• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

cjtiger300 said:
This is my first Civ game and it is addictive as hell! Is Sid Meier's Pirate on the PSP just as good?

I found Pirates! on the PSP to be close to the definitive version. Looks just like the XBOX and PC versions, just at lower resolution, and the gameplay itself was a blast on the go.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, the PSP version of Pirates is arguably the best.

I just picked up the DS version (why oh why wasn't there a PSP version) but haven't opened the shrink-wrap, yet.

FightyF

Banned
Dax01 said:
With the one city achievement, does it count when you acquire another city culturally and through conquest?

I didn't know, so I stayed away from doing any of that. The way it was worded, was that you had to win with only one city, so that's what I did.

I barely won. I sent out my space ship the same turn as the Japanese, but I did mine earlier in the turn. We both had the same ETA, but again, I was earlier in the turn so I won.

Deku

Banned
Chris Remo said:
Yeah I find it hard to justify building wonders that can become obsolete, unless I'm going for a cultural victory. It's so heartbreaking when they become worthless, especially if you were relying on their bonuses. I've had it happen the turn after I finally finished building them. :(

Stonehenge is one of the earliest wonders and gives double effect for temples, great for GP farming. Shakespear's is less impressive but it will count towards your VC as well if you're going for cultural.

The trick is to not research the techs that will make it obsolete and let an AI get to it.

Gattsu25 said:
Yeah, the PSP version of Pirates is arguably the best.

I just picked up the DS version (why oh why wasn't there a PSP version) but haven't opened the shrink-wrap, yet.

I know people at Firaxis. I've been giving them a lot of unsolicited suggestions about bringing it to the Wii and PSP as if it comes to one, it will most certainly come to the other due to the asset sharing bonus.

That said, don't knock on the DS version until you've played it. I've found myself using the touch screen a lot and prefer it to controlling it by buttons. It's a great portable Civ, arguably one of the best strategy games on the DS library.

Gamefly has this on 'very low' availability on my queue so i finally broke down and got a copy of it :lol, installing right now. :D
So is a tech victory really tough to achieve? for some reason thats the first thing im aiming for, but i may be in for a rude awakening in the process.

Dax01 said:
It's very good to hear, though.
Oh yeah, the more people that get the game, the better it will be. It's funny because at the couple gamestops that i was in today, the employees were saying its a really good seller.
In fact, i had to go 2 GS because it was sold out on one, go figure.

Dax01 said:
With the one city achievement, does it count when you acquire another city culturally and through conquest?
If you take another city militarily, you can't get the achievement. If you flip one culturally, you can. I was really freaked out when, by the end of the game, my culture border was absolutely freaking massive and I flipped a couple cities, but it ended up fine.

Gattsu25

Banned
Deku said:
That said, don't knock on the DS version until you've played it. I've found myself using the touch screen a lot and prefer it to controlling it by buttons. It's a great portable Civ, arguably one of the best strategy games on the DS library.
Visuals and interface, aside, the core gameplay remains unchanged compared to the next gen versions?

Either way, guess I'll play this a bit before I sleep.

Chris Remo said:
If you take another city militarily, you can't get the achievement. If you flip one culturally, you can. I was really freaked out when, by the end of the game, my culture border was absolutely freaking massive and I flipped a couple cities, but it ended up fine.
Alright, thanks.

Deku

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Visuals and interface, aside, the core gameplay remains unchanged compared to the next gen versions?

Either way, guess I'll play this a bit before I sleep.

Unchanged. Same units, wonder, buildings, civs, era bonus etc. Same GOTW map too, though its unranked, but you get to pick your own Civ.

There are some omissions. A few UI screens missing. No civilopedia and you can't disband units though this is more of a quibble since units cost nothing to support and a I'd prefer to have more units than less.

heh.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
It still counts if you take a city using the military. I'll tell you what doesn't work, trying for the win without changing governments, and using the Greeks. They don't give it to you since the greeks start with a democracy.

Also, I'm really frustrated with Deity, there is no diplomacy in this game, the AI demands, then demands more, then they all try to take you out. Furthermore, they win some really iffy battles. Twice I had a defense of 48 taken out by an attack of 20.

I love the game, wish the AI would do more than just demand, demand, demand and overwhelm with force.

Dyno

Chris Remo said:
Yeah I find it hard to justify building wonders that can become obsolete, unless I'm going for a cultural victory. It's so heartbreaking when they become worthless, especially if you were relying on their bonuses. I've had it happen the turn after I finally finished building them. :(

Some of the potentially obsolete Wonders are okay if the technology is late game. A Wonder that is going to expire with the discovery of Mass Media, for example, is still going to rock for the majority of the game. It's the ones that are killed with things like Religion or University that are hard to justify, especially if the A.I. are technologically in step with you.

Deku said:
I know people at Firaxis. I've been giving them a lot of unsolicited suggestions about bringing it to the Wii and PSP as if it comes to one, it will most certainly come to the other due to the asset sharing bonus.

I would cry tears of joy if this came out to PSP. I'm not holding my breath though, incredibly unlikely, but I think the PSP could do this game better justice than the DS version... which is already excellent.

pr0cs

squatingyeti said:
I love the game, wish the AI would do more than just demand, demand, demand and overwhelm with force.
I've only been playing on King but I don't think I've ever seen the AI attack or wage war on itself. Pretty much every game I've played all of the civs gang up on you. near the end of the game I could agree with that (if you're close to victory) but even early in the game I never see the AI amass an army on another AI city.

oneHeero

I do wish I saw AI go up against each other but never happens :( What's worse is when one AI is getting close to a victory so you pay someone to pwn them but after 5 turns they reach a peace treaty. 1500 down the fucken drain.

Havent played the game much, I've never EVER changed governments, am I doing it wrong? I like to always have the option to wage war or I'm always in midwar.

Must be why I always lose.

Any word on downloadable content yet?

They should release a patch issues fix sheet to let us know what they are fixing/balancing with each update. I've noticed quite a few bug by now.

Dyno

oneHeero said:
I do wish I saw AI go up against each other but never happens :( What's worse is when one AI is getting close to a victory so you pay someone to pwn them but after 5 turns they reach a peace treaty. 1500 down the fucken drain.

I have played games where on A.I civ attacks and takes over the city of another. I've also seen A.I. civs flip cities of another. That said I've never seen an A.I. civ wipe out another entirely.

Basically it's you against the rest of the world and I think that's a good thing otherwise it would dull the challenge. After five games I'm playing on Emperor (as are others) and some people are already playing at Diety. It doesn't go any higher and so you want these difficulties to be as challenging as possible otherwise the game loses its appeal.

Havent played the game much, I've never EVER changed governments, am I doing it wrong? I like to always have the option to wage war or I'm always in midwar. Must be why I always lose.

Playing as only a Despot is a handicap, though I don't know if the handicap is so great that it would prevent you from ever winning a game. Change governments though. Republic = early civilizational expansion, Monarchy = culture, Democracy = science & tech but you cannot declare war or decline a truce, Fundamentalism = war but lose science, Communism = production but lose culture.

Tenks

Is PS3 online messed up? There is no way that this few number of people are playing. I have literally sat there for 20 minutes in the lobby with no one joining.

hoos30

The AI do fight each other...I think the devs just don't bother to show it on screen.

I played a game last week where India was my neighbor so I could see them on screen all the time. It might have been the way the map was set up, since the only way to get to me was to go through India, but both the Arabs and the Japanese whooped that azz all game long until the Arabs finally knocked them out of the game.

mattoz85

Dax01 said:

I got this achievement without even trying by playing with the Mongols. I didn't create any new cities, except for the Barbarian villages that I conquered. So I ended up with ~7 cities and still got the achievement at the end.

I wish at the end, they would show you the map as a whole and how much you conquered throughout the years (like in Civ 4), when cities were established, etc.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yes, the AI will "fight" each other for a city. However, the AI will not wage holy-motherfucking-war against itself like they will assuredly do against you on Deity. On Deity, as soon as they feel like it, the AI will demand something from you. If you have a great person actually in a city, your only choice is to give him up, or face never ending swarms. If you don't have one, they will just ask for tech, then tech, then tech, then decide they've taken everything they can from you and swarm.

Not only do they swarm you, but they dominate battles they had no business winning. 48 defense (me) vs. 22 offense (AI) TWICE in a row. That's the worst I've seen, but they routinely win battles they shouldn't when they are determined to take a city from you. They develop large numbers of troops, yet somehow continue building other things in the cities.

I'm all for a challenge, but it should never be a challenge based on ridiculous shit. Show the AI how to place cities better, show them how to improve culture, show them how to improve science, but do NOT just have them pull bullshit.

Tenks

Big-E said:
God damn I still can't find this game in the Vancouver area.

Damn good thing I got it when I did. BestBuy and WalMart were both sold out on day1 so I had my friend rent it/keep it on Gamefly for $42 bucks. Got it the Friday of the week it came out.

edit

Any word on that PS3 online question I asked above?

Tenks

DJ Crimson said:
Yes, currently PS3 online is messed up due to the patch that was released. It is possible to find a game but very rare. They have a upcoming patch that will be hopefully released by the end of this month, that will fix that issue among other exploits.

Good to hear. Thanks for the response.

pringles

Dax01 said:
No. ONLY CITIES THAT YOU BUILD YOURSELF COUNT.
I see there's a lot of confusion about ít in this thread.
Conquered cities, or culturally "flipped" cities are fine, just don't build more than one yourself.

squatingyeti said:
Not only do they swarm you, but they dominate battles they had no business winning. 48 defense (me) vs. 22 offense (AI) TWICE in a row. That's the worst I've seen, but they routinely win battles they shouldn't when they are determined to take a city from you. They develop large numbers of troops, yet somehow continue building other things in the cities.
This is one of my biggest annoyances with the game. I've seen one enemy archer unit with a little fortification (in a forest) defeat one of my veteran horsemen armies.
I happened to have saved the round before, so I played around a little to see if the outcome of the battle would be the same everytime. I found out that there was some weird connection between me doing battle against another enemy unit using a warrior army that I had on another location, and the horseman-army vs. archer battle.
Basically, whatever unit I decided to attack first with, won it's battle. So if I attacked the archer with my horseman army first, I completely destroyed the archer. However, if I battled with my warrior army first, which also won it's battle, and then tried to destroy the archer, my horseman army was suddenly pwned to bits by the archer. Same thing happened to my warrior army if I did that battle second.

Don't know if that made any sense, but I find the way the combat works to be highly peculiar.

CzarTim

I've been dying to get a hold of this game, fucking collage is making me broke :( I guess I'll stick with Civ 4 for now...

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've played and won quite a few Deity level games over the last few days, and the AI is just silly, plus it cheats. I can see how development went for this: "Hmm, the hardest difficulty. What should we do? I know, just have all the other Civs mercilessly target the human player!"

The bad thing is, there are easy ways around this. You basically turtle up with enough defenses and they'll not attack, instead just sit around your cities and occasionally throw a Spy at you and then attack a few times, but mostly just sit there and/or shuffle forces around.

The biggest crime, however, is the fact that the AI's airplanes (both bombers and fighters) have unlimited fuel. The AI is free to park planes beside your cities all day long, while you are forced to deal with tiny fuel windows. While I'm griping, I'm also gonna bitch about the fact that you can have only ever have a single nuke. I realize it could be game breaking, but so is a stack of 30 artillery units, and I can make those just fine.

Seriously, I love the game, and it's well made for what it is, but some of this needs to be addressed. I'm happy to see there are patches in the offing; let's hope they rethink some of the design decisions.

Slacker

czartim said:
I've been dying to get a hold of this game, fucking collage is making me broke :( I guess I'll stick with Civ 4 for now...
You must be making one hell of a collage. :eek:

I'm sticking with Civ IV for now BECAUSE I CAN'T PLAY FREAKING MULTIPLAYER THE ONLY REASON I BOUGHT THE DANG GAME. >___< (Yes, PS3 owner here)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
squatingyeti said:
Yes, the AI will "fight" each other for a city. However, the AI will not wage holy-motherfucking-war against itself like they will assuredly do against you on Deity. On Deity, as soon as they feel like it, the AI will demand something from you. If you have a great person actually in a city, your only choice is to give him up, or face never ending swarms. If you don't have one, they will just ask for tech, then tech, then tech, then decide they've taken everything they can from you and swarm.

I'm all for a challenge, but it should never be a challenge based on ridiculous shit. Show the AI how to place cities better, show them how to improve culture, show them how to improve science, but do NOT just have them pull bullshit.

You do have a choice. Make sure that you have archer armies in each city as early as possible, and get democracy early and then get pikemen armies in every city. Reject the enemies demands every time. They'll bleed resources into you, and upgrade your pikemen so much that they can defeat planes and cannons (you'll get +100% defense for leadership, +50% for loyalty, etc).

Once you get Automobile tech and Mass production, just make a few armies of modern infantry, and dozens of artillery armies, and plow through their cities. KEEP THEM ON THE SAME TILES. Tanks can wipe out a dozen artilleries in a single turn if they're undefended. But with modern infantry, they'll be protected. And gradually your modern infantry will obtain a great general, and give all of your artillery a 50% attack boost. Combine that with veteran and infiltration bonuses, and your artillery will do 120 damage (unstoppable).

Tmac

Playing my first emperor game and damm. thats hard.

The AI builds a LOT of units armies and walls.

Im trying to invade india but they have a crazy army with lots of bonuses (veteran, general, guerrila + wall). Even with multiple TANKS armies i can't do a scratch. WTH hehehe.

teh_pwn

Tmac said:

Im trying to invade india but they have a crazy army with lots of bonuses (veteran, general, guerrila + wall). Even with multiple TANKS armies i can't do a scratch. WTH hehehe.

Artillery armies. Late in the game, tanks are only useful for mobility when the enemy is already weak.

teh_pwn

Deity is tough, but I can consistently beat them silly with the Japanese strategy that I posted. Except when the map builder really screws me by placing me a city's distance from the Mongols/India/France:

I know some people are having trouble getting anywhere with Deity because I was one of them. After getting raped countless times, I found a winning build strategy with the Japanese. With it I was able to get tanks/bombers/artillery in the 1700s. I saved this game, and used it to beat all 4 domination types.

Here's the basic idea:

1. Start the game as normal, build your city on the coast.
2. Make three warriors and send them out to kill barbarians as soon as their done separately. Even on Deity mode you'll win 95% of the time so long as you don't do something dumb like attacking over a river.
3. After the third warrior is done, manually allocate all workers to the sea, and set research to Bronze Working so you can use fish and create archers later. Setting your workers to the sea will kill production, but warriors aren't going to kill a Deity enemy anyway. Your city size and science production will blow past your enemies though.
4. Once Bronze Working is complete, tech to Code of Laws.
5. Soon your warriors should have gathered 100+ gold, which grants you a free settler. Allocate the workers similarly.
6. As soon as your city has grown beyond the sea, put workers on forests and make 3 archers in each city and combine into an army.
7. When Code of Laws is finished, immediately switch to Republic. This will allow you to mass settlers without wiping out population of the city that made the settlers. Around this time, your capital should have a pop of 6, and you should have about 200 gold. Notice how Republic allows you to make a settler for the cost of 1 pop (ie 2 science production), but that each settler makes a city of pop 3, which gives you 6 science production. The Japanese food bonus for water makes the cities quickly rebound, and this is why this strategy works so well.
8. Have both of your cities make about 3 settlers each, and use gold to rush at times. Have these cities focus on the sea and make archers.
9. After making about 12 cities, tech to democracy and switch government to democracy.
10. Make a pikemen army in each city for defense.
11. Build a library and temple in each city.
12. Once your bordering cities to enemies have defensive armies, deny every threat they send to you and they'll die every time they try to attack. Let them drain their resources on attacking you, while you tech.
13. Because this build strategy often entails low production, at some point around 500-1500 AD, you'll want to swap science with gold, and buy out markets, banks, courthouses, and harbors, and soon you're economy will be cranking 1,000+ gold per turn. Use that to buy out factories, and then switch back to science.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Tmac said:

Send in Spy Rings to weaken the defenses, then attack with artillery backed up by modern armies. If they are on the water, be sure and park an attack ship nearby (preferably a Battleship Fleet), adjacent to their city. Use the artillery to attack, and it'll get a naval bonus and should be able to beat whatever. If you can place them on a hill, do so.

Tmac

Since you mentioned it, what thieves really do? Do they kill their defenses or just reduces their defense for the current turn?

Another question, later on, is there any unit i can build to have scout? (early on when you build a boat you get a scout unit)

teh_pwn

Tmac said:
Since you mentioned it, what thieves really do? Do they kill their defenses or just reduces their defense for the current turn?

Another question, later on, is there any unit i can build to have scout? (early on when you build a boat you get a scout unit)

If you really need to scout, make a horsemen.

But you really already should have explored at the beginning with warriors. It is insanely important to kill barbarians early in the game. If you don't spend your gold, you get a free settler when you reach 100 gold, and that's like an instant 2x boost.

By the time you finish killing barbarians, you're done scouting the mainland. At this point you'll want to explore the sea. It's where all of the cool relics are. If you get navigation first, send your free boat out to the sea and find the lost city of Atlantis. You get 3 techs instantly. It's located on dark blue ocean, which can only be traveled by the boat allowed by the Navigation tech.

As for spies, I find them worthless. I'll sell them immediately if I am given one early in the game. 35 gold is worth a hell of a lot more. On Deity, the enemy steals the spy from you half of the time.

Ze Germans are my favorite :D
That said, i have a noobish question... I played 3 matches so far. One of them, i won by taking over all the capitols i.e. Domination. The 2nd time i aimed for cultural victory and i again won by Domination even though i had conquered only a single capitol. The third time me and Greek were battling for technology victory by launching space shuttles. Everyone was kicking my ass and Napoleon was crying and taking over my cities but i didnt give a fuck cause Greeks were my number one priority. I nuked the fuck outta Greeks to make em stop launching a shuttle and at 2100AD, Napoleon won for doing nothing!

So my question is, how do u determine someone victorious when time runs out? :/

teh_pwn said:
Deity is tough, but I can consistently beat them silly with the Japanese strategy that I posted. Except when the map builder really screws me by placing me a city's distance from the Mongols/India/France:

I know some people are having trouble getting anywhere with Deity because I was one of them. After getting raped countless times, I found a winning build strategy with the Japanese. With it I was able to get tanks/bombers/artillery in the 1700s. I saved this game, and used it to beat all 4 domination types.

Here's the basic idea:

2. Make three warriors and send them out to kill barbarians as soon as their done separately. Even on Deity mode you'll win 95% of the time so long as you don't do something dumb like attacking over a river.
3. After the third warrior is done, manually allocate all workers to the sea, and set research to Bronze Working so you can use fish and create archers later. Setting your workers to the sea will kill production, but warriors aren't going to kill a Deity enemy anyway. Your city size and science production will blow past your enemies though.
5. Soon your warriors should have gathered 100+ gold, which grants you a free settler. Allocate the workers similarly.
6. As soon as your city has grown beyond the sea, put workers on forests and make 3 archers in each city and combine into an army.
7. When Code of Laws is finished, immediately switch to Republic. This will allow you to mass settlers without wiping out population of the city that made the settlers. Around this time, your capital should have a pop of 6, and you should have about 200 gold. Notice how Republic allows you to make a settler for the cost of 1 pop (ie 2 science production), but that each settler makes a city of pop 3, which gives you 6 science production. The Japanese food bonus for water makes the cities quickly rebound, and this is why this strategy works so well.
8. Have both of your cities make about 3 settlers each, and use gold to rush at times. Have these cities focus on the sea and make archers.
9. After making about 12 cities, tech to democracy and switch government to democracy.
12. Once your bordering cities to enemies have defensive armies, deny every threat they send to you and they'll die every time they try to attack. Let them drain their resources on attacking you, while you tech.
13. Because this build strategy often entails low production, at some point around 500-1500 AD, you'll want to swap science with gold, and buy out markets, banks, courthouses, and harbors, and soon you're economy will be cranking 1,000+ gold per turn. Use that to buy out factories, and then switch back to science.
Hm. I'll just add this to the OP.

Jon

Alright, I finally finished an epic, 4-hour game where I won by Domination with the Romans. It was only on Warlord, but for some reason the Russians and Germans would not leave me alone the entire game. In the end, I had 17 total cities, including all top 10 in the world. Every city had every possible building built in it, and I think I ended up with close to 1000 total units. I was hoping there would be an achievement for having each type of victory with one civilization as I accomplished this now with the Romans. Now I need to move on to something a little different (I know the Romans are very overpowered.)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
teh_pwn said:

Here's the basic idea:

Yeah, that's a strategy, but have you won with a different civilization on Deity?

Dire

How to win with egyptians on deity:

1. put everybody on production, rush two warriors who go exploring the map. from now on, everybody goes on food until there are no food squares left. then all tech. your tech goal is in step 4.
2. get 100 gold for the free settler asap, sell tech to other civs if necessary.
3. with your new settler place him in a location surrounded by preferably at least 4 desert squares. desert + plains is ideal, although even just desert by itself is fine.
4. rush to code of laws (buy libraries/etc). with your desert bonus, you should be the first to research it. this gives you a free trade post in one of your cities, which will make this city an insane trade producer.
5. rush currency. again you should be the first to finish this, and you will get a free market in one of your cities. swap this city to gold production.
6. rush democracy while saving up gold. at 250 gold you get banking. buy a bank in your gold city. it will generally cost 360 gold.

At this point you should be in the early AD, just about the time the AI starts going crazy on you - and your gold city should be producing somewhere from 80-200gold/turn. The next step is to save up and purchase useful wonders for your gold city: colossus if nobody is near invention (you can check which civs have researched its requisities using the civopedia) and assuming you didn't start with it, the trade fair, and the east india trade company. Obviously rush pikemen and walls as needed for protection. Alternatively you could just buy off the AI since you are very close to being unstoppable at this point.

It shouldn't be long until you're pumping out 300+ gold/turn. It's game over now. Max out your cities' buildings as you see fit. Ensure proper protection of your city - and now start jamming out the knights. You can finish the game now, or you can rush to combustion, buy leonardo's workshop and convert all your knights to tanks for a straight forward domination victory or go for a tech/culture victory.

If you can afford to rush a galley early on, then that makes things even easier but it's not really necessary.

Top Bottom