• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

Dire

The zulus and aztects are also two civilizations that ensure a generally straight forward victory on deity. Both because they have very strong early era bonuses that ensure you get more than your fair share of the barbarians (+1 movement for zulu for faster exploration / instant healing for aztects meaning no downtime for healing), and the insanely strong +50% gold production later era bonus for both civilizations which is usually enough to ensure easily development of a mega-gold city.

Deku

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Yes, the AI will "fight" each other for a city. However, the AI will not wage holy-motherfucking-war against itself like they will assuredly do against you on Deity. On Deity, as soon as they feel like it, the AI will demand something from you. If you have a great person actually in a city, your only choice is to give him up, or face never ending swarms. If you don't have one, they will just ask for tech, then tech, then tech, then decide they've taken everything they can from you and swarm.

Not only do they swarm you, but they dominate battles they had no business winning. 48 defense (me) vs. 22 offense (AI) TWICE in a row. That's the worst I've seen, but they routinely win battles they shouldn't when they are determined to take a city from you. They develop large numbers of troops, yet somehow continue building other things in the cities.

I'm all for a challenge, but it should never be a challenge based on ridiculous shit. Show the AI how to place cities better, show them how to improve culture, show them how to improve science, but do NOT just have them pull bullshit.

Diety difficulty in every Civ game has been about insane AI bonuses not sane matched games. Also Sid is behind CivRev and his idea of 'fair' is a lot different from Soren Johnson's idea of Fair. (Soren did the AI for Civ3, designed and also did the AI for Civ4)

The approach Civ3/4 took to AI/human interaction was much more hands off. For example, the AI doesn't know who is the human player when it makes decisions like who to attack.

That said, play it on a difficulty you find challenging, and stick to it. I find emperor quite challenging as I go through all the Civs and try to achieve victories for each under all 4 conditions and work on variants like OCC. (one city challenge)

If you're not having fun, there's no point.

Anyone else notice that if you are in democracy you can still egg on other civs to go to war haha. Like i just keep talking to the other civs and they just straight up declare ware because they hate me so much and then I just defend myself and totally get around congress overturning a decleration of war. It's sweet! If they offer me peace I have ot take it because of stupid congress (like real congress can overturn bush lol), but then I just talk to the civ again and they instantly declare war again lol.

I'm so used to playing Civ4, this feels like bizarroworld. Games flying by in no time at all, a whole new set of playing styles to learn and the strangest AI I've ever encountered. Seriously, when I drop a nuclear bomb on my opponent, I expect them to shut up the fuck up and come groveling, pleading for peace, but not here. After detonating a warhead over Berlin, the very next turn, Bismark had the audacity to threaten me and demand 4000 gold, otherwise I'd 'suffer the wrath of his single archer unit'. Hello McFly, I just wiped out half your country... you should be licking my shoes and begging to eat my shit, you're in no position to demand anything!

Even though I've enjoyed the few games I played, I just wish the tussling aspects were turned down. Having each leader declaring war on me each and every turn is very tiresome, especially as they'd already declared war on me 4 turns previous and hadn't made a truce yet, you don't have to declare war TWICE, I heard you the first time.

I just wish there were a few options to tweak like in Civ4; turn down the war aspect and make the game take twice as long and I'd be very content. Although, I'm just happy I can now Civ wherever I go... DS is full of win.

contaygious said:
Anyone else notice that if you are in democracy you can still egg on other civs to go to war haha.

Yesterday, I wanted to declare war on the Greeks (they were teching too fast, and I wanted to trick them into going fundamentalism), but was a democracy. So I called up my girl Cleopatra, and paid her 100 gold to go to war with the Greeks. They switch to fundamentalism (score!), and then Alex offers me 71 gold to join him in his war against the Egyptians.

I felt like kind of a prick, but they had two relatively unguarded cities right on my border.

Right after I took those cities, Alexander declares war on me. Almost lost a city since I had been distracted by my Egypt conquest, but things ultimately worked out.

Still, it was a fun bit of backstabbery all around.

Bamelin said:
How do you guys deal with early era rushes in multiplayer games (Zulu for example)

The Greeks pikemen are basically unbeatable until the modern area. Otherwise an archer army with a barracks should amply defend against a Zulu rush.

Hootie

TheHeretic said:
The Greeks pikemen are basically unbeatable until the modern area. Otherwise an archer army with a barracks should amply defend against a Zulu rush.

As for the archer army...by the time you build barracks, research Bronze Working, and build 3 units of archers, the Zulu may already be at your doorstep or worse.

The Greek Pikemen are a sure bet when it comes to city defense, though. As you said, nobody would be able to put a dent in them until they can build stuff like tanks and modern infantry.

Hootie said:
As for the archer army...by the time you build barracks, research Bronze Working, and build 3 units of archers, the Zulu may already be at your doorstep or worse.

The Greek Pikemen are a sure bet when it comes to city defense, though. As you said, nobody would be able to put a dent in them until they can build stuff like tanks and modern infantry.

Build two archers, a barracks, then a third archer. When you merge them you'll get an elite army.

An archer army defending beats a warrior army attacking. They both cost the some production (10) so you shouldn't have a problem. If someone is going all out offense try sending your initial warrior unit sneakily behind for (potentially) a free instant victory!

If you always assume the enemy will rush you should never lose your capital. Branching out can be hard though.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hootie said:

I played a game last night where I send my warrior unit exploring and barbarian village destroying. I build a second warrior unit to do the same thing in the opposite direction.

My second warrior unit ran into a Zulu army it was like 10 - 15 turns into the game. My warriors went down, I rushed a warrior at my capital but they had no chance against the army. My first warrior unit was too far away to make it back in time.

I was sort of pissed because I felt like the only way I could have avoided this happening was to build a warrior army at home before making any moves at all ... and in the meantime all the exploration and barbarian gold would go to everyone else.

Tmac

Finally managed to win my emperor first game. I started well (rushed science to get republic asap then tank), but complete lost myself in the middle and almost blew it up. I didnt made the change to democracy wich let other civs to catch up, and did not rushed other military based sciences. In the end it worked out, domination victory with tons of artilliary. Btw i beat winston churchil for the first time also.

Next stop, deity difficult :D

I am completing all civilizations on Warlord difficulty (currently playing as the Zulu and have two more civs to got after) and then I will move onto King difficulty.

Edit: Just got the achievement for unlocking all Great Persons!:D

oneHeero

Bamelin said:
I played a game last night where I send my warrior unit exploring and barbarian village destroying. I build a second warrior unit to do the same thing in the opposite direction.

My second warrior unit ran into a Zulu army it was like 10 - 15 turns into the game. My warriors went down, I rushed a warrior at my capital but they had no chance against the army. My first warrior unit was too far away to make it back in time.

I was sort of pissed because I felt like the only way I could have avoided this happening was to build a warrior army at home before making any moves at all ... and in the meantime all the exploration and barbarian gold would go to everyone else.
You have the right idea but just send the 1st warrior out, 2nd warrior either rush it w/ gold and explore or let it slowly build and keep it in base. When your 3rd warrior is close let 2nd one leave.

Never leave it unattened especially if playing on harder levels. My demo would end in 5 mins when I did that :\

Dyno

I've come to realise that there are Plan A and Plan B victories.

If you're expanding nicely and taking over cities then chances are you can achieve a Plan A victory, meaning Domination or Technology. If however you're finding your expantion blocked or it looks like it's going to be too costly to wage war then turtle in and go for a Plan B victory, meaning Cultural or Economic. This concept at home is ensuring a victory on every game we play.

I got a strange message for the first time today. Usually when you wipe out a civilization you get the "fortunes have failed me - my last city taken - the _____ will rise again!" type message. Last night I took the Mongol capital by force and he had two cities nearby that immediately started flashing a cultural flip. So I simply built a temple in the capital and sure enough a couple rounds later both cities flipped in the same turn. Poof! No more Mongol cities but not by force. So that's when I got a different message.

"Well it looks like you won't have the Mongols to kick around anymore." with some more crying. My wife was all "Ahhh the poor Gengis, I feel bad for him."

fortunzfavor

Neo Member
marvelharvey said:
I'm so used to playing Civ4, this feels like bizarroworld. Games flying by in no time at all, a whole new set of playing styles to learn and the strangest AI I've ever encountered. Seriously, when I drop a nuclear bomb on my opponent, I expect them to shut up the fuck up and come groveling, pleading for peace, but not here. After detonating a warhead over Berlin, the very next turn, Bismark had the audacity to threaten me and demand 4000 gold, otherwise I'd 'suffer the wrath of his single archer unit'. Hello McFly, I just wiped out half your country... you should be licking my shoes and begging to eat my shit, you're in no position to demand anything!

Since you've already launched your first and last nuke, his behavior seems fairly rational to me.

Tobor

Anyone have a good strategy for starting out on an island? I've tried a few different methods, some successful, some very unsuccessful, and I'm curious what everyone else does.

Also, is an isolated island a good time to go for the 1 city achievement? Seems like it would be.

Okay I just picked up the game and instead of wading through this thread for the answer I'll just ask. Which is the best starting difficulty level against the CPU? (Not that idiot ready Chieftain level) I always start on whatever difficulty is the most balanced on the PC with less cheating and and then work my way up so which difficulty level is that on Civ Rev so I can start. Thx in advance.

Stoney Mason said:
Okay I just picked up the game and instead of wading through this thread for the answer I'll just ask. Which is the best starting difficulty level against the CPU? (Not that idiot ready Chieftain level) I always start on whatever difficulty is the most balanced on the PC with less cheating and and then work my way up so which difficulty level is that on Civ Rev so I can start. Thx in advance.

King is the hardest difficulty in which the CPU doesn't really cheat. Deity gives the CPU massive advantages and by that stage you really should be playing online.

TheHeretic said:
King is the hardest difficulty in which the CPU doesn't really cheat. Deity gives the CPU massive advantages and by that stage you really should be playing online.

Thx. One more quick question while I'm at it. There is no way to create unit stacks with different kinds of units like in the PC version right?

Hootie

Dax01 said:
Edit: Just got the achievement for unlocking all Great Persons!:D

Damn you, Dax. I've been trying to get Agamemnon for days now, without luck. I'm going to bitch slap that bastard for being so elusive once (if) I get him.

I found some really good "Great Person Farming" technique on YouTube; it really works well but after doing it for hours I've lost the will to fight on for now.

Here's the link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=F5nNFH1fYFY

Hootie said:
Damn you, Dax. I've been trying to get Agamemnon for days now, without luck. I'm going to bitch slap that bastard for being so elusive once (if) I get him.

I found some really good "Great Person Farming" technique on YouTube; it really works well but after doing it for hours I've lost the will to fight on for now.

I'm simultaneously glad and bummed that I got the PS3 version.

Anyway, I'll admit that the AI is whack.

I play in King, and every single game Ghandi is the first person to demand something and declare war when I inevitably refuse.

I just figured out the glory of a powerful navy backing up your armies. Wow. Keeping a fleet parked next to your home city makes those archers pretty damn invincible--and taking one along when you go to war really helps negate the defensive advantage.

Hootie

SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm simultaneously glad and bummed that I got the PS3 version.

Anyway, I'll admit that the AI is whack.

I play in King, and every single game Ghandi is the first person to demand something and declare war when I inevitably refuse.

I just figured out the glory of a powerful navy backing up your armies. Wow. Keeping a fleet parked next to your home city makes those archers pretty damn invincible--and taking one along when you go to war really helps negate the defensive advantage.

The achievement system really does add a lot of playing to time to some games, this one in particular. Since they have achievements for beating a game as each civ, naturally I went ahead and did that. I never planned on playing as the Arabs or the Mongols, but looking back they actually are very powerful in their own rights.

As for Ghandi, I heard somewhere that his aggression in the game is sort of an inside joke at Firaxis and he's been like that in all of the other games.

And I totally agree on the navy support. They are both invaluable in city protection and conquering cities as well. Nothing like attacking a heavily fortified city with a Knight Army with a Cruiser Fleet backing you up to give you that invaluable advantage. :D

Tmac

Tobor said:
Anyone have a good strategy for starting out on an island? I've tried a few different methods, some successful, some very unsuccessful, and I'm curious what everyone else does.

Also, is an isolated island a good time to go for the 1 city achievement? Seems like it would be.

My guess is, you should rush to research republic an colonise real quickly.

Hootie said:

How many achievements do you have for the game?
Edit: Nvm.

Dax01 said:
Edit: What does it mean for your city to produce 200 resources per turn?
It means just what it says--your city is producing 200 of whatever resource per turn. If your city has 200 hammers, it's producing 200 production resources per turn, so if a wonder costs 250 resources to build then you would have it built in two turns.

I feel like this might not be what you're asking though since it seems like an overly obvious answer.

Chris Remo said:
It means just what it says--your city is producing 200 of whatever resource per turn. If your city has 200 hammers, it's producing 200 production resources per turn, so if a wonder costs 250 resources to build then you would have it built in two turns.

I had to look up what it meant by resources on xbox360achievements.org and I saw the hammer in the icon representing the achievement and knew it meant 200 production.

I have no idea how to get a city to produce 200 production per turn. Anybody know?

Hootie

Dax01 said:

All except for the Great People one. =(

Dax01 said:
I had to look up what it meant by resources on xbox360achievements.org and I saw the hammer in the icon representing the achievement and knew it meant 200 production.

I have no idea how to get a city to produce 200 production per turn. Anybody know?

It's really tough, but someone over at *shiver* Gamefaqs posted a great strategy that I used to get the achievement:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=941684&topic=43819774

Hootie

Dax01 said:
Okay, one more civilization to go: Ghandi and the Indians. Going to try and get that 200 production achievement while I am at it.

You'd be REALLY better off with the Americans. Once you reach the Modern Era, factories triple production. If it weren't for that boost, I would not have gotten 200 production in my city.

Cantaloup

Dax01 said:

Here are some tips:

1. You need a city with access to lots of mountains and hills, preferably with some good food generating tiles as well. You'll build a workshop, iron mine, and factory here, and don't forget that you can convert excess population into +1 hammers with tradesmen. So an aqueduct is also useful to grow the city as large as possible.

2. Communism gives you a +50% production bonus, which helps a lot.

3. Certain civs have various production bonuses. As mentioned, Americans get 3x production from factories. England and Spain both get +1 hammer from hills and Germany gets +1 hammer from forests.

So, the only game I've actually lost so far (back on King Difficulty) was with the Mongols. I'm now on Emperor difficulty, have handily won a few games on this difficulty, and I randomly got the Mongols again, and I think I'm going to lose this game.

How the hell do you use these guys?

All the extra free cities sounded awesome, but it never works out that way. They start at 1 population, and that means they don't have any production for the first however many turns of their existence it takes for them to grow. They tend to be positioned terribly (one of my cities will never have any production supplied from the landscape, period. Almost all food, with a tiny bit of trade). Barbarian cities are always on top of a resource, and now that they are my cities they don't get the resource. They rarely have any other resources in range either.

In the early game, especially at these higher difficulty levels, I'm just producing troops like crazy to defend my over extended empire. Since I don't get gold from the sacked barbarian cities (or troops, or tech, just the city), I have no money to rush anything (and no free settler to position a good city). I tend to generate WAY less trade than I do with any other empire, so I'm in last place in Tech (almost always in first, or at least the top two).

Anyway, anyone have good success with these guys yet? I can't imagine winning anything BUT a domination victory with them, and even that seems out of reach on these higher difficulty levels, due to my much slower tech than my opponents (and it probably doesn't help that I started next to the Aztec and Zulu, with China the tech-meisters in the game).

fortunzfavor

Neo Member
I've had great success with the mongols. I can win handily with them at emperor, though I can't at deity yet (unless you count the Beta Centauri Scenario--which is practically cheating).

Sometimes you get screwed on location/resources, but it's all about the numbers. You aren't trying to get 100% of your free cities in the perfect spot, but if you get half in good locations, and if you get a decent number, it's a brilliant advantage. And remember, you don't HAVE take the bad ones. If no one else drops an interior barb for you, you can always take them out later in the game when you're less concerned about how you will defend them. If a resource poor barb is right next to an enemy city, leave it be unless you intend to take the enemy city first, or unless you can buy your defenses flat out.

Most of my mongol victories have been through Culture.

Woot, currently have the 9th best Emperor score for the GOTW (I'm bonbu). Could have ended it a lot sooner with a higher score too, but I needed an economic victory before I could move on to deity, and figured I might as well do that now.

Also, unrelated comment: I have a tough time deciding between Leonardo's Workshop and The East India Trading Company as greatest wonder, but they are always my priority once I hit that general region of the game. +1 trade per sea square empire wide is insane, and lasts pretty far into the game too (flight kills it). If you time Leonardo's for just after the completion of combustion/automobile, you can have a suddenly very deadly army too.

Also, got the 200 production drunkard whatever achievement too. American factories are ridiculous.

CzarTim

I got it yesterday.

My two issues are:

No open borders / alliances. I became an ally with someone online and we actually had to declare war in order to help each other out (send troops across borders to fight, etc.)

There's also a complete lack of being able to trade whatever you want. This technology only thing is bull shit.

As a hardcore player of the PC games these are noticeable flaws, but other than that it's fun and paced well.

Yeah, the mongols are pretty shit. Online if another civilization is on the same body of land as you, you are going to have one of your barbarian cities flipped from the get go.

ElyrionX

Ok, I'm going to pick this game up this week. For the last time:

PS3 or 360? I don't care about online and all I'm concerned about are the featuresets and the technical issues. Does the PS3 version really have more slowdown compared to the 360 one?

Dyno

Played two Emperor games this weekend. Both were amazing.

I played India for the cultural win and I could do no wrong. Everyone was pounding on me constantly and I had to shuffle troops around like crazy, resulting in tons of elite units and Great Generals. Ships chased one of my ships across the world where it had a rendevous with the Lost City of Atlantus. It was such a great experience overall. It was a Civ game with true heroics. I really captured the imagination.

Then I played Spanish for the economic win. Terrible from the get-go and as France culture-flipped my city only for me to conquor them back. The Greeks started sending spaceship parts and was going to win. In a great display of military logistics I wiped out the french and sent all my troops toward Athens on various boats. I got Advanced Flight from Oxford University and that put my armies on par with the Greeks. I nuked Athens only to learn that they had built the nuke defense! Nonetheless I took their capital and denied them the techno win.

I've now won all four victory types on Emperor and started a game on Diety. Great start but suddenly the Mongols have cruisers and cannons in the Medievil era. Not good...

Dyno

ElyrionX said:
Ok, I'm going to pick this game up this week. For the last time:

PS3 or 360? I don't care about online and all I'm concerned about are the featuresets and the technical issues. Does the PS3 version really have more slowdown compared to the 360 one?

Having not seen the 360 version I can tell you there is a bit of slowdown on the PS3. It will momentarily freeze between moves or when a menu screen is called up. Since Civ. is really nothing more than a boardgame I find it to be a non-issue. I don't feel it detracts from the game in the least.

I picked the PS3 because I didn't want my launch 360 to get all this use. My wife has fallen in love with the game and some days we switch off, meaning the PS3 is on for hours and hours.

Eric WK

Dax01 said:
Got the 200 production achievement yesterday!:D

Heh, me too. I basically used the Americans on Chieftain method and for the longest time I had a full city, surrounded by like six hills/mountains and got it up to like 195 and it stuck there. So I was mildly freaking out and then I realized I'm a moron and hadn't switched to Communism. :lol

pringles

Had a pretty awesome game on Deity as the japanese.

I won a technology victory by 1988 AD, despite losing two cities early on and being invaded by a crazy amount of units towards the end. From about 1000AD to the end I was sure I wouldn't win, and I honestly don't really know how I was able to hold on.

Now I'm going for the economic and domination wins.. economic shouldn't be a problem but domination feel like it could be pretty tough.

nyong

Banned
Dax01 said:
Achievement really add a lot of replay value to this game.

Just got the cultural victory on King difficulty or higher achievement.

If they ever add trophy support for the PS3 version I plan to pick it up. The demo seemed fun.

fin

Yeah it's a great game. Dax lets set up a game tonight!

I had a weird game on the weekend. I won by domination but I never invaded any countries. They just kept attacking my cities and I kicked the shit out of them. Then all of a sudden it said I won by domination.

Top Bottom