• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

contaygious said:
Should I buy ps3 or 360? I played all the civs on pc, but I kinda sucked even though i stayed up all night playing for 3 days in a row once :lol

That is my problem. I guess I will have to wait for the reviews to see what the pluses and minuses are for each version. I've only tried the 360 version but I know I'm getting the game.

mr_bishiuk said:
The good news this game is spreading virally like no other since Bioshock, loads on my friends list are picking it up it seems and the demo is proving very popular!
That's excellent news. God I wish it was July 9th already.

I have read all the reviews and played both demos, but I can't find anything different in either version. I still don't know which one to buy. Leaning towards 360 for live support.

Banned
contaygious said:
I have read all the reviews and played both demos, but I can't find anything different in either version. I still don't know which one to buy. Leaning towards 360 for live support.
I believe the PS3 version has unlimited saves, whereas the 360 is limited to five. Apparently the 360 one is running a bit better, but even it's not great. There are some graphical glitches which aren't there on the 360 and a bit more aliasing.

The achievements add quite a bit to the game in my opinion (encouraging different play styles etc) so I'd just go for it on 360 if you have both.

I concurr that achievements add quite a bit to this game, you get a different achievement for winning with each civilisation and also victory type. If it was not for that I'd go for domination with Queen Lizzy 1 everytime!

The 5 game save thing is not true I have 10 save games on mine and the instructions mention no limit.

For ps gamers if you have your PS3 setup to 1080p you might want to check out the eurogamer forums apparently the game is cropped on all 4 sides and people are saying you have to reset the PS3 to 720p otherwise you lose about 20% of the game play screen.

Almyn said:
There is a patch out for the PS3 version now. I don't have a clue what it does. It deosn't fix any of the problems i had with the game. Probably something to do with multiplayer. It's 35mb

What problems have you had with the game?

Hammer24

Banned
If there has ever been a game worth a perfect 10 - its this game.
From top notch graphics with lovely animations to strategic depth everything is there. Legendary MP battles, achievement hunting or just the casual whirl - its all in there.
Damn, I´m addicted already. :D

Almyn

AranhaHunter said:
What problems have you had with the game?

Graphical problems. The game has a lot of screen tear, And slowdown. I have had the game slow to a crawl pretty much every game, it was ridiculous. I tried out the 360 demo yesterday just for comparison, And there is a world of difference, At least in the demo. It's smooth for a start, It dosn't slowdown when you start building more than one city or when you zoom out the map. Overall the PS3 version just feels very sluggish. I'm thinking of trading in my PS3 copy and picking it up again on the 360.

I'm aware not many people here have picked up the PS3 vesion, so i'm not sure if anyone has had similar problems, I know someone in this thread already mentioned these problems don't exist when running in SD. But this Kotaku article at least mentions the slowdown on PS3.

http://kotaku.com/5018504/civilization-revolution-review-compromise-or-compromised

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Hammer24 said:
If there has ever been a game worth a perfect 10 - its this game.
From top notch graphics with lovely animations to strategic depth everything is there. Legendary MP battles, achievement hunting or just the casual whirl - its all in there.
Damn, I´m addicted already. :D

Wrong thread?

I like this game, but it's no 10.

I'll Ignore the graphics and concentrate on the gameplay. Mainly they chose the right game elements to cut from Civ 4 but the diplomacy options are WAY too limited, as is the AI, ever since the start of the series one of the seminal moments in this game has been that moment where the AI leader who had been kissing your ass all game suddenly turns on you and that's totally missing here.

Diplomacy badly needs Alliances (which would allow you to enter other civs tiles, and stop you from camping them), ways of trading tech/money without it being a threat, etc etc. The only communication you have with other leaders in this game is rejecting ultimatums, that's a cut too far imo.

Then there are the age old Civ problems, namely the difficulty, to a certain point the game gets harder by getting smarter, and that's great, but once you get to Emperor or Deity it starts making things harder by skewing the combat so you are more likely to lose, which is frustrating and retarded. Especially so when you see the AI struggling 200 years behind you in tech just like it was when you played the easier difficulties.

That said I'll be playing tonight most likely if anyone wants to play some multiplayer.

Hammer24

Banned
Ghost said:
...as is the AI, ever since the start of the series one of the seminal moments in this game has been that moment where the AI leader who had been kissing your ass all game suddenly turns on you and that's totally missing here.

Well, I had some nice moments, when the AI all of a sudden started to kick my ass. Badly. I´ve got the feeling, the harder you set the difficulty, the deeper the gameplay and the better the AI gets.

Diplomacy badly needs Alliances (which would allow you to enter other civs tiles, and stop you from camping them), ways of trading tech/money without it being a threat, etc etc. The only communication you have with other leaders in this game is rejecting ultimatums, that's a cut too far imo.

Thats a point I agree with, more tech trading would be nice.

Then there are the age old Civ problems, namely the difficulty, to a certain point the game gets harder by getting smarter, and that's great, but once you get to Emperor or Deity it starts making things harder by skewing the combat so you are more likely to lose, which is frustrating and retarded. Especially so when you see the AI struggling 200 years behind you in tech just like it was when you played the easier difficulties.

Well, its a Civ game *shrugs*, never bothered me in earlier iterations, and it doesn´t now. I mainly pick the difficulty level according to the time I have for gaming. The easier difficulties are nice for a quick whirl, the harder make for some tight sweaty hours of gameplay, especially in the scenarios.

That said I'll be playing tonight most likely if anyone wants to play some multiplayer.

Add me if you like, GT Hammer2424

Banned
Almyn said:
Graphical problems. The game has a lot of screen tear, And slowdown. I have had the game slow to a crawl pretty much every game, it was ridiculous. I tried out the 360 demo yesterday just for comparison, And there is a world of difference, At least in the demo. It's smooth for a start, It dosn't slowdown when you start building more than one city or when you zoom out the map. Overall the PS3 version just feels very sluggish. I'm thinking of trading in my PS3 copy and picking it up again on the 360.

I'm aware not many people here have picked up the PS3 vesion, so i'm not sure if anyone has had similar problems, I'm know someone in this thread already mentioned these problems don't exist when running in DS. But this Kotaku article at least mentions the slowdown on PS3.

http://kotaku.com/5018504/civilization-revolution-review-compromise-or-compromised
It slows down noticeably when things get busy near the end of a game on 360, but it's not unplayably bad. (though I do find I get quite bad eye strain)

Had a brilliant game on the second-highest difficulty today. First time I had tried it, and I was surprised at how well everything went. Ended up either converting or taking over most of the other cities, and had enough gold/culture that I had the option to build both the World Bank and the UN. Won it as a technology victory in the end, getting the highest rank above Winston Churchill (do the ranks have any real meaning/point?) but then the game crashed when I went to check on how many great people I had left to get. (just two more to go) I'm not sure if there's an achievement for just winning games on that difficulty or not, but I didn't get it if there are. :(

After having spent a lot of time with it, I'm really disappointed with the AI to be honest. While it's only one game I played, I saw virtually no increase in difficulty on this setting (actually I did better than I had in my last couple of games on the lower one) and when I had the whole world map revealed, there were three friendly villages literally a single tile away from enemy cities — they simply hadn't bothered to go for them. In fact the only time I've ever seen the enemy go for them is when I've been heading towards one myself and they happen to be closer.

I agree with you completely Ghost—the diplomacy options are far too limited. Even though I've not spent much time with Civ 4 at all (only 3/4 hours really, Rev is really my first Civ game) it feels very limited, and there have been times in multiplayer where I've wanted to team up with someone or help them out but I can't cross their borders without waging war.

The size of the maps is starting to get a little annoying as well. I wish there was an option for larger ones. You're never that far away from an enemy city.

Certainly, I think it's a good attempt at bringing Civ to consoles, but I'm already hoping they announce a sequel/expansion with an optimised engine and add a bit more depth/functionality to the gameplay.

EDIT: Oh, another thing about the AI—when you hit certain conditions, they will always wage war on you. Eg, you're close to getting the world bank, build a nuke, hit a certain amount of culture etc. But sometimes they just do very stupid and annoying things. Eg send over tons of low-level units that simply don't have a chance of defeating your armies, even if they get lucky. I've not found an option to skip battle animations so this can go on for quite some time.

5wf49v.jpg

(the orange/brown units are mine)

This is an extreme example, but I was going for the one-city achievement at the time, and was trying to get a cultural victory. (ended up building the world bank instead when time was running out) Apparently you can get the achievement even if you capture/convert enemy cities, but I didn't realise it at the time. (went out of my way to limit culture until they all had walls)

So I built up a massive army of the most powerful units, and the only thing they could possibly send that would make a dent is three bombers combined… which they did once. Other than that, they couldn't touch me. And yet they constantly sent over single bombers, low-level ships, fighters etc. As everyone was against me at that point, it was taking minutes before it would get back to being my turn.

oneHeero

For those with the game. Hows the MP? Lagfree? Is it just 1v1? Or can you have multiple people.

I'd love a 2v2 option, or something more, would be so fucken awesome!!!

oneHeero said:
For those with the game. Hows the MP? Lagfree? Is it just 1v1? Or can you have multiple people.

PS3 version here.
MP now is lagfree. Playing with a bunch (3) of my friends on team matches. You can choose your team. 2 vs 2 rocks :D
One thing bothers me. Everyone can choose the same Civ. It can be quite strange in game. Especially if someone declares war to a Civ...

tahrikmili said:
Has the resolution been confirmed? The demo looked sub-HD, and I posted about it but heard no confirmations, so..

Oh fuck off. If there's a single game on the planet where graphics mean nothing its civ.

oneHeero said:

360 is lag free, still as its turned based it wouldn't matter anyway?

MrNyarlathotep said:
Oh fuck off. If there's a single game on the planet where graphics mean nothing its civ.

Graphics mean just as much in Civ as they do in any other game. And how much you enjoy the game regardless of its technical achievement is completely irrelevant to my question.

Also, I didnt mean to insult your mom, sorry about that.

lupinko

mr_bishiuk said:
For ps gamers if you have your PS3 setup to 1080p you might want to check out the eurogamer forums apparently the game is cropped on all 4 sides and people are saying you have to reset the PS3 to 720p otherwise you lose about 20% of the game play screen.

They should patch this, I don't want to dumb down my TV's resolution. :(

I wonder if the NTSC version got any fixes with its one month delay (probably not and will wait for same patches I'm guessing).

tahrikmili said:
Graphics mean just as much in Civ as they do in any other game. And how much you enjoy the game regardless of its technical achievement is completely irrelevant to my question.

No, they don't. Rougly speaking, the more abstracted a game, the less important the graphical fidelity. This is why the graphics in Tetris are less important than the graphics in Advance Wars, which are less important than the graphics in Civilization, which are less important than the graphics in Grand Theft Auto, at least from a fidelity (and, to an extent, artistic) standpoint.

Obviously it's crucial that the interface elements of Tetris are clear and clean enough to communicate the game's gameplay, but from a "graphical" point of view the way most gamers understand the term, they are massively less important than in most games.

Individuals may assign more or less importance to graphics generally, but speaking broadly from a design perspective, it's absurd to suggest that every game and every type of game rests equally on its visual fidelity or style.

Comparing Civilization to Tetris has totally sold me your argument. Now I'm also convinced that Firaxis have absolutely wasted resources updating their graphics engine since Civilization 1. I mean, what's the point?

pringles

So, what is everyone's favorite civ?
I like the Aztecs with their units healing after combat win, which is really useful.

I haven't even tried MP yet, but I'm loving the game so far.

TxdoHawk

Played the demo, I dig it! I will definitely pick this up, and I hope that when Firaxis does Civ 5, they go for somewhere between this and Civ 4 complexity-wise.

The bright colourful cartoon graphics really add to the game, i'm not sure i'd enjoy it anywhere near as much if they were taken out even if "the mechanics are the same"

Still the DS version does interest me for when I get bored of the full version and have a holiday on the horizon

Aurelius

Just played my first game. It lasted until 1625 AC. But I will start again, since I made some dumb decisions early on. The game is fast, maybe a bit too fast. But I'm enjoying it.

oneHeero

peacemountain said:
PS3 version here.
MP now is lagfree. Playing with a bunch (3) of my friends on team matches. You can choose your team. 2 vs 2 rocks :D
One thing bothers me. Everyone can choose the same Civ. It can be quite strange in game. Especially if someone declares war to a Civ...
HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE +1

EDIT: Additional ? - When doing a 2v2 MP, are there AI controlled teams as well? Or just 2v2?

tahrikmili said:
Comparing Civilization to Tetris has totally sold me your argument.
Good, because if you don't willingly refuse to actually understand the point I'm making, it's a solid argument.

Now I'm also convinced that Firaxis have absolutely wasted resources updating their graphics engine since Civilization 1. I mean, what's the point?
I was making a point about relative importance, and obviously never claimed graphics are irrelevant.

SRG01

So compared to Civ4 AI, CivRev is definitely easier? That's kind of disappointing. I might still pick up this game though.

tahrikmili said:

Also, I didnt mean to insult your mom, sorry about that.

See, the reason I told you to fuck off was because where I find people more concerned about pixel counting and 'sub HD resolution' crap mildy irritating when they're talking about a game which is explicitly appealing to graphics whores and blinged out with post processing effects, bloom and shaders, I find it utterly retarded to try and bring up that bullshit about a game which is all about the mechanics and nothing else.

Don't get me wrong; CivRev is in it's own way a beautiful game from an artistic point of view, and has superb UI work, but if you're worried about how many pixels it's pushing or how many fps it's running at you are totally missing the fucking point.

I finished reading the EGM review of the game, and one of the reviewers, Jeff, who is a seasoned Civ player, says the game will kick your ass on the higher difficulties. Which is good because that means the achievements will be a challenge.

SRG01 said:
So compared to Civ4 AI, CivRev is definitely easier? That's kind of disappointing. I might still pick up this game though.
I beat the game within the span of the demo, but it was default set on chieften.

I do like the streamlining of the game. I wish they had a PC version of it because sometimes the controller doesn't work too well for it. I could do things a lot quicker with the mouse.

oneHeero

Iaido Sword said:
I beat the game within the span of the demo, but it was default set on chieften.

I do like the streamlining of the game. I wish they had a PC version of it because sometimes the controller doesn't work too well for it. I could do things a lot quicker with the mouse.
My friend talked about how he smacked up the demo already and when I told him I didnt he LOL @ me. Than I found out he was playing on the easiest level :\ I was like bitch play on Warlord and try it. He was o and got smacked lol.

I cant wait for the game, paid in pull and so look forward to the online aspect and 2v2. I'll be playing this till Socom/R2/LBL easily.

Dire

Ghost said:
I like this game, but it's no 10.

What are you talking about? You can buy and sell tech with any friendly civilization and when you talk to other leaders they often drop little bits of information about other civilizations if they like you (eg - Marco Polo is in <city> of <civilization name>), you can pay them to invade other civilizations, etc.

I'm really enjoying the changes on the console. Getting rid of starvation just opens up so many new strategic ideas and really expands the potential in city specialization, and the freedom to build hoards of cities is just plain fun. And if anything getting rid of the ability to enter cultural borders of allies adds a new complexity to the game as alliances can can have very negative consequences and you can't just arbitrarily ally somebody to scope out their territory planning to invade a few turns later.

Banned
Dax01 said:
I finished reading the EGM review of the game, and one of the reviewers, Jeff, who is a seasoned Civ player, says the game will kick your ass on the higher difficulties. Which is good because that means the achievements will be a challenge.
So far, I've worked my way up to the second highest difficulty and haven't really hit that much of a challenge. I've gone for at least one of each type of victory before moving onto the next and the progression has been pretty smooth so far. I've got a couple left on this setting and then just deity. (which may provide more of a challenge) A lot of the extra difficulty just seems to be from your units doing worse in combat though. At lower difficulties you might win fairly consistently if your attack is at least 2/3 points above an enemy's defence, but on higher difficulties there's a good chance you might lose. (I've seen some ridiculous things like tanks being destroyed by pikemen…)

I'm now considering trading the game in, as it's just not really changing much as I've progressed apart from that. I thought that the harder difficulties would have you using different strategies or introduce new mechanics (going from the easiest to the next up did) but it hasn't.

It's a great game, but I'm just not sure there's much life left in it for me.

I don't have all the achievements yet, and am one great person away from getting that one. I'm having a hard time getting Sargon to appear though — I've even done games where I've been at the winning conditions for ages, stolen any great people other Civs get, had over 2000 culture per turn, and yet he still hasn't appeared.

I just don't know if I can be bothered with the four wins on deity now, or the win by 1000 AD goal. I should point out that I have spent a lot of time playing the game though, more than most here probably would in a three week period I imagine, and games in general don't seem to hold my attention as long as they used to. (MGS4 only lasted me a weekend really, GTA4 was a week) A couple of friends that picked it up around the same time are starting to feel the same though. I think it's time for me to move onto Civ4 or something else.

bill0527

I'm kind of new to the whole Civilization genre and I just downloaded Civ 4 for the PC off Steam last week. The ONE thing that annoys me to no end is how a fucking 14th Century Longbowman can take down my 20th Century chopper Gunship. Is this type of gameplay still found in the console versions? I have no idea what the designers justification is for this, but I feel like I should be rewarded for advancing much faster than the AI and my tanks should be steamrolling guys holding spears - and they do probably 75% of the time, but that other 25% when they destroy my modern weaponry is annoying.

Gowans

So when does this hit the US? next week?

I got distracted by Battlefield but I'm gona have to spruce up my skills again and get some more 4 player gaf games going.

Then next week we have to have some big games with deals being struck ,waves wages and grudges held.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
mr_bishiuk said:
The bright colourful cartoon graphics really add to the game, i'm not sure i'd enjoy it anywhere near as much if they were taken out even if "the mechanics are the same"
you know what? really? I agree with you completely. I am a HUGE fan of PC Civ games, but playing through the demo I the graphic style quickly endeared itself to me. Still tons of personality but adding a little flavor to the game.

As soon as my copy of GH:A goes on ebay I'm using those funds to grab this for the PS3.

Hammer24

Banned
andrewfee said:
I'm now considering trading the game in, as it's just not really changing much as I've progressed apart from that.

Just hold on to it for two more weeks, until the americans come online. We´ll get some great MP games going, just ask Gowans... ;)

Top Bottom