now. I haven't had a chance to read the manual, but something that seems to be missing is the chance to ‘open borders’ with another nation. Is that missing from the game now, or am I overlooking something? It's very annoying when you have a Civilization expand and block off your units from moving…

Cantaloup

andrewfee said:
I haven't had a chance to read the manual, but something that seems to be missing is the chance to ‘open borders’ with another nation. Is that missing from the game now, or am I overlooking something? It's very annoying when you have a Civilization expand and block off your units from moving…

There's no Open Borders option in Civ Rev. You will need to use boats to go around, declare war, or expand your cultural borders.

Gowans

Play this last night single player and loved it.

My game went great and I toppled everyone around me as the Brits and won by Domination.

The archers are bastards!

Jtrizzy

Hootie said:
I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I built about 4 cities. The first city produced just 2 warriors and then 3 settlers. I founded the three other cities, made their population either 2 or 3, and built Library's in every city. Then, I built a Great Library in my capital, Rome, and set every city to double/triple science. Make sure you build your cities with at least 2 blocks surrounding it in the ocean, because that's pretty much the only place you can study science. I gradually got to University, and I think I got a Great Person to rush it. Then, I built Oxford, and was given the ability of Atomic Theory (you get either that or Flight). My friend and I RUSHED to get me as much money as humanly possible; he sent me caravans to steal and gain money buy bringing them to cities, I sold all of my technology to Alexander, etc. Finally, with 15 turns left on the Manhattan Project and with about 1100 gold, I rushed it and was given an ICBM. Naturally, I used it as soon as possible and utterly annihilated the Zulu. Needless to say, Shaka was not amused. :lol

Later on I actually learned other advanced technologies such as Gunpowder, Steam Power, and Railroads. It was pretty epic destroying my friends ancient Galleys and Galleons with modern Cruiser Fleets :D

Damn. I didn't think it'd be possible to go that far in the demo. I'm tempted to say pics or it didn't happen, that's just insanity that you got that far in the demo. I played that demo for many many hours till MGS4 came out. Can't wait for the full version to come out in the US.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jtrizzy said:
Damn. I didn't think it'd be possible to go that far in the demo. I'm tempted to say pics or it didn't happen, that's just insanity that you got that far in the demo. I played that demo for many many hours till MGS4 came out. Can't wait for the full version to come out in the US.

It's pretty possible. I got as far as railroad before. Also got cruisers (and if you're the first to research the tech needed for that, you get one as a bonus, so you don't have to wait for one to be constructed).

I was wondering how far it's possible to get in the demo tech wise..anyone got further than rail/steam/gunpowder?

Hammer24

Banned
Got the game yesterday, and I like it. I´m glad they axed the micromanagement, now its much easier to play an MP game and really finish it.

Tntnnbltn

gofreak said:
I was wondering how far it's possible to get in the demo tech wise..anyone got further than rail/steam/gunpowder?
The technologies after Steam/Gunpowder/Rail/Electricity/Printing Press are locked. The only way you get more advanced technologies is through things like Oxford University (gives you either flight or atomic powder).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Gowans007 said:
Play this last night single player and loved it.

My game went great and I toppled everyone around me as the Brits and won by Domination.

The archers are bastards!

Hows the waiting around?

Thats the only thing stopping me from playing online.

Gowans

Ghost said:
Hows the waiting around?

Thats the only thing stopping me from playing online.

you can choose the speed on a game type so I guess its not to bad, I should be off and on over the next week if you fancy a game

Gowans

I had a great multiplayer game going with Hammer till he was pulled away, anyone want in for another session in 25mins?

So far me and Ghost.

I'm really liking the way they have streamed down the game a little to make it a little quicker with a little less farting on, it works really well.

Need to work on my battles in the game I had with Hammer the bastard Germans blindsided me and I was too proud to accept any peace deals with anyone who had wronged me. :lol

Gowans

Just had an epic head to head with Ghost he's still playing I got rolled by the AI.

I thought I got lucky, started on an edge by the sea out of the way of everyone & build up a nice little line of citys all doing well.

Then the Arabs appeared below me, their main city was going to be mine, so many guys died tring to take it and they build up uberguys and army of catapults and destroyed me. At the same time the Indians popped up at the other side and snuk all my citys while my forces were off fighting the Arabs.

All this time Ghost was stuck in a Greek war too tho we tryed to trade some stuff to get better.

After about 90mins I was out.

This game is great online, so addictive and like any other civ a time sink.

Love all the options they have for diplomacy between the teams, in online games you can set up private chats and wheel and deal behind other peoples backs. I can just imagine the four player games and deals been struk.

Need to get more GAF guys playing, come on EuroGAF.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I won the game in the end Gowans ;)

I didnt realise the tile I was attacking the greek city from was a river so I had -50% every time I attacked, once I figured that out they went down hard.

Then I concentrated on restoring the might german nation, erradicating the Arab & Indian incursion, replacing it with a much friendlier Aztec one.

By this point I was fighting horsemen with Cannon so it all went quite smoothly, you'll be pleased to know the Arabs begged for their lives, I didnt oblige.

I have tiny images to prove it (had my camera on the wrong version)

IMAG0011.jpg

My Ranger Tanks taking Deli

IMAG0012.jpg

Indian desperately to fight back, but I had them done in a tech race, my defence in that shot is 52.5 Loyal Riflemen vs 22.5 Veteran catapult army :lol

IMAG0013.jpg

Victory Screen

IMAG0014.jpg

Histograph, you were doing better than me untill you got the Arabs attention

It'd definitely be a laugh with 4 of us, the AI doesn't play the game very well.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Sorry MMaRsu, it was 2am when I finished that game over here, needed sleep.

We should see if we can get a 4 player game going later.

Quick question for anyone who actually has the full game yet.

Are there more technologies listed in the full game than listed in the demo? Didn't seem like that many branches.

Gowans

Yey!!!! Well done Ghost!!!

Glad you kicked those bastards arses! So Glad the Arabs begged :lol

Up for a game (or two) after Top Gear tonight if we can get four of us in.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Sorry Gowans, dont think I'll be able to get on tonight. Any other night this week is good though.

MMaRsu

Gowans007 said:
Yey!!!! Well done Ghost!!!

Glad you kicked those bastards arses! So Glad the Arabs begged :lol

Up for a game (or two) after Top Gear tonight if we can get four of us in.

Uhm when is that done? I'm watching soccer but after that I might play :)

Banned
I can join in if there's a slot free. 'tag is Mr Fee

Like I said, I'm probably not going to be very good though.

traveler

Not Wario
Gah, I want to play with you guys. Need to hurry up and come up with $100 to get my 360 fixed. (I gave up on trying to break it and I don't want to miss out on all 360 gaming from now on)

Gowans

Just finished a almost three hour session with Fee.

He won an economic victory in the end while I was stuck in a war of attrition with the Zulus who built a mirroring nation at the other side of a mountain from me.

I'm sure I have it cracked for next time tho.

Banned
That was a great game. I think I was just lucky in the end to be honest—all of the AIs kept waging war, or demanding 4000+ gold every other turn, and the Egyptians were getting close to taking my second city. I almost cancelled the bank to build some more defensive units.

I need to get my headset sorted though. The connector is loose so sometimes the volume comes in really quietly, or it crackles and I can't make out a thing. Sorry I kept having to ask what it was you were saying.

Gowans

yeah, if only I could have built up that momentum to break through the Zulus, no one else bothered me at all but man I did shit.

2060 and I was still in the dark ages :lol

Next time Fee

Banned
So, I thought I would go for the production achievement—have over 200 production in one city. I started with the Mongolians as they get a production bonus on mountain tiles and managed to build up by far the most production I've had from a city before.

…yet I'm still 50 production short!

9itl4p.jpg

That's probably going to be one of the hardest achievements in the game I reckon.

EDIT: That wasn't so hard after all. Just went back to the game and realised that switching to Communism would give me a 50% production bonus. :D

Should I buy ps3 or 360? I played all the civs on pc, but I kinda sucked even though i stayed up all night playing for 3 days in a row once :lol

FightyF

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Just had an epic head to head with Ghost he's still playing I got rolled by the AI.

I thought I got lucky, started on an edge by the sea out of the way of everyone & build up a nice little line of citys all doing well.

Then the Arabs appeared below me, their main city was going to be mine, so many guys died tring to take it and they build up uberguys and army of catapults and destroyed me. At the same time the Indians popped up at the other side and snuk all my citys while my forces were off fighting the Arabs.

All this time Ghost was stuck in a Greek war too tho we tryed to trade some stuff to get better.

After about 90mins I was out.

This game is great online, so addictive and like any other civ a time sink.

Love all the options they have for diplomacy between the teams, in online games you can set up private chats and wheel and deal behind other peoples backs. I can just imagine the four player games and deals been struk.

Need to get more GAF guys playing, come on EuroGAF.

Sounds great! Really can't wait for this to come out!

Gowans

I became fully addicted to this yesterday.

By pure fluke I started my city in the best area and why the other civs were hassling each other my city became a huge metropolis, I had culture, tec and money spewing out of that place it was great.

In the end I was a slither of winning from any of these three but I chose Alpha Centori just so I could see the animations.

Its so cool when you culture is so good when nearby city's join your civ.

Almyn

Looks like the DS version has been delayed (In Europe at least). It was down for release on Friday, But now most online stores show a release date of the 29th August. Was it ever officially confirmed as having a June release? If it's true i'm actually really disappointed, I was so looking forward to playing this on the ds.

eznark

Banned
I have played the absolute shit out of this demo. After playing it through 4 times on the PS3, I did the same on the xbox and then went and reinstalled Civ4.

This game is an absolute blast and I'll be picking it up for a console and the DS.

This is a demo done right.

Almyn

There is a patch out for the PS3 version now. I don't have a clue what it does. It deosn't fix any of the problems i had with the game. Probably something to do with multiplayer. It's 35mb

The good news this game is spreading virally like no other since Bioshock, loads on my friends list are picking it up it seems and the demo is proving very popular!

Top Bottom