• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution Thread

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Will pick this up after i finished MGS4 this or BattleField the demos really sold them both so well!!!

$79 bucks each AUS GAF at JB HiFi.

I'm heading to JB next week to get this. Thanks for the heads up.

MMaRsu

Haeleos said:
That's ok. Today I played a 6 hour match of Civ 4 and lost. Talk about a waste of time...

Yeah I shut it off cause I got pissed when I saw I was losing..man ain't that a bitch?

:p

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I loved Civilization II back on PSOne, so this game is perfect for me. I just missed a Domination win (stupid archers in Rome).

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Wait, so the game is definitely region-free? Someone on another board just told me that the back of the box explicitly says:

""For use only with XBox 360 entertainment systems with "PAL" designation and PAL TV's capable of displaying a 60Hz signal"."

He said there wasn't a specific region code on the box, though.
It doesn't seem to have the PAL60 logo on the front of the box, so it looks like that's not required at least. Don't have access to a US machine to check if it's region free or not though, sorry.

For people wondering, the manual is only 44 pages long — nothing like the thick Civ II manual I seem to remember. (Disappointingly, the manuals for Civ IV complete were PDFs on the disc)

MMaRsu said:
Fuck man I'm finding it impossible to beat the computer AI on king difficulty.. :\

I manage to stay on everybody's good side, but then after a while Egypt just started attacking me, and they had like 10/15 cruisers, and lots and lots of bombers. How the hell do they get the tech so fast??

I was pretty good I had the best city that game, but I just turned it off because I was losing city's and it was a losing battle against them.

FUCK just lost 2 hours of my life playing a worthless match :( any tips?
Civ is hard. It seems like you really have to learn how to play it before you'll get anywhere. I think I'm going to start on Revolution and stop playing Civ IV for a while now — it's just too deep for me. Once I get to a certain point in the game I get a bit overwhelmed and unsure about what I should be doing for expansion/research etc.

Getting this later on today won't be able to play it though till tomorrow at least as I'm getting MGS4 as well and my brother will be playing that all night.

Looking forward to this more than MGS4

MMaRsu said:
Yeah I shut it off cause I got pissed when I saw I was losing..man ain't that a bitch?

:p

if you wanna play an online match add me to your to your list (my avatar is my gc). I can give you some pointers.

hitoshi

andrewfee said:
For people wondering, the manual is only 44 pages long — nothing like the thick Civ II manual I seem to remember. (Disappointingly, the manuals for Civ IV complete were PDFs on the disc)

It's quite informative, surprisingly.

civrevobookletiu9.jpg

Gowans

might pick this up over the weekend after I finish MGS4.

Hows the online set up? the main reason I will be playing is to hang out in games online.

MMaRsu get your practice in ;)

MMaRsu

Gowans007 said:
might pick this up over the weekend after I finish MGS4.

Hows the online set up? the main reason I will be playing is to hang out in games online.

MMaRsu get your practice in ;)

Don't know how the online is set up, you can go head to head or teams, but haven't tried either yet because noone has the game.

The leaderboard is mostly filled with 2k gamertags like 2k10retail :lol

Pick this up EU gamers, I want competition ^_^

I bought Civ 4 (not the complete but the first version without expansions) the day of release and I got a 224 pages thick manual with it. I got nothing with my copy of Civ 3 though. Still looking for the strategy guide for the latter. These games require thorough studying of the civilpedia. And even then be able to use your turns in best way possible is hard. The micromanagement has a steep curve. I have played online matches on civ 3 where enemies where at the gates with rifle men within the first 15 turns or so. Civ Rev is a good game. Sofar I always got the ICMB but not be able to wipe out a capital just plain sucks.

hitoshi

I've just finished my first game, it took 3 hours. I played it on the lowest difficulty setting to get used to the interface and everything else but I'll never do it again, there is absolutely no challange. When I've reached 1956, I've had 9 cities with a gold production rate of 1000 per turn, I've had sherman thanks and all of that. I wanted to achieve a cultural victory, but I could have literally won by any means: only 2 enemy capitals remained, I've sent my spacecraft towards Alpha Centauri, I was just 2000 golds away from economic victory.

Awesome game nontheless, but the last 1 hour was nothing but clicking through the rounds, I've built EVERYTHING in all cities, I've nothing to do but to wait which way I win first.

Tobor

TheHeretic said:
I really want to get this but I need to read some more reviews! Stupid Americans don't get it for ages.

Don't remind me. I'm dying for this game, and there is still no reasonable explanation for the delay.

itxaka

Defeatist
this game is the shit.

Played yesterday until 7 am.

It´s a shame the maps are so small, but maybe it´s because i´m playing on easy.

Anyway, I saw, on each civilization to choose there is 4 circles around it that says how have you win with that civilization.

I am wondering if there is an achievement for winning with all civs all types of win ¬_¬

nli10

Tobor said:
Don't remind me. I'm dying for this game, and there is still no reasonable explanation for the delay.

Your nation lacks diplomacy and researched the SDI Defense instead of United Nations. Easy rookie mistake. ;)

Banned
hitoshi said:
I've just finished my first game, it took 3 hours. I played it on the lowest difficulty setting to get used to the interface and everything else but I'll never do it again, there is absolutely no challange. When I've reached 1956, I've had 9 cities with a gold production rate of 1000 per turn, I've had sherman thanks and all of that. I wanted to achieve a cultural victory, but I could have literally won by any means: only 2 enemy capitals remained, I've sent my spacecraft towards Alpha Centauri, I was just 2000 golds away from economic victory.

Awesome game nontheless, but the last 1 hour was nothing but clicking through the rounds, I've built EVERYTHING in all cities, I've nothing to do but to wait which way I win first.
That's exactly what I was just coming here to say. I went as far as I could without actually winning on all accounts, and then ended up getting a cultural victory as I didn't realise the UN was just about finished. I ended up getting 16 achievements from my first game! :lol I was producing about 4000-5000 cash per turn, and could instantly build anything I wanted.

Absolutely love it, but there's plenty of room for an expansion/dlc. It would be nice to have a choice of map size for a start. It's ok as it is, but it would be nice to have larger ones as an option.

I look forward to spending more time with it later. :D

hitoshi

andrewfee said:
That's exactly what I was just coming here to say. I went as far as I could without actually winning on all accounts, and then ended up getting a cultural victory as I didn't realise the UN was just about finished. I ended up getting 16 achievements from my first game! :lol I was producing about 4000-5000 cash per turn, and could instantly build anything I wanted.

Absolutely love it, but there's plenty of room for an expansion/dlc. It would be nice to have a choice of map size for a start. It's ok as it is, but it would be nice to have larger ones as an option.

I look forward to spending more time with it later. :D

Okay, I've finished my second game, took 3 hours as well. Well, i'm addicted. This time i was on the second difficulty and to be honest, there were some really tight situations at the beginning, but when I've reached 1910, I was able to build a small but powerful army, consisting of bombers, tanks and so on. I planned to win the whole game by military force but the map was HUGE. With Revolution scale of course, but it was too big for me to manage it. So, I've had an economic victory with the Germans :)

To be honest I really like it, but I feel that it will not last as long as the other CIV episodes: I've only played two games but I think that I know nearly everything about the game. I've a winner strategy, I know how to spread rapidly, which tech to develop first - there is no variety, I can play CIV3 until I die but this... but enough. Great game, a little bit shallow, but the multiplayer option will greatly help this.

Banned
hitoshi said:
To be honest I really like it, but I feel that it will not last as long as the other CIV episodes: I've only played two games but I think that I know nearly everything about the game. I've a winner strategy, I know how to spread rapidly, which tech to develop first - there is no variety, I can play CIV3 until I die but this... but enough. Great game, a little bit shallow, but the multiplayer option will greatly help this.
I agree with you there—I'm a little concerned about the staying power of the game. The good thing is that there are the achievements to get, and each leader has four icons showing what kinds of victories you've had. If you're going to try and get them all, I imagine that will take quite some time.

Tobor

nli10 said:
Your nation lacks diplomacy and researched the SDI Defense instead of United Nations. Easy rookie mistake. ;)

I'm laughing and grimacing at the same time. It's quite painful.

FightyF

Banned
I'm hooked on the demo. I WANT IT NOW. I was prepared to buy it this weekend and then I saw this thread...

US: July 9th for all three platforms.

I suppose I could import the PS3 version...can't I? But I'd also like to be able to play Live...

Maybe I should just wait, so I can focus on MGS4 for the time being. But man...this game...I can't get enough of it. Played the demo too many times (and each time I get choked when I run out of turns).

FightyF said:
I suppose I could import the PS3 version...can't I? But I'd also like to be able to play Live...

Maybe I should just wait, so I can focus on MGS4 for the time being. But man...this game...I can't get enough of it. Played the demo too many times (and each time I get choked when I run out of turns).
:lol

besiktas1

Ok played the demo and it was awesome, defiantly a buy for me, just one question though, I'm going away on holiday soon so was thinking to buy it for the DS.

Other than the graphics what are the differences, should I get it for the DS instead?

edit: oh yeah, because of this game I am blindly buying Pirates! for the psp just because it has Sid Meier's name on it :D

lsslave

Jew Gamer
besiktas1 said:
Ok played the demo and it was awesome, defiantly a buy for me, just one question though, I'm going away on holiday soon so was thinking to buy it for the DS.

Other than the graphics what are the differences, should I get it for the DS instead?

edit: oh yeah, because of this game I am blindly buying Pirates! for the psp just because it has Sid Meier's name on it :D

99 percent positive he said in an interview the ONLY difference is graphics (and maybe online play... dunno)

The Pirates! series of games are awesome, always have been, but COMPLETELY different, don't go in expecting the same type of game because its a complete 180

Hootie

HOLY SHIT!! In the demo I built Oxford University, got Atomic Theory, SOMEHOW rushed the Manhatten Project and then nuked the living shit out of the Zulu during the year 1050 AD :lol :lol :lol Poor ancient bastards got the mindfucking of their lives; they hadn't learned either writing, alphabet, or pottery yet and got smashed by an ICBM :lol

Greatest demo I have ever played. Day 1!

FightyF

Banned
Hootie said:
HOLY SHIT!! In the demo I built Oxford University, got Atomic Theory, SOMEHOW rushed the Manhatten Project and then nuked the living shit out of the Zulu during the year 1050 AD :lol :lol :lol Poor ancient bastards got the mindfucking of their lives; they hadn't learned either writing, alphabet, or pottery yet and got smashed by an ICBM :lol

:lol I'm gonna have to try that.

I'd have to be playing on the easiest setting to do that though. I'm finding myself battling every civilization I see because they threaten me, on the second difficulty level.

I think the difficulty levels will give the game some replayability for me. I'm sure you can know everything you need to know about the game, but the challenges and strategies could be different between each difficulty level.

Hootie said:

:lol

Wow I need to try that.

xbhaskarx

Map Questions:

So how big are the maps in the full game?
Can you control map size and similar stuff (% land, climate) when you first start a game?
Are all the maps randomly generated?

hitoshi

xbhaskarx said:
Map Questions:

So how big are the maps in the full game?
Can you control map size and similar stuff (% land, climate) when you first start a game?
Are all the maps randomly generated?

1. If i'm correct it depends on the difficulty level - that's my experience, not a fact, prove me wrong If i'm mistaken
2. No, you can't, that's quite a hit for an avid CIV player
3. Yes they are

An other thing: the final game goes MUCH slower than the demo version, researches are taking longer, up until you have a well-built empire, then it switches to Flash mode.

I've never played a demo so much in my life, usually I play them once, beat them and delete them. I'm definitely getting this game....I guess demos can sell games because I wouldn't buy it otherwise.

MMaRsu

Hootie said:

How the hell do you research so fast??? Built science in all city's??

besiktas1

lsslave said:
99 percent positive he said in an interview the ONLY difference is graphics (and maybe online play... dunno)

The Pirates! series of games are awesome, always have been, but COMPLETELY different, don't go in expecting the same type of game because its a complete 180
!

Day one for me then.... the question is do I buy it twice once for DS and once for 360?

Integra

Neo Member
finally had the chance to play the demo for Civilization: Revolution. I thought it was awesome to see it in its glory. I had seen it being played on the PC before, but now its interesting seeing it on a TV screen. I'm still debating about whether or not to get it for my PS3.

Hootie

MMaRsu said:
How the hell do you research so fast??? Built science in all city's??
TurtleSnatcher said:
:lol Wow I need to try that.
Dax01 said:
Hootie, what technologies did you research to get ahead so quickly?:lol :lol
FightyF said:
:lol I'm gonna have to try that.

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I built about 4 cities. The first city produced just 2 warriors and then 3 settlers. I founded the three other cities, made their population either 2 or 3, and built Library's in every city. Then, I built a Great Library in my capital, Rome, and set every city to double/triple science. Make sure you build your cities with at least 2 blocks surrounding it in the ocean, because that's pretty much the only place you can study science. I gradually got to University, and I think I got a Great Person to rush it. Then, I built Oxford, and was given the ability of Atomic Theory (you get either that or Flight). My friend and I RUSHED to get me as much money as humanly possible; he sent me caravans to steal and gain money buy bringing them to cities, I sold all of my technology to Alexander, etc. Finally, with 15 turns left on the Manhattan Project and with about 1100 gold, I rushed it and was given an ICBM. Naturally, I used it as soon as possible and utterly annihilated the Zulu. Needless to say, Shaka was not amused. :lol

Later on I actually learned other advanced technologies such as Gunpowder, Steam Power, and Railroads. It was pretty epic destroying my friends ancient Galleys and Galleons with modern Cruiser Fleets :D

hitoshi

I've finally won in every way possible: the latest one was domination and to be honest, it was the best so far. The Mongolians are awesome, I've had nearly 6 cities in 5 minutes because barbarian villages are automatically converted to cities.

Hootie said:
I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I built about 4 cities. The first city produced just 2 warriors and then 3 settlers. I founded the three other cities, made their population either 2 or 3, and built Library's in every city. Then, I built a Great Library in my capital, Rome, and set every city to double/triple science. Make sure you build your cities with at least 2 blocks surrounding it in the ocean, because that's pretty much the only place you can study science. I gradually got to University, and I think I got a Great Person to rush it. Then, I built Oxford, and was given the ability of Atomic Theory (you get either that or Flight). My friend and I RUSHED to get me as much money as humanly possible; he sent me caravans to steal and gain money buy bringing them to cities, I sold all of my technology to Alexander, etc. Finally, with 15 turns left on the Manhattan Project and with about 1100 gold, I rushed it and was given an ICBM. Naturally, I used it as soon as possible and utterly annhilated the Zulu. Needless to say, Shaka was not amused. :lol

Later on I actually learned other advanced technologies such as Gunpowder, Steam Power, and Railroads. It was pretty epic destroying my friends ancient Galleys and Galleons with modern Cruiser Fleets :D

Gotta try that.:lol :lol Can't wait to get this game.:lol

Cromat

The Mongolians are incredible. I won a Domination victory on King without ever building a single settler.

So far I like the Romans, Mongolians and Zulu the most. I like it how they gave each (well, most) Civ a huge overpowered bonus (in Civ4 terms) but it all kinda balances out. Every time I play with a different Civ I say "that one is definately the best!"

I really recommend this game, it takes the best of Civ4 and makes it less intimidating. Civ4 is a lot deeper though, and this game should really have more options (map type and size, victory types, number of opponents etc.).

besiktas1

lsslave said:

well just an update :) I ordered pirates from play.com

£25

FightyF

Banned
Hootie said:
I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I built about 4 cities. The first city produced just 2 warriors and then 3 settlers. I founded the three other cities, made their population either 2 or 3, and built Library's in every city. Then, I built a Great Library in my capital, Rome, and set every city to double/triple science. Make sure you build your cities with at least 2 blocks surrounding it in the ocean, because that's pretty much the only place you can study science. I gradually got to University, and I think I got a Great Person to rush it. Then, I built Oxford, and was given the ability of Atomic Theory (you get either that or Flight). My friend and I RUSHED to get me as much money as humanly possible; he sent me caravans to steal and gain money buy bringing them to cities, I sold all of my technology to Alexander, etc. Finally, with 15 turns left on the Manhattan Project and with about 1100 gold, I rushed it and was given an ICBM. Naturally, I used it as soon as possible and utterly annihilated the Zulu. Needless to say, Shaka was not amused. :lol

I tried twice and I got Flight both times. :(

Karish

Im totally digging this game, but as it progressed, my frame rate got worse and worse. Did this happen to anyone else?

Kinan

Blakero said:
Im totally digging this game, but as it progressed, my frame rate got worse and worse. Did this happen to anyone else?

Well, in demo on PS3 there is some kind of memory leak, since if you have your game running for a long time its slowing down.Once I left it running on credits after win for an hour, and after that I barely could leave the game, it slowed down PS3 so much, that every keypress took 5s to register. Amazing, first time I meet this type of bug on a console.

Hope its fixed in the retail version, should get it next week.

Top Bottom